• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Worth over 65 Fishing for just SOS's?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Greetings!
I have a treasure hunter that I'm currently working on [magery/mystic T-hunter to be exactly] and I was debating on trying to fit Fishing into the mix. My main intention is being able to fish up the Message in a Bottles that apparently spawn in the treasure chests that I'll be digging up. I haven't attempted to dig any chests up yet so I don't exactly know the spawn rare on these Message in a Bottles.
According to uoguide, it says you need a minimum skill of 65 to be able to fish up an SOS. I was considering bringing up Fishing to 65 total and locking it there just so I'm able to actually fish up the chest and that would be the extent of my fishing experience.
The idea of leveling it up to 120 and purchasing the High Seas expansion isn't something that appeals to me right now, but I'm capable of being persuaded.

Any thoughts on this? Should I go higher than 65? Should I just go 100 or 120 instead? Should I not bother and put fishing on an entirely different character?

Thanks!

Alow

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Don't think you can fish it with 65 because you require higher fishing to fish in deep sea where they usually are.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think the loot will be as good with lower fishing skill.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will be better served if you take you Fishing to GM. There are so many more factes to Fishing with High Seas, than just SOSs. If you like treasure hunting, you will probably like them too. There are only a handful of rare fish that require +GM fishing to obtain. Catching these rare fish and dungeon fish (requires 105), are the only things you cannot do at GM versus 120 skill.

You do not need to keep the skill on the character all the time, just use a soul stone fragment to store the skill when not in use. The 65 skill points can be better used somewhere else on that character when doing treasure maps.

With a GM fisherman, you will catch your own MIBs from the sea. On your way to fish up the ones from the treasure chests, you will usually fish up 1-2 more MIBs from the sea. A single sea serpent is the only thing that stands between you and your MIB. Any character that can handle Level 2 Chest spawn can easily take care of a sea serpent.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You will be better served if you take you Fishing to GM. There are so many more factes to Fishing with High Seas, than just SOSs. If you like treasure hunting, you will probably like them too. There are only a handful of rare fish that require +GM fishing to obtain. Catching these rare fish and dungeon fish (requires 105), are the only things you cannot do at GM versus 120 skill.

You do not need to keep the skill on the character all the time, just use a soul stone fragment to store the skill when not in use. The 65 skill points can be better used somewhere else on that character when doing treasure maps.

With a GM fisherman, you will catch your own MIBs from the sea. On your way to fish up the ones from the treasure chests, you will usually fish up 1-2 more MIBs from the sea. A single sea serpent is the only thing that stands between you and your MIB. Any character that can handle Level 2 Chest spawn can easily take care of a sea serpent.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Great reply!
I was unaware that it was that easy to fish up some SOS's. I thought they were much rarer than that. I will surely be taking Fishing to GM in that case. I, unfortunately, have no interest in actually fishing for the sport of it, so I don't see any reason to take the fishing to 120.

Do you think it would be worth purchasing the High Seas expansion pack if I'm going to use fishing predominantly for treasure hunting on the seas?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend