• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You must wait a few moments to use another skill

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a magical way of getting rid of the "You must wait a few moments to use another skill" message? It has said this on any skill attempted to use for about a week. This only happens on one character on the 2d client.
My systems are pretty trimmed. I use uoassist, uoam and the 2d client. No "active" anti-virus software and run a lean 100-130 Megs of RAM on system startup with roughtly 20 processes. I check the system with online anti-virus scanners, hijack this, ccleaner, and windows system tools to check extra dll's and processes, along with other process lists incase something is hiding.

expand image

expand image

Does anyone have a solution that isn't listed below.
1. Cleared the uo "profile" folder.
2. Tried it on a different computer (then repeated step 1)
3. Killed the character
4. Change facets (felucca, trammel, malas, tokuno)
5. Tried using macro's instead of clicking the blue gem.
6. Waited for server down tried again.
7. Went through the latest client patch.
8. Paged a GM and was redirected to http://uo.com/mailBug.html
9. Submitted a bug to http://uo.com/mailBug.html
10. Created this stratics thread.
11. An yes I have waited in the client for over 10 minutes without using a skill and tried again.

My Next steps are -
1. Calling this number 1-866-543-5435 (found on the mailbug website). (have to do it after 9pm pst when I have free minutes on my phone)
2. Bugging the shards new EM after passing over some bottles of ale.
3. re-install the client on two systems.
4. Send the question to five on friday via the feedback form.
5. Attempt to use the KR client.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am private messaging you what I think will fix the issue.
You're number One. It worked like a charm!!! I am glad the fix was done via a "fluke" with the in-game mechanics!

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
better then tring to use the hide skill to run from people and it keep saying your to busy at the moment to do the skill

N

neeferio

I'm stuck with this bug now also... "you must wait a few moments to use another skill".

Can I get a pm how to fix this too? lol

Tried most the things the above poster tried also.

Thanks if so!

N

neeferio

I tried making a spoon and it didn't work, also tried making a map and nothing :/

*EDIT*
Gm finally responded and fixed it. Not sure what he did but he said try it now and it worked.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoa, that's like a 4 year old post...
I will pm u the fix that would have worked then.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TheDrAJ has tested the solution that have worked back then, it no longer works. so he'll be paging for a GM. I'll pm you anyways to try (in the off chance that it'll save you some GM queue waiting)

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
TheDrAJ has tested the solution that have worked back then, it no longer works. so he'll be paging for a GM. I'll pm you anyways to try (in the off chance that it'll save you some GM queue waiting)
I have used honoring a target to get this fixed in the past.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I recall correctly the fix was some skill exploit bug, which was past the time of my memories. Using the tinker skill to create a spoon sounds about right. But now a days there is no spoon. The idea is to manipulate your skill timer. Honor system, compassion runs (brides or nobles) anything that triggers the skill outside of the skill menu, IE the old exploits of using a tinker kit, scribes pen to bypass the skill gem. Outside of bugging the system to repair your character paging a GM and waiting for a response is the best option I can offer.

I apologize I don't have the original private message as it was before the great stratics migration. If the imported_lyconis account still existed the probably since patched answer may be in there.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you end up paging a GM use the phrase 'my skill timer is stuck'. That seems to have gotten a helpful response in the past.

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would there be recent responses to a post made in Feb 12, 2009 ??
1) the person may not be around
2) there have been several patches and upgrades that posting to this issue
would not be useful any longer

its close to being 4 yrs old??? can this post not just rest in peace?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Perhaps if the problem didn't still exist then folk wouldn't feel the need to bring it up again and again.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Because someone really did encounter the same problem recently:

Is there a way to fix this?
Whoa, that's like a 4 year old post...
I will pm u the fix that would have worked then.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I recall correctly the fix was some skill exploit bug, which was past the time of my memories. Using the tinker skill to create a spoon sounds about right. But now a days there is no spoon. The idea is to manipulate your skill timer. Honor system, compassion runs (brides or nobles) anything that triggers the skill outside of the skill menu, IE the old exploits of using a tinker kit, scribes pen to bypass the skill gem. Outside of bugging the system to repair your character paging a GM and waiting for a response is the best option I can offer.

I apologize I don't have the original private message as it was before the great stratics migration. If the imported_lyconis account still existed the probably since patched answer may be in there.
Yup, you are absolutely correct. That's why JC pm'd you the fix instead of posting. If I didn't see that he'd already helped you fix it back then, I would sent a pm too, rather than posting it :D

fram-man

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Im having this issue - quite annoying, and no GM response after hours of waiting on a page.
I'd love a PM on how I might fix it besides all the other things like making spoons, ink pen, honor, different computer, different client, log in other char...

Thanks!

Yup, you are absolutely correct. That's why JC pm'd you the fix instead of posting. If I didn't see that he'd already helped you fix it back then, I would sent a pm too, rather than posting it :D
I am private messaging you what I think will fix the issue.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im having this issue - quite annoying, and no GM response after hours of waiting on a page.
I'd love a PM on how I might fix it besides all the other things like making spoons, ink pen, honor, different computer, different client, log in other char...

