• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Few notes on 'Wayback stream'

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
via [UO Herald] Ultima Online at Wayback Wednesday | Stratics Forums

-Sudiva will find a new home (players will decide in a contest, keep an eye out for the UO Herald)
Yay! She won't die!

-Ephemeral items are designed to last only 25 hours while equipped
I assume that means 10 dur lost per an hour or 1 dur lost every 6 minutes because they all have 250 durability. This system is pretty interesting, though. I was definitely wrong w/ my Mongbat scenario in which I went 249/249, that was just time equipped. But guess what? So I went to fight some grizzles so I could step in their ooze, and while my current durability went to 238, as soon as my max went to 248 my current went to 248! Which means (bom bom bom) while your current may drop below your max, the max will refresh your current.

What does that mean? Well, not a whole lot, except if you do end up fighting a grizzle type monster, your item(s) might actually last longer than usual. It's a tough one to calculate, really. I'm sure there will be some unique situations. Otherwise, 25 real time hours equates to eight days straight of three-hour nights, or about a week for a semi-invested player. A casual player might be able to swing two-three weeks out of an ephemeral item, and all of that is based on having the item equipped all the time. For specific items, like a slayer wep, a casual user might be able to stretch it out even longer. Even so, I know none of this attempt at giving value to an otherwise temporary item will mean anything for about 99% of the players, lol...temporary items aren't going to be popular because we want stuff that we never have to worry about getting again...ah, the spoiled, post insurance world of UO.

-Vela is pronounced Veyla
-Chesapeake invented "Mesanna Roulette" (shameless Chessie plug!)

-Wave 38 out of 61 for 144 points, Grak started on Wave 17 so missed 16 waves plus more while dead I suppose--seems to work with the formula (38 waves). So for the PvPers, keep the opponent dead and they should lose out on waves just because they're dead. Seems like out right leaving the dungeon and dying are two ways to lose out on waves.

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ephemeral property deducts maximum durability at a rate of one point per six minutes, while the item is equipped AND the wearer is actively fighting. Being in war mode does not count, nor does simply being the target of aggression. You have to actually be fighting. Also, it deducts from the 25-hour "lifetime" in 10-second increments; if you spend 10 minutes in a fight but only spend half that time in actual combat, your ephemerals will only lose 5 minutes of lifetime.

The current durability is repaired to max durability frequently. The intent is for ephemerals to last for 25 hours of actual fighting time without having to worry about keeping them repaired.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The current durability is repaired to max durability frequently. The intent is for ephemerals to last for 25 hours of actual fighting time without having to worry about keeping them repaired.
So...when will we have a functional Staff of Pyros? jk ;P

Thanks for the clarifications!

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The ephemeral property deducts maximum durability at a rate of one point per six minutes, while the item is equipped AND the wearer is actively fighting. Being in war mode does not count, nor does simply being the target of aggression. You have to actually be fighting. Also, it deducts from the 25-hour "lifetime" in 10-second increments; if you spend 10 minutes in a fight but only spend half that time in actual combat, your ephemerals will only lose 5 minutes of lifetime.

At least I know not to bother with the void pool now. I don't farm ingots and I don't need to jump through hoops for a temporary shield with omg FC1 on it or something.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Is there some way to know when the time on it is almost up? I'd hate to leave home to battle mobs only to have my shield disappear 2 minutes after I arrived in the dungeon.

nm, I figured it out when I got to the bottom of my first cup of coffee. :blushing: :dunce:

S

Sevin0oo0

Is there some way to know when the time on it is almost up? nm, I figured it out when I got to the bottom of my first cup of coffee.
For the rest of us,:dunce: Short Bus riders, what is it?
LOL, Self Repair, Self Destruct? I LOVE that - a sammie's weapon should decay faster, hitting many targets over and over. Negates that 'acid effect' too. 25 hrs could actually be a Long time, Do 'misses' count as active combat? (i'd think so)
A damn smart idea Phoenix, regardless of that hat.
~love

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the maximum durability is going down at a rate of 1 point per six fighting minutes, when it gets down to 5/5 it's time to start carrying a replacement with you :D
and I like the hat. It adds a dash of panache :)