• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Prime example of why UO is losing player base.

• Thread starter Amethyst of Napa
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
A

Amethyst of Napa

Long long ago, in a land called UO there was something for everyone to do. Players were not continually forced to change the type of playstyle they enjoyed.

Crafters could be crafters. They could honestly obtain their resources with a little hard work and determination.

Hunters could be hunters. Looking behind rocks and in dank dungeons for monsters to kill and receive gold and a few other items that would interest hunter types like magical armor or weapons.

Gardeners could be gardeners. Busily working around their potting sheds planting seeds, watching them grow, and striving for a new or unknown type of plant.

Fishermen could be fishermen, pirates could be pirates, role players could be role players, and there was always SOMETHING that they could be doing playing these characters.

Now, with the mindset of the current "Powers that Be", if a player is not a fighter then get the heck off the game. Not even a little bone will be thrown to any player that does not enjoy fighting.

This newest promise of seeds for the gardener almost makes me want to gag. The mindset of "well gardeners can just buy the seeds" is a direct slap in the face. 90% of the hunter types won't bother to take them off a monsters corpse. The ones that do pick up a few will stick them on a vendor for and ungodly amount of gold IF YOU CAN MANAGE TO FIND A VENDOR THAT STAYS STOCKED.

Just a repeat of the other resources that only HUNTERS could get leaving the crafter out in the cold. Been there.......Done that......and HE_ _ will freeze over before I pay 50k for a stinking seed!

I have been playing almost 11 years now. The past two years I have barely been hanging on by my fingertips. My posts on stratics are getting further and further apart because why bother posting when the developers and programers refuse to listen to common sense.

Unless UO returns to a type of game that many different types of players can enjoy it will continue its downward spiral.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So your mad because the new seeds will spawn on Monsters?

I think its silly that they spawn on monsters so I can actually see you rpoint there, but I wouldnt allow that to make me mad.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think if you look outside of Luna, you may find a few PvM players willing to part with seeds for a more reasonable price.

I've already offered to hunt seeds for LS gardeners, and I might throw a few up on a vendor for 500 gold at most per seed (depending on drop rate/creature difficulty).

I definitely WON'T be charging 50K plus per seed... that's pointless.

Personally, I look forward to new loot and would love to see this be the start of a brand new loot system that drops more "utility" items and a LOT less "junk" magic items.

(Maybe it's time to remove magic items from the loot tables and go to uncommon and semi-rare drops of materials used for things like gardening, crafting, and so on and allow the crafters to make all of the armor (aside from dropped artifacts))

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So all 5 of your char slots are Crafters with no ability to kill... boglings, ettins, and low end spawn? No Friends to find some for yas? Mabey UO is not for you? Fantasy based game with warriors, mages, and tamers and so on.

When I signed up for uo they said I would have the (choice) to play a multitude of templates . NO I am pretty sure gardening was not on the list.:loser:

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(Maybe it's time to remove magic items from the loot tables and go to uncommon and semi-rare drops of materials used for things like gardening, crafting, and so on and allow the crafters to make all of the armor (aside from dropped artifacts))
Arrrrr, add 'em all to the boglings' loot table, and put 'em back near Haven!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Spreading them across monsters is a good thing, but they need to make sure that the seeds do not drop TOO often. An uncommon drop is more enjoyable than a drop almost every kill when it is something new (by the same token, a drop so rare that it takes the vast majority of the evening to get is too slow).

N

Nvnter

What a slap in the face to warriors. I buy petals all the time. I am sorry to give gardeners my gold when you dont appreciate your customer base. As another poster commented....All of your char slots are non-hunters ? This round of plants is far from being a Nerf like the Warrior Clases go through from time to time. :danceb:

E

Eslake

So all 5 of your char slots are Crafters with no ability to kill... boglings, ettins, and low end spawn?

No Friends to find some for yas? Mabey UO is not for you? Fantasy based game with warriors, mages, and tamers and so on.

When I signed up for uo they said I would have the (choice) to play a multitude of templates . NO I am pretty sure gardening was not on the list.:loser:
I was going to skip this thread given the rather angry tone of the OP, but your responce is far worse than what they've posted.

First of all, it is a fantasy game, but perhaps you missed the 3 words they use to describe it.
"Role Playing Game"
That means you chose what you want to be. And yes, there are many who do not have a single combat-oriented character. They tend to be the nicest/most interesting people in the game.

Saying gardeners should "just buy seeds from someone who fights those creatures" is no different than making it so that only characters with Herding, Camping, and Item ID can get artifacts, and telling everyone else to "Just buy artifacts from the shepherds."

And the FoF indicates there is no standard of reasoning being applied to the new plants.
-On one hand she indicates a decision is made based on realism - that they won't be crossable because they don't have much in common. (as if the current plants do?)
-And on the other hand she indicates a decision in direct opposition to realism - they won't bear seeds so we will have to keep killing for them.
Which begs the question If they don't make seeds, where did the monster get the seeds?!

And don't point to boglings and ettins as seed sources. For all we know the TW creature could be Swoop or even Dread Horn.

Nventer said:
What a slap in the face to warriors. I buy petals all the time. I am sorry to give gardeners my gold when you dont appreciate your customer base.
hehe Nice try.
But gardeners need seeds to be gardeners.
You don't need petals to be a warrior. ;) They're just really handy.

C

Crow

What's really funny is people think the ammount of time they've been playing adds any credibility to their arguments or statements.

N

NewThunder

Oh, I guess I have been wrong, I thought that this was a massively multiplayer game, where perhaps you may need to team up with others to obtain some of the resources the game has to offer. Perhaps a first person shooter game would be more your style.

K

Kiminality

Whenever I've got my hands on chocolate ingredients, from Ilsh paragons, I've always collected them and offered them to folk who'd use them.

Same with the seeds.
If I get a seed, I'll keep it, and give it to someone who'll use it.

Making the seeds be from monsters isn't "killing the game" or anything, it's encouraging people to work together, even disconnectedly.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they don't make seeds, where did the monster get the seeds?!
uh, they ate defenceless gardners?:thumbsup:

Also My post was not made in anger... mabey some sarcasm..

Really, who after 11 years does not have a single char to hunt with?

My crafter isnt geared for fighting but I can manage some low end spawn... and Ive only played for 7 years

Potions/ring up some ep... bah there is just so many options for crafters its not worth even giving advice to peeps who dont want it.

F

Fink

Saying gardeners should "just buy seeds from someone who fights those creatures" is no different than making it so that only characters with Herding, Camping, and Item ID can get artifacts, and telling everyone else to "Just buy artifacts from the shepherds.
Finally my triple-gm pays dividends! :danceb:

I'm in agreement with you. The only spawn I can see logically dropping seeds are birds and possibly some low-end humanoids like orcs or savages who themselves have different 'classes' that might carry seeds. That should be in addition to some reasonable source for getting the seeds, either via foraging or having them appear as a resource-drop from established top-level plants. This would allow pure gardeners and newbie combatants to both access the new content/seeds in their own way.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

where did the monster get the seeds?!

Where LOGICALLY do most of the monsters get their loot from anyway? Don't try to logic out many of the aspects of UO, you'll only give yourself a headache.

B

Bullet

I think this is more than a rant and more of a statement where the diversity of uo has been greatly narrowed into a fighting mentality. I greatly prefere to be a crafter in the game but my playstyle has been diminished due to developers ideas as they see the game. Remember the old days of going to the smith to find a player to repair you armour? When was the last time any of you did that. It was a supportive community back then. Everyone had a place in it and now if your not a fighter charactor you are not as much needed as you used to be. Remember buying that GM armour? Well now they are barely needed because the best armour is gotten off monsters. Well you get the idea of what im saying!

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first crafter was also my first red. I found that combat skills were very handy to the honest miner and then more handy to the greedy miner. My second crafter is more than capable of self defense, and very capable of laying waste to many of the more dangerous creatures in the realm. 110 magery/110 eval/100 med just seemed like common sense for a crafter.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 3 base seeds of the original plant system came off monsters, So they had to be gotten off monsters to begin with. I don't see the big issue other than they can't get 8 replica seeds per plant and make them worthless to the point people just chuck them out unless they are a good color [I personally only keep the unhued, black and white plants]

G

galefan2004

I can't be the only player that thinks if you don't like hunting then go find another "pretty chat room" to be a part of. UO is about hunting and that is at its core. When you remove that core all you have is a "pretty chat room" that you spend $12.95 a month for.

On the subject of the seeds though, why do they think they are going to get a huge interest in a system that relies entirely on the RNG. The RNG is a horrible system in all games. Systems that are tied into it normally lead to heartbreak. I can see people losing interest fast after they have raised 30-50 seeds trying to get the one they want only to find out what they got was crap. I think, if they plan on doing it this way then they should cut the growth time on these indertiminate plant to 2-3 days and still allow jumps for fertile dirt. In my experience, people give up on stuff quickly when they don't feel they have an actual chance to get what they are after, and the current proposed system makes you wait 9 days to figure out you got crap.

G

galefan2004

I've already offered to hunt seeds for LS gardeners, and I might throw a few up on a vendor for 500 gold at most per seed (depending on drop rate/creature difficulty).

I definitely WON'T be charging 50K plus per seed... that's pointless.
What you seem not to realise is that those Luna vendors can find your shop just as easily as the gardeners can and if the seeds do prove that popular then you can pretty much expect the Luna vendors to buy you out for 500 gold a seed only to resell them for 50k a seed.

That would be a horrible idea. What they should do is boost the magical armor drops from mobs so that 2100 luck is equal to the items you would get from a barbed/valorite runic (after they are enhanced). Then they need to rework the metal/leather material properties and buff the enhancing so that you have a 50/50 shot at 120 bs or 120 tailoring.

I don't want to hunt for ingredients...I want to hunt for items I will actually use.

G

galefan2004

Saying gardeners should "just buy seeds from someone who fights those creatures" is no different than making it so that only characters with Herding, Camping, and Item ID can get artifacts, and telling everyone else to "Just buy artifacts from the shepherds."
Yes because the fact that you can still buy these items from 99% of the player base is really comparable to buying them for 1%. Am I rite?

hehe Nice try.
But gardeners need seeds to be gardeners.
You don't need petals to be a warrior. ;) They're just really handy.
Last I checked gardening didn't even take skill points. That means there is still 720 skill points on your "gardener". If you can't figure out how to kill a creature with the use of 720 skill points then UO is definately not the game for you.

G

galefan2004

Remember the old days of going to the smith to find a player to repair you armour? When was the last time any of you did that.
Remember getting screwed when that player decided not to give back your vanqs and your invulnerability armor and when you paged a gm they did nothing because you gave that person your items willingly. After awhile you switched to only taking repair deeds from those crafters. After that you made your own crafters or bought repair deeds in bulk. Eventually, they just allowed repair deeds on vendors because crafters asked for it.

It was a supportive community back then. Everyone had a place in it and now if your not a fighter charactor you are not as much needed as you used to be.
This game favored hunters even back then. Hunters were always at the top of the chain.

Remember buying that GM armour? Well now they are barely needed because the best armour is gotten off monsters.
No. The best weapons and armor are gotten from runic kits. They even buffed the horned runic to be what the barbed runic used to be and then buffed all of the runic hammers. They have yet to buff magic item drops and that relegates it to only jewelry being the only decent items you can get off of monsters (possibly archery weapons also but only because of the randomness of the Heartwood quests keeping you from getting a decent fletching runic).

F

Flora Green

Last I checked gardening didn't even take skill points. That means there is still 720 skill points on your "gardener". If you can't figure out how to kill a creature with the use of 720 skill points then UO is definately not the game for you.
We shouldn't have to once the initial set of seeds is gotten. It's not as if the plant system is a new thing they are creating. It's just a devs personal preference, just like not adding colored plants, that they are going with the terrible Bonsai method.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Long long ago, in a land called UO there was something for everyone to do"

Gardeners long, long ago?

Huhzas?

Maybe my memory is a bit clouded but wtf was there to garden in the beginning of Uo long,long ago? Seeds/gardeners long,long ago?

pancakes about seeds? The demise of the playerbase will be brought about in any small possible way due to seeds(or the lack of?)

*pukes*

F

Flora Green

The 3 base seeds of the original plant system came off monsters, So they had to be gotten off monsters to begin with. I don't see the big issue other than they can't get 8 replica seeds per plant and make them worthless to the point people just chuck them out unless they are a good color [I personally only keep the unhued, black and white plants]
They come off of boglings. Hardly the same as what is being proposed now. The fact that they can't replicate the 8 seeds is the issue. Cross-pollination is a part of the attraction to hardcore gardeners. As well as having a stock of seeds on hand to fill special requests and to enable vendors have a steady supply. And you won't be getting 15 new black and white plants, because that won't be allowed either. Again, something gardeners enjoy doing.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 - The original seeds came from monsters like boglings. Monsters have to be killed to get the seeds. The bonsai seeds had to be colected from the cold dead corpses of Tokuno mobs. So someone had to kill the monsters to get the seeds then too, no?

2 - If the monsters are too strong for your char to handle, and your fear is that people won't loot and sell them, then you can loot them when the corpse turn public.

3 - It has already been stated that a good portion of the seeds will spawn on easily accessible monsters, could be birds like someone mentioned, or could be low level mobs like mongbats. So using your trusty pack horses to hunt these should be fine.

4 - You probably have an alchemist to make the potions for tending to your plants, yes? If not, you would have a vendor that you buy your potions from. I've heard that there's this purple potion that goes boom. Used by newbies with 0 combat skills to farm cloaks and 25k points from Melissa...

5 - Your normal vendor don't sell explosion pots? No worrie, unlike gardening which requires greater versions of the potions, the lesser versions of explosion which you can buy off NPCs will also suffice.

6 - My crafter has 2 pack horses, I use them to kill sheep after I have sheared their wool. Works wonderfully. I don't even dismount and use my giant beetle as I like to zip around quickly.

7 - To make pentagrams, my carpenter needs to have 75 magery. With 75 magery, I can summon blade spirits. If I slap on some +magery equipment, I can even use EVs and elementals. That's how I got Glorious Lord on my crafter.

8 - Next posts I expect to reply to -
i) Why does my gardener need alchemy?
ii) Why does my carpenter need magery to make pentagrams, tailoring to make looms, blacksmithing to make forges etc?
iii) Why can mages/warriors/tamers also become gardeners? Is it because there isn't a skill called "gardening"? It's not fair, only crafters should be able to become gardners.
iv) Why do I need to hunt for peerless regs?
v) Why can't my pure mage/bard/tamer/warrior play the BOD mini game? Why should it be limited to only crafters?

F

Flora Green

rolleyes:

I want a new handbag. That has as much to do with what gardeners are bothered by as your post does.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ouch, hey, that's below the belt! :)

I know it's spiffy to get a handbag instead of that drappy backpack, but I don't think not getting a handbag is a reason why UO is losing it's player base either.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems like OP feared that one reason why UO was losing it's customer base is because gardeners were being denied an aspect of the game.

"Gardening getting new plants but they don't produce seeds" and "My gardener can't/don't want to fight monsters to get the new seeds" are not prime examples of why UO is losing player base.

I just want to let people that don't have any combat oriented chars know what alternatives their crafters have to get these resources. Unfortunately, I regret that I have no solutions for people that do not want to actively hunt.

As to the plants being sterile, so are the black/white mutations, bonsai, neon plants. For the latter 2, if you want them, you have to get the seeds each time. Both involve dungeon trawling, and very likely encounters with mobs. Bonsai seeds have to be looted off corpses.

Btw, I am a gardener too. I agree that it would be much more fun if the new plants can be made into gen 5 of the current set and be cross polinated. However, not doing this does not break the game or in any way denies anyone from particpating. And it most certainly should not be viewed as a move that is causing UO to lose customers.

F

Flora Green

I know it's spiffy to get a handbag instead of that drappy backpack, but I don't think not getting a handbag is a reason why UO is losing it's player base either.
That made me LOL.:D

I see now what you were getting at and we're pretty much in agreement.

G

galefan2004

We shouldn't have to once the initial set of seeds is gotten. It's not as if the plant system is a new thing they are creating. It's just a devs personal preference, just like not adding colored plants, that they are going with the terrible Bonsai method.
I somewhat agree, but I don't see a problem with killing monsters for seeds. I just don't like the RNG being such a big part. The seeds should either grow much faster than normal seeds (2-3 days with a 50% bump chance from fertile dirt) or they should be labeled.

