• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why Not A Faction Chat Command

• Thread starter BillyDanzig
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

BillyDanzig

I have question / idea wondering if anyone else agrees .. When i join a guild i can chat with them using a guild chat option .. If i join a party i can speak with those players in my party same with alliance chat ..
Why not a faction chat system .. i love the new faction system just wondering if they ever thought of adding a faction chat system .. basically system where if your character is factioned to TB can speak to only other members in the TB faction .. I think this would be a great idea if im in Britian and i see some opposing faction members stealing Sigils i can use my faction chat and let other members of our faction come to help out .. Also think this would be a great way for an entire faction to work together to do things like spawn a harrower ..

O

Old Man of UO

It's already available.

/Guild
/Party
/Alliance
/Private

S

Sweeney

If this happened, people who complained about ghost cams would have something new to talk about.

K

Kratos Aurion

Its not a bad idea. I can just imagine the amount of us "trammies" joining factions to spam up all the pvpers side screen with "newb" "i r tram leetness" and "i r hijacked ur faction" messages :D

O

Old Man of UO

He's asking for...

/Faction, which would go ot to all members of the same faction...la
I KNOW what he was asking for. You can create a private chat channel open to invites. If you just put all faction members in an Alliance you already have it.

OTHERWISE it would also be open to ALL factions.

B

BardMal

This would greatly enhance factions I think. It would allow for chars who may have otherwise not met to communicate in their common purpose.

S

Sweeney

This would greatly enhance factions I think. It would allow for chars who may have otherwise not met to communicate in their common purpose.
Like spies who joined your faction to relay info to the opposition?

K

Kratos Aurion

Like spies who joined your faction to relay info to the opposition?
Faction chat would be optional. Not like you can't already goto www.uo.com and get a complete member/status list of each faction. And if you're a hardcore fel player it's not like you don't already camp their houses and/or know where they [opposing faction players] reside 90% of the time they're online (fel yew/spawns).

What information is their to relay?

N

Nastia Cross

How about opposing faction guild who have a 2nd account just to put a thief into your faction in order to be able to get past your fields and spy on you? Lets make it even easier for them by allowing them to read what we're saying in a Faction chat. Like one of the posters above said, if you want to chat with other members of your Faction, they should be in your alliance or Ventrillo. Otherwise, make a party.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they spy, they spy. There isn't anything that will stop them from doing that. For Christ's sake, it's a game, don't take it so damned seriously...la

D

Drawde2

How exactly do these chat functions work? I haven't played in a long time, and one of the reasons I quit was that I couldn't talk to anyone unless they were next to me, or in a party. It's boring with no one to talk to :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
/ is party chat
\ is guild chat
| is alliance chat
: is doing an emote
; is whispering
one of the brackets (is it [ ?) lets you converse with a GM when the GM asks you to talk to them in GM chat

B

BillyDanzig

Well theres always ups and downs to this im thinking it would do more good then bad .. The idea needs work but to start with free accounts and charcters under 30 days old should not be able to join factions .. Characters with less then 500 skill points also should not be allowed to join factions .. there will always be people who have multiple accounts but really you can only watch one monitor at a time .. so yeah there will always be spys but this happens in guilds and alliances already
If this chat exsisted and i say in chat anyone up for harrower first of all im not twisting anyones arms to show up thats your choice .. To pop a harrower requires a large group defenders and people to work the harrower, tenacles and true harrower.. generally since i played in large guilds with all my characters we either have someone protect the harry and give them the protection scrolls or when we have lots of members on do it our selves ..
If i wrote in chat 4 shadowlords at Yew if you like fighting at yew gate then you can show up ..
Few things to remember not everyone in factions pvps and or plays Fel if im grabbing travesty keys and need more people i can holler out in faction chat ..

Lastly remember the boy who cried wolf if johndoe says in faction chat need help at despise 2 COM members attacking me and i walk into 19 to 1 battle you think next time johndoe asks for help id go back ..

D

Drawde2

Does the guild chat always go to all the members? And do people tend to use it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it goes to all members on their guilded characters who don't turn it off (default is on). More often than not, if you are in an alliance, people tend to use Alliance chat more.