Thanks!
Some of the posts might not be clear, currently there is no fix that you the player can do. Petra's recommendation of paging and simply putting in "my skill timer is stuck" is going to be your best bet.

The exploit used to reset your skill timer by invoking the skill timer outside of using a skill directly, e.g. using a tool or virtue to trigger the timer. I don't believe stating this breaks the rules of conduct on this board as the exploit is no longer viable which is why it was PM'ed in the first place.

fram-man

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the response/message - also for some reason the client just locked up and after words it was working - at least some time after the lock up it was working... I had shut down the client and tried other computers and 3d - odd..
Still no GM had showed up -- they take forever I guess

Some of the posts might not be clear, currently there is no fix that you the player can do. Petra's recommendation of paging and simply putting in "my skill timer is stuck" is going to be your best bet.

The exploit used to reset your skill timer by invoking the skill timer outside of using a skill directly, e.g. using a tool or virtue to trigger the timer. I don't believe stating this breaks the rules of conduct on this board as the exploit is no longer viable which is why it was PM'ed in the first place.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got the same issue on one of my chars now. It started yesterday for no reason while I was training provoking. It suddenly just started to say 'You must wait a moment to use another skill'...

Any fix, or just wait for GM? Been waiting 12 - 13 hrs so far... :-(

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Try opening (or closing and opening) your character. This has happened to me a few times lately. I use EC client with no mods. How about you, Mandrake?

Yes I know this is an old thread, but it seems pertinent today.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use CC. I tried most of the tricks I could come up with - with no luck. Restarting, dying, gain other skills, change skills up and down, try every skill with a dot on in skill list. Tried opening scriebe pen, make tinker stuff, Changed facets etc...

I left a GM call, where I phrased it like this; My skill timer is stuck. Everytime I try to use a skill, i get the message 'You must wait a moment to use another skill.'

I let the char stay logged in at luna bank when I went to bed. When I got back, I had a GM note - where he said it was sent to futher invetigation. BUT he had fixed my char - so now I can use skills again :)

This is a old bug that seems to have come back - so if you get the problem, do as I did and leave a call while your char is logged in. That way the GM can look at it and fix it. Rembember to use the phrase that the skill timer is stuck. That way the GM know where to look.

Took me over 12 hrs waiting for GM before I went to bed...so how long time it took for him to get there - idk... But its fixed at least!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This happened to 2 chars of mine recently... Both came out of it after several client logs... I was also told to say "I wish to lock this down, and target your healthbar" would get rid of it... Didn't have a chance to try it before both those chars began functioning normally again....

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you prevent the server from disconnection you, if you stay idle for too long? (I think it is 15 min)
With UO Assist - show incoming names, it wont time out because it always coming in new players on screen. No trick, just plain old fashion way.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bummer - it happend again.... On another toon. This time I know exactly what i did to get it stuck. I was doing new player quests in haven for tracking and magery... I hit tracking a bit too fast, before I was finished casting spell - and 'Wham'.... You must wait a few moments to use another skill. This toon aint a hr old either... grr...

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same boat now. Still no way other than paging a GM?

Sorry for the resurrection.
I had this before and fixed it somehow, but I have been unable to recently. What I usually do is a page a GM and leave my character logged in at Luna bank. After awhile, the GMs come fix it.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same boat now. Still no way other than paging a GM?

Sorry for the resurrection.
Only a GM can fix it. Be sure to say that your 'Skill timer is stuck, and need to be reset'.

I heard someone said it helped to do a char copy to tc - you can try that...if not its only GM...

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So many hours have passed now and no GM response. I don't want to wait all day long for a GM to show up. This is so frustrating.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I got the same problem. Kinda unbelievable. Paged a GM, but I don't have UOAssist, I hope they can help me even when my char gets kicked :/

kimhoward

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Asked a GM who came to fix me. He said just die. Have pet or monster kill you. I tried on several occasions and it has always worked for me.

Darko

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I try all method , still not working ...
Only have to page a GM ?

Last edited:

Rhett Eiree

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I started having this problem with my poisoner last night. I tried to use Honor this morning and received the message "You can't poison that!" Yes, that's right. I invoked Honor and targeted a Mongbat and got the message that I couldn't poison it. Same result with a Rat and a Chicken (bored waiting for a GM)). Crafting items did not fix the problem either...

Posted mostly for your entertainment and to let others know that this bug still exists.

Doesn't it seem like there should be an easier and quicker way to get character bugs fixed? How about a Help option: "Check my character for known bugs." An option to check pets for known bugs would also be helpful; even if there isn't a fix other than paging a GM.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's pretty silly that the Log Out option doesn't clear all states. The simple fact that you can log out and in , in Wraith Form, but not in Animal forms shows the lazy coding that's used.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What amuses me is that this was a problem in Feb 2009 and still regularly happens in April of 2018 :)