• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Worst Taming Fears Come True with New Pub

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Edit: thought I was in Uhall, sorry for duplicate post

I just came from TC1 and a conversation with Kyronix. I noticed a unicorn had a base slot of 3, and Kyronix said pet slots will be based off each pets relative power, so a good unicorn may start at a slot higher than a bad one.

My obvious next question was a panicked, What about existing pets?

Kyronix said that if you use the new pet revamp training on an existing pet, the system will change its follower slots based on its attributes, then increase from there.

So for example, my Dreadmare is a very high end pet, stat wise. If I use the new system with it, it will automatically shift above 3 slots to 4, then as I use the new system move to 5.

So I now cannot use the Dread with a Bake.

However, if I don't use the new system, my Dread will now not have access to the new skills. If you haven't seen them, pets can now train in Stat Regen, and skills like Necromancy, Spellweaving, Bushido, etc depending on type.

SO a Nightmare that utilizes the new system can potentially destroy my old pet in combat.

Basically, the hours and hours I've spent trying to collect high end versions of each slot-range of pets over the years is invalidated. My stables are full. Either I train my existing pets in the new system, destroying the existing calculus of pet-slot combinations they are built around -OR- I empty my stables and train new pets.

This isn't a Devs effed up post. I don't think they even considered this aspect of it. I'm just very bummed because I was quite vocal to please take into consideration pre-revamp pets when making the new system.

But faced with the option of either:

1. Clear out existing stables of pets to use the new system,
or
2. Use new system with existing pets and discard the slot-relationships they are built around,
or
3. Begin training entirely new tamers with empty stables,
or
4. Do nothing, do not get to utilize the revamp, and have pets that are weaker than all new pets,

I don't see how the new system addresses this.

Taming is the #1 activity I've spent time in UO on over the last 16 years, by a wide margin. I have more tamers than all other types combined. The idea of a pet revamp was very exciting, because there are tons of new pets folks have asked for for years. But changing the fundamental strucutre of pet ownership (follower slots) in this way is definitely NOT what I had hoped.

I just don't even know what to say here, I'm just venting. The new skill trees look cool for sure, I just have the feeling that unless I train up a new tamer (by deleting an existing character) I won't get to utilize it.

And on Siege, there is only 1 character allowed, meaning a very hard limit on what can be stabled. I'm at max already there. My only options are to get rid of some nice pets, or completely alter their utility by changing slots.

*wrings hands*

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Last edited:

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And here I was bummed that I let my giant beetle die in a cemetery while I trained fencing on skeletons.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am kind of with Troll here. It actually sounds like it is going to be well balanced and breath new life into some old pets just not allow over powered super combos.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tyrath, serious question, have you encountered a Dimetrosaur in game? They are in the Eodon spawn. I ask because the base tamed HP on them right now is 1000. You read that right. Believe me, I want this to be a good publish. I'm just not seeing it yet.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tyrath, serious question, have you encountered a Dimetrosaur in game? They are in the Eodon spawn. I ask because the base tamed HP on them right now is 1000. You read that right. Believe me, I want this to be a good publish. I'm just not seeing it yet.
What are the other stats/skills
:postpics:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like they are not rushing it out the door. It was just released to TC. If it is 1000 HP and awesome attack and defense with across the board high resist and spec attacks then yeah over powered. If it is 1000 HP and total 30s-60s resist, and supreme attack then and has one or more weaknesses then I would call it balanced. I do see the concern with existing pets in the stables being worthless in comparison to new pets. Wonders if you release a pet and retame it if it would start out fresh?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other thing I wonder, I have tamed some really crappy GDs that at best should have 3 control slots but would be worth while teamed up with another pet like a bake or mare...... Me I am going to be rolling with my Tsuki Wolves :)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The current taming system has existed for years. People are used to it. Programs have been built to calculate pet worthiness and taming requirements, pet combos have been tried an tested on certain monsters, and many players have the whole thing down to a science. ANY revamp, especially one as large as this is looking, is going to upset at least some of these people. But, as has been said, this is only the first version of the system. Make sure to send in your constructive feedback.

Out of all your suggestions that you listed, I would go with upgrading most of your existing pets. Instead of using up your control slots on 2 pets, maybe now you only need one pet with more skills and it might even be more enjoyable. Less pet summoning balls that way. I am personally looking forward to upping my ridable Cu Sidhe's game so that she's actually a competitive pet once again, since I cannot stand being on foot with a GD or turtle.

If you want to keep some pets in 'mint' condition, so to speak, then I suggest going with making a new char and stabling the pets. Maybe you can use an existing char, such as crafters and warriors, by swapping out their template with SS, stable the pets, and then re-stone whatever that char's usual template is. If you are up to date on expansions, the current stable slot default is 6 slots, without any taming skill, so that char would still be able to use a swampy or firebeetle or whatever as long as you only store 5 other pets. That way they are 'stabled' on a non-taming char that doesn't really need pets, and your tamer char can go train up new ones for actual game play. Your real tamer can take the pets back if you decide to not use the new system. Obviously, you'd need another tamer on a 2nd account to trade it to another char on the same account, and you would also need to spend some coin to scroll up the temporary tamer so they could hold the stoned skills. May not be worth the effort and expense for pets you only bring out once in a while for show and tell, but that depends on how much you want to preserve the 'traditional' pets with their classic skills. I realize that wouldn't work for your Siege tamer, but at least your Tram tamers could be happy. For Siege you would have to make a new tamer to store the older pets for posterity, but you wouldn't have to keep the account open all the time.

In the end tho, each expansion comes out with bigger an better pets, and the older ones have been left to rot. It will be nice, imo, to see some variety of pets out in the field, which is what this revamp looks like it's going to do. It's looking like we will be training old pets to do new tricks, which actually has me a bit excited!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
From Uo.com

Publish 97 Comes to TC1
Posted on March 16, 2017 by UO Dev Team

Greetings,

We are pleased to announce the first iteration of Publish 97 will be coming to TC1 later this afternoon! Included in this first release of Publish 97 is the much-anticipated pet revamp. Make sure you patch up to the latest client before heading over to TC1. We had several core goals going in to the pet revamp with regard to pets including,

• Ensuring the Greater Dragon is still a viable pet for those that have and wish to continue to use them.
  • Allow greater diversity of pets that are effective by looking at their survivablilty and allowing animal tamers to customize their pets to increase survivability and variation.
  • Provide an in-game path to learn to use Animal Training with as much information as necessary to make Animal Training something everyone can have fun with.
In order to achieve these goals you can look forward to the following changes with pets,

• Pets can now be trained beyond their current control slot requirements up to new maximums.
  • Train pets in endless combinations of special abilities, special moves, area effects and magic schools.
  • Customize skill caps and attributes to create new pet variants.
  • Read the full initial release notes here
This is only the first iteration of Publish 97 and at this stage we want to concentrate on testing the Animal Training process. This includes the in-game path for learning about this new feature, as well as your experience with training pets, the results of customizing pets, and how those customized pets are balanced with the rest of the world.

This is just the first release of Publish 97, in future releases you can look forward to brand new creatures and rare pet color spawns! Look for more details on these creatures in our next newsletter.

For now, head over to TC1 and check out Animal Training! As always we look forward to your feedback.! We will be live on TC1 tonight to answers any questions you may have about Animal Training.

See you in Britannia,

UO Team

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just in case some of you haven't seen the thread in UHall, I posted the Pet Training Menu there....the customization is beyond insane. As a life-long tamer I am VERY happy with this re-vamp. I started with a freshly tamed Unicorn, once I finished the first round of training it now has 624 HP, fire breath and toxic goo area effect and can kick a dimetrosaurs butt ;)

Training Menue.jpg

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just in case some of you haven't seen the thread in UHall, I posted the Pet Training Menu there....the customization is beyond insane. As a life-long tamer I am VERY happy with this re-vamp. I started with a freshly tamed Unicorn, once I finished the first round of training it now has 624 HP, fire breath and toxic goo area effect and can kick a dimetrosaurs butt ;)

View attachment 63824
And how long did it take to get the menu?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Pet training never advance past 1%, Kyronix actually bumped up my pet to 99% and had me kill something to lvl it up. He said they are still tweaking the time it takes to train because right now I don't think anyone has gotten past 1%. Hopefully when he's on later him and Bleak will fix it.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet training never advance past 1%, Kyronix actually bumped up my pet to 99% and had me kill something to lvl it up. He said they are still tweaking the time it takes to train because right now I don't think anyone has gotten past 1%. Hopefully when he's on later him and Bleak will fix it.
Patch notes would be great and I wouldn't of wasted an hour killing greater dragons and going through thousands of mana and bandages lol..it's not easy killing those buggers with a dread

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, if I don't use the new system, my Dread will now not have access to the new skills. If you haven't seen them, pets can now train in Stat Regen, and skills like Necromancy, Spellweaving, Bushido, etc depending on type.
I don't think it had access to new skills anyway, unless you "level" it up, which wouldn't work with your pairing, since youd have to move your Dread up to 4 slots. If I understand correctly.

