• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Yup, EA-Land is offline! (Update: It is now open!)

G

We're fixing an exploit. Whaaaat? Can it be? Are we REALLy fixing an exploit before letting it sit there for 3 months? YUP!

I don't have an ETA on when it will be back up. I'll keep you posted!

11:31 a.m. - We're opening EA-Land up shortly, but moves have been turned off. We're discussing when/if we're going to turn moves back on.

12:09 pm - EA-Land is now open. Come on back guys! We missed you!

I

Isimsalotta

Thanks Parizad for the update!
Much appreciated!

Good luck on the fix~You can do it!

G

Thanks for letting us know *the suspense was killing me

I

imported_debslee

Thanks Pari - Good luck and keep up the good work!

G

Yes Good job thanks for catching it before u had to wipe all our hard earned money away

G

Ok c'mon own up, who had contraband in their luggage??

Thanks for the update Parizad, its very cool to see that all the hard work you guys put in behind the scenes to monitor potential exploits and naughty simmies doing what they shouldn't has paid off.

Polly

H

HoTDeViL

just came home from real work and saw ea-land is down.

thank you Dev-Team for shutting down and fixing this!!!!
an exploit was the reason why i quit playing TSO.
after i finally had earned 100 mill after 4 years playing tso people found such an exploit and did the same ammount in a few days.
this really p...ed me off to that time and i quit playing for more then a year now.
ea-land brought me back and i love the way the Team is handling such issues now.

2 tumbs up for DEV-Team

Bienchen

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

We're fixing an exploit. Whaaaat? Can it be? Are we REALLy fixing an exploit before letting it sit there for 3 months? YUP!

I don't have an ETA on when it will be back up. I'll keep you posted!

11:31 a.m. - We're opening EA-Land up shortly, but moves have been turned off. We're discussing when/if we're going to turn moves back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm .. Now only a few people will have their fully skilled sims that have trees and rares, etc..

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*wonders if the sims arrived from EJ with their cases packed with simoleans

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

We're discussing when/if we're going to turn moves back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the "IF" that worries me. Thank you for taking an exploit so seriously, though. Kudos.

V

vapd3317

soooo,...what evil force was caught?...sheesh...missed all the commotion over last few days because of work. Now I return and find out an evil force invaded EA land. What happened?...What'd they do?...(dont wanna know how, just want the gory details leading to the public dismemberment of the evil guilty simmies....)

I wanna know the gossip....*pout*

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

soooo,...what evil force was caught?...sheesh...missed all the commotion over last few days because of work. Now I return and find out an evil force invaded EA land. What happened?...What'd they do?...(dont wanna know how, just want the gory details leading to the public dismemberment of the evil guilty simmies....)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it had something to do with the bullet train. Someone probably got to keep simoleans somehow.

G

GrandpaRob

So SOMEBODY had to ruin it for EVERYBODY. Now people will probably just have to wait for the merge.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

See? You weren't here to keep everyone in line. You're not allowed to leave again.

V

vapd3317

LOL...to use your own words....Im all like "eye dee kay !!!"

L

Lynnie

Yeah! It got UGLY in here for a few posts.. I had to hide behind the reply button.. btw... is the coast clear?

V

vapd3317

not sure...I still see alot of sim CSI vans in the area....they are starting to take down the caution tape in some areas tho....

G

<blockquote><hr>

So SOMEBODY had to ruin it for EVERYBODY. Now people will probably just have to wait for the merge.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF it was to do with the bullet train then surely it was a coding error NOT someone deliberately trying to ruin it for others.

G

<blockquote><hr>

not sure...I still see alot of sim CSI vans in the area....they are starting to take down the caution tape in some areas tho....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sims are not being tortured. We did not duct tape them to a tree. We did not rip off their shoes. We are not tickling their feet until they talk. No sirreee, we are not!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sims are not being tortured. We did not duct tape them to a tree. We did not rip off their shoes. We are not tickling their feet until they talk. No sirreee, we are not!

[/ QUOTE ]

No but I do think you are forcing them to eat those stale nasty spinach cookies ....that have been stolen from my computer not allowing me to play TSO.

B

brendagfrie

Awesome!!! I sure don't mind the down time not one little bit if it's to stop exploitation.

Now this is the way those cheats need to be dealt with...swiftly and severely (I hope).

WTG Guys...GREAT JOB!!!!

V

vapd3317

let me have at em.....will lock em in a 6 x 6 cell and pipe in "It's a small world after all" over the speakers.....give me about 3 hours and I'll even have the innocent ones claiming they were guilty.......

G

So will the SIM CSI team be briefing us after they have concluded their investigation? This is my first experience with an "exploit" so I'm super intrigued!

G

<blockquote><hr>

So will the SIM CSI team be briefing us after they have concluded their investigation? This is my first experience with an "exploit" so I'm super intrigued!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its really not all that exciting. A few sims snuck some simoleans in, and we snuck it back out.

Not today, Mr. Sneaky Pants, not today...

G

Exciting or not, it's good to know that ya'll are on to the sneakers! Boo to those who would use the Bullet Train for nefarious deeds! lol

Maybe someone needs to design a sim jail! Or a "bug" that would prevent those naughty sims from earning simoleans in EAL for a few weeks!

C

coyoteee

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Its really not all that exciting. A few sims snuck some simoleans in, and we snuck it back out.

Not today, Mr. Sneaky Pants, not today...

[/ QUOTE ]

So... Mistress Parizad.... I have 2 sims with tickets in hand ready to ride the bullet train. Without naughty simoleans tucked in their bra/jock respectively. (It's a male and a female sim) - will the train proceed out of the station? Or am I stuck waiting?

V

vapd3317

STRIP SEARCH !!!!!!....*runs and places hands in freezer*.....NEXT ?

L

Lynnie

how do ya sneak it in? I thought that it just disappears... I dont know how to make $ go away... so if I come with some... dont tickle me..

I

imported_herk1287

so if i out a move throught ahead of time im gonna have to wait?

G

<blockquote><hr>

So... Mistress Parizad.... I have 2 sims with tickets in hand ready to ride the bullet train. Without naughty simoleans tucked in their bra/jock respectively. (It's a male and a female sim) - will the train proceed out of the station? Or am I stuck waiting?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're all still waiting. Not just you. The world doesn't revolve around you. (But if it did, that would be sweet!)

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So did you guys turn the bullet train off or do we still have a chance of moving tomorrow?

G

<blockquote><hr>

So did you guys turn the bullet train off or do we still have a chance of moving tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the original post:

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure we'll be told when and if moves get turned back on.

Polly

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this just isn't right if they keep it off. Now the sims that got in and have the maxed skills get to rake in the money so they basically get an unfair advantage.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok c'mon own up, who had contraband in their luggage??

Thanks for the update Parizad, its very cool to see that all the hard work you guys put in behind the scenes to monitor potential exploits and naughty simmies doing what they shouldn't has paid off.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
Dammit! They told me there *wouldn't* be a cavity search!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way it's been all along, since the early days of OWP.

OTOH, I am extremely proud, and not afraid to admit shocked also, that this problem was found before it even became well known that anything was happening, much less what was happening. I hope those who were found to be executing the exploit got the (permanent) ax, as in account(s) terminated and IP banned from creating new ones, since we all know the technology exists to do it, and EA has the technology because it's done in other EA run games I play/have played. Zero tolerance along with the newfound promptness of fixing stuff like this, is how we're gonna keep EA Land clean for as long as possible, preferrably to the end of sim time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well this just isn't right if they keep it off. Now the sims that got in and have the maxed skills get to rake in the money so they basically get an unfair advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point, but nor would it be fair to those who have gotten in who didn't exploit to take away whatever they've been able to earn in EA Land and ship them back to the city from where they came. If an airport starts having trouble in the middle of the day, they don't make everybody who made it in on flights prior to the airports' shut down return to the station to be flown home.....the ones who had the affected flights are just SOL. The only real advantage sims who made it in on the bullet train have is being older in days than everybody else, and having more skills. I suppose if they really want to keep things fair, they could just turn off moneymaking period in EA Land until the bullet train is re-established, but somehow I'm betting alot more people will find that unacceptable than those who are currently worried about an unfair advantage. Or, they could just freeze rares brought in inventors IN the inventories so those sims can't bring them out and possibly sell them or use them until the bullet train rides again.....but I don't think that would go over too well either

T

Tristan Lewis

How much could those sims have really made in the 4 hrs the city was up Ill guess way high here 4k? I say everyonelse cant move and now has to wait, then the sims that did this need to be deported. The slap on the hand isnt enough, Lee should of just deleted their sims in the middle of what thay were doing. That way exploiters wont be ruining it for the honest players.

