• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Risk vs Reward huh ?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, so I play exclusively on Siege, it's where my most developed characters are and it's where the most junk I've ever owned resides. I play here by choice. I'm aware of the risks. I don't take them because it increases or improves my game play, I don't do it because I'm missing some old, dead excitement from 15 or more years ago that I'm trying to rekindle. I take them because this is Siege and that's how it is.

Why wasn't double resources ever added to Siege ? Don't tell me it's here because I and everyone else know it's not. Our entire lands are more or less Felucca governed, so why don't we get the benefits of 2 ore every time we dig ? I don't want my backpack to overload with a single dig, I just want what Felucca gives on other shards, a reward for my risk.

Why wasn't 1000 luck ever added to Siege ? Don't tell me it's here because..(you get the picture). I don't want legendary items to drop in my pack, I just want what Felucca gives on other shards, a reward for my risk.

I wanted to go into more detail about other things but have decided I won't. I will though, tell the reason for this posting. So everyone knows things are hard to come by on Siege. I have a single demon slayer wpn, a bow. Well I want an axe too damnit, so I do a vendor search for demon slayers and I find squat, i do a search for daemon claw, and of course I find 0. No biggie, i go to uoguide and look up daemon claw and where to get it. It can be found as loot on Fire Demons. I read up more and head into the Abyss and the Fire Renowned area, I solo this little area, during prime time hours, not at 3 am with my guild while all of north america is asleep. I die many times, run and rez, run back, all of this is the Risk part of Siege. Keep in mind we have 1 Siege Blessed item here, everything else can be yours for the taking. So I run back and forth, killing and looting, dying, rinse repeat. This renowned finally pops up, and I kill it without dying this time. For my trouble,and this includes every fire demon I killed, I received......wait for it..........a single daemon claw. Yes!!!!!!! Now I just have to endure that hell 9 more times, roughly 10 more hours of work, and I can finally craft my own demon slayer axe. But that's only if the devs saw fit to make sure I get a guaranteed 1 daemon claw on every effort.

One daemon claw devs, really? You created platinum for the prodo players that have so much freaking gold they need a new way to store it, and you give me 1/one/uno daemon claw. I'm locking it down on my steps to show everyone my extreme awesomeness now....../end joke.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ok, so I play exclusively on Siege, it's where my most developed characters are and it's where the most junk I've ever owned resides. I play here by choice. I'm aware of the risks. I don't take them because it increases or improves my game play, I don't do it because I'm missing some old, dead excitement from 15 or more years ago that I'm trying to rekindle. I take them because this is Siege and that's how it is.

Why wasn't double resources ever added to Siege ? Don't tell me it's here because I and everyone else know it's not. Our entire lands are more or less Felucca governed, so why don't we get the benefits of 2 ore every time we dig ? I don't want my backpack to overload with a single dig, I just want what Felucca gives on other shards, a reward for my risk.

Why wasn't 1000 luck ever added to Siege ? Don't tell me it's here because..(you get the picture). I don't want legendary items to drop in my pack, I just want what Felucca gives on other shards, a reward for my risk.

I wanted to go into more detail about other things but have decided I won't. I will though, tell the reason for this posting. So everyone knows things are hard to come by on Siege. I have a single demon slayer wpn, a bow. Well I want an axe too damnit, so I do a vendor search for demon slayers and I find squat, i do a search for daemon claw, and of course I find 0. No biggie, i go to uoguide and look up daemon claw and where to get it. It can be found as loot on Fire Demons. I read up more and head into the Abyss and the Fire Renowned area, I solo this little area, during prime time hours, not at 3 am with my guild while all of north america is asleep. I die many times, run and rez, run back, all of this is the Risk part of Siege. Keep in mind we have 1 Siege Blessed item here, everything else can be yours for the taking. So I run back and forth, killing and looting, dying, rinse repeat. This renowned finally pops up, and I kill it without dying this time. For my trouble,and this includes every fire demon I killed, I received......wait for it..........a single daemon claw. Yes!!!!!!! Now I just have to endure that hell 9 more times, roughly 10 more hours of work, and I can finally craft my own demon slayer axe. But that's only if the devs saw fit to make sure I get a guaranteed 1 daemon claw on every effort.

