• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many time need to see EA THAT SOLUTION of UO IS JOIN SERVERS

P

Prosopopeya

weak up ea, uo no need only exapnsions, need more people playing.
i hope that ea join servers, and populations of server up.
Europa server is death in pvp, and change others servers is imposible high ping for a european in atlantic, great laks, chease...

please help us

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So destroy communities, cause immense housing issues, make lag for people who don't have lag due to server moves...

For... um... what?

C

canary

As much as I think it MAY be a good idea, in theory, in practice it'd be a big ol' mess. Old Seer places, housing, etc? I can only imagine the chaos.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I completely agree with the original poster.

the one thing holding it all back really is the housing issue. Communities can move, guilds can move, everything can be transfered and stay the same except certain shard "lore" and player housing. I'd give up my houses in favor of more people fairly quickly tbh =/

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people that want larger and more active shards usually transfer or make chars on those shards, and the people who like the smaller shards play on those shards. Part of UO lore is the individual history of each shard, and there are alot of people that are proud of that and if you start merging shards together you will most likely loose many players since its no longer has the feeling of their shard.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

the one thing holding it all back really is the housing issue. Communities can move, guilds can move, everything can be transfered and stay the same except certain shard "lore" and player housing. I'd give up my houses in favor of more people fairly quickly tbh =/
So give up your house and move to a more populated server, quit wanting it forced on others.

N

Nestorius

The people that want larger and more active shards usually transfer or make chars on those shards, and the people who like the smaller shards play on those shards. Part of UO lore is the individual history of each shard, and there are alot of people that are proud of that and if you start merging shards together you will most likely loose many players since its no longer has the feeling of their shard.
I agree. It would be better for EA/Mythic to concentrate on making the game itself more playable and interesting so as to attract NEW players while keeping the old players happy.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa server is death in pvp, and change others servers is imposible high ping for a european in atlantic, great laks, chease...

please help us
maybe if EA offered players a dental plan over there...more would join up. :lick:

B

BlackMagus

maybe if EA offered players a dental plan over there...more would join up. :lick:
actually, contrary to the states in europe *everyone* has a plan paid for by the government... :lick:

now, on a more serious note: while I share the problem of bad ping to the populated PvP shards with the OP, and actually like the idea of shard mergers for my own reasons, i think it wouldn't help with the problem at hands for UO in europe.

a shard merger would not bring US or asian players move to europa, and merging drachs and europa, well, two times nothing is still not a lot. you'd just have even more populated servers in the states that you don't ping to really well...

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Sosarians,

I know of nothing preventing any Player from creating characters on the shard of their choice.

Merging Shards would serve only to drive more Players AND Payers from our Virtual World.

Each of us knows a dozen folks or more who are not currently Playing UO.

Talk to them. Encourage them to try it with you as their Guide.

If we are each unable or unwilling to convince others to join our fun here, how may we reasonably expect EAMythic to accomplish this?

An SoS

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You already can by moving servers.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This has been posted so many times and it really comes down to a couple of things that will prevent it in my opinion!
1 housing
2 server locations (connection speed)
so with that said if you all want to move to LS then I am for it! Otherwise No!

P

Prosopopeya

if u ask me if i prefer lost my houses in my server for, more action in other server and place the house in other plot, i tell u
YES YES YES

why i would like a plot in luna if there are anyone playing and can sell nothing

change to anohter sever with more people is imposible for bad ping

in my server europa i play with ping 80-90 (and is bad ping) in atlantic play with ping 200 imposibe fight with this ping

People uo die, how ea don´t think anything

we pay every month to play, i pass hours in europa yew gate waiting anyone to fight i go to champs searching action and nothing, and when pass minuts i close uo.

and i think that a lot of people do the same

there are more people in unofficial servers doing pvp that in europa server

I have 5 accounts 14€ for account every month, how ea don´t help the server with a few pvp action, fianlly i close my accounts, and more people

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like this is a personal problem. Your ping is garbage. So, to make it better for you and your under played shard, let's jack everyone else around.

Forget it kid, move yourselves.......you may think it's dead now.....wait'll you screw with hundreds of others over a small % that have a game issue. They'll bail in a heartbeat, myself included. I have never once, in all my years, quit, take a break, or not logged on at least once a day.....forgetaboutit.

:yell:
later

L

Llwyd

Combining servers is a bad idea. You're going to have too many unhappy players -- me, for one example, if it means I have to relinquish the keep I placed a few days ago.