G

<blockquote><hr>

How much could those sims have really made in the 4 hrs the city was up Ill guess way high here 4k? I say everyonelse cant move and now has to wait, then the sims that did this need to be deported. The slap on the hand isnt enough, Lee should of just deleted their sims in the middle of what thay were doing. That way exploiters wont be ruining it for the honest players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you totally, I too hope the sims that were busted doing it however they did it are dealt with swiftly, succintly and in such a way that they'll have to switch ISP's to EVER think about getting back in. I just don't think it would be right to punish those who did get in legitimately because somebody else cheated. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, figuratively speaking. With as swiftly as things were dealt with, I don't think anybody had a chance to 'ruin' it for anybody else, and we don't *know* yet how long the bullet train will have to be derailed...until it's for sure that it's gonna be an extensive period of time, I'm gonna say that even those that got in couldn't have a whole lot of time to gain much of an unfair advantage, any more than those who chose to put a sim in EA Land on day 1 have on any of us.....and that hasn't been spoken out real vehemently against. Let's not get upset till we know what we're getting upset about, is all I'm saying......it's too early to tell whether things will be shut down just for the rest of the day, for a week, a month, or will be permanently cancelled until the merges themselves happen. When we have that info, if it turns out to be negative then I do expect a full scale sim coup.....right now it's just borrowing trouble as I see it. *shrugs*

G

Well, before you all get out the tar and feathers, perhaps you should consider that the programming that is meant to remove simoleons, may have overlooked a spot or two? And that the train is side tracked until the programming is fixed?

After all, they kept telling us that there was nothing we could carry money in, that the program would not find the cash.....guess they know better now.

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt the sims did it on purpose. Probably just one of Maxis's stupid mistakes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well, before you all get out the tar and feathers, perhaps you should consider that the programming that is meant to remove simoleons, may have overlooked a spot or two? And that the train is side tracked until the programming is fixed?

After all, they kept telling us that there was nothing we could carry money in, that the program would not find the cash.....guess they know better now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as far as I am concerned if people hadn't been *trying* to bring the simoleans in, (ie putting them every where they could and praying that the programming loopholes did exist) then it wouldn't have been a problem. If however somebody found the loophole, but then immediately IMed a dev when they landed in EA Land with those hidden simoleans, letting them know that there was indeed this loophole, then they deserve slack, and even accolades....maybe I'm jaded, but somehow I doubt this is the case and people were just testing what they could/could not get away with, and hoping they could unbeknownst to anybody. If that's the case, then yeah EA might have messed up, but shame on them for exploiting a loophole, even if it is one that EA themselves created. Just because to do so is 'human nature' doesn't in any way mean it is right, or should be condoned or accepted as 'normal', IMO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Does this in any way help to eradicate money bots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remains yet to be seen. If it's true that when bells and whistles go off re: the economy, the city will be auto-shut down, then perhaps that would mean a definitive way to eradicate the bots and the botters, since EA has the capability to know who is earning what and where, and can look at the data just before a crash to see what caused it. This might not nail specific people beyond the shadow of a doubt, but I'd certainly think it'd put a red flag on them so EA could watch them closer *Big Brother* style to gain the rest of the proof they need to take actions against the specific people.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Awesome!!! I sure don't mind the down time not one little bit if it's to stop exploitation.

Now this is the way those cheats need to be dealt with...swiftly and severely (I hope).

WTG Guys...GREAT JOB!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP
Don't jump to conclusions - just because a sim might have some money in his kick, it doesn't automatically follow that he/she was trying to cheat.
The devs have been telling us for months that sims would not be allowed to bring money... soooo... it's highly possible, even 'probable' that someone just decided to hop on the train fully expecting EA to strip their money. Hell, I almost did just that myself last night until I decided on one last pet pull.
Lighten up, people - the last thing we need is a lynch mob.