One daemon claw devs, really? You created platinum for the prodo players that have so much freaking gold they need a new way to store it, and you give me 1/one/uno daemon claw. I'm locking it down on my steps to show everyone my extreme awesomeness now....../end joke.
Different ruleset?

Im not sure how a poor decision to farm deamon claws solo equates to platinum issue.

There are a lot of reasons why the economy is different and why you may not have 1 billion gold on Siege vs a production shard.
Clearly the most obvious would be the playerbase on Siege vs all of the production shards.

If you're not playing on Siege for any particular reason, try a production shard, it may be more enjoyable. I will even help you get started if you want to start on GL.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
renown is a guarantee drop I believe....but it seems to me I also get them on every second or third normal fire demon...at least I do on cats

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
daemon claws can be farmed solo easily. I farmed mine all by myself on Siege. But I agree with Garth. The drop rate is incredibly low! Sometimes I ended up finishing the spawn without a single daemon claw...

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I play on Siege and complain about my choices.. the topic.

You could have chosen a different shard and played in Felucca, but you wanted Siege. That's what you get on Siege. But according to a lot of posters here, it's so grand and great.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

People play Siege because they like Siege and the DEVs did not think they had to "LURE" people back to Siege like they did FEL, unless you no longer think Siege is great because it is Siege and you are now telling the DEVs it is time to "LURE" people to Siege.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I didn't think daemon claws were included in the fel rules for extra resources, are they?

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently people start playing on Siege these days without knowing what it is. It is a hard mode server. NPCs don't sell resources, they charge 3x the normal rate for things and don't buy from players. Resources are not doubled on purpose. Tools all have durability and break even the scissors. Plus about 40 other things that make Siege harder than a normal server. The reward for your risk is that when you kill another player in the Abyss which you can't do on any other server you can take their demon claws and along with everything else they have. When you ask for Siege to be easier you are asking for it to not be Siege.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
We do not have Item Insurance and lots of blessed items, we like that, but even when we do have higher risk than Prodo Fel, we do not get dbl resources, that do not make sense.
Yes a lot are different, our ruleset are harder in many ways, but maybe it's time to changes it a little. 2x resources and +1000 luck would not ruin our economy. It do not add more gold to the game.
Adding recall with a kind of delay would not changes our economy
Letting Siege players have a char more would not changes the economy
But yes it could bring us more players.

Removing the part about vendors do not buy your wares would changes the economy as it add gold to the game.
Adding Item insurance and blessing would hurt Siege too

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What's the point in playing siege if you want all the rule sets the same as a production shard?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What's the point in playing siege if you want all the rule sets the same as a production shard?
We don't.... read what Freja posted. And I agree with Freja. Often have wondered why I don't get double resources. Also have always wondered why on Siege if it's FEL everywhere why aren't treasure chests from T-Maps the same loot everywhere... Why is it only the maps in Britannia that give the pinks and such? Shouldn't they ALL give that?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is it that people know what Siege is all about and still go there to play UO on a much harder shard then come here and whine when they do not have the same rewards as prodo shards? You knew what Siege was all about in less than a week and you still stayed there to develope your char and now you whine because FEL is better than Siege. If you want to play FEL then bring your tush back to the prodo shards and play FEL.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We don't.... read what Freja posted. And I agree with Freja. Often have wondered why I don't get double resources. Also have always wondered why on Siege if it's FEL everywhere why aren't treasure chests from T-Maps the same loot everywhere... Why is it only the maps in Britannia that give the pinks and such? Shouldn't they ALL give that?
What are you talking about, don't you predominantly play Great Lakes?

