• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Rare Fish

G

goonball

There are quite a few rare fish on Stratics/UOGuide where there are pictures of the fish but little information about them (i.e. Bull Fish, Crystal Fish, Golden Tuna, Rainbow Fish, Winter Dragonfish, Zombie Fish, etc.). So I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful information that might help rare fish hunters like myself get a better idea of where and how to catch them.

Stratics Fish List: Fishing in the High Seas

UOGuide Fish List: Fish - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the information on those pages came from the High Seas Beta shard where the contributors of those pages were able to set their fishing skill to 120 instantly. For this reason, your chance to catch one with a fishing skill lower than 120 is a big unknown at the moment.

Furthermore, being on a test shard, we were able to set odd templates that fit dungeon fishing which made us catch those rare fishes with less interruption from the spawn around the fishing spot of the dungeons.

Most of those rare fish are caught by using the logic put forward by Crysta: Name vs. Spot. So we searched for Crystal Fish inside the Prism of Light cause that's where the crystals are, and Bull Fish inside Labyrinth cause that is where the bull-like creatures, minatours are.

Catching rare fish at the deepwaters of the various facets is pretty straight forward, I dont think you need any advice on that. For the rare dungeon fish, basic methods like luring the spawn away, casting invisibility spell, hiding etc. proved to be very useful.

Some of the locations these dungeon fish are caught are as follows: One of the Crystal Fish is caught on the north edge of the river inside the Prism of Light where crystal sea serpents and crystal hydra spawns around. One of the Bull Fish is caught at the waters just north-west of Miasma. One of the Summer Dragonfish is caught at the middle well north west of the first level of Destard. One of the Reaper fish is caught on the same screen as the bell inside Doom. Winter Dragonfish is caught on the first bridge to the north east at Ice. One of the Fire Fish is caught at the long bridge of the second level of Shame. Most of the Lava Fish is caught on the bridge near the gray goblins, or south of the stairs to the Abyss.

We're still missing information on some of these rare fish, I have to confess that after spending three hours to catch a rare fish in Twisted Weald (which I couldnt but finally others did which was a relief), I pretty much quit seeking for the new ones. There are names at the end of the stratics page, those people slept too little during the beta just to provide those information, so they probably took a break from hours of fishing on certain dungeon spots, just for the chance to catch a rare fish.

Thanks for reminding us that there are still some rare fish out there that are not accounted for. Use Crysta's advice to find those: Name vs. Spot.

G

goonball

Thanks for the info! Yeah there are a lot of these which I've kind of wagered guesses on and gone from there, but it's great to know more of the specifics. On that note, I decided to buckle down and fish for a while in Tokuno today and I managed to catch a Golden Tuna which leads me to believe that it's the Tram equivilent of the Blue Marlin and that the Giant Samurai Fish, if it exists, would be on par with the Kingfish (for me the Kingfish was harder to catch than the Blue Marlin). Gonna do more fishing today and see how things go. And for the record I was at 105 when I caught the Golden Tuna.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The books that you get from the fishing quest will tell you where each of them are.

M

Muu Bin

The books that you get from the fishing quest will tell you where each of them are.
I beg to differ Mark.

While I don't have Vol. 3 of the books, I do have Vol. 4 and no where does it mention any of the rare crustaceans. The book, as it is called, only mentions "Uncommon" crustaceans. The rare ones, for instance the blue lobster, are not mentioned. Can anyone else confirm that the Vol. 3 - the dungeon fish - do or do not contain any more than the usual ones that can be fished up in the dungeon?

This being said, I am going off the premise that there are only 4 volumes.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree muu bin i have dozens of full sets now and none of them mention rare fish or where to catch them..:gee: and thats if there are 4 in a full set..

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the locations these dungeon fish are caught are as follows: One of the Crystal Fish is caught on the north edge of the river inside the Prism of Light where crystal sea serpents and crystal hydra spawns around. One of the Bull Fish is caught at the waters just north-west of Miasma. One of the Summer Dragonfish is caught at the middle well north west of the first level of Destard. One of the Reaper fish is caught on the same screen as the bell inside Doom. Winter Dragonfish is caught on the first bridge to the north east at Ice. One of the Fire Fish is caught at the long bridge of the second level of Shame. Most of the Lava Fish is caught on the bridge near the gray goblins, or south of the stairs to the Abyss.

Question.

Dungeon fish are not catchable anywhere in the dungeon where there is water or lava?

I mean, when you say "One of the Crystal Fish is caught on the north edge of the river inside the Prism of Light where crystal sea serpents and crystal hydra spawns around" does it mean that it can be caught only in that specific spot and nowhere else in the Prism of Light ?

I thought that any water pond or lava pool was good to fish up these type of rare fish.
It is not the case and one has to fish in specific, limited spots ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it means that's where someone caught one, but you'll see from this map, there isn't really anywhere else you can fish in that dungeon

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got part 5 of the handbook. I think there is another part. It doesnt have blue or black marlin, stone fish, void crab, it does have stone crab listed.

M

Muu Bin

I got part 5 of the handbook. I think there is another part. It doesnt have blue or black marlin, stone fish, void crab, it does have stone crab listed.
Ah. I was under the impression that there were only 4 books to obtain. Not sure if this was written in publish notes or in a post on these boards.

So if book #5 mentions the stone crab... was this the only creature listed? What is the book called? And where does it list its location?

Thanks!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah. I was under the impression that there were only 4 books to obtain. Not sure if this was written in publish notes or in a post on these boards.

So if book #5 mentions the stone crab... was this the only creature listed? What is the book called? And where does it list its location?

Thanks!

I believe that the book(s) past the 4th (i.e. 5th and perhaps 6th) are rewards for orders containing dungeon fish and thus, only available to those players, currently, at 106 fishing skill or above.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Just so tired to death doing all of these quests for crappy book prizes.

M

Muu Bin

I believe that the book(s) past the 4th (i.e. 5th and perhaps 6th) are rewards for orders containing dungeon fish and thus, only available to those players, currently, at 106 fishing skill or above.
Unfortunately, I made the assumption that there were only 4 books - hence my disagreement with Mark_Mythic's statement. Since we have someone posting that they have a 5th book, then what you have stated above Popps makes sense.

Sellingahouse.... it would be really helpful if you would let us know what your skill level was at when you received the 5th book. This might then confirm what Popps has suggested.