E

Eslake

Oh, I guess I have been wrong, I thought that this was a massively multiplayer game, where perhaps you may need to team up with others to obtain some of the resources the game has to offer. Perhaps a first person shooter game would be more your style.
I don't know.. Personally I never considered Gardening to be a group sport. ;) And do you ever use repair tickets?

Dermott of LS said:
Don't try to logic out many of the aspects of UO, you'll only give yourself a headache.
That was kind of my point. She used metagame logic as an excuse one way, and counter logic for another - in the Same Addition to the game. And I thought I got loopy when I took MY meds. :p

Galefan2004 said:
I can't be the only player that thinks if you don't like hunting then go find another "pretty chat room" to be a part of. UO is about hunting and that is at its core. When you remove that core all you have is a "pretty chat room" that you spend $12.95 a month for.
You probably aren't.
But I could respond in kind by pointing out that if all you want to do is kill things, there are games designed with that in mind - some of which cost much less, or nothing at all.
Just because others chose to play a different role than you doesn't mean your view of the game is somehow more legitimate. Lack of diversity kills a RPG.

Yes because the fact that you can still buy these items from 99% of the player base is really comparable to buying them for 1%. Am I rite?
You missed the point.
My point was that they are assigning the resources for the Least combat-oriented activity in the game.. to combat.
Artifacts in reverse - are Combat-oriented(mostly) items, and herding/camping/itemID are non-combat skills.
Umm what was your original point than? That your warrior had to buy petals from gardeners wasn't it? ;)
If you can't figure out how to garden with the use of 720 skill points then UO is definitely not the game for you.

But that is sliding a bit off of the actual issue.
Just killing to get a set of seeds is barely of note. Or buying a set of seeds for that matter.
The problem is a mix of aspects of the way they are being introduced.
1- they will not produce seeds.
2- there are 15 of them.
3- they are in no way identifiable
4- some will come from relatively powerful creatures

This means that someone serious about growing the new plants, who wants a complete set in the first week, would have to plant 225 of them to have a 99%(+) chance of having at least 1 of each plant.
And that each following set of plants has to be grown from yet more oversized batches of unidentified seeds. - more killing, more buying.

I just can't understand how anyone who plays the game (as she supposedly does) could believe people really want to plant huge masses of plants and wait 7 days to know if they are going to get even a single one they actually want.
Let alone having to do it all over again if they don't, or if they want more of any particular kind.

G

galefan2004

You probably aren't.
But I could respond in kind by pointing out that if all you want to do is kill things, there are games designed with that in mind - some of which cost much less, or nothing at all.
Just because others chose to play a different role than you doesn't mean your view of the game is somehow more legitimate. Lack of diversity kills a RPG.
For 10 years this game has been completely combat based. Back in the day the only real way you could get decent items was to go hunt for them. They have added in the runics and other systems to pull it a little bit more away from combat as the game progressed, but its still heavily combat based.

You missed the point.
My point was that they are assigning the resources for the Least combat-oriented activity in the game.. to combat.
Artifacts in reverse - are Combat-oriented(mostly) items, and herding/camping/itemID are non-combat skills.
The point is mute though because you can easily find someone to buy the seeds off of because of the vast majority of the players playing in a combat style. In an MMORPG you might have to buy some things off of people if you aren't willing to go get them yourself.

Umm what was your original point than? That your warrior had to buy petals from gardeners wasn't it? ;)
If you can't figure out how to garden with the use of 720 skill points then UO is definitely not the game for you.
I wasn't the one that said that. When I want oarnge petals for my warrior, I'll go back to growing plants and grow out the 20+ plant seeds I have that can produce oarnge petals. The funny thing is that even when I feel like gardening those are the only plants that I will actually grow and that says something about the current gardening system.

[/quote]
2- there are 15 of them.
[/quote]

It seems that they are introducing seeds as more of a bonus reason for hunting instead of as a gardener item. Which I understand makes no sense to gardeners but makes plenty of sense for hunters. They only come in one color and can't be cross polinated. If they could produce seeds there would be absolutely no reason to go hunt for the seeds after you get them the first time. I really HATE the fact that they are not identifiable. That means you are relying on the RNG and I really really really really really (infinity) hate any system in a game that relys on the RNG. Those that come from relatively powerful creatures will be another bonus to the hunting community (albeit at an expense to gardeners).