I read what she posted but the rule set is set that way for a reason. If you want production rule sets then play a production shard.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
renown is a guarantee drop I believe....but it seems to me I also get them on every second or third normal fire demon...at least I do on cats
This one had roughly 900 gold, and 3 or 4 junk items and nothing else.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apparently people start playing on Siege these days without knowing what it is. It is a hard mode server. NPCs don't sell resources, they charge 3x the normal rate for things and don't buy from players. Resources are not doubled on purpose. Tools all have durability and break even the scissors. Plus about 40 other things that make Siege harder than a normal server. The reward for your risk is that when you kill another player in the Abyss which you can't do on any other server you can take their demon claws and along with everything else they have. When you ask for Siege to be easier you are asking for it to not be Siege.
I've played UO for 17 yrs, i've been on Siege since 09, I'm not new to any of this, clearly the point of my post was missed by most.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This one had roughly 900 gold, and 3 or 4 junk items and nothing else.
There could very well be a difference in loot from production shards vs SP....I cant speak intelligently on that issue so I will avoid speculation about corruption or collusion :)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've played UO for 17 yrs, i've been on Siege since 09, I'm not new to any of this, clearly the point of my post was missed by most.
No, I think we got the gist of the post, it's just very few fed into the logic.

Sorry.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ya we all know that......but you are also dead wrong....I kill players in the abyss on catskills weekly!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There could very well be a difference in loot from production shards vs SP....I cant speak intelligently on that issue so I will avoid speculation about corruption or collusion :)
Siege is more challenging with differences to make it that way. No corruption or collusion involved. Siege isn't for those who demand immediate gratification or things to be nice and easy, it's for those who like more challenge, not whimpy souls. Loot may be less on Siege, if so it's not much less.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What are you talking about, don't you predominantly play Great Lakes?

I read what she posted but the rule set is set that way for a reason. If you want production rule sets then play a production shard.
Yes I predominantly play on GLs... but I am often on Siege as well. I enjoy Siege. Siege actually tends to work well with my work hours.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing was missed, you want FEL Prodo rewards on a non FEL Shard. Siege is not FEL.
I didn't realize you were a UO dev. Explain to me why when using a crystal portal on Siege, to go to Minoc mint you must say either Felucca Minoc Mint, or Fel Minoc Mint ? I"ll wait for you to reason that one out.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fire Claws on Siege run about the same as Chessie. Just went and mugged enough fire daemons to get 3 claws, got them on #4, #8, & #9.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't realize you were a UO dev. Explain to me why when using a crystal portal on Siege, to go to Minoc mint you must say either Felucca Minoc Mint, or Fel Minoc Mint ? I"ll wait for you to reason that one out.
LMAO this is your reasoning. When the portals were created it was easier to make them for the prodo shards where there is FEL and TRAM and then copy them to Siege, now please use that gray matter when trying to dispute something or trying to strengthen your whine. I suppose you would like the devs to waste more dev time fixing stupid vet rewards, wouldn't you. What is really funny is you say you played UO for 17 years and Siege from 2009 and you come on here and whine about something that has been in the game for a long time or didn't you realize that FEL has had dbl resources for a long time now, LOL.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fire Claws on Siege run about the same as Chessie. Just went and mugged enough fire daemons to get 3 claws, got them on #4, #8, & #9.
Guess @GarthGrey didn't realize that you may have to kill more than one to get what he wanted. TY for posting this info.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
So did I read correctly that you are only allowed one toon on SP? is that too encourage teamwork? I couldn't imagine making only a crafter and not having a way to take care of yourself at I can with my prod shard. Just curious about SP as I've often wished things like item insurance and blessed items were never introduced

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why is it that people know what Siege is all about and still go there to play UO on a much harder shard then come here and whine when they do not have the same rewards as prodo shards? You knew what Siege was all about in less than a week and you still stayed there to develope your char and now you whine because FEL is better than Siege. If you want to play FEL then bring your tush back to the prodo shards and play FEL.
Most important part of the Siege ruleset is, we have fel rules on all facet and no item Insurance, at least thats what make me play Siege. I can't stand the trammel ruleset and I do not like Item Insurance and alot of blessed stuff.
Also the npc vendor rules are something I would hate to see go.

We did not choose the Siege rules, some former devs did. I never agreed with all of them. I just wanted a shard without stat loss, when it was born and now I want it without the trammel ruleset and without Item Insuramce, that's what make me play Siege!

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya we all know that......but you are also dead wrong....I kill players in the abyss on catskills weekly!
Perhaps you are thinking of the champ spawns, which are on a different sub server with different rules than the spawn this person is farming which on production servers is the tram rules abyss area.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You missed out then, pre AoS Siege was the place to be. From it's launch to around 2001-2 it was an amazing server to play on. If you complained about resources back then the people of Siege would have just laughed at you. Then murdered you. Then murdered your horse for good measure. :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You missed out then, pre AoS Siege was the place to be. From it's launch to around 2001-2 it was an amazing server to play on. If you complained about resources back then the people of Siege would have just laughed at you. Then murdered you. Then murdered your horse for good measure. :)
We are missing one ressource badly now, players. If we had the numbers, we had in 1999-2002, Siege would be fun again.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess @GarthGrey didn't realize that you may have to kill more than one to get what he wanted. TY for posting this info.
Considering items like daemon claws and such loots are supposed to be uncommon and take some time and effort to get and that this has always been true in this game, I'm really surprised at his having failed to notice it over all the years he's played. Must not have done much high end monster hunting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So did I read correctly that you are only allowed one toon on SP? is that too encourage teamwork? I couldn't imagine making only a crafter and not having a way to take care of yourself at I can with my prod shard. Just curious about SP as I've often wished things like item insurance and blessed items were never introduced
Yes one toon on Siege but that's not to say you can't have a vast array of soulstones...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People on siege rely on having imbued suits and backup suits just to play their character. something you dont have to do on insurance shards. Yes, since Siege is fel rule set all resources should have double drop rate just like fel rule set on insurance shards. Siege actually needs double drop rate for stuff like imbue regs, it only makes sense that a basic system implemented on insurance shards just to "entice" people to play in fel, should be there on a shard where you actually Need the higher amount of resources.

Im sure the lack of double resources / 1k luck on Siege was Not intended but merely an oversight. If it was, perhaps @Mesanna could explain the reasoning behind it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Plus, imbue regs really arent even farmed on insurance shards anymore. Siege never got the influx of duped ingredients from that Europa castle that effectively destroyed any reason to go the abyss (obviously because no transfers to Siege) Still dont know why the duper castle wasnt deleted rather than allowed to idoc and be looted. that 1 full castle packed with 1mil com deeds will take longer to use up than UO will be in existence.

Just that fact that Siege doesnt have unlimited supply of bulk duped ingredients available builds an even stronger case for double resources on Siege (because you do actaully have to farm them, cant just buy them at cheap duped goods prices)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps you are thinking of the champ spawns, which are on a different sub server with different rules than the spawn this person is farming which on production servers is the tram rules abyss area.
daemon claws do come from the Abyssal Infernal fel-ruleset champ spawn, its the easiest place to farm them in game.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
daemon claws do come from the Abyssal Infernal fel-ruleset champ spawn, its the easiest place to farm them in game.
I never knew what part of Abyss, that is fel on normal shards as there is no diff on Siege. I don't know if the drop are better in the part, that is fel on normal shards.

Just that fact that Siege doesnt have unlimited supply of bulk duped ingredients available builds an even stronger case for double resources on Siege (because you do actaully have to farm them, cant just buy them at cheap duped goods prices)
It would help alot as younger PvP'ers gives up easy on Siege, as they tent to get looted more as they don't have builded a reputation yet that make players go easy on them.
If I attack someone and end up dying, they know me and know, I was not going to loot them and they will go easy on me.

If a new red PK attack someone, people don't know him and will think he attacked to kill and loot them and many will loot him heavy. That start the problem, as he now need a new suit and will start to loot heavy to build up a stock of spare suits. He now get a reputation as a dry looter and each time he die, he will lose his gear.

He will not last long unless he learn, that he need to stop the heavy looting or he need friends to be safe in numbers.