On the plus side, though it would take time and effort, you should be able to level a Nightmare up, hopefully making it comparable with a current dreadmare, if you own pets have their slots altered.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other thing I wonder, I have tamed some really crappy GDs that at best should have 3 control slots but would be worth while teamed up with another pet like a bake or mare...... Me I am going to be rolling with my Tsuki Wolves :)
I ran around with one for a while. Kinda fun, but worse than a tiger I'd say.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The current taming system has existed for years. People are used to it. Programs have been built to calculate pet worthiness and taming requirements, pet combos have been tried an tested on certain monsters, and many players have the whole thing down to a science. ANY revamp, especially one as large as this is looking, is going to upset at least some of these people. But, as has been said, this is only the first version of the system. Make sure to send in your constructive feedback.

Out of all your suggestions that you listed, I would go with upgrading most of your existing pets. Instead of using up your control slots on 2 pets, maybe now you only need one pet with more skills and it might even be more enjoyable. Less pet summoning balls that way. I am personally looking forward to upping my ridable Cu Sidhe's game so that she's actually a competitive pet once again, since I cannot stand being on foot with a GD or turtle.

If you want to keep some pets in 'mint' condition, so to speak, then I suggest going with making a new char and stabling the pets. Maybe you can use an existing char, such as crafters and warriors, by swapping out their template with SS, stable the pets, and then re-stone whatever that char's usual template is. If you are up to date on expansions, the current stable slot default is 6 slots, without any taming skill, so that char would still be able to use a swampy or firebeetle or whatever as long as you only store 5 other pets. That way they are 'stabled' on a non-taming char that doesn't really need pets, and your tamer char can go train up new ones for actual game play. Your real tamer can take the pets back if you decide to not use the new system. Obviously, you'd need another tamer on a 2nd account to trade it to another char on the same account, and you would also need to spend some coin to scroll up the temporary tamer so they could hold the stoned skills. May not be worth the effort and expense for pets you only bring out once in a while for show and tell, but that depends on how much you want to preserve the 'traditional' pets with their classic skills. I realize that wouldn't work for your Siege tamer, but at least your Tram tamers could be happy. For Siege you would have to make a new tamer to store the older pets for posterity, but you wouldn't have to keep the account open all the time.

In the end tho, each expansion comes out with bigger an better pets, and the older ones have been left to rot. It will be nice, imo, to see some variety of pets out in the field, which is what this revamp looks like it's going to do. It's looking like we will be training old pets to do new tricks, which actually has me a bit excited!
Seems like the best pets will be the ones that start at 2 slots, and can be trained up to 5. Nightmare, Firesteed (I think), Tiger, Tsuki wolf, Bake, Drake... off the top of my head.

Skeletor_Siege

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So can you train any animal to be as strong as the strongest tame-able stuff now?
Like can I tame a goat that destroys everything?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if anyone wants to sell a dread mare i'll gamble they don't nerf them too bad

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there going to be limits on what kind of creatures can train in certain skills, it is going to turn taming into a circus act if chickens are casting flamestrike..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think only magical creatures can use magery, only "Evil" can use necro.. have to have a tail to use tail lash, etc.

I personally like the idea of magic chickens, but that's just me.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
going to test center. I'm hoping that new system wont make pets too powerful, may cause a lot of issues and unnecessary work. pvp. imbalance, causing nerfs, revamps of other templates for balance etc... wonder what events will be like and what other changes the devs want to do that haven't been mentioned yet,concerning pet revamp. tamers have already started to outnumber other templates at events which means more lag lol. have fun

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I can't train up common animals into killing machines then I don't see the point . GD's tanking, which is what they're primarily used for, was fine as it is. But if I can now have , like someone else mentioned, an albino squirrel that performs like a GD, then I'm down. :pirate:

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was kind of hoping one of the abilities would be something similar to the wing beat wind thing that the GD in the belfry does. That would have been cool. And maybe to not OP it would not affect monsters that have a tail or that are a certain size.
Alas, one can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So how do you use pet revamp training?
Never mind, realized it's just in testing lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: