• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Worthless Once Again Since The Latest Nerf

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Junkville

I'm hanging up my shovel.. AGAIN. I said I would give it a week and I did. After the recent silent nerf to treasure hunting which took place a little over a week ago, your just throwing your maps away outside of a lucky alacrity or transcendence scroll the likely of pulling an item of high value is basically nil.

There has been a signifianct drop in intensity on items, particulary Felucca Maps which were at one point dropping some very nice items, and made Treasure Hunting worthwhile for a change. I was actually having some real fun again....until the nerf which was noticeable a little over a week ago.

I've completed somewhere on the order of 150-200 level 6 & 7 Maps this past week. The majority of items were hugely disappointing, a few mediocre items and a couple of so so but nothing of a "Euerka" this is an awesome item.

One run I completed 10 level 7 maps without 1 Legendary, and another run of 10 Level 7s resulted one mediocre Legendary Artifact. Suffice to say I've burned through virtually all my Diaboical Maps with almost nothing to show for it.

@Bleak @Kyronix once again you've managed to make Thunting useless worthless. Nice Job! And if I hear "We didn't change anything", I'm gonna call you a liar. I do enough MAPS were it's clear as day the itensity was lowered.:frown2::confused2::mad2::thumbdown::lame:

Sorry for the negativity, however this is disappointing as Thunting has been an integral part of UO. Revamp Thunting to make it worthwhile. I don't care if you have to create a level 8, 9, 10 and 12 which cause 100+ monsters pop out, but there needs to be some NICE Loot that drops in Treasure Hunting.

All I can say to fellow Treasure Hunters is good luck. Your gonna have to do an INSANE amount of Maps, and invest a boatload of time in order to get even a decent drop since the latest nerf.:thumbdown:

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
OK I never did T hunting till the last 6 months or so. I agree HoneyThornGump. This is not fair and not right at all. The Pardons I missed out on when they sold for 2 million each all day long now I can only sell them for 100k. All I had left to look forward to was putting together 100% LRC Meddable Suits for people to train in and Now I Know why they all got snapped up.....Why DO those in charge insist on screwing us.....?

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Raging here...Nothing to look forward to now *sad* Are you trying to ruin the game for us who ever you are? WHy are you not picking on Dupers Scammers ect and Why Nerf a Treasure Chest???? WOW =[

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It's possible somehow the loot tables got jacked up, and it's affecting Treasure Maps in the same way runic hammers were affected a few months ago.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that this may be the case, if the nerf was intentional then this Dev Team is absolutely horrible. I strongly believe as I've stated numerous time Treasure Hunting is an integral part of UO, and they already screwed THunters over once with the introduction of Royal Pardons.

There needs to be actual chance at Treasure in the Chest, by Treasure I'm not talking about Alacrity's and SoTs, I'm talking about a highly valued item that can be sold on the market, otherwise Treasure Maps just aren't worth doing.

It takes a considerable amount of time going through 70+ items time and time again, especially when your doing tons of maps. Imagine doing 20 Maps...that means you've probably had to look at 1400+ items just to find the "gem", or in this case the needle in the haystack.

Something is jacked up right now...that's for sure.

Felucca maps 2 weeks ago were dropping some nice items, particularly Level 7 Fel Maps.

Right now ALL maps on ALL facets appear to have a drastic reduction in intensities which is making it virtually impossible to pull out an item where you say "WOW...that's some nice treasure".

Whatever the case may be, I hope the Devs take a look at what's going on with the Treasure Chest Loot, and make some changes, the sooner...the better.

Last edited:

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I hope the DEVS are looking at this post. Goes off to play some WOW...

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I like t-hunting. It's fun.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yeah and it's even more fun when you pull out a very nice Legendary Item, which right now doesn't seem possible after doing 200+ high level Maps last week. I did about another 20 level 6-7s today just to test some more. It's hugely disappointing that it's absolute garbage...massive reduction in intensities. Compared to 2 weeks ago when NICE items were found in chests.

Right now they should change the name to JUNK Hunting, because that's all your going to get of a outside a Animal Taming SOT/Alacrity.

Maybe, if your lucky, if you 100 Level 6/ 7s you'll stumble upon a mediocre legendary Artifact.

For that amount of time investment I'll just go chain some monsters where I know I'm guaranteed to get at least a few nice drops.

I love Treasure Hunting, it's my favorite thing to do in UO, but if there isn't any chance for a reward I'm simply going to go do something else.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Then perhaps it's not t-hunting you love, but collecting stuff.

I like t-hunting. I like the monster spawn, the strategy of not getting killed. I like looting the chest for more monsters. I like unraveling the junk for imbuing items, and turning in the completed map for points.

I've never gotten a legendary artifact (not sure I'd even recognize one, I don't get to play as much as I'd like).

I like t-hunting. It's fun.

I detect a lot of negativity from you. Perhaps you should try a different activity that is fun for you. Crafting? Skill training? Peerless boss? I dunno. But if you're not having fun while playing a game, you're not doing it right.

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dizzy, I SO agree! I love t-hunting as well. It's one of the things I recently came back for (after a very long absence).

Treasure hunting is definitely one of the things that no other game has, and one of the things I most enjoy.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Junkville

I'm hanging up my shovel.. AGAIN. I said I would give it a week and I did. After the recent silent nerf to treasure hunting which took place a little over a week ago, your just throwing your maps away outside of a lucky alacrity or transcendence scroll the likely of pulling an item of high value is basically nil.

There has been a signifianct drop in intensity on items, particulary Felucca Maps which were at one point dropping some very nice items, and made Treasure Hunting worthwhile for a change. I was actually having some real fun again....until the nerf which was noticeable a little over a week ago.
Since there's been neither patch nor publish recently, and the devs are up to their eyeballs in working on the expansion, I'm not sure when or how there could have been a nerf. You haven't, by any remote chance, adjusted your suit at all and lost some luck?
I have never received a legendary artifact, best I ever got was 'greater'. I attribute this to the fact that luck was introduced to treasure hunting some time ago and I don't have any on my suit.

Dabloon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Since there's been neither patch nor publish recently, and the devs are up to their eyeballs in working on the expansion, I'm not sure when or how there could have been a nerf. You haven't, by any remote chance, adjusted your suit at all and lost some luck?
I have never received a legendary artifact, best I ever got was 'greater'. I attribute this to the fact that luck was introduced to treasure hunting some time ago and I don't have any on my suit.
Treasure hunting is my primary activity in the game and has been for years. Im not doing it to get elite items to sell but for the enjoyment and I do get useful items for myself. Thats said I appreciate any enhancements that are made to treasure hunting and the items attached. The reward should match the difficulty and investment in treasure hunting skills that are not useful for anything else.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thank You Dev's for putting the Treasure Map Loot back to the way it was *bows*
Should I postpone my retirement?:eyes::D

I did probably 4-5 hours of Treasure Hunting last night, and I agree there has been a change (a very good one).:thumbup:

Greater Artifacts and Major Artifacts appear to have an substantial increase in intensity. Different mods are popping up which is refreshing. I now find myself keeping a number of Greaters & Major Artifacts, where before virtually all greaters (And most Majors) I wouldn't even bother with. This is a very nice change to see different items appear, rather than the same ones over and over for the past I don't know how long.

I pulled out a few Legendary Artifacts...the majority of which were throwaways.

I did a run of 5 Level 7 Maps, 4 of them had no Legendary Artifacts (I was very disappointed). The 5th level 7 Map, however contained 4 Legendary Artifacts. Two of which were mediocre, 1 which was very solid, and one which was a "Hells Yeah!EUREKA!". A very nice drop.

Keep in mind this was after a nice 4-5 hour Treasure Hunting marathon.

Hopefully things stay this way. It's alot more fun when you know there is a chance at something nice.

Thanks @Bleak @Kyronix!:thumbup:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Should I postpone my retirement?:eyes::D

I did probably 4-5 hours of Treasure Hunting last night, and I agree there has been a change (a very good one).:thumbup:

Greater Artifacts and Major Artifacts appear to have an substantial increase in intensity. Different mods are popping up which is refreshing. I now find myself keeping a number of Greaters & Major Artifacts, where before virtually all greaters (And most Majors) I wouldn't even bother with. This is a very nice change to see different items appear, rather than the same ones over and over for the past I don't know how long.

I pulled out a few Legendary Artifacts...the majority of which were throwaways.

I did a run of 5 Level 7 Maps, 4 of them had no Legendary Artifacts (I was very disappointed). The 5th level 7 Map, however contained 4 Legendary Artifacts. Two of which were mediocre, 1 which was very solid, and one which was a "Hells Yeah!EUREKA!". A very nice drop.

Keep in mind this was after a nice 4-5 hour Treasure Hunting marathon.

Hopefully things stay this way. It's alot more fun when you know there is a chance at something nice.

Thanks @Bleak @Kyronix!:thumbup:
We have made no changes to treasure map loot since Publish 88 went world wide November of 2014.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We have made no changes to treasure map loot since Publish 88 went world wide November of 2014.
You left out one word in your post... Between the word "no" and the word "changes" should be the word "intended".

You won't convince me, or many other players, that there have been no changes... They are far too apparent to people who do vast amounts of them. I'm not trying to pick on the Dev teams programming skills here, but we have lots and lots of bugs in UO, so unless you're telling the players that you have added them all intentionally, then we must assume that sometimes changes have unforeseen consequences.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You left out one word in your post... Between the word "no" and the word "changes" should be the word "intended".

You won't convince me, or many other players, that there have been no changes... They are far too apparent to people who do vast amounts of them. I'm not trying to pick on the Dev teams programming skills here, but we have lots and lots of bugs in UO, so unless you're telling the players that you have added them all intentionally, then we must assume that sometimes changes have unforeseen consequences.
I can understand your position. That's one of the challenges of a game as old as UO with as many hands that have dug in under the hood. The OP was made on August 10th and then the follow up on August 16th. There weren't any publishes deployed during that time, so I can say with 100% confidence that we didn't change anything in that time from our end.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can understand your position. That's one of the challenges of a game as old as UO with as many hands that have dug in under the hood. The OP was made on August 10th and then the follow up on August 16th. There weren't any publishes deployed during that time, so I can say with 100% confidence that we didn't change anything in that time from our end.
Loot (as far as I can tell) is not determined client side... No publish would be necessary. If I were to guess something being worked on for the new expansion bleed over...

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Loot (as far as I can tell) is not determined client side... No publish would be necessary. If I were to guess something being worked on for the new expansion bleed over...
You are right, loot is not determined client side. It's all server side. The only time the server changes is when we publish it, which we did not do between August 10th and the 16th (the last publish was 89, which was earlier this year). Development of the expansion happens independent of what is happening on production at this time.

hongkongwong

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever happened it's legit. I have basicly retired until the loot gets a look-see.
Kyronix, i know you guys have not intentionally done anything to the system, but man,
It's about as bad as Demon loot now; A complete waste of your map... it needs a spanking!