• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wiki.....a new poll on the front page.

G

Here is the new front page poll.

The follow up poll and discussion is on what parts of the Wiki you use.

First, the essay question: Why ...or why not....do you use the Wiki?

Second, the multiple choice questions~~~~

I

imported_Founder

Are we allowed to reply to this? Hmm guess so!

Anyway, the reason why I never used it or why others don't use it has to do with the name "Wiki."

When I heard that there was a Wiki Page, I immediately went to Wikipedia.org but didn't find anything, assuming that it wasn't done yet. However, now I understand that "wiki" on Stratics has nothing to do with the Wikipedia at all.

Therefore, that was my reason. However, I will visit it more often now that I know where it is.

But seriously, why is it called WIKI if it has no WIKIPEDIA connection?

G

Here is the wikipedia definition of a wiki:

A wiki is software that allows users to create, edit, and link web pages easily. Wikis are often used to create collaborative websites and to power community websites. These wiki websites are often also referred to as wikis; for example, Wikipedia is often considered one of the best known wikis. [1] Wikis are being installed by businesses to provide affordable and effective Intranets and for Knowledge Management. Ward Cunningham, developer of the first wiki, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work".[2]

G

Interesting that the clear response to the question so far is that the wiki serves no useful purpose to the majority of people here.

I wonder if the "pro wiki" gang will get all their friends over here, signing up just to try and change the verdict?

G

31 - 21 isn't that great a difference, and isn't it funny that all the people that said they didn't use the wiki on question 1 didn't use the same answer on question 2..... soooooooo makes ya wonder if checking I don't use the wiki was just the easiest answer as the others didn't fit their feeling.

G

<blockquote><hr>

31 - 21 isn't that great a difference, and isn't it funny that all the people that said they didn't use the wiki on question 1 didn't use the same answer on question 2..... soooooooo makes ya wonder if checking I don't use the wiki was just the easiest answer as the others didn't fit their feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or maybe the first question was the only one answered - that's what I did.

I

imported_Mavric

<blockquote><hr>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or maybe the first question was the only one answered - that's what I did.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah me to.

I

imported_Fire Dragon

I used to take part in these polls, except the past few always comes up wtih an error to contact the admin.. Is it just me or do others have this problem too?

I

imported_Spaghetti Legs

<blockquote><hr>

I used to take part in these polls, except the past few always comes up wtih an error to contact the admin.. Is it just me or do others have this problem too?

[/ QUOTE ]

That happens to me sometimes, too. When it does, I just try again and it goes through on the second try. Your mileage may vary.

G

<blockquote><hr>

A wiki is software that allows users to create, edit, and link web pages easily. Wikis are often used to create collaborative websites and to power community websites. These wiki websites are often also referred to as wikis; for example, Wikipedia is often considered one of the best known wikis. [1] Wikis are being installed by businesses to provide affordable and effective Intranets and for Knowledge Management. Ward Cunningham, developer of the first wiki, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work".[2]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, NO! The term pre-dates the Internet! It goes all the way back to 1983!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, NO! The term pre-dates the Internet! It goes all the way back to 1983!

[/ QUOTE ]

Merriam Webster does not consider it a word.

But the Urban Dictionary has 11 listings, one being a Hawaiian word meaning quick.

All interesting factoids, but totally irrelevant to a discussion/poll about how many use TSO's Wiki.

G

Relevant to the confusion of the meaning of the word wiki, which is in turn relevant to the confusion over where to find the Stratics-replacement wiki vis-â-vis erroneously looking for it on wikipedia.org, which is in turn relevant to the question of WHY do some folks not use the the Stratics-replacement wiki, which is in turn relevant to whether or not people use it, which is indeed, your poll.

Seems like a logical enough progression of the conversation to me...

B

B Jordan

I have used the wiki before but I stopped using it. There's a lot of ideas on it, but it seems like everything goes by the dev team unnoticed and they just do their own thing anyway. So what's the point?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have used the wiki before but I stopped using it. There's a lot of ideas on it, but it seems like everything goes by the dev team unnoticed and they just do their own thing anyway. So what's the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

G

I agree the Wiki is a good idea only if the DEV'S Looked at it
There's thousands of good ideas in there!

G

I think that dev activity on the wiki slowed down at around the same rate PLAYER activity did...at first the wiki was getting A LOT of ideas added to it. Devs were leaving comments and a few ideas actually made it into the game [See: Tradeable House Deed]. After a while activity on the wiki pretty much has become nonexistant...as has dev response.

I have the feeling that if we, as players, revived the wiki - added new ideas, and CONTRIBUTED to the ideas of others, as the original plan was, the wiki would get the dev attention it once did.