• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Yet another former mage question

A

Anyer

I have an old school mage (120 mage, med, eval, resist, wrestle with 100 inscription) and I have 120 spirit speak, necro and spellweave on an alternate character I can swap out if needed. What is the current in vogue template to use primarily for solo pvm? I am not really looking to do champs, so pvp is not a huge concern. Mainly looking for opinions on a fun and viable template to explore some of the new content.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Anyer

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
ABC archer and sampire are very popular for PvM, at the moment. Using your above mentioned skills, however, I'd recommend your standard necro/mage or necro/mage/weaver build:

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 SS
120 Weaving/120 resist
120 Necro

If you do not have 720 points at your disposal, you can safely drop weaving to 115 and/or necro to 105. Soustone between weaving and resist, depending on what you're fighting. This template, in my view, will prove more valuable in PvM encounters than your mage/wrestle/scribe build.

Happy hunting. :)

A

Anyer

Thank you for the reply!! I have only played pure mages before, is there a good place for general information on tactics for the necro mage or the necro/sw mage? Thanks again. Oh and I do have 720 skill points to use.

Anyer

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Think of necromancy as an enhancement to your current build - used to make your mage spells more effective. Think of some of the benefits:

wraith form - as long as you're damaging monsters with your spells, you'll have a virtually endless supply of mana

evil omen + poison - bumps your poison up to deadly, no poisoning skill required

wither - close range, cold-damaging, area of effect spell; owns small mobs

corpse skin - makes your fire and poison spells do more damage

poison strike - an actual offensive spell that does poison damage

summon familiar - shadow wisp for extra mana, horde minion for an insta-packy

animate dead - can animate up to 3 dead creatures, but doesn't require pet slots; in other words, you can have 2 EVs, 3 undead creatures, and a mount.

spirit speak - heals through poison

Necro/mages work well with spellweaving, too. In wraith form, you can cast essence of wind and word of death virtually infinitely. One thing that is different about necro/mage and a weaver/necro/mage is casting speed: top speed for necro/mage is 2/6, top for weaver is 4/6.

I'm sure other folks have their own tactics, too. Anyone?

R

RichDC

evil omen + poison - bumps your poison up to deadly, no poisoning skill required
Not quite true, Evil omen adds 25% damage to the next spell...so it will increase curse durations by 25%. The poison will be bumped by 1level. If the target has 120resist it will guarantee that the poison sticks.

Basically, you play a necro weaver the same as you play a pure mage. You just have a few more spells to paly with. Your main spells are really only going to be,

Copse skin(pretty much first of)
exp
Fs
Fs
Fs...you get the idea :)

The forms are for varying situations, Mobs with little or no mana pool will not leech any mana back from Wraith form(above posters info is correct though) so Lich form will regen your mana faster. Both these forms leave you on foot.

Vamp form will make you immune to all but the most lethal of poisons and will give you increased MR(not as much as Lich) and Stam regen.

Dark wolfs allow you to tame and control any Wolf type creature(including bake kitsunes but not Cu's). Wisp, as above. Hoarde minions pick up stuff.

The spell weaving is your backup healing,

Attunement absorbs physical damage recieved.
Gift of renewal heals in small amounts every 2seconds.
Gift of life will insta res you at half health, where you die though.
Natures furies are lill ******* ev's...shorter duration and smaller damage but you can have 5!!!
Arcane empowerment boosts SDI for the duration
Word of death...Deals MASSIVE amounts of damage, base is 300 can be increased with SDI and enhancing spells (arcane empowerment and evil omen for example).
Summon fey/imps, summons faeries or imps.
Wildfire, does area based(circle dependent) fire damage,
Reaper form, boost to SDI at the expense of fire resist and movement speed

All of the spells are intensified by the Circle you can recieve, most shards have a circle at brit bank allowing you to go to level 6.(the highest)

Other spells you probably will never use in weaving and necro.

Horrific beast form, pointless gives mad HPR but you cannot cast any other spells.
Blood oath, good for PVP not so PvM reflects damage dealt back on its attacker.
Immolating weapon, adds fire damage to your melee attacks.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

A

Anyer

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. So lack of wrestling is not a big deal with either template?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
If you're just looking to PvM, wrestling is really not that important. Just make sure you have 45 dci on your suit (e.g., armor of fortune, folded steel reading glasses, and arcane shield) and you'll be just fine.

For PvP, it's a bit different. The way PvP necro/mages get around wrestling is by holding a -25 (or less) mage weapon. This can be a bit expensive, as it requires wearing inquis and orny for 2/6, as well as crystalline ring to compensate for the -20 to -25 magery on the weapon. This is a great option if you have the money, but again, its not really essential for PvM.

N

NickyDishes

ummm dci doesnt work unless u have wrestling, any weapon skill, or u have a mage weapon equipped. Someone plz correct me if im wrong.

N

NickyDishes

unless ur human and were talkin bout the joat wrestle....then that im not sure