• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

You may not obtain more than one of this item

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Venting here.
I completed the long long quest chain that ends in killing the night terror.
I went back to Linzrom and was told "You may not obtain more than one of this item"
... and then he said "I'm sorry, I have nothing for you at this time."

So: ALL THAT WORK FOR NOTHING, I did not get the reward, because there is a BUG in UO.

==> This is the first time I had attempted the quest chain, so I did not already have the book that is the reward.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and it will be hard to get a group together to kill the night terror again. The "heart" has a timer with 24 hours on it, and it will expire before I can do all the quests all over again.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't feel like rage-quitting often, but this is one of those times. What the ----.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings,

So sorry to hear that J.E. Tamer. It would be good to get more information to help others that have not did the quest. Also we might be able see if the quest issue is related to something else.

Question 1 -
What is the name of the quest chain your doing.

Question 2 -
Did you complete the quest with one of your other characters on the same account?

Question 3 -
Perhaps abandon all the other quest and start this one again.

May you have good fortune in the battles to come.
Frederick
Leoric

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was gonna ask how the heck did you kill the night terror, then I saw you had a group. I hope they can fix this for you. Maybe page a GM and show him the heart?

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Did you purchase the quest reward at some point therefore you would have more than one of said item?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FYI: Be sure that the person who is currently on the quest, open the body and picks up the heart. I tried to give it to someone and I can't remember if it poofed or would not let them complete the quest. I've never tried to go back and kill another alone yet. I've not completed it myself. Done everything but turned in the heart.

Linzrom The Guard Captain – Ultima Online

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, I thought that quest was tied to an event arc so never bothered with it. What exactly is the reward? Ie the 'final book'? Is it just deco or is it something worth actually having?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Parts of those quests lead to getting a fair bow or glave or something if I recall...

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finley Grant, please list thy skills, stats, equipment, and equipment properties for soloing the night terror.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Finley Grant, please list thy skills, stats, equipment, and equipment properties for soloing the night terror.
  1. Log in as Mesanna.
  2. Go to the ruined village.
  3. Type .kill and target a Night Terror.
  4. Loot.
Alternatively,
  1. Log in as Mesanna.
  2. Create 'a heart of the Night Terror' in your pack.
:gee::devil:

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Dot_Warner, that sounds like the email that I received from Kyronix regarding the new Doom darkfathers battle:
1. Log in as Kyronix.
2. Go to Doom.
3. Your health will never dip below maximum.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(OFF TOPIC)

OOC:
Dear Broadsword Ultima Online Team,
Here is my feedback for the Pub 96 changes to the Doom gauntlet:

The "pull" by darkfathers has come to Baja, and it is horrible.
Every three seconds (this is literal, not an exaggeration), you get pulled to the darkfather.
Hidden? Get revealed.
Get targeted by the excessive amounts of spawn around the darkfather.
Die.
Your body gets looted. You lose your bandages, because you can't later find the body of the lich lord that looted you among the scores of dead spawn littering the floor.
Someone in your party says, "This isn't fun, I'm leaving."
You say "Take me with you."
A couple of hours in the gauntlet, and one person in your party got a Ring of the Elements. No one has seen any of the new things. No one got any recipes, which is what you're looking for.

There's a difference between the immersive "Wow, this is a really dangerous place" and the fiction-breaking "There's a Dev who's messing with us." The Doom gauntlet, as it is now, is too far on the "messing" side.

How to fix this:
o Remove the looting ability of monsters in the gauntlet. Having your body looted isn't fun, ever. Why was a feature added to the game that isn't fun, ever?
- OR make nonlootable items to hold Reagents and Bandages, in the same way that quivers are nonlootable and hold arrows.

o Remove the "Pull" ability of the darkfather entirely,
- OR significantly tone it down to, maybe, the darkfather can "pull" one character only once every forty seconds.

o Reduce the spawn that the darkfather summons. I thought that the amount prior to Pub 96 was just right. I also thought the throwing bones feature was fun, as opposed to the "instantly spawn a huge number of monsters without warning periodically."

o Remove "blood elemental" from the list of spawn that the darkfather can summon.

While you're fixing that, also fix:
o Reduce the Fleshrenderer invulnerability, to, perhaps, going invulnerable for one second, every thirty seconds. The way it is now, is way too much.
- OR just remove the "invulnerability" entirely.

o Some of the teleport tiles that go into the rooms are invisible now (Classic Client). Make 'em visible again.

o Back in the Baja Doom Train heyday, just about everyone got one drop per hour, except the thrower who got two. Please return the drop rate to that previous formula. Just add the new items to the list of things that drop.

o 20 darkfather blood was nice. 5+3+2 is less nice. Please return to 20, and divide evenly.

o I wish: a possibility of getting Gauntlet items in Doom outside the gauntlet, especially recipes.

Sincerely,
James (Baja)

==============================================================
(RESPONSE)

Hello James,

Thanks for the feedback! To answer a couple of your points...

I'm not sure why the "loot" feature was added, it was implemented by the original team almost 20 years ago! There are some ways to combat this. I usually get around it by never carrying my bandages in a single stack, so I'll always have extra should a monster loot it. If I lose my corpse an undertaker's staff is especially helpful in recovering it. It's certainly not fun getting looted, but I think restricting features in a game that aren't "fun" would leave us a world that offers no risk and ultimately would become pretty dull. There wouldn't be any death, you'd never be able to get PK'd, equipment would never wear out, and resources would be available en masse without having to spend time harvesting them. While it is easy to classify these features as "not fun" and steps have been taken over the years to cut down on the tedium and pain of experiencing them, I think the original intent of the builders of Ultima Online was to create a virtual world that simulates the real world, somewhere along the lines of you can't have happiness without sadness sort of thing. We try to remain true to the original creator's design philosophy in that regard.

We've adjusted the Darkfather's spawning ability over the testing phase in terms of its frequency. That AI also spawns monsters with a fraction of the normal stats they usually have and experience and observations have shown its fairly easy to one shot them. Part of the tactical decision of heading into the gauntlet is how to deal with this ability.

The drop rate for the gauntlet is unchanged from where it was before Pub 96. We've significantly increased the chances of getting a desirable legacy item & the new items & recipes from the drop list. The mechanic still functions the same way it always has, as the more you kill the more likely you are to get a drop - eventually reaching the point its guaranteed. Remember too that players are also awarded credit for tanking and healing, so they are getting on the top attacker list as well, whereas in the past that list was dominated by damage only.

The dark father blood was reduced because after a single day an individual had accumulated nearly 1000 blood. We have to be mindful of resource saturation, especially within a short period of time.

There's always a learning curve in experiencing new content and we try to introduce ways that challenge ways that players usually destroy most of what gets thrown at them, as the majority of legacy bosses in UO have no chance of fighting back against a group of players. Afterall, spamming Armor Ignore, Enemy of One and never watching my health drop below 100% isn't very challenging. Saying "all kill" and spamming greater heal isn't either, nor is running around in circles plinking arrows at a creature that has no chance at striking back. Hopefully you'll find some excitement in experimenting with new methods and tactics to overcome the new challenges presented in the Gauntlet.

Thanks again for the e-mail and have a great day!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't see a lot doing doom, just the multi account/boxing users, one using bard for discord/heals/buffs and 4 whirlwind samps/vamps. they will get plenty of blood. this is what the game is turning into. any new/returning/casual player may not find peeps to do because there is no need to work with others. ive soloed df many times but I had him disappear a few times when redlined. not sure if intended lol, maybe timer on him.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
(OFF TOPIC)

OOC:
Dear Broadsword Ultima Online Team,
Here is my feedback for the Pub 96 changes to the Doom gauntlet:

The "pull" by darkfathers has come to Baja, and it is horrible.
Every three seconds (this is literal, not an exaggeration), you get pulled to the darkfather.
Hidden? Get revealed.
Get targeted by the excessive amounts of spawn around the darkfather.
Die.
Your body gets looted. You lose your bandages, because you can't later find the body of the lich lord that looted you among the scores of dead spawn littering the floor.
Someone in your party says, "This isn't fun, I'm leaving."
You say "Take me with you."
A couple of hours in the gauntlet, and one person in your party got a Ring of the Elements. No one has seen any of the new things. No one got any recipes, which is what you're looking for.

There's a difference between the immersive "Wow, this is a really dangerous place" and the fiction-breaking "There's a Dev who's messing with us." The Doom gauntlet, as it is now, is too far on the "messing" side.

How to fix this:
o Remove the looting ability of monsters in the gauntlet. Having your body looted isn't fun, ever. Why was a feature added to the game that isn't fun, ever?
- OR make nonlootable items to hold Reagents and Bandages, in the same way that quivers are nonlootable and hold arrows.

o Remove the "Pull" ability of the darkfather entirely,
- OR significantly tone it down to, maybe, the darkfather can "pull" one character only once every forty seconds.

o Reduce the spawn that the darkfather summons. I thought that the amount prior to Pub 96 was just right. I also thought the throwing bones feature was fun, as opposed to the "instantly spawn a huge number of monsters without warning periodically."

o Remove "blood elemental" from the list of spawn that the darkfather can summon.

While you're fixing that, also fix:
o Reduce the Fleshrenderer invulnerability, to, perhaps, going invulnerable for one second, every thirty seconds. The way it is now, is way too much.
- OR just remove the "invulnerability" entirely.

o Some of the teleport tiles that go into the rooms are invisible now (Classic Client). Make 'em visible again.

o Back in the Baja Doom Train heyday, just about everyone got one drop per hour, except the thrower who got two. Please return the drop rate to that previous formula. Just add the new items to the list of things that drop.

o 20 darkfather blood was nice. 5+3+2 is less nice. Please return to 20, and divide evenly.

o I wish: a possibility of getting Gauntlet items in Doom outside the gauntlet, especially recipes.

Sincerely,
James (Baja)

==============================================================
(RESPONSE)

Hello James,

Thanks for the feedback! To answer a couple of your points...

I'm not sure why the "loot" feature was added, it was implemented by the original team almost 20 years ago! There are some ways to combat this. I usually get around it by never carrying my bandages in a single stack, so I'll always have extra should a monster loot it. If I lose my corpse an undertaker's staff is especially helpful in recovering it. It's certainly not fun getting looted, but I think restricting features in a game that aren't "fun" would leave us a world that offers no risk and ultimately would become pretty dull. There wouldn't be any death, you'd never be able to get PK'd, equipment would never wear out, and resources would be available en masse without having to spend time harvesting them. While it is easy to classify these features as "not fun" and steps have been taken over the years to cut down on the tedium and pain of experiencing them, I think the original intent of the builders of Ultima Online was to create a virtual world that simulates the real world, somewhere along the lines of you can't have happiness without sadness sort of thing. We try to remain true to the original creator's design philosophy in that regard.

We've adjusted the Darkfather's spawning ability over the testing phase in terms of its frequency. That AI also spawns monsters with a fraction of the normal stats they usually have and experience and observations have shown its fairly easy to one shot them. Part of the tactical decision of heading into the gauntlet is how to deal with this ability.

The drop rate for the gauntlet is unchanged from where it was before Pub 96. We've significantly increased the chances of getting a desirable legacy item & the new items & recipes from the drop list. The mechanic still functions the same way it always has, as the more you kill the more likely you are to get a drop - eventually reaching the point its guaranteed. Remember too that players are also awarded credit for tanking and healing, so they are getting on the top attacker list as well, whereas in the past that list was dominated by damage only.

The dark father blood was reduced because after a single day an individual had accumulated nearly 1000 blood. We have to be mindful of resource saturation, especially within a short period of time.

There's always a learning curve in experiencing new content and we try to introduce ways that challenge ways that players usually destroy most of what gets thrown at them, as the majority of legacy bosses in UO have no chance of fighting back against a group of players. Afterall, spamming Armor Ignore, Enemy of One and never watching my health drop below 100% isn't very challenging. Saying "all kill" and spamming greater heal isn't either, nor is running around in circles plinking arrows at a creature that has no chance at striking back. Hopefully you'll find some excitement in experimenting with new methods and tactics to overcome the new challenges presented in the Gauntlet.

Thanks again for the e-mail and have a great day!
My suggestion... do what I do. Quit trying to play this garbage. Boycott Doom.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We took a follow-up trip to Doom afterward.
The "pull" was significantly reduced, which was good.

We could not kill the darkfathers. There were two. We would get one apart from the other for a less lopsided battle. Every time we did, it would in short order teleport back to the middle, where there was an excess of spawn from both darkfathers. ... and the one that we'd been fighting would then undergo intense health regeneration (it looked akin to "confidence").
After a couple of hours, we gave up. Whirlwinding the darkfathers' summoned spawn did not appear to result in getting "Doom drops."

How to fix this:
One or more of:
o Remove the "teleport back to center" ability of the darkfathers.
o Remove the confidence-like health regeneration of the darkfathers
o Let killing the summoned spawn count toward getting "Doom drops"
o re-evaluate the Doom darkfathers battle in terms of who is able to do it. If only whirlwinding elite super sampires can contribute to success, then our mixed group of 11:00 a.m. Sunday morning hopefuls isn't going to want to go, because they're not all whirlwinding elite super sampires.

==
...and now I have hijacked my own thread. I still want:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I used a Paladin. So chiv 4/6 Casting. Healing Parry.
They are hard but if they didn make them more hard it was doable. I can try tonight if i find some Points in healing. I Stoned it Off and I have no clue where I put it

If you want to See my suit meet me in ATL later today.
Basically plate suit. 150hp 170 stam 100ish Mana. 45lmc 100mana Leech longsword

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Gauntlet can be soloed with sampires or Dragoons.

You need to separate both DF if 2 spawn, if you have a mage in the group run it to the bottom rooms and Invis, if its not pulled enough from the centre, it will walk around near the rooms and not teleport back to the middle, allowing you to engage the other one with no problems.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
skills 120 chiv tac ana heal swords parry

plate suit 150 HP 170 stam 120 mana as weapon i use longswords like this:
UOSA_2017-04-26_18-10-26.png

UOSA_2017-04-26_18-05-45.png

its still a bit painful tho without resist to keep the mana up as there is no slayer (at least i dont know about one) and the ******* drains you