• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You think your addicted to playing games on the internet

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After yesterday I think my 3 year old niece is more addicted then all of us.
For her 3rd birthday in dec she got a Ipad2. Yesterday she bought it here to play, and watch netflix. She's sitting in the recliner playing poppit. about 5 or so minutes later shes slumped over snoring, but her little finger keeps playing away. 10 minutes later that little fingers still hitting the screen.
What do you think does she have you all beat on your gaming addictions ?

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It reminds of the commercials with the talking babies that trade stocks.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say I'm shocked that a 3 year old was bought a Ipad2!I've a 19month old and a 4 year old and I'ld never buy her anything like that. Although shes obsessed with computers and will happily play on them all day.

I'm still in shock though...

V

Vyal

Who gets a three year old a Ipad? That kid is going to be blind & brain dead by the time shes 10....

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who gets a three year old a Ipad? That kid is going to be blind & brain dead by the time shes 10....
... or, she could be a programmer and/or a developer by the time she's 16. You never really know when they're that young.

It's all about moderation really. Too much of anything can be a bad thing.

Me personally, I'd hesitate to leave a 3 yr old unattended playing with a $600 piece of technology. Both of my kids though, were sitting at the PC playing learning games using the keyboard and mouse at age 4.

V

Vyal

First off Ipads dont create anything but brats never ever a developer...
Second it's bad for your eyes & no one really knows the sorta mental & physical problems using devices such as that could be in the long term.

Everyone who owns one may end up getting some sorta crazy disability in a few years who knows.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I definitely did NOT have an ipad at 3, although I DID have a TI-99-4A when I was 6 and became quite proficient at TI-BASIC (10 CALL CLEAR ftw!) although I didn't have the memory module so the work would then be lost. Later got the ADAM when I was 7 or 8 or so, it's a little blurry which had a cassette drive that COULD store the BASIC programs on that system.

But I was also the kid that tended to take things apart and I doubt that would go well with an ipad.

As for falling asleep while playing, yes, I'm afraid I did that years ago when working on Fishing before Trammel, Power Hour, and 8x8 when it was first popularized and you'd be lucky if you saw any movement in an evening of fishing in the upper 90s. Didn't use UOA or any other program and it was before Last Target, so it was hold down an Fx key with a roll of pennies and click manually each cast.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone who owns one may end up getting some sorta crazy disability in a few years who knows.

You mean "Apple Syndrome." The pedantic sense of holier-than-thou smuggness that most Apple sheeple, sorry, I mean 'innovators' *coughs* *snickers* *coughs*, exude with mind-numbing regularity.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my son's sister in law gave her son a iphone and a pad last year and he is just turning 4. He knows how to use them very well too as does the other 3 kids who are frequent visitors to my home. Let's face it todays child is tech savy way more then our generation.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Welcome to the 21st century. Every generation from here on out will seem like science fiction to the last and cave men to the next.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And will probably be 180 lbs by age 14.

Thats some bad parenting right there. My kids time is limited on all electronics and they actually get out and 'play' and socialize with others.

Based on the anti-social behavior that defines UO - most of the players on UO could stand some real human interaction as well.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've got a reply for that one Kelmo, but that's PROBABLY going to take this thread a bit too far off track :p

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yeah. This thread is likely headed for OT. Just saying. We should all use that forum more.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my son's sister in law gave her son a iphone and a pad last year and he is just turning 4. He knows how to use them very well too as does the other 3 kids who are frequent visitors to my home. Let's face it todays child is tech savy way more then our generation.
next town over from me is equiping all kindergarden kids with ipads for school
:)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I read a while back about schools removing hard copy books in favor of Kindles... wish we had that tech when I was in HS/college... would have been much easier to lug around.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Tech does not necessarily equate to body weight or social behavior... unless you care to document your assumptions.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the OP: Excellent story :)

I started my daughter in front of a computer when she was 2 1/2 years old. Now she would sit on my lap and I would help her :) She recieved her first high end desktop at the age of 4 from Santa. She asked for one for xmas so she recieved one.

She was already playing games like Guild Wars, Warhammer, and UO at the age of 5 by herself. Now I was right beside her on my gaming desktop if she needed help. She actually plays with me sometimes and she plays like a seasoned adult player. This year at the age of 6 she recieved from Santa a Kindle. Had to show her only once on how to work it and download apps she wanted. She is like a pro on it already :) She tossed her other tablet to the side since she has the Kindle.

@Dermott. Actually a few counties in my state have already did away with books and are using tablets they issue to the kids for school.

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I read a while back about schools removing hard copy books in favor of Kindles... wish we had that tech when I was in HS/college... would have been much easier to lug around.
The new high school that they just built here has no textbooks, they issue IPad's to all of the students and the materials are available that way only. They dont even bring paper and such to school, as all notes and assignments are done on the IPad.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tech does not necessarily equate to body weight or social behavior... unless you care to document your assumptions.

Excellent post Kelmo.

I am a health nut. I hit the gym 6 days out of the week. My daughter actually goes with me. She doesn't want to do the daycare thingy in the gym. She wants to excercise with her dad :) Gets in the way from time to time lol but it's ok. She is my little angel. She is in dance and will be doing karate this year :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just feel that pigeon holing folks is wrong. Tech enabled does not equate into lard ass in the basement.

V

Vyal

Yeah. This thread is likely headed for OT. Just saying. We should all use that forum more.

Kelmo im looking to fight you on Siege please come over and show your skills...
I will make it an event & record and post it on youtube. Thanks Scrub...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And will probably be 180 lbs by age 14.

Thats some bad parenting right there. My kids time is limited on all electronics and they actually get out and 'play' and socialize with others.

