• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Your Favorite|Least Favorite Cities

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, so after seeing Haven go poof and then Magincia shortly thereafter (both cities I loved very much and thought were gorgeous), I began to wonder...

If you could pick any city to save from destruction forever, which would it be? Whats your favorite city?

And...

If you could pick any city to see blown off the map in a giant cloud of blackrock, which would it be? Whats you're least favorite city?

Personally, as much as I love the old Brit bank and Luna, when I was younger my mom and her friends were always in Skara. To this day, my character's call the forest east of that city their home. So I'd save Skara forever, even if it's not the prettiest city.

I'd like to see New Haven blown off the map and redone the way it was before. It's sad that the 'progress' the city was supposed to have shown has halted and I fear it will never look the same as it did before.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well least favorite city is the easiest! I want to have little pieces of luna in my house...

favorite... im going to have to say...Yew...or as soon as my claim to the throne goes through...Brit

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd have to say Skara is my favorite. I don't know why exactly, but It just a great city.

As for my least favorite... that's a tough one. I guess I'd have to say Nu'Jelm. Why? Because it's just useless. That's why. Who goes there anyway?

J

jelinidas

As I was born and raised in the counrtyside near Yew, it would be listed as my favorite. Vesper would be a close second. No real reason why, just always have liked it. Least would be Umbra...that place scares me!! :mf_prop:

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Favorite - Serpent's Hold

When I started playing, my buddy took me to Serpent's Hold and taught me about bods and how to work my little blacksmith. I learned every nook and cranny of the town and spent a LOT of time there.

Least Favorite - Delucia

Same buddy took me and dropped me off in Delucia to learn to mine. No information on the use of pack horses or instruction on how to get OUT. My poor little girl was stuck there for months cause I was too new to figure out the way back home!

S

Shotgun

For my favorite town it would have to be the town i started in when i first came to uo, and that would be Minoc. My first char started out there and i would mine all day long along MT. Kendall just to the east of minoc across the bridge. I rarely went to other towns cuz i was afraid of getting lost (didnt know how to recall so i walked everywhere, or used a moongate). I know Minoc doesnt have all the ammenities of other towns but it was a quiet place to work up my skills and i still use it alot to this day.

My least favorite town is hands down, without a doubt, no question about it,absolutely has to be LUNA. I wish they would just destroy that ****hole(even though i use it alot too) and bring back the little vendor shops in the middle of no where. i remember having seveal runebooks filled with runes to small vendor shops where you could go and find good bargins instead of the extremely overpriced **** in luna. that right i said **** cuz that is what alot of vendors sell in luna. you go to a vendor in luna and see common everyday items on them and the vendor has them as "rares" and charges out the ass for them or they are just complete junk items and they charge 100x over what they are worth. the really sad part is there is always players out there that will buy the crap or in the case of the "rares" they are unaware that the item really isnt "rare" at all.

I would like to see Luna completely wiped off the map and people start using WBB again, it was always laggy there but at least people was more spread out and not all crammed in a small space.

A

Ashlen

Whats your favorite city? Vesper

I was born in Vesper back in Oct 1997 in the lands of Chessy
then later that year in the new and exciting lands of Catskills.
That city is the home of my birth, where I learned to survive against
beast, bears and humans who would take my life and belonging.
But I loved the lands and the city and I still do to this day.
As well as the beast, bears and humans who strive to take my life and belongings
:party: Fel Forever

Whats you're least favorite city? New Haven

For the very fact that I dont like being dumped there when I make
a new character. I like being able to make that choice myself.
I loved starting all my characters in Vesper and being born in the dingy
shabby looking city of what they call "New" Haven isnt my thing.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favorite - Yew. It's been my RP home for years.

Least favorite - Buc's Den, but only because of the serverlines. If it weren't for that, then Luna... but I don't dislike Luna enough to want it gone.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Skara is my favorite city. It's just cozy. :)

Trinsic is my least favorite. No matter how many times I go through that city I am ALWAYS lost! LOL :mf_prop:

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favorite: Skara Brae. It's been my home for over 11 years.