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you're quitting I imagine that will be someone else's problem?
Well as its never going to happen I was just pointing out that people with nice housing spots, wont really be willing to move will they?

Stop hating me because I wont give you my things yet.

C

Cloak&Dagger

The only "housing" issue is with players who have to have the house they are in now, in the location it is in now, for most this only consists of the few luna house holders and people with castles (maybe keeps). Easy solution for the luna situation is, remove housing rights from luna there no more unfairness. Castles and keeps....I do not have a current solution for. As for all the other housing, Put every single house into an "instance" like a giant bank box that you can never add items to, so all the items in your house can stay there and once you place a new house you can always move all the items out of there, so there you have it housing is solved. As for the people with "servers moving" if you play on pacific or napa and sonoma you will notice you ping is always the same...because the servers are so close together that the change in your ping is below the scalable amount, so if you ping 10 to pacific, you might ping 10.1 to napa. This low change in ping is not noticeable, you can in fact live with a ping of 1-10 higher than your current ping and most likely never notice the difference.

Any other arguments other than the castle and keep people? This is not likely to ever happen, Altho it would help considerably with the "community" issue everyone has, and lets no one forget the number of shards we have now has MULTIPLIED over the years (something like 5 times the number of shards compared to 1 year after launch?)

I would be all for a strategic merger of the servers, but I do not think they are capable of pulling it off in a pleasing manner :p

U

UOKaiser

Cloak‡1610093 said:
The only "housing" issue is with players who have to have the house they are in now, in the location it is in now, for most this only consists of the few luna house holders and people with castles (maybe keeps). Easy solution for the luna situation is, remove housing rights from luna there no more unfairness. Castles and keeps....I do not have a current solution for. As for all the other housing, Put every single house into an "instance" like a giant bank box that you can never add items to, so all the items in your house can stay there and once you place a new house you can always move all the items out of there, so there you have it housing is solved. As for the people with "servers moving" if you play on pacific or napa and sonoma you will notice you ping is always the same...because the servers are so close together that the change in your ping is below the scalable amount, so if you ping 10 to pacific, you might ping 10.1 to napa. This low change in ping is not noticeable, you can in fact live with a ping of 1-10 higher than your current ping and most likely never notice the difference.

Any other arguments other than the castle and keep people? This is not likely to ever happen, Altho it would help considerably with the "community" issue everyone has, and lets no one forget the number of shards we have now has MULTIPLIED over the years (something like 5 times the number of shards compared to 1 year after launch?)

I would be all for a strategic merger of the servers, but I do not think they are capable of pulling it off in a pleasing manner :p
Theres much more housing problem that you might realize I myself own my own litte town that slowly took me 5 years to get will they give me my town back. Mutiple guilds own multiple homes side by side. Friends own homes next to each other. Some people are stuck in the boomdocks others are close to a gate or road or active location. Others are near dungeons, Others are near oceans so that they can do boat travels, Others have historical locations,Others have lockdowns that old seers put down that cannat be replicated,Others have homes that are guard zone areas while others are near moongates. Others are malls centers and others have long standing homs kept for deceised players, others were given out as rewards.. All this and am not even including luna homes or castles.
This is just dealing with homes could you imagine the other potential consequences?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had a tower in the wilderness and an 18x18 on the shore for years (The tower more years) that I wouldn't give up. It's not about ZOMG THOSE RICH PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL HOUSING

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some people have characters on more than one shard on the same account. What happens to the "extra characters" if EA closes shards and forcibly transfers characters to other shards? Which characters survive and which ones get deleted so that no account exceeds the maximum number of characters per shard allowed on the account?

V

Victoria Navarre

So destroy communities, cause immense housing issues, make lag for people who don't have lag due to server moves...

For... um... what?
At least you understood what he said...I am still trying to understand what the subject title is....

J

Jhym

Horrible idea, and if they ever do, we most likely will be on the way to a shutdown.

cheers.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

please help us

It is not possible for a number of reasons several other players also pointed out.

Personally, the major concern is shards' existing comunities and Housing.

Housing is a strength for UO, but also a weakness.

It is a strength because it helped over the years maintain some revenues income also from players who stopped playing for a while but kept the account active, nonetheless, to protect their housing and their come back to the game.

But this strength, is also a weakness as, IMHO, it clearly deters any merging of shards.

Lots of players have gone out of their way to get their houses where they are on their shard, they have players' towns built up over the years and buying neighbourood houses one by one over a long time span.
Some players spent a whole lot to get their dream homes and merging shards they would be likely to loose them.

