Would you ever give up your ability to tame Cu?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
J

[JD]

I had the good luck of starting my tamer as an elf without knowing anything about the races. But I am getting super tired of being on foot whenever the greater dragon is pulled out of the stables. I'm considering race changing to a garg, and of course Ninjitsu is always a possibility. A human would be awesome for the JOAT though.

Would you ever give up your ability to tame Cu Sidhe and race change away from being an Elf?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Out of my 20+ tamer characters, only a handful (3 or 4, don't have my spreadsheet handy) are elven. The rest are human and will remain that way. My elven tamers that haven't used an expensive hair dye that was a gift from a friend will also probably become humans at some point.

I don't care that much for cu sidhe. I think they made a lot of tamers very lazy and I don't like their yapping. So I've very very rarely regretted that most of my tamers aren't elves and can't tame them. I can do the quest to make them elf and then do the quest to change back to human without any problems if I ever get the urge to go tame a cu sidhe. Both quests are easy to do.

I doubt I will ever make a gargoyle tamer either. I really rely on the ability of humans to carry a heavier load. And with how difficult it has become recently to acquire stat scrolls and be able to max out stats, it's become even more important to me to make human characters for their strong back racial ability. I've also become so used to being on foot while using a greater dragon that I find myself being on foot a lot more on the rare occasions when I do use a cu sidhe. I also don't like the looks of the gargoyles, especially in the legacy client. Too darn ugly!!!

Also, the ability to pull off a hide attempt with a human character is something that can come in very handy at times.

:)

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 26, 2005
I had the good luck of starting my tamer as an elf without knowing anything about the races. But I am getting super tired of being on foot whenever the greater dragon is pulled out of the stables. I'm considering race changing to a garg, and of course Ninjitsu is always a possibility. A human would be awesome for the JOAT though.

Would you ever give up your ability to tame Cu Sidhe and race change away from being an Elf?
I'm just making another tamer and it's human. Bum! I forgot about the ability to ride Cus...
I'd not want to loose that ability though strong back and JOAT is frickin sweet just for the regen alone, before hide, tracking etc etc..

I dont know how someone who uses a cu can be called lazy though vs someone who uses a GD? Seems like a pot/kettle black scenario!

I guess th other good thing about Garg is you can rock a bake instead of a mare (eg bake/beetle) combo if u like:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=188282

Just a thought!

If gargs can't mount hiryu/Cu/mares though, it's gotta be a pain for those safety-mounts?

J

[JD]

Garm,

As a human you can still ride/control Cu's, you just need footpads of the cu sidhe. I bought some in housing for hrothgard for 10kgp the other day so they are dirt cheap. Go pick yourself up and no harm done, although you will need someone else to tame it for you.

Mainly being an elf is only to tame Cu. There are tons more advantages to being human for JOAT, or for being Gargoyle to not have to spend skill points on Ninjitsu.

Gargoyle cannot ride a mount no matter what, not even if they are polyformed.

I don't see how a Cu Sidhe makes anyone any more or less lazy than a greater dragon tamer... it's just another pet built for a different type of use.

Yeah you get used to being on foot but if you do spawns being on foot is a really horrible thing, makes you an easy target. There's a lot of options to weigh here.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
I'd soulstone ninjitsu onto my tamer if I wanted to move faster alongside pets. For spawning I prefer a stealth tamer anyway so for my tamer that would make most sense.

Changing to a gargy isn't something I can ever see myself doing tbh, especially not on a tamer. There are times when it's very useful to mount a rideable pet, to save it taking further damage or to stop a fight for whatever reason. That's actually the main reason I still have a cu sidhe - it's a handy tank pet that you can drop in and out of fights. You don't always want to pull spawn out behind a pet heh.

But, it depends how often you use a GD. I don't use them at all now, but if you're using them nearly all the time, a race change might be justifiable.

Wenchy

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Did you guys even notice I used the past tense, i.e., I said, "I think they made a lot of tamers very lazy...."??

At least with greater dragons, most tamers seem to stand close enough to them to throw a bandage on them now and then. After cu sidhe were added to the game, it seemed like an awful lot of tamers seemed to forget there even was such a thing as vet skill, other than when they zoned out while watching their pet slowly kill something and let it get redlined and then die because they thought it was invulnerable.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Did you guys even notice I used the past tense, i.e., I said, "I think they made a lot of tamers very lazy...."??

At least with greater dragons, most tamers seem to stand close enough to them to throw a bandage on them now and then. After cu sidhe were added to the game, it seemed like an awful lot of tamers seemed to forget there even was such a thing as vet skill, other than when they zoned out while watching their pet slowly kill something and let it get redlined and then die because they thought it was invulnerable.
I did notice the past tense Tina, but I disagree. There is NOTHING in the game...NOTHING...that has made current tamers lazier than greater dragons. Personally I tend to laugh at the many tamers I constantly see with a gdrag in tow. I find when I am in game with them that they have forgotten...or never learned...what being a good tamer is all about. Too many tamers nowadays think they are good tamers due to the gdrag. They tend to define the "all kill, no skill" mentality. I am not saying I never use one, but it is not my first choice. In fact, depending on opponent, they rank down there quite a bit. JMO.

J

[JD]

You must have some incredible Cu's not to have to heal them, or maybe I'm just attacking too much at once or something. Cause my main trained Cu is a 3.9 and he isn't godlike, he needs to be taken care of and healed just like any other pet. I have a bonded 4.3 I took out the other day to start training while I tried to tame swamp dragons and the swamp creatures made short work of him. LOL. Training accounts for quite a bit on a Cu...

I take my GD out when I'm feeling lazy as it can take more hits before requiring intervention. Or when doing things which require a "tank" and people are too squishy.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
I like being an elf. It's like my Royal Subject of the Britannia Zoo title, it just screams "Trammie Tamer", and I absolutely love that in pvp. There's nothing more satisfying than slaughtering some knucklehead "733t peeveepee'r" who thinks you are just another "Trammie Tamer". It's the icing on the cake, the cherry on the sundae, the lime in your Corona... you get the picture I'm sure... :)

M

Miss Ghost

I have been a mage/tamer since my character was created and she most certainly doesn't have pointy ears! *smiles*
I have puppy that was given to me many moons ago now and I use him for succubi and he was, with some backup, pretty good when those crimson dragons were afoot.
I personally don't miss not being able to tame them, my mainstay are my greater dragons, which I enjoy taming, training and either selling or passing on (I've tamed many a greater in Destard to help out someone less able to tame one that he/she was after). I use my Stuffy Dwagon mostly for all my hunting but I would personally miss not being able to ride my other pets if I were a gargoyle. The choice however is yours whether you wish to be able to fly rather than have to run everywhere *huggles*

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I like being an elf. It's like my Royal Subject of the Britannia Zoo title, it just screams "Trammie Tamer", and I absolutely love that in pvp. There's nothing more satisfying than slaughtering some knucklehead "733t peeveepee'r" who thinks you are just another "Trammie Tamer". It's the icing on the cake, the cherry on the sundae, the lime in your Corona... you get the picture I'm sure... :)
OMG! Too funny.

:lol:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
You must have some incredible Cu's not to have to heal them, or maybe I'm just attacking too much at once or something. Cause my main trained Cu is a 3.9 and he isn't godlike, he needs to be taken care of and healed just like any other pet. I have a bonded 4.3 I took out the other day to start training while I tried to tame swamp dragons and the swamp creatures made short work of him. LOL. Training accounts for quite a bit on a Cu...

I take my GD out when I'm feeling lazy as it can take more hits before requiring intervention. Or when doing things which require a "tank" and people are too squishy.
Most of my cu sidhe have the same skills and stats as the day I got them. I've trained up a couple of them, but honestly I just don't care for them. The ones that are trained do still require vetting at times, depending on what we're hunting. I like using them in the Abyss with stuff that has an area effect when I get tired of always running out of mana from casting heal spells from a distance on a greater dragon or a hiryu. (My bard tamers have low meditation skill and I'm too cheap to redo their suits to try to max out MR and LMC.)

When the cu sidhe were introduced, I really wasn't all that impressed with what happened with them. They are definitely useful in some situations. But, like GDs today, I think people tended (note my use of the past tense here, please!) to use them in every possible situation and because they could heal themselves, many of the people I saw (including one particular guildmate who no longer plays) seemed to think the darn things walked on water or something. That was before we got things like crimson dragons, slashers, etc., etc. Think more along the lines of what we had to hunt in the year or two after the ML expansion and maybe you'll understand what I'm saying. Outside of doing peerless back then, many of the tamers I saw using cu sidhe were barely lifting a finger to help their pet. And those are probably people who don't play anymore because they got too bored with the game.

If you're still playing UO today, what I said probably doesn't apply to you, so please quit getting your feathers ruffled over something I stated was my own opinion and that doesn't count for diddly! They're just not my favorite pets for many reasons and that is why I've never felt compelled to make my tamers elves to go tame them. If I really want one, I just bug a guildmate who does like to tame them. I try to have one good one for each tamer and some of them now have two or three because that guildmate fiendishly manages to find hued ones in colors I can't resist, even though he knows they aren't my favorite pets. I swear he does it on purpose. Maybe he thinks some day I'll finally start training them and fall in love with them.

:)

And by the way, do you still want some of those hued hiryus on Sonoma, JD?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
OMG! Too funny.

:lol:
Sad thing is I've gained a reputation on my shard and most of the "733t peeveepee'rs" are a heck of a lot more careful around me than they used to be. Makes my mission much more challenging... :beer:

J

[JD]

If you're still playing UO today, what I said probably doesn't apply to you, so please quit getting your feathers ruffled over something I stated was my own opinion and that doesn't count for diddly!

And by the way, do you still want some of those hued hiryus on Sonoma, JD?
I prefer my feathers shaken, not stirred Ms. Small!

Yes, whenever you have the time that would be great. I had 3 slots open after giving pets to Hrothgard but I've filled them now! It's Harlequin's fault. "Buffalo Buns" and "Buffalo Breath" the JOAT controllable lowland ruddies now grace my stables, bonded, awaiting training.......