• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] BUGGED Lava Lobster Traps

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you talking about when you stack them they no longer say Lava traps but then say they are regular traps? I have been afraid to stack any more for fear that it destroys them as Lava traps.

B

Beastmaster

No, they don't catch anything when used in lava. They don't *bob* either. Instead they say "the fish aren't biting here". Leave them in as long as you like and you never catch anything, but they can sink like regular traps.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't remember anyone ever catching anything in the Lava traps. They have never worked to my knowledge.

V

vvvaaannn

Seems like there are at least four possibilities to this problem. 1. We are not using the lava traps in the right location. Has anyone tried them in Tel Mur, or any other overland areas? There remains one "missing" lobster (Void Lobster) and the name would "suggest" that as a likely location. I would test this out myself, but I long ago sank all my traps. 2. They do work, but would only "appear" to do so if successful. Hence, they only "bob" if you in fact catch a void lobster or perhaps other "rare", but the chances are so small that they always "appear" to fail. 3. They truely do not work. 4. They truely do not work, and are necessary to catch the missing Void Lobster.

Of those options, the last seems the least likely. Even as slow as the dev team is about fixing bugs, I would assume that they would have worked this one into the last patch. Likewise, I would assume that option 3 falls into that same conclusion (Yes, perhaps I am being a bit over optimistic). I actually think that it is option one or two.

Has anyone received Book 6? That would perhaps give the information that is lost. I assume that info is not in book 5?

Thoughts

B

Beastmaster

I have tried them in Ter Mur (volcano area), the Abyss, and the Tokuno volcano. All the same. Fail.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hint: Lava lobster traps are not bugged, it's just that most lava pools don't have any life in them. There are more hints to the location in one of the fishing books.

Hint 2: Currently, the void lobster is the only lobster that can be caught with the lava lobster trap. The longer that a trap is in the lava, the greater chance to get a void lobster. Since there is only one creature the lava trap can catch in lava, if the bouy bobs... you caught one.

Hint 3: since the Void Lobster is a "Legendary" status, it's practically impossible to catch them if you are not lgm in fishing. Basically, they are intented to be the rarest lobster in the game (for now anyway) because you must have a trap that is only available randomly through the fishing quest, be in the right place, be lgm fishing, and get really lucky. The reward is an extremely rare lobster that can be made into a trophy.

General Hint: The way traps work is that they are on a pulse. Each pulse there is a chance to catch something. Each pulse, the chance to catch something Enchanted or Legendary goes up. Also, each pulse the chance to lose the trap goes up. After about 10 minutes, the chance to lose the trap is about 50/50. A trap can hold up to 5 lobsters or crabs (once it bobs 5 times, it's full).

BTW, we made the change you all requested and now lobsters and crabs from the fishing quest have the same reward weight as deep sea fish.

B

Beastmaster

What are the odds of getting that book? No one has seen it either, despite tens of thousands of quests being done. Is it book 6 in the series?

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it is called
"Order of the Dragonfish Handbook, Part 6"
"Legendary Sea Creatures"

Basically, if you have that book it says plainly where it is... as in, I wouldn't call it a hint, it just tells you. I just looked it up again to be sure.

I have to say that I am surprised that so few are out there at this point. Within it's bracket it is the same chance as getting a book in a lower bracket. However, it is in the top reward bracket.

The change in crustacean weight might bump the probability of getting into the top bracket enough that the stats start modelling more like I would have thought they would. It should also decrease the number of orders in the bottom reward bracket which will effectively reduce the influx of the lowest bracket books. I guess only time will tell how much it is reduced.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally some confirmation. Lets hope it is possible to get book part 6.
Does it in same reward group with part 5?

I had order with all dungeon fish 15/20/20/15/15/20 and got just part 5 :yell:

V

vvvaaannn

Wow thanks for the reply!!!! So I guess my theory #2 IS correct as is the fact that in Book 6 all is revealed. Now,, if someone would just tell me what is in book 6 . . . :danceb::danceb:

V

vvvaaannn

Heya Mark_Mythic, since we seem to have your attention: How about the following: How many level of rare fish/crustatians are there? What is the chance to catch at each level at 120 skill? I realize that there is a hardy measure of the RNG at issue, but a general number would be appreciated.