• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Yes it even runs on a Netbook

T

Tukaram

I know a lot of folks keep saying their old machines can't run 3D/KR/EC. I can't but wonder how old they are?

I loaded UO:EC on my MSI Wind Netbook and it ran great. The only issue I had was the 10" screen. The rune books sure are small rolleyes: I think if it will run on this it could run on about anything. Granted it is only a year old but it sure doesn't have any bells or whistles.

Do you think maybe they just don't want to try it?

• CPU: Intel® Atom™ N270 1.6GHz
• Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
• Display: 10" WSVGA LCD
• Color: Black
• Graphics: Intel® GMA950
• System Memory: 1GB DDR2
• Hard Drive: 120GB SATA I
Communications:
• Built-in 10/100 Ethernet
• Built-in 802.11b/g/n WLAN Card / No Bluetooth
• Dimensions: 10.23"(L) X7.08"(D) X 0.748"~1.24"(H)
• Weight: 2.3 lbs (3 cell)

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a lot of folks keep saying their old machines can't run 3D/KR/EC. I can't but wonder how old they are?
Do you think maybe they just don't want to try it?
I have a laptop, 4 years old (mid-range entertainment laptop at the time), and I cannot use the EC on it (at least not with any reasonable performance unless I make the game window unreasonably small).
Yes, some people are being ridiculous and saying they can't run EC when they probably could if they only updated their video card drivers and directx... but the EC does not run on computers that are more than reasonable to keep around.

That said... the EC runs amazingly well on some really low-end computers, so people shouldn't give up trying to use the EC just because a "better" computer can't run it.

T

Tukaram

This thing is mostly for when I travel (Facebook, e-mails, my stereo etc). It can barely run YouTube.

F

Fink

That's great.

I wonder if I could run it on my notebook? I might try that when I have time.

N

Nosbor

A four years old computer isn't a viable option, even if it runs.
I have an Apple IIC that runs.
By 36 months hardware is obsolete, and by 60 months of median use hardware failure is imminent.
Developers have to pick a stop point going backwards, especially with new dev, if they target something too far back...like say XP, then by the time they get it out then they risk targeting a no longer available OS, that isn't even being supported by the manufacturer anymore.
XP is only still around because Vista was a massive failure compared to 7.
When MS kills XP, I fully expect all net new dev coming out of EA to be targeted at Vista quality, home user level machines.
At some point people will have to get with the times, spend the $800 and upgrade.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Enhanced Client runs on any machine that has a graphics adapter worth $30 in it. It even runs on newer laptops or netbooks, since the graphics performance of those has been improved (it won't run on my 5 year old notebook either).

Those who say that the EC doesn't work on their machines, either have a PC from the past millenium, or they do not even want to spend the 30 bucks on a cheap 3D card (while tending their 10 accounts).

To my opinion, using the EC is not a matter of can/cannot, but rather a matter of want/wantnot.

A

AesSedai

- Aye, my nearly 5 year old laptop (fujitsu n series lifebook) runs it like a champ, even thought it is somewhat of an oldie in computer gaming standards (for instance: it can't handle Oblivion), with its onboard graphics processing unit and default ram. I also use the highest settings possible in the EC options on that pc.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By 36 months hardware is obsolete, and by 60 months of median use hardware failure is imminent.
Complete and utter BS.

60 months (5 years) is called Planned Obsolescence. That’s when you will no longer receive support for a product even if you pay because the manufacturers WANT you to shell out more money for a new system.

It has very little to do with mysterious 'imminent hardware failure' and everything to do with greedy manufacturers.

A beefy gaming system from 4 years ago, properly maintained, should have very little problem with the EC. Get the OS and driver updates.

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before we launched the beta of the enhanced client, we tested the client on a large number of graphics cards. Because we are using a 3d engine and hardware to render a 2d game, there is a very large amount of texture data that needs to be sent to and stored on the graphics card. It has gotten better since KR (you may remember people saying that KR made their graphics cards smoke) but it is still the bottleneck for most systems. This means that systems with large amounts of video RAM and high texture throughput will perform the best. Texture throughput is basically limited by bus speed. Older (especially onboard) video cards are notorious for have really slow texture throughputs. The newer onboard intel graphics chips have gotten much better recently.

Ok I'm done rambling now, I just thought this was an interesting bit of information.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting information, Supreem. I am using a 256 MB PCIe video card (cost: about $30) and SA runs very smoothly. Of course, I suffer from memory leak from particle effects, but that also happens on high-end cards.

I ordered a decent 512 MB PCIe card, which is being delivered next week (cost: $90). Can't wait to see whether it will perform even better.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Geforce GTX275 1.75Gig RAM card here... make it smoke Supreem... I DARE YOU. I already told Grimm that I WANT UO to melt my video card at the chat last night :p

V

Vercingitorix

I'm playing using a mix of EC and 2D on my Dell Mini 9.

Processor Intel Atom 1.6GHz
Memory 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz
Hard drive 8GB SSD
Chipset Intel GMA950
Graphics Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset (integrated)
Operating system Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Screen size (diagonal) 7 inches

2D runs smooth as silk, EC runs quite well, but have to turn some of the graphic options off. But is still nice.

It's hard to find games that support the max resolution of this thing @ 1024x600, very happy UO runs on it. If I didn't travel so much I'd probably invest in something better. This is just easier to lug around.

Fresley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just set it up on my Toshiba NB205 that has the same specs as the OP's. I wouldn't use it at a champ spawn, but for resource gathering it is great. Of course, I wouldn't use the legacy client for a champ either.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the last patch made the EC very unstable on my system.
amd 64 3700 2gb
ati hd 3650 1gb

opening up several packs fast results in a crash to desktop 100% of the time.

PS on my laptop it wont go full screen and the mouse clicks about 1/2 inch off from the area im clicking.