• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how about we fix this, eh?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so, its been what.... 3 years now?

how about we fix it so that faction pets can attack the same freaking factions.

wow that would be so nice.

i love it when a red from the same faction as me walks up and kills all my pets and they dont even auto defend.

or i can tell them to kill him, and they do nothing.

that is awesome.

i know i know, this is the first anyone from the dev team is probably hearing of this... oh wait, nope, this has been around for a couple years now.

well shoot.
maybe if we are lucky a fix will come around.

guess ill just sit here and wait for it so that i can actually get INTO my own faction base as the Commanding Lord without getting killed by a pack of my own faction guys that are only there to kill their own fellow faction guys.

ill just wait, im sure they will fix it soon.

:sleep2:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
there is nothing more frustrating then sitting there watching some guild cut through your defence when they are in your own faction just so they can kill you and you cant do anything but stand there and watch them.

blue or red, ya cant even fight back.

and they know it, which is why they are doing it.

its kinda a game ender when you are playing that toon.
cause you cant fight or do anything.

id probably do better being there on a Tinker and throwing scissors or something at them.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
unfortunately that bug is only bug 1 of 1000000000000 involving faction brokenness (and yes, the bug you listed does suck, i've hit it too as my warrior rode a lesser and when sparring with guildmates he refused to obey me)

A few others I'd like to see fixed
1. get rid of faction dye, it's sooooooooo broken and hard to tell what items are affected or not as they can be dyed over again
2. a "fix" a year or so back completely broke faction points on siege, we now no longer get points for kills unless it happens in the origional lands. (didnt realize at first, as i was killing people here and there in the abyss...you know..where everyone ACTUALLY goes, and my points decayed and my armor fell off....because i was getting nothing for the kills)
3. can't cross heal when attacking TB base as it gets us guardwhacked.... (also cant use most spells there either)
4. point system on most shards is completely broken...you're either rank 1 if you have no kills, or rank 10 if you have 1 or more kills, it's silly that 1 kill makes you rank 10
5. on siege at least Minax cannot place faction vendors, so warhorses are not available to our faction, Com and TB however can
and i could go on and on about faction bugs, the system is basicly at the point where it's better to throw it out and start over (Order & Chaos back plz?), especially with some stuff like how unfair the faction guards from different factions are, for instance the minax guards really suck, they dont have any attacks worth speaking of, where the COM guards if you bunch them up simultaniously mind blast anything that comes on screen, often instakilling you if you cant get back quickly enough. Alone or in small groups the guards arent bad but if you've never had to clear out the overpass by TB base when it's packed with COM guards....ugh... you're basicly running on and off screen firing at them hoping not too many hit you at once.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to see these changes made to factions. along with what the OP suggests.

Reset all faction points and hard cap them at 100. Most shards point value is just way out of control and should have been addressed a long time ago.
they fixed an exploit in which people were able to accumulate mass faction points, but they didn't bother to reset the points.

Once you hit rank 10, your rank should not "decay" below that point, unless you leave a faction. If there was enough "Faction-Action" the current decay system would be fine but unfortunately it is not on some shards.

G

goldenpower

factions are a joke. there are not enough people playing the game for it to be meaningful. they should just remove it and remove the overpowered faction artifacts.

C

Carharrt

factions are a joke. there are not enough people playing the game for it to be meaningful. they should just remove it and remove the overpowered faction artifacts.
This. Hate the faction arty crap and hate the monster ignore crap even more.

Talk about game imbalance.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
..... says the person who dosnt play factions.

ive just spent the last 2 days on 3 shards doing nothing but running sigs and fighting.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
atry imbalance?

really?

HCI 10 is a game ender for ya?

seriously, in this day and age of being able to craft uber level stuff i dont think HCI 10 on a talisman or a set of gloves as being a unfair advantage.

or an exta couple resists on a breastplate.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
atry imbalance?

really?

HCI 10 is a game ender for ya?

seriously, in this day and age of being able to craft uber level stuff i dont think HCI 10 on a talisman or a set of gloves as being a unfair advantage.

or an exta couple resists on a breastplate.
With the new loot on prodo, probably not, but that's a bit besides the point, it's more of that it's kinda insulting and an utter kick to the balls for the people spent months to years in doom farming to get one, or for non-faction people who had spent 40 mil+ for one of the best mage items in the game, for the faction version to be available for the price of about 30 minutes AFK in one of the daemon rooms in hythloth or fire.

On siege also (though this is more specific to us, since we have no insurance) being able to spend a few silver whenever you want to get a higher end version of artifacts most people can't even afford to risk wearing the normal version of is terribly unbalancing, especially since the tali, crimson, and library reward stuff that the real versions are extremely rare are so readily available....then add onto that that faction people can equip anyone elses armor but when you kill a faction person their armor is utterly worthless to you. (and yes, I was faction, and I freely admit this was a problem, but i still wore them because it was the only cost effective way to build a dexxer suit that could compete, i could have done the same with imbued items but it would cost me 10x as much to build suits)

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you using the EC because I downloaded an add-on UI and it has an other settings section with block war on Pets, Party, and Guild. Not certain this response is related to your problem, but just checking...