Based on the anti-social behavior that defines UO - most of the players on UO could stand some real human interaction as well.
What??? Real human interaction??? How DARE you suggest such an evil EVIL thing!! I mean by doing such evil things we are being exposed to things like learning to cooperate with others or even worse we would learn how to SHARE!!! Damn you for suggesting such an evil thing!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Excellent post Kelmo.

I am a health nut. I hit the gym 6 days out of the week. My daughter actually goes with me. She doesn't want to do the daycare thingy in the gym. She wants to excercise with her dad :) Gets in the way from time to time lol but it's ok. She is my little angel. She is in dance and will be doing karate this year :)
Absolutely agree! Tech in no ways defines ones body weight or social behavior; regardless even of how much time is spent with it. I know people who spend a fair amount of time on computers and are quite fit and very social.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't mean to imply that is all she does 24/7. I was implying that while she was sleeping she was still tapping the screen with her finger playing in her sleep. being addicted
Why a Ipad2 for a 3 year old ?
Why not when the child as been playing with her uncles Ipad since shes been a year and a half. She knows the do's and the not to do's to be able to play with it.
She is very active takes dance, ballet, tap etc. Plays with her older cousins
who are 6 years old. She is very social she has no issues with sharing,and taking turns like her two 6 year old cousins do.
The Ipad2 is not pushed on her to play with it, its there when she chooses to play on it. She is more into playing with her toys, and playing the online starwars with her dad for an hour or 2 a night.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't mean to imply that is all she does 24/7. I was implying that while she was sleeping she was still tapping the screen with her finger playing in her sleep. being addicted
Why a Ipad2 for a 3 year old ?
Why not when the child as been playing with her uncles Ipad since shes been a year and a half. She knows the do's and the not to do's to be able to play with it.
She is very active takes dance, ballet, tap etc. Plays with her older cousins
who are 6 years old. She is very social she has no issues with sharing,and taking turns like her two 6 year old cousins do.
The Ipad2 is not pushed on her to play with it, its there when she chooses to play on it. She is more into playing with her toys, and playing the online starwars with her dad for an hour or 2 a night.
I think you can certainly ignore all the trolls who are trying to make false associations between tech and health/social interactions, etc.

But given what you're saying I would not say she is addicted.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I said was that I'm shocked a toddler has been given a expensive peice of tech as a toy. I really wish I had that much money to buy things with, although I wouldnt buy my children anything like that (Mostly becuase its an Apple and I like to use real computers/phones/tablets). I have to admit though my 4 year old plays on her mothers Ipod all the time (given the chance) shes even a budding movie director with the amount of videos she takes (and takes them well at that). What really irks me however is that my 4 year old knows how to use the Ipod... I dont. Especially considering I am very familur with computers, the ipods just pass me by.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you think does she have you all beat on your gaming addictions ?
She's got me beat by just a bit, but I think that might be because my ADD. I was sitting in the living room playing Assassins Creed the other night and found myself getting antsy because I was only doing one thing at a time.

Typically I have at least 3 things going at once. I've been known to sit there with the TV on watching a movie while playing a game online on my laptop with one hand and playing a game on my phone or iPad with the other.

I think I might need an intervention.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new high school that they just built here has no textbooks, they issue IPad's to all of the students and the materials are available that way only. They dont even bring paper and such to school, as all notes and assignments are done on the IPad.

Can they write?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can they write?
Given that one should have learned how to write long before High School I think it's safe to say yes. If for some reason they can't that's what remedial classes are for.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All I said was that I'm shocked a toddler has been given a expensive peice of tech as a toy. I really wish I had that much money to buy things with, although I wouldnt buy my children anything like that (Mostly becuase its an Apple and I like to use real computers/phones/tablets). I have to admit though my 4 year old plays on her mothers Ipod all the time (given the chance) shes even a budding movie director with the amount of videos she takes (and takes them well at that). What really irks me however is that my 4 year old knows how to use the Ipod... I dont. Especially considering I am very familur with computers, the ipods just pass me by.
Wasn't directed at you thats why I didn't quote you. Honestly I was shocked to at first. Knowing it wasn't me who had to put out the money Of course the shock wore off quickly. :thumbup:
I don't want to learn to use anything else that I can't play UO on. I use to play final fantasy its on the wii now. I don't have the time to play it so I never went and bought it to learn how to use the wii. When my mom asks me to shut the wii off I tell her I don't know how.Then my mom has to yell upstairs wake my sister up to come down, and turn it off, because her daughter left it on. Ya I know how hard is it to push a button to shut it off that I could do, but the part of going threw some menu to set it back to the tv,and cable is what I don't care to learn. You think it would sink into my sister's head to make sure the wii is off for the night. um no. You think my mom would stop asking me to shut the wii off has if some miracle happened since the last time she asked me.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't directed at you thats why I didn't quote you. Honestly I was shocked to at first. Knowing it wasn't me who had to put out the money Of course the shock wore off quickly. :thumbup:
I don't want to learn to use anything else that I can't play UO on. I use to play final fantasy its on the wii now. I don't have the time to play it so I never went and bought it to learn how to use the wii. When my mom asks me to shut the wii off I tell her I don't know how.Then my mom has to yell upstairs wake my sister up to come down, and turn it off, because her daughter left it on. Ya I know how hard is it to push a button to shut it off that I could do, but the part of going threw some menu to set it back to the tv,and cable is what I don't care to learn. You think it would sink into my sister's head to make sure the wii is off for the night. um no. You think my mom would stop asking me to shut the wii off has if some miracle happened since the last time she asked me.

Hehe. Just hold down the power button on a wii remote and it will turn off :) It will go from green light on the Wii to a red light.