• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wisp Herder?

L

lundan

I'm getting a little freaked out. I'm in Ilshenar farming wisps for seeds, and I'm noticing an odd trend. On occasion, a wisp will start to follow me. It won't attack, but it's acting just like a herded animal, following me wherever I go. I did the Armageddon spell way back when, and talked to the wisp who sought information, so dunno if it's related. I've never seen this happen before.

Anyone else seeing odd happenings with these creatures?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not seen it myself, but yes, I've heard that it's one of the potential side effects of playing with blackrock.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Giggles* It could be some stealthy herder playing tricks on you. Tis such a delight to get a non-aggressive animal to follow someone and watch their reactions. Not that I've ever tried myself mind you. ;)

I too spoke with the wisp after casting Armageddon and have occasionally witnessed wisps seeming to follow me around. Also having some show up around my keep which until I cast that spell had never seen a wisp in that area for 8 years. It is mysterious the actions of these creatures.

Oriana

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stop killing my friends.

edit, you cant herd wisp. belive me ive tried. there smarter than all of us.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is it possible that maybe it is a wisp that you attacked, but not killed (ie: area of affect or some other attack) went to bank and dumped gold. then went back to the wisp dungeon? the reason i say this is i have noticed for quite some time that a creature/npc that i have attacked and not killed, then I cross a serverline(s),then come back to that area, will follow me like a pet/summon until i attack it. this can be very annoying when its a paragon ancient wyrm.

K

Katlene

we were meant to talk to a wisp after casting armageddon?

oops

can i still do it?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a small chance that casting armageddon summons a talkative blue wisp. As far as I know, everyone who encountered it eventually hit a wall in the coversation where it asks for a "dense source of knowledge" and we never did figure out that plotline.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah it's the sugar cane!!! Eating too much sugar can be dangerous to ones health. Makes you see things...:coco:

Oriana

K

Katlene

*slowly removes fibre from her teeth*

hopefully no one saw that

S

Splup

When I started playing UO back in 2000, I read somewhere (Gotta get my old manual somewhere, I think it was there) that if you follow a Wisp long enough you will find a treasure. Can't remember how long I followed one wisp untill I started to think that I'm being tricked here ;(

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't worry too much. Often when I am out collecting bone from shadow wisps at the Oaks champ spawn, a Pixie will run right over to me in a bee line like it is going to attack and stop right next to me. I would imagine it is the same thing happening with your wisps. Something in the AI that makes them come close to you and perhaps want to attack but that AI rule is overrun by the other saying don't attack good Karma people. Chalk it up to the natural inquisitve nature of these beings.