• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Magincia Encampments

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings,

We have uploaded a document which explains the new Magincia Bazaar and the new trade opportunities it offers..
If you want to learn more about Animal Brokers and Commodity Brokers, please read the New Magincia Bazaar pdf.

More...

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know about selling access to these brokers through a theme pack. And I don't understand the "pro rata" plus small commsion charges. Does this mean a fee similar to the current vendor charges plus another commision when the item is sold? How do the merchant earing thingers work with these?

B

Beastmaster

Question on animal brokers.

If your lease expires and say you have 10 animals on the broker. You go to the warehouse person within 7 days to claim the pets. When you claim them are you allowed to claim specific pets one at a time or does it try to dump them all on you at once? The latter would obviously exceed your follower limit and probably force some to go wild.

Or, does it attempt to stable them for you? If so, what happens if your stable is too crowded? Same thing, go wild?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Somebody help a brother out here. Because I'm not getting it. What I am reading is basically that you can rent vendors now in Magincia? Who asked for that? I thought the whole market thing was to have a central search and find operation for an item much like "insert name here" . If thats all there is to it, you just rent a vendor in Mag, I don't see it being a draw to move people out of Luna, or away from established shops that aren't in Luna. *shrugs*

Maybe I just don't get it, or read it wrong.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well you can sell pets now on the brokers and that for sure is new plus you can sell your deeds to venders along with buy from them !
I think a search board maybe located by the docks that searched the brokers then gave you the stall number would be nice

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somebody help a brother out here. Because I'm not getting it. What I am reading is basically that you can rent vendors now in Magincia? Who asked for that? I thought the whole market thing was to have a central search and find operation for an item much like "insert name here" . If thats all there is to it, you just rent a vendor in Mag, I don't see it being a draw to move people out of Luna, or away from established shops that aren't in Luna. *shrugs*

Maybe I just don't get it, or read it wrong.
I agree, personally I don't like how is designed at all :(

T

Talula

Depending on how high the rent on these things gets bid up, it may be more efficient to keep my 4 Luna vendors at 10k/week rent each. I appreciate the fact that the vendor bidding and rental represents a gold sink, but you have to factor in potential profit when renting a space. If people can make more profit with equal effort elsewhere, then a space won't be worth bidding on. I was also under the impression that these spots were supposed to benefit new players who could not afford a Luna vendor - a bidding system definitely nixes that idea entirely.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*wonders what a giant vendor-dominated strip mall has to do with Humility*
"[Humility] is about perceiving one's place in the world, not according to one's own accomplishments, but according to the intrinsic value of all individuals"
So allowing Magincia vendors for people who haven't accomplished ownership of a Magincia house is... *sighs*
No one's going to buy that, and that's the best rationale I've got :p

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on how high the rent on these things gets bid up, it may be more efficient to keep my 4 Luna vendors at 10k/week rent each. I appreciate the fact that the vendor bidding and rental represents a gold sink, but you have to factor in potential profit when renting a space. If people can make more profit with equal effort elsewhere, then a space won't be worth bidding on. I was also under the impression that these spots were supposed to benefit new players who could not afford a Luna vendor - a bidding system definitely nixes that idea entirely.
Just bid what you can afford and select it to apply to the next available stall. Don't try and get into a bidding war for a specific spot. Rather than view these spots as permanent vendor locations, just view them as spots to feature goods on a temporary basis.

I didn't see anything about runes, but I'm guessing you could also sell runes to your main vendor house and benefit from the exposure of being in the Maginica Bazaar.

My question is when does this start? The UOHerald and .pdf don't have a date.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles* At least ya tried. A+ for effort!!! hehehe
I do like the concept, but I don't think I like it in New Magincia.

In all, New Magincia falls under the "I wouldn't have done it like that", but this "encampment" malarkey is icing on the cake.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I was reading the document and dozes off. When I woke up I said and why would I want to do this...

I dont get it.