Least favorite: The easy cop out would be Luna but I am going to go out on a limb and say Yew. I despise having to run all over that blasted forest looking for things.

G

GirlPower

I rarely went to other towns cuz i was afraid of getting lost (didnt know how to recall so i walked everywhere, or used a moongate).
First off thats adorable, made me giggle. You probably hate luna so much cus ya walked there from minoc! hehe I wish everyone would go back and populate Britain like the old days. Thats my fave. And I absolutely loathe Vesper! (Sorry Ashlen!)Whats with all the bridges? I have never found anything I was looking for there except the bank and the few buildings right around it! Nope never, not even once, and i have been back and forth to uo since before there even was a Trammel!

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favorite: Luna. I mean what's not to like about a pet res, inn, stable, tailor, blacksmith, provisioner, tinker, carpenter, etc. 2 screens from the moongate? Does the "city" remotely resemble or match any other town in UO, no. I truely think it was poorly designed, but for the lazy factor gota love it. But okay if you want a REAL town, it's skara brae.

Least Favorite: Trinsic. I used to get put there during help stuck when it was random. I used to get so lost without knowing what UOAM was back then. It sucked even worse when you help stucked in as a ghost and were in a hurry to get your corpse back because you were on America Online dialup, your pet has already died and you'll need to buy/tame a new one and you know the rest :x

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember when there was no bank in Skara or am I showing my age?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember when there was no bank in Skara or am I showing my age?
Wasn't there always a bank in Skara?
I thought the only town that didn't have a bank right at release was Cove...

*checks his "Origin's Official Guide to Ultima Online" book*
Huh... I guess the bank used to be a beekeeper.

I was more a Britain and Minoc man back then.

S

Shotgun

yeah Skara would be my next choice for favorite.

im glad i could make you giggle Girlpower :lol:

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favorite: Trinsic. That's where I started playing back in 1998.
Least favorite: Luna. I guess you all know why. It is the ultimate non-RP place, insanely crowded with overprized player vendors. The so-called "Luna Run" is known as the best performance test for your client.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favorite: Trinsic. I have a lot of memories from Trinsic, both good and bad. Both of my original player run places were also within walking distance of Trinsic as well.

Least favorite: Luna. An example: Last week, I went to Luna in hopes of getting a dead pet ressurected. After asking people for help for quite some time, I realized that between at least a dozen people standing around, exactly 0 of those people were actually AT their keyboard.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aww that sucks. Whenever I'm in Luna on either of my tamers I try to rez any pets.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favourite is Ocllo, they never try to mess it up its always a safe place to bank for me.

Least favourite city would be Luna because of the lag

A

Ashlen

Wasn't there always a bank in Skara?
I thought the only town that didn't have a bank right at release was Cove...

*checks his "Origin's Official Guide to Ultima Online" book*
Huh... I guess the bank used to be a beekeeper.

I was more a Britain and Minoc man back then.
Its so nice to see I am not the only one who still
has that book beside their computer :sad3:
Not that it says anything postive about either of us Gildar.

But anyway, in my book that is worn and has a cover over it
because it was used so much. Even tho the book says on the
building "The Honey Pot" (beekeeper) and it still has the beehives
beside it today it was a bank even back in early 1998.

Catskills didnt open up untill I think it was christmas eve 1997
My husband always used Skara Brea and in our book he wrote the
purpose of each building on the pictures, so it said bank, armor, mages,
ranger, stables, prov, healer, Inn... the important ones to him.
And on The Honey Pot it says Bank.
So no I dont remember Skara ever without a bank, unless it was another
shard or in beta. My husband played beta as well but Ive never ask.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its so nice to see I am not the only one who still
has that book beside their computer :sad3:
Not that it says anything postive about either of us Gildar.

But anyway, in my book that is worn and has a cover over it
because it was used so much. Even tho the book says on the
building "The Honey Pot" (beekeeper) and it still has the beehives
beside it today it was a bank even back in early 1998.

Catskills didnt open up untill I think it was christmas eve 1997
My husband always used Skara Brea and in our book he wrote the
purpose of each building on the pictures, so it said bank, armor, mages,
ranger, stables, prov, healer, Inn... the important ones to him.
And on The Honey Pot it says Bank.
So no I dont remember Skara ever without a bank, unless it was another
shard or in beta. My husband played beta as well but Ive never ask.
I started playing Cats a few months after it opened (I WANT to say March but I could be way off base) and when I started, my goal was to place a house on the island town specifically because there was a moongate but no bank and as such, limited population. However, shortly after placing said house, a bank was added and there went the neighborhood as they say. :sad4:

A

Ashlen

Im not disputing your word at all Shh
I didnt travel to Skara that much
I was going off of what my husband wrote in
the orginal book
And Im sure shortly after the bank went in
they slap up the Bounty board as well.

I loved the days of the Bounty Boards
when you could cut off the head of a
Dread Lord, wasnt that great. :gee:

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking of bounty boards. They took that out because its 'too violent', yet we can have dryad's stripping men? Items like the Pearl Necklace? And noises like the Tragic Remains of Travesty? I'm hoping I'm not the only one noticing this, lol!

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Speaking of bounty boards. They took that out because its 'too violent', yet we can have dryad's stripping men? Items like the Pearl Necklace? And noises like the Tragic Remains of Travesty? I'm hoping I'm not the only one noticing this, lol!
Personally, the Satyr's little hand behind the head dance and sounds kinda weirds me out too.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol yea, pelvic thrusting satyrs are weird. reminds me of patrick swayze and chris farley on SNL in that Chippendale's skit.

G

Gwenyth

Back on topic....

My favorite city is Moonglow. That's where I grew up and mainly where my first guild did all our banking.

My least favorite is Vesper. I just get lost crossing all those bridges. For whatever reason, I've never been about to find my way to anything other than the bank and the cemetary in Vesper.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, Vesper was terrible for me to navigate around. Even now during the invasion, I'll yell to someone in Ventrilo "I'm at the Carpenter's shop!" and then I pull up my map and say "Grr the one with the bridges near it."

R

Rathma

Favorite: I'd have to say Skara Brae or Ocllo but I'd say Skara Brae overall, everything is there.. easy nice run from the gate. It's not a huge city and its not too small, but just perfect. And for the fact I use to kill afk LJers there all the time. :gun:

Least Favorite: Umbra, I don't really see a purpose in it. It could just disappear and I'd never know.

M

Moreeg

I have to go with Luna being my least favorite... in coming back recently, it has been a rude awakening to find that 99.9% of decent vendors are now in Luna. I used to have a vendor rune book, and was always looking for new additions to it... I really enjoyed seeing the personal touches people put into their vendor houses. Now its more like a shopping mall, lol. :) But hey, times change...

My favorite town would be Skara. It always was...

A

Ally Oop

I also have a book, 1997 version, worn, written in , curling pages, highlighted, and I still refer to it for buildings and where the dongeons and shrines are. I remember starting out in Moonglow but soon I was living in the Kinship area which is near Skara Brae. I live near there now and when going some place for a moongate that is where I go. The Honey Pot is the bank though I never could find any honey there.

My least favorite is Umbra. Its so dark and dreary, and I have trouble finding things there.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My least favorite is Umbra. Its so dark and dreary, and I have trouble finding things there.
If you're blowing cities up for rubble that's one I'd like to see. Those benches and things are really nice looking.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favorite town? Skara hands down. When I would st up my lil outdoor "cafe" with Lebrun,I would always have it in Skara just down from the bank.

Luna would be the city I would like to see burned to the ground. To me it just never fit into the UO lore that I started with many years ago.

C

CharlieTiberius

Favorite: well im partial to Skara because rp thats charlies birth town.. but my absolute favorite.. Trinsic of course.. i am PGoH after all haha.
Flutter If you ever need to not get lost in Trinny ill be glad to show you around,i know it pretty well :p Just icq me ^.^

Least favorite used to be Luna.now its New Haven... i do hate the fact you are forced to start there.I say BRING BACK OLD HAVEN!!!!

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love Trinsic, and never found it very hard to get around. Vesper was the only town I ever had trouble in. If it weren't for Skara, my favorite towns would be Trinsic, Nujelm and Magincia. I think those towns just have so much detail put into them and they feel warm and inviting (maybe it's all that sandstone)

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nujelm is a nice designed city but there's just a lack of reason to even really use it besides the shimmering now obviously, which you use one screen of it haha.

Other than that the Nujelm island brings and has nothing for a player to really give them a reason to go there. Not to mention it only has a one way moongate and it's way out in nowhere!

chrisjwhite

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kinda like Minoc
Hate Luna

BTW, Skara may need to be destroyed in some future event. (It was destroyed in Ultima VII)

M

Marcus Blackwell

Have to say my favorite city would be Trinsic. Just something about the City always made me pick it as the place my warrior was from when I use to Roleplay. A close second would have to be Skara Brae.

Least favorite would have to be by far Luna.. the lag there is horrible..EA really messed up with allowing houses inside the city wall with so many vendors allowed. Another town that is a least favorite would have to be Cove other then a great place to mine within city walls there's really nothing there.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skara Brae will always be the best to me, I started there on baja when I got started on the game the people who helped me out always were there apprentice level mage going to the lich lord room might be the best time I ever had as a new player right next to faction wars with low skill level characters.

My least favorite is definitely luna but out of the real cities I couldn't say they all have a nice thing about them now but back in the day I would have said trinsic because the color hurt my eyes.

And No, I didn't fall off the radar.

Phantroneous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly i love all the old cities... my main character's were raised in britian, Trinsic, Magincia, and moonglow... hell i pratically lived out of lord british's castle at first.... i was heartbroken when i found magincia destroyed like that... (4yrs back i lead CoM and i lived outa magincia...)

I miss the old days at Britian or Moonglow.... it used to be much more spread out.... now it'a all at one location.... we gotta fix that....

Top 5 cities i hate.... Luna, Umbra, New Haven, Tokuno citie, and Well i guess its only 4 then....

I loved it when the Major vendor places used to be out in the wilderness it gave you a feeling of advendture to go find these places.... instead you get the way overpriced Rich man's Mall (Rich woman's Mall, i didnt forget about you ladies dont get mad at me... last thing i need is an army of ladies Angry with me)

Overall i would say Bomb the newer Cities and go back to the way it once was...

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my Favorite would be skare and brit

my least favorite would have to be Luna and New Heaven

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Changing my favorite cities to Wind and Moonglow and...I guess thats it.

Least favorite is still Luna...and Minoc...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Fav cities would be a toss up between Del and Skara, they both have great memories for me.

I think it would benefit the game greatly if Luna was removed from existence!

Just burn the entire city ( like they did on test Shard) for at least a year or four!

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Favorites: Brit, for the nostalgia factor, the castle, and the former hordes of people that used to hang out there. Luna, because it is a concentrated area of vendors, players, npc shops and a moonglate all clustered together. It does make things easier.

Least Favotire: Umbra, always hated it, it was the city for me that I always got lost in.

PS- I started and lived in Vesper so I somehow was able to get the hang of those dang bridges.

Piper [PGoH]

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it kind of depends on the criteria.

My favorite, visually speaking, is Britain or Serpent's Hold.

My favorite as far as having a lot of fun memories is Trinsic, since PGoH is based out of there. We've had codex tests, patrols, markets, tavern nights, invasions, chases, fights, arrests, and even public executions within Trinsic's walls. Then just a few nights ago, the original founder of PGoH, Borg, came to see us for a couple of hours, and we spent some of that time around the city, listening to the things he had to tell us and running around the old derby course with him. (He runs too fast!) Was fun.

My least favorite as far as looks is Umbra. Awful and gaudy.

Least favorite for other reasons is Luna. I think Britain should be the city with the highest number of players present, and I miss seeing it crowded. Luna is convenient, but it's no fun.

I just despise Malas in general.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skara is still one of my favorites, but I must admit that Zento is beginning to grow on me :)

B

Beleg Megil

Does Heartwood count as a city?
I despise, loathe, detest and hate passionately Heartwood.
Kill it with fire, please. Along with the NPCs.