• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Wingless miners of Minoc

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Regent Lord Blackthorn,
I hope this day findeth thee well.

I request thou not remove, nor "free," nor otherwise interfere with the Gargoyle wingless miners of Minoc. Thou shouldst no more "liberate" them than thou wouldst liberate a ten-year-old human child from his family.

I pray that thou readest "The Book of Family" and "The Book of Administration." These will explain a bit about the role of the wingless in Gargish society. The wingless are not slaves. Gargoyles are not human. The wingless are workers, true, but could be thought of as somewhere between "apprentice" and "adopted child" to their caretakers.

It is a huge tragedy that in the Royal City and The Holy City, there are no wingless, when they are hatched at a ratio of two-to-one with respect to the Winged. Thou shouldst also read my book, "Wingless Like Me, Revised Edition"; I believe that the Kingdom of Dawn library in Malas hath a copy of this tome.

I had been hoping that Minoc's welcoming of the wingless (and winged alike) would be the first step toward establishing Britannia as a place where Gargoyles could live a more normal life, than in the now-harsh realm of Ter Mur which is under threat of being consumed by The Void and its void demons.

An' thou wishest to do aught for the wingless miners, pray put a bit of roast rib into their lunch bag. It seemeth that someone hath in the past stolen their lunch.

Ever thy servant,
James
Former governor of Minoc

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Book of Family

by Unknown

When a child hatches from his egg, he is born without wings. But even from birth one can tell whether a child will grow up to be a winged or a wingless one. The wingless ones cannot speak, and lack the intelligence of the winged ones. They must be guided. The winged ones are few, but they are entrusted with the intelligence and wisdom of the race. They must guide. Both winged and wingless ones spring from the same eggs, and both belong to the same family. All function as a single whole, to better maintain the struggle for survival in our world.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Book of Administration

by Unknown

For countless ages, we winged ones have led the wingless ones. This is right and proper. But we must always remember that they are no less valuable than we. A body with no head cannot move. But neither can a body with no legs. All must function in unity if anything is to be achieved. So guide the wingless ones, and keep them from paths of error. But guide them with respect.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wingless Like Me (Revised Edition)
By James, Magus d'Ocllo, The Mage Tower

The Gargish culture fascinated me. There were three old wives' tales about them. First, that they were demons. That one I did not believe. Second, that they ate their children. I didn't really believe that either. Third, that they were just people, albeit with wings. I resolved to find out, and, through some shrewd trading of "relic fragment items," wangled myself an invitation to meet with the queen.
==

"To have an audience with the queen," I said to the guard. Fearfully I eyed the intriguing weapon he carried -- a two-hand melee weapon that could be used while flying.

The guard grimaced -- his equivalent of a smile. I'm using the masculine pronoun only for convenience. I couldn't tell "he" from "she" for any gargoyle, or even whether they had those things. He gestured me along.

The queen stood upon a slightly raised dais, behind a lectern. "To have read thy petition for audience, human..." she eyed me. "Orc?" I'm sure she would have raised eyebrows, had she had any.

"Long story," I smiled.

She smiled too, by which I mean she made a frightful grimace that displayed her lower tusks. "To ask, in own words, what to be wanted."

I began, "To want to know of wingless gargoyles. To not see any in Ter Mur. To want explanation of this."

Her eyes narrowed. "To not be gargoyle. To not give outsider this information lightly." She paused a moment in thought. "To tell thee, if to agree to be as wingless gargoyle one day."

"To agree," I said.

She gestured, and my throat went numb. "To not speak, the wingless," she said -- and indeed, I could not speak. She gestured again, and four burly guards stepped forward, tossed me in a net, ... and whoosh! We were flying through the sky.

Despite being trussed up, I was able to turn and look at the ground below. So this is what it was like to fly! Everything so small it looked like an architect's model... but with things moving upon the landscape!

My wonderful flight was over all too soon. I was dumped, unceremoniously, at the feet of a big winged gargoyle who was equipped with a hoe. The guards exchanged a few words with him in gargish, and smiled. The big farmer smiled too, and waved as the guards left.

"To be Farmer Krill. To grow things," he said. "To grow things," he repeated, louder and more slowly. He pointed at some rows in the field. "To do rows." He pointed again and again. "To prepare row here, here, here." He repeated this several times, each time more loudly and more slowly.

He handed me the hoe, and gave me a quick slap. "To do rows!!"

I got the idea and got to work. I hoed, while Farmer Krill did the same at another spot in the field. After twenty minutes or so, he came back. "To be crooked! To make straight!" His face was redder, if that were possible. He slapped me, hard this time. "To make straight!" He pantomimed a straight line, then did it again, and pointed. I got to work.

Hours passed. He brought me a bit of flatbread and meat -- I was not sure what the meat was, but it had small crunchy bones in it. During this interlude, another gargoyle dropped by -- literally, from the sky. He and Farmer Krill did some hissing in gargish, then Farmer Krill brought out a bag of grain and gave it to the other gargoyle.

Farmer Krill looked at me. "To give freely to all who need." He repeated this several times, slowly.

I'd finished preparing my rows. Farmer Krill came by to inspect. I pantomimed enlarging the field, making more rows.

For a moment I thought he was going to hit me again. "To not be truly wingless one. To take from land only what to be needed," he hissed. "To live in harsh land, to be guided by Control, Passion, Diligence, to live." He faced the foothills which hid the Shrine of the Singularity, and made an odd gesture.

"To plant," he said. He handed me a small sack of seeds, and proceeded to push some into the ground, at regular intervals. "To plant," he mimicked pushing seeds into the ground, then he gave me a rough shove. I got the idea, and got to work.

Blackbirds appeared, and I saw them scratching at the ground, looking for the seeds I'd planted! I ran at them, waving my arms. Farmer Krill saw this, and threw ... a boomerang! It skimmed over the birds, frightening them, and they flew away. The weapon returned to his hand. He waved at me and mimicked pushing seeds into the ground. I got back to work.

Long day... Farmer Krill brought me a bit of a reddish tuber, and more of the flatbread. The four guards appeared in the sky, landed, and exchanged words with Farmer Krill. Unceremoniously again, I was trussed up and in the net, with Farmer Krill waving below. "Farmer Krill to have enjoyed day," I heard his voice calling.

I was dumped before the queen. She gestured, and my throat felt normal again.

"To have spent one day as wingless?" she asked.

"To have learned from virtues of Direction, Feeling, Persistence, Precision, and Achievement. To know these keep Order to survive in a harsh land," I said. I bowed low, although this was not a gargish gesture.

"To want to learn secret of no wingless?" she asked.

I shook my head. "To not need to know. To spend one day as wingless, to not truly BE wingless."

The queen smiled (the affect was very gruesome). "To have become wiser than was planned. To be pleased with thee."

She threw two things at me, which I barely, and clumsily, caught. Books -- "The Book of Family." "The Book of Administration."

==
And so I turned to go. The gargoyles -- so very much like the Britannians, and yet so very different! I was glad I'd spent a day learning about them, and glad too, that I did not have to spend the rest of my life as one of them. And I'd put to rest, in my mind, the old wives' tales. They were certainly not just people with wings. And they loved their children -- and they were sad, so very sad, so awfully sad, that the harsh conditions the Void had imposed on them meant that they could not keep their children.