Clearly, merging shards would make it impossible for everyone to keep their homes or tows where they are on their shard and so questioning would come up on who would get the first picks at what locations.

There are players who have spent their money keeping their subscriptions as active even when not playing, to protect their Houses at their location on those shards, I do not think it would be thinkable to tell all these players that they spent all that money for nothing because that house at that location would not longer be an option due to the merging of shards and some other player is going to get their spot, instead.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand that the current low shard population (or we should rather call it player activity) is a problem to you and to many other players. I wish my shard was more active, too.

BUT you are forgetting two important things:

1. Merging shards is impossible, as many players would rather quit the game than losing all their individual belongings (meaning especially house spot, player towns, etc.) We all know how splitting the world into Trammel and Felucca destroyed most of the communities.

2. Even if it was possible, it would not change a thing. There are reasons why people are inactive. UO has become a single-player game for item-hoarders. Just read this message board, and what some people demand and complain about, and you will understand! Due to that fact, UO has lost all its dynamics and its original character, and it becomes boring once you have seen all places and own all items you need.

Bring adventure, dynamic and unpredictable content, and challenge back into UO, and people will come back all by themselves. Adding new items and landmasses only guarantees a veteran's attentions span for 6-12 months. Than it's back to same old.

A

AesSedai

- Might there be another solution rather than downsizing in order to increase the playerbase?

Prosopopeya, if it was impossible to join servers, what would you do to increase the people playing on your shard?
How would you help UO and yourself if you could not join servers?

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually, contrary to the states in europe *everyone* has a plan paid for by the government... :lick:

now, on a more serious note: while I share the problem of bad ping to the populated PvP shards with the OP, and actually like the idea of shard mergers for my own reasons, i think it wouldn't help with the problem at hands for UO in europe.

a shard merger would not bring US or asian players move to europa, and merging drachs and europa, well, two times nothing is still not a lot. you'd just have even more populated servers in the states that you don't ping to really well...
yes sir...comment was not meant as anything more than a fun poke...if I offended you I do apologize. I was attempting to be as ignorant as possible...mission accomplished!

also, I play both europa and drach and understand the issue.

two things I am thankful for with smaller pop shards.
1) the chat system (excellent way to speak with other players)
2) land masses have stayed relatively constant in fel for pvp.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring adventure, dynamic and unpredictable content, and challenge back into UO, and people will come back all by themselves. Adding new items and landmasses only guarantees a veteran's attentions span for 6-12 months. Than it's back to same old.

Not even 6-12 months......

We have had a whole new expansion, Stygian Abyss, and for how long it kept interest focused ? It was out in September.....

I have said it many times, focusing a game on items is NOT a long term solution because eventually it gets the game old with newer items replacing older ones and rinse and repeat.

It gets old, boring (same story with items going on and on and on and one, endlessly....) AND it makes balancing the game a nightmare, besides, with so many items out with so many mods out and different CAPs and all that.

Eventually players scout a winning type of character/gear and all jump into using that.

Skill based, like the initial UO was, is MUCH better than item based, IMHO.

P

Prosopopeya

early or later, ea close servers because people stop play uo, go to other mmoprg, and early or later they join servers.
EA have 2 oprtions, join now and stop that players of servers with few people close accounts, or wait more time and when decide join servers there aren´t players

EA always go later, for one time they can go early and help that uo never die

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

please help us
simple solution, YOU move to a more pvp orientated shard

Europa very busy in other ways PvM,Guilds etc

I wish I had more hours in my day as I there is so much i can do, but so little time

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At least you understood what he said...I am still trying to understand what the subject title is....
lol, i think, he/she is saying he/she is fed up and he/she needs to get a better internet than dial up and i think also he/she wanst to quit and play EVE ONLINE

but not 100% sure

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Merging servers will kill what is UO,period.

Did it work for DAoC? Nope.... and they don`t even have the history UO has.
Hmmm a classic shard...did it work for DAoC?...... NOPE !!! Still a ghost town. Only now its a ghost town with less servers.

Find something else to clammer about cause server merges will never happen,ever. If your ping sux,than move to a better ping shard.....if you don`t wanna leave your home shard because of some sort of history there...... think about that.

R

Reximus

Shard selection on moongate menu!

Then again, I bet they make a boatload on transfer tokens.

D

Darknat

And why not instead of adding more Trammel facets, just add one facet that every server could have access to?