-Lorax

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not a EC thing, it's a factions thing, pets won't listen to commands or auto-defend against things of the same faction. (someone, for instance, if they wanted to break TB's defences, could have a character on another account join TB and freely kill all their pets and the pets will refuse to attack or defend themselves)

C

Carharrt

..... says the person who dosnt play factions.

ive just spent the last 2 days on 3 shards doing nothing but running sigs and fighting.
While I used to play factions... I haven`t in quite awhile. I don`t care what you faction people do,but when it effects the rest of the non factioners..... it gets stupid,especially on Siege.

Even with the low pop on SP.... How is a normie supposed to defend against a factioneer who doesn`t get attacked by mobs and is decked out in faction arties? Real talent/skill there. THAT is a huge part of what made SP so low pop IMHO,but thats another thread.....

I won`t even wade into the faction pool these days. To many exploits and a$$hats, it would just end in aggravation.

Trash it and bring back order/chaos.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the problem that prompted this change caught the developers' attention back in 2008 and was a Siege/Mugen-only issue. My understanding at the time was that certain people in a faction would redline their characters and then attack the guarding pets of a character in the same faction. They would quickly die because of being redlined and the owner of the pets would lose points/life force under a rule unique to factions on Siege and Mugen.

http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-factions/57695-attacking-your-own-faction.html

I think there was another thread about the issue in UHall around the same time that might have included a response from Draconi, but I was unable to find it in the archives. His reply (if I remember correctly) was that what was happening on Siege sure looked like griefing.

I think the change that made it impossible to attack a fellow faction character with your pets or summons dates to Publish 56 in late October 2008, which included this line: "Faction members in the Hero/Evil system on Siege Perilous and Mugen will no longer be able to grief their teammates by causing them to lose kill-points when auto-defending."

The inability to use pets and summons to attack fellow faction characters was first noticed on other shards in early November 2008: http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-fact...s-attack-our-own-faction-members-anymore.html.

Maybe one of the designers/developers can go back to the notes for that publish and restrict the change to just Siege and Mugen, as seemed to be the original intent of the change.

V

Vyal

If I remember correctly they did this for some stupid reason I can't remember why though.
It's nothing but a complete pain when people stick other accounts in your faction just to kill you and your pets though.
I think this started around the time they re did houses so you couldn't cast ev's in them and pets would not teleport inside of them.
I mean that's still stupid anyways since that was the only real reason for pets to have the ability to teleport in the first place. Not to mention now we get people who just cast the Mystic spells inside houses but the mage class can't do the same. I mean how hard would it be to get these problems resolved in a single day? In a single hour? It just shows the lack of interest & effort that the developers for UO have. Aside from just keeping the servers up and running basic events I don't see these people actually doing anything else at all. That's just me though, I have scripted and worked on enough free shards to know that it doesn't take more then 15 minutes to fix these problems. Simple as changing a few lines or adding a few lines. It's a true shame the designers don't fix problems like this one.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I think the problem that prompted this change caught the developers' attention back in 2008 and was a Siege/Mugen-only issue. My understanding at the time was that certain people in a faction would redline their characters and then attack the guarding pets of a character in the same faction. They would quickly die because of being redlined and the owner of the pets would lose points/life force under a rule unique to factions on Siege and Mugen.

http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-factions/57695-attacking-your-own-faction.html

I think there was another thread about the issue in UHall around the same time that might have included a response from Draconi, but I was unable to find it in the archives. His reply (if I remember correctly) was that what was happening on Siege sure looked like griefing.

I think the change that made it impossible to attack a fellow faction character with your pets or summons dates to Publish 56 in late October 2008, which included this line: "Faction members in the Hero/Evil system on Siege Perilous and Mugen will no longer be able to grief their teammates by causing them to lose kill-points when auto-defending."

The inability to use pets and summons to attack fellow faction characters was first noticed on other shards in early November 2008: http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-fact...s-attack-our-own-faction-members-anymore.html.

Maybe one of the designers/developers can go back to the notes for that publish and restrict the change to just Siege and Mugen, as seemed to be the original intent of the change.
good grab tina.

jesus, you just did 99% of EAs work for them on this bug!

you showed them where exactly it started, when it came in, why it came in and even told them what they have to do to probably FIX it.

now if there is a god in the heavens some dev will read this and fix it so i can go kill some nooblets that are in need of some killing!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found the thread with Draconi's response that I think led to not being able to use your pets or summons to kill characters that are in the same faction as your tamer character:

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/100955-considered-exploit-no.html

I was a little off on Draconi's reply. He didn't exactly call it griefing if someone was taking advantage of the situation that prompted the change. Instead, he referred to it as "poor game design."

In any event, the designers/developers came up with a "solution" and shoved it through within a matter of about six weeks. Unfortunately, they seriously botched the solution, possibly after listening to people all over the game (not just on Siege and Mugen) who had recently jumped into factions as a result of all the 2008 changes and who had no idea that faction mates can and will clobber your character, especially if they think you're a spy.

Sadly, even though there have been many, many posts made since then about the situation, no one has ever done anything about modifying this particular change to make it accurately match the Publish 56 notes which said it only applied to Siege and Mugen. My guess is that by the time we all started posting about it in November 2008, the devs and designers were neck-deep in work for Stygian Abyss, Draconi left after SA was released, and after that no one probably wanted to dig into things and fix a faction problem, especially if it had anything to do with Siege and Mugen. So here we are 3 1/2 years later, with the extremely stupid situation that if you want to cast spells on a faction mate to kill him, it's allowed. It's also fine and dandy if you want to use weapons to kill a faction mate. However, using your pets or summons is not allowed. Really, really dumb.