• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wow, two thief forums and no FAQ on how to raise stealing from 0

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my vague recollections you could buy skill up to 30 from the NPC thief guildmaster right? I ran round tram skara, fel skara, fel bucs, and could not find a NPC thief GM. This is ticking me off. Is there a different way to do this now?

R

RichDC

You can try haven, i seem to see one there all the time...or try cove that one is always welcoming.

You dont have to be in fel to find the guildmaster/mistress.

R

RichDC

Your welcome, good luck on your chosen new profession...

May your marks be stupid and your steals great!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my vague recollections you could buy skill up to 30 from the NPC thief guildmaster right? I ran round tram skara, fel skara, fel bucs, and could not find a NPC thief GM. This is ticking me off. Is there a different way to do this now?
There is a GuildMaster thief in every town in Tram ( fel too I believe) but they are just hard to find!

as far as skill gains above 30 it is all based on weight for gains.
GM thieving allows you to steal 100 stones in weight at one time.

Seems to me I went to Fel with a pack mule would just snoop then steal things out of the mules pack.

I think this is right...but it is years since I gmed stealing.

C

Chaoskitty

Pretty much what Timberwolf said, except it's 1 stone for every 10 skill... so at gm stealing you'd be able to steal 10 stones, not 100.

Basically get a packy bring it to fel, have it guard you. Fill it with a couple different things to steal (I.e. gold, arrows, bottles etc. stackable items you can steal from. At each stealing incriment change the amount of the stack you are stealing. So if you're at 30 skill steal stacks of 3 stones, at 40 skill steal 4 stones and so on.

Least that is how I did it.

It is a slow skill to gain, but if you keep at it, you'll be able to get it higher.

Good luck :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my 'stealing from packie' list:

shirt, 2 stones.
robe, 3 stones,
skirt, 4 stones,
cloak, 5 stones,
bronze shield, 6 stones,
metal kite shield 7 stones,
heater shield, 8 stones,
war fork, 9 stones,
lap harp 10 stones.
bought 20 of each off npc's, sold them back afterwards.

Remember you need to tell the pack horse to guard you and you must be in Felucca.

Something I just remembered. I didn't steal directly from the packhorse, but from a bag in the pack horse's pack. The reason for this was I set that bag using uoa's organiser agent, so when it was empty I could simply put in my pack with all the stolen objects and use the organiser to re-fill it for the next run.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well there is one on the pvp thief forum but it's buried in the FAQ there.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

shirt, 2 stones.
robe, 3 stones,
skirt, 4 stones,
cloak, 5 stones,
bronze shield, 6 stones,
heater shield, 8 stones,
war fork, 9 stones,
lap harp 10 stones.

Remember you need to tell the pack horse to guard you and you must be in Felucca.

Something I just remembered. I didn't steal directly from the packhorse, but from a bag in the pack horse's pack. The reason for this was I set that bag using uoa's organiser agent, so when it was empty I could simply put in my pack with all the stolen objects and use the organiser to re-fill it for the next run.
Thanks for the list! That is very useful for me.

I was doing piles of gold but sometimes I was just stealing 50 (instead of 150) and would have to restack them, so I switched to a bone helmet (at 3 stones) and then moved onto a pair of thigh boots (at 4 stones). I don't have UOA on that account so I'm doing this all by hand, which is really tedious and that $15 to get UOA is looking like a nice time investment, lol. I've gotten it up to 50 now though, so it's not been *too* terrible. We'll see how the 60's go. If gains slow down massively I might go ahead and get it.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well there is one on the pvp thief forum but it's buried in the FAQ there.
Yeah I looked for a while and couldn't find it, and was getting frustrated because I was really looking very intensively for the gm. I think they hide when they know someone needs them, heh.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I looked for a while and couldn't find it, and was getting frustrated because I was really looking very intensively for the gm. I think they hide when they know someone needs them, heh.
Also in New Haven there's almost always one west of the bank. But ya they like to hide.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

shirt, 2 stones.
robe, 3 stones,
skirt, 4 stones,
cloak, 5 stones,
bronze shield, 6 stones,
heater shield, 8 stones
war fork, 9 stones,
lap harp 10 stones.
Try to replace the shields with weapons of the same weight, they are cheaper to buy.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but harder to target :D They're only examples, and the things I chose to suit me. Shields are a nice big target to click on compared to a weapon

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Besides, if you have a little combat skill on your character as you train, you can get the shields as a much more likely loot from a kill (say, in the ruins of old haven) than a weapon of the appropriate weight.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gold, pots and scrolls work fine. If it's not working for you...you're doing something wrong...la