If the crafters could make less expensive suits and stock their vendors, it would help too. Here we could need to lower the vendor fee on Siege as the crafters can't affort to keep the vendors stocked as the fee will eat up the profit

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
On my prod shard, I have a legendary crafter for almost all thing craft wise and had to move lumberjacking to a different toon and gm mining to a different toon. Took me years to build him up and I started in 2000. I would be looking to make a crafter again but how expensive are soulstones? Are they about as hard to get as on prod shards?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The point of my post was dbl resources and 1000 luck missing from our felucca ruleset shard, the story about daemon claws was simply about what I was doing the night before, and my disappointment on receiving only 1 claw.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO this is your reasoning. When the portals were created it was easier to make them for the prodo shards where there is FEL and TRAM and then copy them to Siege, now please use that gray matter when trying to dispute something or trying to strengthen your whine. I suppose you would like the devs to waste more dev time fixing stupid vet rewards, wouldn't you. What is really funny is you say you played UO for 17 years and Siege from 2009 and you come on here and whine about something that has been in the game for a long time or didn't you realize that FEL has had dbl resources for a long time now, LOL.
Hey Gandalf, this isnt my first post on dbl resources, and others on Siege have voiced their concern as well.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering items like daemon claws and such loots are supposed to be uncommon and take some time and effort to get and that this has always been true in this game, I'm really surprised at his having failed to notice it over all the years he's played. Must not have done much high end monster hunting.
The annoying thing about demon claws (not on thread topic, but..) is that the are SO much harder to get than every other slayer ingredient. I always thought they should just be 100% drops. They would still be quite a bit harder to get than any of the others.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well as someone who has been on siege since day one, I have to say that things have changed. We have had to deal with all of the negative bleed through from regular shards, that honestly do not work at all well with our rule set, and things like double resources and the luck bonus that you get in fel would help to compensate for that fact.

Simply put the itemization in this game was NOT designed for a full item loss ruleset. It was designed for a no loss ruleset. As such making suits and back up suits has become a real hassle, especially for pvpers.

It's not that we picked this shard and are now complaining about the rules that were in place when we signed up. We are dealing with our rule set being unintentionally changed gradually over the years with no counter balance directly made with our rule set in mind, to the point that it has become difficult to play in a regular way for some people. Double resources and luck bonuses wouldn't solve these problems but they would help a bit. I have been advocating siege exclusive drop rates for a lonnnng time, because the game just works differently on siege.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well as someone who has been on siege since day one, I have to say that things have changed. We have had to deal with all of the negative bleed through from regular shards, that honestly do not work at all well with our rule set, and things like double resources and the luck bonus that you get in fel would help to compensate for that fact.

Simply put the itemization in this game was NOT designed for a full item loss ruleset. It was designed for a no loss ruleset. As such making suits and back up suits has become a real hassle, especially for pvpers.

It's not that we picked this shard and are now complaining about the rules that were in place when we signed up. We are dealing with our rule set being unintentionally changed gradually over the years with no counter balance directly made with our rule set in mind, to the point that it has become difficult to play in a regular way for some people. Double resources and luck bonuses wouldn't solve these problems but they would help a bit. I have been advocating siege exclusive drop rates for a lonnnng time, because the game just works differently on siege.
Thanks for not throwing me under the bus too ;-)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would be for the Double resources, if they do it on the Felucca facet only. There is too much land mass to get it everywhere and making it only Felucca would help keep the scripters in a spot we can keep an eye on them better (I know it would still be dang near impossible, but would still be better than if allowed everywhere). I would like to see a boost to the population and having enough resources to keep myself and others outfitted would help quite a bit.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually you can farm resources even in the trammel and pvp areas of the Abyss...if you can deal with the spawn and loot at the same time :)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Plus, imbue regs really arent even farmed on insurance shards anymore. Siege never got the influx of duped ingredients from that Europa castle that effectively destroyed any reason to go the abyss (obviously because no transfers to Siege) Still dont know why the duper castle wasnt deleted rather than allowed to idoc and be looted. that 1 full castle packed with 1mil com deeds will take longer to use up than UO will be in existence.

This is ridiculous.

Someone on Europa looted a castle full of dupes so Siege should get double resources?

You should feel ashamed for even thinking this is sound logic.