O

olduofan

I found this to be interesting

"Commodity Brokers are able to both buy and sell commodity items for their employer"

so do I understand this correctly we can some how put in a request for items we are looking to buy of other players?

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found this to be interesting

"Commodity Brokers are able to both buy and sell commodity items for their employer"

so do I understand this correctly we can some how put in a request for items we are looking to buy of other players?
I believe so, If you read further you'll find this bit:

"To sell an item to the broker, click the corresponding button on the “SELL” side of the interface, enter the quantity, and click the “TRADE” button."

And for this reason, I really like them!

O

olduofan

so lets say I would like to buy a BLOOD TILE I some how type in blood tile and how would it no which tile there are lets say 5 different ones? just used as an example not sure why Im thinking about blood ha.

Ohh took one look at that page didn get very far I already have a bad headache didn want to get a migraine reading all that ha.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so lets say I would like to buy a BLOOD TILE I some how type in blood tile and how would it no which tile there are lets say 5 different ones? just used as an example not sure why Im thinking about blood ha.

Ohh took one look at that page didn get very far I already have a bad headache didn want to get a migraine reading all that ha.
I guessed it only sells/buys commodity deeds, hence the name.

G

Gunga_Din

Horrible idea and to make matters worse, these ugly stalls are located in front of my house. Owning a vendor in Luna trumps this. The only advantage is to sell pets and try to buy resources.

However, owning a vendor in Luna does not require all this reading and the search sites easily help you find what your looking for.

I suggest just dropping this entire concept and start over. I would have just placed unique NPC shops that sold wares you can't get anywhere else in Britannia or via crafting.

Example: Different dye tubs, clothing pieces, hair dyes, furniture, weapons you can imbue, antique dealers etc. Be creative. That would be a far better idea to draw people to maginica. Basically, people will come to Magincia only to buy pets, thats it.

What a waste of time and resources. When the hell is the development team gonna hire me? You guys need my help....badly. Send me an email Mesanna, i'll work for free even, but pass these ideas through me first. Gunga knows best :)

One more thing, won't buyer and seller both have to purchase the upgrade? What if only a small percentage upgrade? Won't that hurt your auctions?

O

olduofan

Horrible idea and to make matters worse, these ugly stalls are located in front of my house. Owning a vendor in Luna trumps this. The only advantage is to sell pets and try to buy resources.

However, owning a vendor in Luna does not require all this reading and the search sites easily help you find what your looking for.

I suggest just dropping this entire concept and start over. I would have just placed unique NPC shops that sold wares you can't get anywhere else in Britannia or via crafting.

Example: Different dye tubs, clothing pieces, hair dyes, furniture, weapons you can imbue, antique dealers etc. Be creative. That would be a far better idea to draw people to maginica. Basically, people will come to Magincia only to buy pets, thats it.

What a waste of time and resources. When the hell is the development team gonna hire me? You guys need my help....badly. Send me an email Mesanna, i'll work for free even, but pass these ideas through me first. Gunga knows best :)

One more thing, won't buyer and seller both have to purchase the upgrade? What if only a small percentage upgrade? Won't that hurt your auctions?
best suggestion I have read so far

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guessed it only sells/buys commodity deeds, hence the name.
Sounds like it. I like the concept--and how we can now just enter what we want to deposit instead of having to buy checks off a vendor--but I have some questions, as follows:

1) I know the lease is for 7 days, but how much time will there be for the auction process? How much time will people have to bid on a spot?
2) How are we notified if we win? Looks like the housing message system? Otherwise, "next available" would suck without a message, haha.
3) Why are there turnips in the stall picture? :p

M

Muu Bin

Previously stated...

Demonous: "Too much to read" - AGREED
Gunga: "One more thing, won't buyer and seller both have to purchase the upgrade? What if only a small percentage upgrade? Won't that hurt your auctions?" - HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD

If one needs to have purchased the theme packs in order to access the Encampment System, then the system is going to flop right out of the gate in many ways. The theme packs seem to be targeting a number of niches in the game: house deco, gardening, weapon training, distilling (cooking?), and of course the brokers for items and pets. I usually try to see the glass half full but looking at this as a gold sink, you'd have to have a lot of players buy into it - and I just don't see it happening. But... as mentioned above... if both buyer and seller need to have bought into this system, then you are limiting yourself even more. As a seller, why would I want to limit my items for sale to a fraction of what I can sell to with a regular vendor outside of the system? Hire Gunga for heaven's sake... :bowdown:

W

Wojoe

I think the idea of making Magincia a pet flea market is lame and im hoping you have some other idea's that appeal to us non-tamers.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How the bazaar should be:

1) Pet vendor: able to buy/sell pet of EVERYONE and take a daily cost based on how much pets you have for sale. This should also have a filter for search the pet you are looking for (kind of animal, statistics, etc..)

2) Auctioneers: npc able to auction items. Everyone can put an item on auction and the npc will take a percent on the final sale. This should has a filter too.

3) The "Broker": an npc that shows every items available on every vendor on the shard. Through a search engine you can find everything and buy the items.

4) The Bazaar (community collection): This collection should provide a replica of every recent event items, EM items, etc... The items should be marked as [Replica] and updated while new events end. Wearables should also be not powderable and with 150 durability like all the replicas (durability should be also present on cloth items), so the original ones will keep their value.
The items you can donate should also change. For example if you donate 1k boards, after the server maintainance the boards will be replaced by something else.
Like all the community collections there should be some market bench and the items on top of them should became available based on the total points. When new bench appears should appears also new npcs quest giver (hard quests with random good rewards).
This will also give a better look to magincia instead of this graveyard of signs or a giant stable :(

I know it will never be changed, but this is how I imagined the bazaar when it has been announced...

B

BellaofCats

I like the idea of selling pets this way. But I do have a question; if I want to buy/sell a certain pet color, will the listing include color information? I wouldn't want to buy a white cusidhe only to find, once I'm the owner, that the cusidhe's name is "a white cuesidhe" but it's color is grey.

Bella

B

Beastmaster

I like the idea of selling pets this way. But I do have a question; if I want to buy/sell a certain pet color, will the listing include color information? I wouldn't want to buy a white cusidhe only to find, once I'm the owner, that the cusidhe's name is "a white cuesidhe" but it's color is grey.

Bella
You can view the actual pet before purchase.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say that I really don't believe that the dev team understand how economic activity works within this game; why would anyone wish to compete within an auction system against other players, with it's associated and variable cost, for the right to vend a limited set of items for 7 days at a time... when they can have a permanent presence at a predictable rate cost vendor, for any item at all they can store in a backpack, that's no more complicated to set up than double clicking a scroll? And one which, more over, the naughty web pages can script and allow to be searchable out of game?

The Pet Vendor might have been a good idea, had it been accessible from any stables in the world; however I can see a number of design problems that will make it much less useful in those small pens in Magincia, the main one being a Greater Dragon in there is going to make it exceptionally hard to see smaller pets being shown at the same time. But that isn't going to be a problem as it's very, very rare to find a pet worth selling in the first place; 4.0+ pets are pretty common and so do not sell, but the blaze etc or 4.5+ pets which would are literally 1 in 10000 opportunities. Considering that, it doesn't make sense to take the vending 5% cost when, like castles and other high-desire items, you can put up a post here at Stratics and the people with the serious money will come to you.

Also, and this is a major draw back in selling pets, there's no room for the human communication element. I have a 4.3 rated GD and she goes to EM events and dies a fair bit. So I know what her maximum stats are, but she's currently .2 very, very slow Magery regains from them. On a pet vendor, there's no way for me to state "She's actually a tiny bit stronger", nor can you state "Fresh Tame", "Half Trained" etc... which makes a huge difference with regards to the final worth of a pet.

Obviously opening the Vendors to advertising would risk people scamming by claiming "It's really a 5 star pet!"; but there should be a Spoiler tag so people can, if they choose, see what the final stats are to be. This may at least encourage people to use the vendors, as they would be getting extra certainty from this process. As it currently stands though, whilst I like the idea in general, I'm not tempted to get involved with this at all, even as an occasionally serious pet seller myself.

I have already commentated at length about how disappointed I was with the butchery of Ultima's lore and atmosphere in foisting a system of greed upon us irrespective of what we did in the fight for the city of Humility, so it doesn't need rehashing now. But I want to add further disapproval to the shift towards nickle and diming the consumer; I realise UO may be on life support and these are necessary evils to sustain it a few more months, but I still dislike the way that it is being applied with such little regard to anything but the spirit of business. My relationship is with the Lore, not the Store, and whilst it may be profitable, it's not beautiful... and instead of creating a sense of a living, breathing world it just reinforces to my mind the idea that the game is dying. High Seas would have been a breathe of fresh air, if it hadn't been so riddled with bugs and the alien-to-Ultima idea that Grind is the same as Pleasure. These booster packs though seem to have no underlying theme except "You'll give us money for this, right?!". But where have these merchants, and moonshine stills suddenly come from? It's a role playing game, so what role do they have in the virtual world?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2) Auctioneers: npc able to auction items. Everyone can put an item on auction and the npc will take a percent on the final sale. This should has a filter too.
While I would love to see a system where we can search our player vendors easily, I'm not sure I'd want to see the system brought to the "WoW" level with a central buy/sell interface.

And the one thing I'd absolutely hate to see simply because it could effectively close every auction house in the game would be an in-game auctioneer. While I understand they're more convenient, convenience in the form of the vendor actually killed the ability for crafters to stand around and sell their wares. Of all the things I miss from 1997 Ultima Online, this is the one. If I needed armor, I went to the Brit smith; if I needed spells for my spellbook, I went to the mage shop on the north end of town... the loss of that... well... you know, player vendors are okay, but... I'd hate to see a similar thing kill auction houses.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Should they add descriptions and a REAL way to view the pet? Say you loaded a vendor with faction horses, whos gunna know its a faction horse? And why would they take your word for it?

S

Sevin0oo0

About Luna2 again... I don't think it will be, since it only works with 'resource' type items?
Meaning only items that will go into a commodity deed
In that warehouse message shown, does "DELETE NOW" mean delete the message, or inventory?

OK, So who was listening? "three styles of Animal Broker stalls and three styles of Commodity Broker styles".
Styles? Buying and Selling are 2, what's the 3rd??

Win-Win for tamers and scripters? Cool!

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Post 18 from THIS thread last August:

P.S ... And don't worry about Magincia ... we are staying true to the intent and nature of the city.
I call BS.

While a giant money sink for housing has little to do with Humility, these encampments have even less.

Instead of old Magincia being the city of Pride, New Magincia is being made into a shadow of Luna, the city of Avarice. Nearly every available space in the city is for rent, and it looks downright tacky.

New Magincia = Dev Team FAILURE to (or apathy towards) understand Ultima lore.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol... i love how like half of the people here find like less than three pages of text "too much to read". I mean seriously.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cetric GL - you can select to 'view' the pet, it will appear in the enclosure for you to see it.
Sevin0oo0 - three styles are a choice of 3 ways the stall can look.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
................For those that can't read, or fail to hold an intrest for more than 15 seconds.........the PDF offers players another route to buy and sell. Instead of the mundane Loona situation, that so many seem to like (God only knows why).......

............If you don't like it, oh well, don't use it. Stick to the loserland of Luna.

later

G

Gunga_Din

Nice comment there lol. Enjoy using the encampment with the other 10 people who upgrade on your shard.

Seriously though, its not that great of an option.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this or not but I was thinking, the Magincia Encampments are going to work only if you pay real money to UO for the ability to bid for a spot. Then you have to outbid other players with in-game gold, and the people who are going to win, usually, are going to be the ones who buy gold from a third party. What I'm wondering is, do the Magincia Encampments encourage third party sales by making it so this part of the game can only be bought with real money? Or in other words, since UO is sorta in between the stages of pay and free to play, does this "can't beat them" approach only help to encourage those who aren't paying third party to start paying third party?

F

Fayled Dhreams

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this or not but I was thinking, the Magincia Encampments are going to work only if you pay real money to UO for the ability to bid for a spot. Then you have to outbid other players with in-game gold, and the people who are going to win, usually, are going to be the ones who buy gold from a third party. What I'm wondering is, do the Magincia Encampments encourage third party sales by making it so this part of the game can only be bought with real money? Or in other words, since UO is sorta in between the stages of pay and free to play, does this "can't beat them" approach only help to encourage those who aren't paying third party to start paying third party?
:lol: don't know about your "payment status"
But I spend "real money" to keep my accounts active
&
I also pay "real money" for my net-access

I have the option to pay more ... for other accounts and better conn
and (when it's working) UOgamecodes offer's me a selection of "different" pixels
to play with in "my" sandbox

I also have an option (since EA-UO has always allowed it)
to seek out other avenues of RMT(real money transaction)
to pretty much acquire >any< pixel group in-game
for use in "my" sandbox

So no,
do the Magincia Encampments encourage third party sales by making it so this part of the game can only be bought with real money?
No, no "encouragement"

same as it ever was

SOSDD ... different momentary perspective

"most" of the debates here bouts ...
are trying to get >someone else< to pay

/simple ... yw :danceb:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put together a page on the bazaar. It might help people understand the system better. Creating the page certainly helped me.
Renting at the Bazaar

What it isn't, is a vendor mall - There'll be no vendors named 'UBER RARE WHATEVER'. You can't change the name of the broker, and you can't sell 'uber rares'. It's more of a 'market' - a much more humble concept.
The brokers will only sell commodities. Bid too high on your stall and you may not make your money back with the goods you sell.

My intention, if I can, is to have a stall selling non-tamer pets such as swamp dragon, blue beetle, fire beetle.

T

Trebr Drab

I put together a page on the bazaar. It might help people understand the system better. Creating the page certainly helped me.
Renting at the Bazaar

What it isn't, is a vendor mall - There'll be no vendors named 'UBER RARE WHATEVER'. You can't change the name of the broker, and you can't sell 'uber rares'. It's more of a 'market' - a much more humble concept.
The brokers will only sell commodities. Bid too high on your stall and you may not make your money back with the goods you sell.

My intention, if I can, is to have a stall selling non-tamer pets such as swamp dragon, blue beetle, fire beetle.
Thank you, Petra.

Watching this and the Player Town Banner thing going on, it's my hope that they add this feature to player towns, and then add a trade function between them.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no,
do the Magincia Encampments encourage third party sales by making it so this part of the game can only be bought with real money?
No, no "encouragement"
You really don't have much to offer this community. I guess I should apologize to Vlaude or whomever made that Portal thread. Of course, he already has you blocked.

Yeah, obviously everyone pays real money to play this game--oh, except the people who don't, because you can just farm gold. Do you even play UO? You'll probably say something stupid in response like you still have to pay for electricity--almost as pointless as mentioning how you pay for an ISP. Even if you do pay a monthly for UO, the encampments are an in-game premium, a premium which may require another out-game premium to compete (third party). UO is encouraging third party sales with this product, and taking a cut--which is smart for them, I just wonder what that'll mean for future content. I think Gunga probably said as much earlier in the thread.

Anyway, Fayled, if you can't understand the premise, then why did you even bother to reply in the first place? I guess I just answered my own question...you reply without knowing what you're talking about all the time...well, next time you play UO, if you actually play UO, maybe you'll understand how a virtual economy works. Maybe you'll also realize UOGameCodes never sold a premium service like encampments, and how encampments differs from "pixels."