• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wrestling or parry or both for pvp?

S

Serkon555

which is better parry, wrestling or both for pvp, and also is SS worth going over 100?

I

imported_Spiritless

Parry isn't really viable for a mage because it requires 80 dex to be most effective, meaning a serious compromise on your intelligence which wouldn't be acceptable.

Wrestling, or a weapon skill such as macing, fencing or swords, is an absolute requirement for a PvP mage as your combat skill is a direct factor in determining whether other people will hit you using melee. I'd say anything less than 120.0 skill in this area is unacceptable. The only real exception to this rule is if you're using a weapon with a "mage weapon -skill" property. Necro/Mage characters, who have particularly cramped templates, often use mage weapons and make up the skill that they lose elsewhere, or they use artifact items with "mage weapon -0" property on them, such as the Staff of Pyros or the Staff of the Magi.

Lastly, yes it is worth taking Spirit Speak above GM. It is the damage and curse duration modifier for the Necromancy line of spells and if you're looking to maximize your offensive effectiveness in this area then the higher SS the better. Spirit Speak is to Necromancy what Evaluating Intelligence is to Magery. 120.0 skill would be good to aim for in this area.

Hope this helped. Take care.

K

Kith Kanan

the parry / wrestle combo is actualy rather nice , ofc its not a top dmg dealer templet , but its a nice team player templet , being able to heal trugh dexxers pounding on you is always nice , and you dont need a ton of dex , round 30'ish to 40'ish dex and a 50 ep ring and you will do nicely , I got a red toon with 120 parry 120 wrestling 45+ dci and 35 unbuffed dex , and he is rather hard to hit

I

imported_Spiritless

Dex at 30 gives you a 20% chance to block with parry, 40 gives 23%. Dex at 80 gives you 35% (max) to block. This is with legendary parry. You're losing around 13% effectiveness of a skill you're dedicating 120.0 points to in your setup. Is it worth it? I'd personally say you'd be better spending those points in a skill to compliment your offence to kill them faster, rather than a compromised defensive skill. I'd only really consider parry if you had many +int items to work a suit around which wouldn't compromise you too much when running with higher dex.

@Serkon555:

The formula for working out whether or not a player will hit another player takes both the attacker's weapon skill and defender's weapon skill into consideration. Equipping a mage weapon means instead of your wrestling/swords/macing/fencing being used, your magery skill is used instead. This means if you had 120 magery, and a -0 mage weapon, it'd be like you had 120.0 in a combat skill in terms of evasion chance.

X

Xizz

A little input on the parrying part of this;
i had about 60-65ish dex when i used parry(gm) and it worked really, really nice.
Coupled with leg wrestling and 45 dci its wonderful.

K

Kith Kanan

Spiritless ofc there is more effective killing templets , but being able to stay alive , and heal your team mates , makes it a rather nice team-player templet , and for the effectivnes , 40'ish dex , that can be reached easy , combined with pots taking you to 60+ depending on EP , and you only loose a few percent , making it worth it imho , but ofc its all a matter of preference , I also got red necro/mages and nox/mages , and they all usefull in diff ways

G

Good_Ole_Lefty

"The best mage temp in the game atm is the necro mage with 45 dci using a 1 handed mage wep but make sure u get at least 115 magery even with ur wep on. Usually this is done with a crystalline ring."

I think it depends on what your personal taste are and how you play your character. The biggest advantage of a necro mage of course is strangle, corpse skin, blood oath and pain spike, not to mention evil omen.

I'm currently running Wrestle/Scribe with 60 Necro and have gm focus instead of med. My Comboes do really heavy damage. The focus is to offset strangle damage with the stamina regen and my suit is corpse skin proof :]

NeXeD LeGeNd

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
strangle disrupts.. i can weaken bug myself.. blood oath u forcing u to do damage to urself cuz u wouldn't be able to disrupt without a damaging spell... plus without GM med.. u take a pen on ur MR even on ur suit.... basically that temp would have no chance at killing a mage like me...