The only problem with that would be that the other facets will get more desolate than they are now of course... but at least that one will have a lot of people.

Or maybe instead of a new facet, making Ilshenar be the facet every server shared... I think that one wouldn't have much problems with it's current rules.

Santa Claus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could try Darkfall, a PvP oriented game with some UO features

Servermerges are difficult as you can see from the other posts and UO was never a supported PvP game anyway.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Theres much more housing problem that you might realize I myself own my own litte town that slowly took me 5 years to get will they give me my town back. Mutiple guilds own multiple homes side by side. Friends own homes next to each other. Some people are stuck in the boomdocks others are close to a gate or road or active location. Others are near dungeons, Others are near oceans so that they can do boat travels, Others have historical locations,Others have lockdowns that old seers put down that cannat be replicated,Others have homes that are guard zone areas while others are near moongates. Others are malls centers and others have long standing homs kept for deceised players, others were given out as rewards.. All this and am not even including luna homes or castles.
This is just dealing with homes could you imagine the other potential consequences?
I have a rather large town.....Roughly...I don't know, 15-20 people (altho logging back on after 6 months seems 5 have vanished) So its not lack of consideration. Luna is an abomination to the concept of what they were trying to do with the homes being there, but I included luna in my evalution....and really its about compromise, I am not saying this be force fed but could be an option I know I'm willing to lose my tight nit town on my Home shard rather than paying for my two accounts, my wife's accounts and my 2 brothers accounts to try and transfer everything we have accumulated over the years to a more populated shard. But also someone did mention community is mostly dead anyway, it really is a one person game these days =\

Some people have characters on more than one shard on the same account. What happens to the "extra characters" if EA closes shards and forcibly transfers characters to other shards? Which characters survive and which ones get deleted so that no account exceeds the maximum number of characters per shard allowed on the account?
This has a simple solution, community decides this is a good idea, community decides what shards to merge and then individuals get to fill out a form stating what chars on which shards they would like to keep, again this is all about compromise cant have your cake and eat it too.

You could try Darkfall, a PvP oriented game with some UO features

Servermerges are difficult as you can see from the other posts and UO was never a supported PvP game anyway.
Really? never? where did darkfall get this idea for a pvp oriented game? Wouldnt happen to be the years before UO:R would it? It failed because majority of people did not like it. Besides where the hell in this thread is there an argument for a pvp oriented game? Edit: I obviously missed the post right above yours O.O (altho its not really a "pvp" advocate post, but yea.)

As an end note, I am not pushing server merging, as again I point out I do not think they could do it in a completely pleasing way. But I am not apposed to it and simply pointing out there are ways to make it "work" if everyone was willing to compromise a little (still no answer for those castle people)

M

Mcflyguy

I completely agree as long as its only the shards you play on so I dont have to move all my stuff, remark all my runes, rebuild my house (if I can build it where it is now),gaurentee I dont lose anything in the process, be positive nothing will go wrong at all, if small things like that were addressed then sure they can close your shard down right now no problem.

They should really think about putting ALL their resources into this as everything else in the game is working perfectly. It would probably make all the little problems seem smaller than they are in the scheme of things.

B

Beer_Cayse

Let's see - by your post you play Europa. So one day EA says "Europa players have 30 days to get clear of the shard because we are closing it down. You will be given one character transfer token to move to Drachenfels or another shard of your choice. Any more than that you need to buy from the store."

You may already play Drach ... what is your ping to there? Would it be a better move for your characters? How about housing, etc. What impact will it have for you as **one** player. Now think how it would affect all the others.

If you do play Drach and it is as good or better ping for you, why not just transfer to there and be done with it?

B

BlackMagus

That is nonsense. The notoriety system specifically designed to lay groundrules for PvP was the very first publish added to the game right after launch. UO has always been about PvP, although a large percentage of the player base always had a different opinion. :)

U

UOKaiser

That is nonsense. The notoriety system specifically designed to lay groundrules for PvP was the very first publish added to the game right after launch. UO has always been about PvP, although a large percentage of the player base always had a different opinion. :)
Actually If I can recall. Richard based it of the Ultima games. A role playing game where pvp was involved but not the main focus of the direction. This of course caused a bit of disagreement between the fellow dev at that time. Which lead the playerbase be confused as well. But basicaly it came down to a online RPG where you had the choice to be anything you want and do anything you want. If you wanted to fish you would fish if you wanted to be a killer you be a killer. As such the focus was not primary PVP or PVM the focus was a free form world where they create it and you would shape it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor