• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Slot Calculation

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak @Kyronix

I have had several nightmares change their slot between spawning and being tamed... for example...

I lore the mare when it spawns and it says 2 -> 5, so I tame it. As soon as it is tamed, I lore it again and it shows 3 -> 5.

Can this be fixed so that if it is 2 slots it stays 2 slots, or if it is going to end up a 3 slot, that is starts out showing that it is a 3 slot?

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It gained some dex/int while you tamed it. Gained because it used some spells on you and trained little meditation and some other skills.
It may turn from 2 to 3 after you begin working skills on pet.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think the old Para / tame issue would help in situations like this?
When you Paralyse a tameable before taming it, it loses some "umph".
Used to be a bad thing but now you can use pet imbuing is it such a big deal anymore?
Lower opening stats could mean the difference in a 2 slot or a 3 slot??

Am I looking at this correctly?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It gained some dex/int while you tamed it. Gained because it used some spells on you and trained little meditation and some other skills.
It may turn from 2 to 3 after you begin working skills on pet.
While I agree that could be possible, I do not think that is the case. It just didn't take me that long to tame it... Maybe two taming attempts with invis inbetween... it maybe cast 5 or 6 small spells. All the stats I could see didn't change pre and post taming. I believe there is a difference in the weighting of the pet slot calculation for wild pets vs tamed pets that needs to be looked at.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak @Kyronix

I have had several nightmares change their slot between spawning and being tamed... for example...

I lore the mare when it spawns and it says 2 -> 5, so I tame it. As soon as it is tamed, I lore it again and it shows 3 -> 5.

Can this be fixed so that if it is 2 slots it stays 2 slots, or if it is going to end up a 3 slot, that is starts out showing that it is a 3 slot?
having slots bases on some arcane calculation was a bad idea, IMO. They should have just hard coded in slots. If there were a wider range of slots it would make sense, but with 5... really should just be set by hand. It just confuses and annoys people for no good reason.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Used to be a bad thing but now you can use pet imbuing is it such a big deal anymore?
Lower opening stats could mean the difference in a 2 slot or a 3 slot??

Am I looking at this correctly?
If para could be used to drop somethings control slot that would be great.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It says over on UOGuide that a pet loses 10% of skills if tamed when paralysed.
Thus meaning the pet may be in a lower bracket for slot allocation.

I could do with a "expert" tamer chiming in on this and letting me know as I have 2 Turtle eggs brewing to try it out on to get one of those Ultra Rare 4 slot Turtles (I daren't dream how many millions one of those would be worth now)
*drools* :gee:

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope only cap of skills are used for slots calculation. For wild nightmares none over 100 cap, so no loss.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think skills even play a part in slot calculation, its stats, especially strength
I think skills do. Why else would hell hounds and dire wolves have been bumped up to 2 slots? The only change is they were given necro/ss.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think skills do. Why else would hell hounds and dire wolves have been bumped up to 2 slots? The only change is they were given necro/ss.
Dragons and WWs have been bumped from 3 slots up to 4 slots with no changes at all, they just re-appraised the slots each pet takes for the patch

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are they getting a bump up from pack instinct?
That would make zero sense, as they always had PI, and now they can't have more than 2 in a pack. Compared to other 2 slot pack animals out there like Wolf Spiders or Raptors...or two timber wolves trained from slot 1-2 both dires and HH's would come up severely wanting.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix @Bleak

Here is an example. This mare spawned as a 2 slot. I paraed it one time and tamed it on the first try. It cast no spells and gains no stats, yet its slot changed between spawn and taming.

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix @Bleak

Here is an example. This mare spawned as a 2 slot. I paraed it one time and tamed it on the first try. It cast no spells and gains no stats, yet its slot changed between spawn and taming.

View attachment 66587
I'm a bit confused?
If that's a before and after taming then how do both show the "begin training" gump? It only shows up after you have tamed the pet?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

Just para tamed 2 normal Cu's yesterday and both had 590+ hp's. According to "myth" neither of them should be close to max hp's with para tame.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I've been testing it and it seems the recent "change" to the way pets are trained has made the paralyse de-buff null and void :danceb:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Here is my tamed and bonded 2 slot mare, with training enabled. Only spell used while taming it was E-bolts to slow it down.

Edit: New picture; now with the first page, showing its stats. Must have been sleeping when I made the first picture. :embarrassed:

2SlotMareTamed.jpg

Last edited:

Marky mark

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Let me help you all out there who are curious as to why some nightmares spawn as a 2 slot. I have been farming them a lot recently and found the only difference from a 2 slot and 3 slot is their STR. It will determine how many slots a nightmare will be. I found that any nightmare at or below 285 STR will be a 2 slot after tame and will stay a 2 slot once training begins and anything above the 285 STR will be a 3 slot. You're welcome and I hope this info helps! :)

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found that any nightmare at or below 285 STR will be a 2 slot after tame and will stay a 2 slot once training begins and anything above the 285 STR will be a 3 slot. You're welcome and I hope this info helps! :)
It depends on HP and resists too. I seen wild nightmare with 280 STR and 3 slot. I had tamed nightmare turned from 2 to 3 slots with 273 STR.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have killed over 500 nightmares trying to find a maxed 2 slot I train 3 that where 2 slot and had a total of 796 points that all turned into 3 slots after stabled the best I have that stayed a 2 slot is 789

How I found it works is
Str+
Htp+
Res+

Add these 3 up to get max weight for points they all cost the same to add 3 points each
So I don't care about the numbers in the best place all I care about is the total points being at max before
It turns into a 3 slot pet

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have killed over 500 nightmares trying to find a maxed 2 slot I train 3 that where 2 slot and had a total of 796 points that all turned into 3 slots after stabled the best I have that stayed a 2 slot is 789

How I found it works is
Str+
Htp+
Res+

Add these 3 up to get max weight for points they all cost the same to add 3 points each
So I don't care about the numbers in the best place all I care about is the total points being at max before
No it not work.
hp=315
str=285
dex=111
int=122
resists 57/39/31/31/29
it was wild and already 3 slots. In your calculation it just 787

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It says over on UOGuide that a pet loses 10% of skills if tamed when paralysed.
Thus meaning the pet may be in a lower bracket for slot allocation.

I could do with a "expert" tamer chiming in on this and letting me know as I have 2 Turtle eggs brewing to try it out on to get one of those Ultra Rare 4 slot Turtles (I daren't dream how many millions one of those would be worth now)
*drools* :gee:
Can you call us over to watch you paralyze that egg? :grin:

Interesting note about eggs in UO. The stats are random upon egg opening. If you take those eggs to TC 5 times and open them, they will all have different stats.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

How I found it works is
Str+
Htp+
Res+

But I think the point I am trying to make is that whatever the cutoff is... it seems to be different between wild and tamed mares. The whole point of adding the slot min/max in the lore gump was so you could see what the pet would be... if it says 2->5 when its wild, the simple act of taming it shouldn't change it to a 3 -> 5... which it does!

With the point example, it appears to use one weighted point value for determining a wild pets gump display and a DIFFERENT point value for calculating a tamed pets slots. This should not be, they should be the same!

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No it not work.
hp=315
str=285
dex=111
int=122
resists 57/39/31/31/29
it was wild and already 3 slots. In your calculation it just 787
I don't add dex or int
Add all resists
Strength
And hit points

I'm not saying that a 787 will all be a 2 slot other skills do factor in I'm just trying to find a maxed point 2 slot
Dex and int will go to 125 on there own and to add points to those is cheaper than stg res and hp

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But I think the point I am trying to make is that whatever the cutoff is... it seems to be different between wild and tamed mares. The whole point of adding the slot min/max in the lore gump was so you could see what the pet would be... if it says 2->5 when its wild, the simple act of taming it shouldn't change it to a 3 -> 5... which it does!

With the point example, it appears to use one weighted point value for determining a wild pets gump display and a DIFFERENT point value for calculating a tamed pets slots. This should not be, they should be the same!
Your right I agree it shouldn't change the slots up after trained
I had a 797 I thought it was a 2 slot I stabled it and the next day I seen went up to a 3 slot as well as 3 others that where 796

I would like to know the determinating fact that changes them after tamed

If it say 2-5 it should stay that way not change to 3-5 after tamed

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a 290 STR pet that stayed a 2 (abyssal hue with just the white spot on the nose)

*it buffed itself before my first para hit.

Resists are 56, 31, 37, 37, 23

NewMare.png

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let me help you all out there who are curious as to why some nightmares spawn as a 2 slot. I have been farming them a lot recently and found the only difference from a 2 slot and 3 slot is their STR. It will determine how many slots a nightmare will be. I found that any nightmare at or below 285 STR will be a 2 slot after tame and will stay a 2 slot once training begins and anything above the 285 STR will be a 3 slot. You're welcome and I hope this info helps! :)
You might be getting close, but see the pic above that has a 290 str mare as a 2 slot, before and after taming.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just tamed two that are above 285 stg one is 288 the other is 287 both 2 slot

The mare above is nice the best 2 slot void I found is only a 760 point you got a keeper there

Edit ment stg not Hp

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
upload_2017-5-14_20-0-46.png

Is this going to stay 2 slot? It has more HP than 285.

Resists 61/36/40/40/30

Maybe it will help the calculations. Anyone want to buy for 130M?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just got a 791 two slot

What's the highest you have got adding up just

Hp
Stg
Res

Trying to find the cap for 2 slots

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here are the 6 rare hued ones that I have... note that both void hue spawned as 2 and went to 3 upon taming. :/

The weight scores are the training weights (str/hp = 3x, dex/stam = .1x/.5x, int/mana = .5x, resist = 3x)

mares.png

Last edited:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Abyssal # 4 would be my pick it seems it will have better stats after all training
Stg= 3 points each
Hp= 3 points each
Res= 3 points each

The other points are far less to add .5-.1 or im I missing something?

The best I have is a 791 old color mare so far
Hoping to find a short mane silver at 795 two slot if possible

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Updated the chart again. It doesn't explain why the two void mares would have changed between 2 and 3 during taming, but might give some insight into the cutoff...

If you add the weight of the primary stats, the weight of the secondary stats and the weight of the resist points... you can see how they rank. The two that are 3 slots are both > 2,530, while all of the 2 slot ones are < 2,530

Obviously mine is a very small sample, but maybe something too it? Anyone have a 2 slot mare that exceeds 2,530 when calculated that way?

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone have a 2 slot mare that exceeds 2,530 when calculated that way?
I had tamed 2 slot nightmare and during training I monitored it
hp=312/str=293/dex=102/int=107, resists 56/32/39/32/26
and it turned to 3 slots after int=108 increase.

I have seen wild 2-slot with stats
306/304/98/103, 57/33/34/32/26

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I have seen wild 2-slot with stats
306/304/98/103, 57/33/34/32/26
I'm still convinced that whatever the threashhold is in the calculation, somehow it's bugged. Mana and intel are .5 weight, so 1 additional intel point changing the slot count is about as likely as UO expanding the Dev team to 100 people...

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Did it stay a 3 slots after applying stats, skills etc. or was it turned into a 4 slots?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a dumb way to do things. Pets should never change slots unless they were leveled up. That 1 int or whatever really pushes it into the next slot in power...