This means that someone serious about growing the new plants, who wants a complete set in the first week, would have to plant 225 of them to have a 99%(+) chance of having at least 1 of each plant.
And that each following set of plants has to be grown from yet more oversized batches of unidentified seeds. - more killing, more buying.
Good for hunters but bad for gardeners. Maybe they just introduced this system to bennefit hunters at the expense of gardners, or maybe they seem to think that every gardener is a hunter as well. I recognize that you have an issue with this.

I just can't understand how anyone who plays the game (as she supposedly does) could believe people really want to plant huge masses of plants and wait 7 days to know if they are going to get even a single one they actually want.
Let alone having to do it all over again if they don't, or if they want more of any particular kind.
I agree. IMO, what will actually end up happening is that after that first mass of plants is grown and ends up with the grower not getting a single plant that they wanted they are going to be hard pressed to even try again. That is the problem with the RNG...when those dice don't roll the way you want them to you get burnt out on continuously rolling the dice. IMO, all MMORPGs should dump the RNG entirely and move all systems to a work/reward points type of a system.

E

Eslake

For 10 years this game has been completely combat based. Back in the day the only real way you could get decent items was to go hunt for them.
erm.. How far "Back" in the day are we talking about? ;) Because once upon a time the most respected characters in the game were the smiths tailors and alchemists.
But even if the game had been solidly about combat since the beginning, that doesn't excuse ignoring that people chose other paths.
The point is mute though because you can easily find someone to buy the seeds off of because of the vast majority of the players playing in a combat style.
This remains to be seen.
Personally I expect it will go very much like this..
End of Day 1, seeds on every other vendor at 1000+g each.
End of Week 1, seeds value down to 200-300g and getting hard to find sellers.
End of Week 3, be literally laughed at for asking if anyone is selling them.
I wasn't the one that said that. When I want oarnge petals for my warrior, I'll go back to growing plants and grow out the 20+ plant seeds I have that can produce oarnge petals. The funny thing is that even when I feel like gardening those are the only plants that I will actually grow and that says something about the current gardening system.
My mistake than, I didn't look back to the original, just your responces. :)

But as I suggested in the other thread, you might go walking around just looking at houses. On LS I would estimate 1 in every 8 houses is growing some plants, and about half of those are growing more than resource plants.
(On SP, more are growing plants, but most are resources)

But I can't honestly say I've seen a single bonsai being grown in the entire time I've been back.

You aren't the only one who doesn't like the RNG deciding their fate. ;)

I will probably go out and spend a couple of days gathering, grow a few hundred in one go, and never bother again.

If hedges are among the new plants, I will shoot for at least 200 of those, but there really isn't any other plant that -to me- as a decoration only, is worth hunting and growing over and over to get.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This newest promise of seeds for the gardener almost makes me want to gag. The mindset of "well gardeners can just buy the seeds" is a direct slap in the face. 90% of the hunter types won't bother to take them off a monsters corpse. The ones that do pick up a few will stick them on a vendor for and ungodly amount of gold IF YOU CAN MANAGE TO FIND A VENDOR THAT STAYS STOCKED.
You forget one thing. You can't see what kind of plant it will be before you grow it, so alot won't want to grow the seed they get, they will give them to a gardener as trade for something else, maybe for the one plant they want.

It's different with the peerless resources, it do not take long time to logon your mule and make the crafted items you want. If peerless resources came as seed too, you had to grow for x days first, I think more would sell to crafters for a fair price.

C

Connor_Graham

If they don't make seeds, where did the monster get the seeds?!
The same way deer in the forest get seeds and spread them around the forest. They eat the plants, including the plant seed, and the seeds are found in their excrement as they wander around their forest.

So what would you rather do?

Kill a creature and take the seeds from it's stomach.

or

Wander around the forest digging through double whopper with cheese.

Hmmmm?

;)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you not use your shard forum? There's nothing I could need, or have needed, on Europa or Siege that I can't find within a few hours if I post a thread about it.

UO is a multiplayer game, interaction with other players on a friendly basis, offering and asking for help, is what makes this game special.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
But that is sliding a bit off of the actual issue.
Just killing to get a set of seeds is barely of note. Or buying a set of seeds for that matter.
2- there are 15 of them.
Not all are rare keepers, some will place a new house and maybe want a henge around it or something else to finishe the house design. If they could see what kind of seed it was, they would grow the plants by themself.

As they can't know, they will mostly look for a gardener who will sell the plants they want and if they do have some seed, they will give/sell seeds to the gardener.

The gardener will, because there may be buyers for all the kind of plants including the old ones we already have.

Now we just need a way to make potted plants/trees

N

Nvnter

6 - My crafter has 2 pack horses, I use them to kill sheep after I have sheared their wool. Works wonderfully. I don't even dismount and use my giant beetle as I like to zip around quickly.

WOW! A player that still harvests wool. Do you use the wheel and loom also? I used to love using the wheel because it was one of the few interactive items in UO.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

WOW! A player that still harvests wool. Do you use the wheel and loom also? I used to love using the wheel because it was one of the few interactive items in UO.
Come to Siege, vendors do not sell resources so you can only buy clothes and bandages from players.

Even my red shear sheeps she see around and use spinn and loom to make bolt of clothes. I sell what I don't need myself, 300 gp a bolt.

You won't see many homes without spinn and loom on Siege. I just wish it was not possible to redeed add ons more than 3 times, that would let my crafter sell alot more add ons

N

Nvnter

You missed the point.

UMMM you just dated yourself. When the seeds first came out I saw player houses with near hundred to hundreds of pots. Many rushed to play the odds to be the first or to have the coolest plants as Deco. I even tried a few but my dedication is more to hunting, crafting and socializing. Not being boxed into my house watering and fighting diseases.

I see you in alot of posts picking apart posters and always reasserting your point. In this thread we get your point but I wonder if you have any pots that you have grown from scratch yourself. :sleep2:

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree with your lil fractured fairy-tale.
I've been around a good while too, NOBODY forces you to change your "playstyle"........I am a master green thumb, when I started and I wanted seeds, I got them off boglings....with a crafter, that had no fighting skills....yeah, I learned a lesson, make a damn fighter. it was no big deal.

Same with lumberjack, same with tailor, same with miner......theres always something or someone waiting to bump off a mule.....

Seeing these whines about seed collecting is pretty laughable, coupled with a rolling of the eyes......

remember, to be a rock and not to roll....................

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a lot of responses in this thread from people who don't even garden, they just use any reason they can to flame you. This isn't a game breaking issue for me, but I am rather discouraged. When ML was released, I thought my crafter would be in high demand, but I soon realized that my crafter couldn't acquire the needed resources. This is probably going to end up the same way. I am excited to grow new plants, but I probably won't be able to acquire most of the seeds. It will just be one more item in a long list of items out of my reach.

F

Flora Green

I think the main point people are missing is most dedicated gardeners LIKE the process of cross-pollinating. It's beyond the hunting of monsters (which is just stupid beyond something bogling level). We ENJOY trying for black and white plants. We like finding out what the new 15 are by crossing one plant with another. But, some of you just want to troll and hurl insults. But, if it's about something YOU enjoy then the whole world should be on your side. I don't come into your PvP threads and tell YOU to suck it up and deal with it. I can't believe the rudeness of some of you.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yup! I use wheels and looms too. I dearly love this aspect of the game where I can literally harvest raw materials and process it into cloth/ingots/planks and craft items. And they bear my mark too! Hence the obsession with getting my fame to Lord heh.

Yes, I know it's probably more effective to use a fraction of that same time to farm monsters and buy the same amount of cloth from NPC vendors. But for some reason I have no words to express, this aspect has a very attractive allure to me. Folks may think that I might be sick, I might be a cheapskate, I might be easily contented or I might be a glutton for punishment, but the ability to do all these things is one reason why I love UO. What's important is that I am having fun, neh? (veiled attempt to reach out to the discouraged players and rekindle their love of the game).

And although I play Siege occasionally, I am not talking about Siege here, just a normal shard where cloth costs 100 gp a bolt, thread costs 18gp each, and wool sells for 60gp. Yes, I know selling the wool and then buying cloth makes more economic sense. If thread still costs 3gp, I would do that still.

Here's some unasked for tips so that I can showoff -

1) Pack horses fight much better than pack llamas. Not realizing that they could fight that well, I initially brought them only to hold the wool I collect, figured that I would use my beetle as the sheep killer.

2) Use at least 3 spinning wheels in succession for optimal performance. By the time you start spinning the 3rd wheel, the first wheel would have completed. You can then begin the cycle again.

3) Also when looming, set aside 5 balls of yarn/thread aside. I hate it when I have used my last ball of yarn on the loom and I need to go buy 4 more to finish up that last bolt.

That made me LOL.:D
Always glad to bring on a smile!
Just to be sure that it's evoking the correct image that I have in my mind, I was talking about having the backpack in the paperdoll look like a handbag :D

I also have a couple of funny ideas with growing artifacts from plants. I will start a new post on that to stop hijacking this post.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the days before Trammel, to step foot out of a town, for a crafter, was a major risk. Indeed, there were PKs who would cap out in major resource gathering spots, wait until they saw a hapless crafter running around doing his or her thing, then they'd kill him or her, rob the resources. Often they would put it on a vendor.

So how did crafters make anything? They spoke to adventurers. Contracted, paid, asked nicely, persuaded, etc. The adventurers would gather resources.

So honestly, if there's an important resource for non-adventurers that's mostly available from adventuring, that ain't nothing new at all.

-Galen's player

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So your mad because the new seeds will spawn on Monsters?

I think its silly that they spawn on monsters so I can actually see you rpoint there, but I wouldnt allow that to make me mad.
Exactly how I feel about this. If they have to spawn on monsters why can't we just get a few new plant type monsters to spawn them on and range the difficulty on those from weak to tough. At least that would make sense. Why else would a monster that is not of plant type have a seed on it? It must like eating seeds or something I guess. That or a bird double whopper with cheese on it...

But one thing this thread did make me think about was the lack of things for non standard characters to do. Crafters, tamers, mages, dexxers (including archers) are the only good templates left in the game now. And the entire reason is that nothing new that is worth while to do was added for other character types.

Thieves only ever get new stealable artifacts in dungeons but simply adding new stuff to steal does not make having a thief worth the slot on the account how many random objects left laying in dungeons can you steal before you just lose interest in the idea?

Fishers got leviathans and white pearls but they were added far apart and pretty much everyone is tired of that by now I am sure. I know fishing is not worth wasting the skill points on because it currently takes up one of my soulstones.

We have a nice list of skills no longer useful for anything such as hearding, forensic eval, item ID, begging and more. Something should have been done with these skills long ago to make them useful again and no I do not recommend doing something like the arms lore thing that was halfassed to say the least but I won't complain to much because at least the skill serves a purpose instead of doing nothing at all.

Anyhow you get the idea here. All we really need is a good expansion that makes use of all the things in UO that are currently worthless and I think a lot of players would really be happy including myself. I would love to have a reason to make different characters and be able to play a larger variety of styles.

A

Amethyst of Napa

The main point to my original post was to point out WHY we have lost so many players over the past two years. I am sure that each and every one of you must have had at least one or two friends leave our world.

UO used to offer a wide range of options for entertainment for a variety of play styles. Entire communities existed that were player run which would then give additional activities for players. UO as it stands today has regressed to a fighter only type of game or at least fighter only getting the items needed to do other stuff.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly how I feel about this. If they have to spawn on monsters why can't we just get a few new plant type monsters to spawn them on...
Arrrr, that would require new art!

Arrrr, me always gets a kick out o' showin' someone who ne'er considered it, how ta pick veggies from the farmers' fields by Brit to feed their horse!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What you seem not to realise is that those Luna vendors can find your shop just as easily as the gardeners can and if the seeds do prove that popular then you can pretty much expect the Luna vendors to buy you out for 500 gold a seed only to resell them for 50k a seed.

I'll take that chance as I cannot control what someone does with something they purchase from me. Once the item is out of my hands, it's out of my control. 'll still be making seeds available at a reasonable price, all gardeners have to do is check my cabin from time to time.