Which is why, of course, Faction chat probably would be a well-used feature if added. My experience is that, the more people that have access to a chat type, the more traffic that chat will see.

O

Old Man of UO

*sighs*

I guess most people missed it. The chat options you are asking for already exist... in KR. You can also have multiple chat channels open at the same time and use tabs to switch between conversations. Only those linked to that chat channel can see/read/message in the chat.

Hopefully, EA/Mythic will add this to the SA 2D client when it comes out so everyone can have it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sighs*

I guess most people missed it. The chat options you are asking for already exist... in KR. You can also have multiple chat channels open at the same time and use tabs to switch between conversations. Only those linked to that chat channel can see/read/message in the chat.

Hopefully, EA/Mythic will add this to the SA 2D client when it comes out so everyone can have it.
Who can set up the chat channels? Can they be password-protected? Who can see the list of available chat channels?

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sighs*

A big fat 0% of ultima's pvp playerbase uses KR which makes the fact that you can set up something similar to what the OP is asking for wholely irrelevant.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A big fat 0% of ultima's pvp playerbase uses KR which makes the fact that you can set up something similar to what the OP is asking for wholely irrelevant.
Let's be fair. 1% of the PvP player base uses KR...la

O

Old Man of UO

Not irrelevant at all. I was pointing out that it was already possible for KR, then must be possible for 2D.

And why can't you use KR for PvP? Keeping track of your party's health/ stamina/ mana and healing/curing is so much easier in KR, and once you understand the targeting it really is better than 2D. Other than vendor stocking and dressing, KR can do pretty much anything 2D can at the moment, and run as well. Except for running 3rd party programs... and cheats.. OH.. I see what you mean. *winks*

T

Turdnugget

The KR graphics blow for PvP? KR gives me a headache just sitting still. I can only imagine what it'd do running around PvPing. I only use it for Heartwood quests. If I wanted to PvP cartoon style i'd play a different game.

I agree that factions needs a global faction chat. The faction commander can send out a global faction shout, why can't the factioners?

Not everyone in the same faction is allianced and wont see the alliance chat... look at all the people on different shards in the same faction who are attack by their own faction.

Who care's about spies? They are everywhere and a faction chat wouldn't really do much. It's not like a faction is going to give every command in faction chat. You can spy w/out using chat. It's not hard to do.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not irrelevant at all. I was pointing out that it was already possible for KR, then must be possible for 2D.

And why can't you use KR for PvP? Keeping track of your party's health/ stamina/ mana and healing/curing is so much easier in KR, and once you understand the targeting it really is better than 2D. Other than vendor stocking and dressing, KR can do pretty much anything 2D can at the moment, and run as well. Except for running 3rd party programs... and cheats.. OH.. I see what you mean. *winks*
Heh heh heh... You could have a point there as it happens. The vast majority of cheaters probably couldn't live without their hacks after being with them so long.

I tried KR on sunday night to do a bit of PvP and found it impossible to fathom what was going on on the screen, it was just a big blurry mess.

I was initially excited by some of the features, like the ease of switching weapons and setting up hot keys for potions but after about an hour I gave up on it as it was just too hard to get a handle on what was going on.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no

Unless the text is over the character's head, it's not UO.

We don't need WoW style chats here. UO is the best game ever

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried KR on sunday night to do a bit of PvP and found it impossible to fathom what was going on on the screen, it was just a big blurry mess.

I was initially excited by some of the features, like the ease of switching weapons and setting up hot keys for potions but after about an hour I gave up on it as it was just too hard to get a handle on what was going on.
This. PvP is not the same as standing still to do some "epic battle" with a peerless or some such. It involves ALOT of running and often ALOT of people on the screen at one time, all of them moving mostly at a run. The 2D client has a "clean" apprearance that allows the eyes to transition to these changes and sheer volume of information on the screen much easier than the softened and somewhat "fluffy" appearance of KR.

It would be nice to be able to PvP in KR for no other reason then that the movement is more fluid and you do not tend to get stuck on sticks and trees (the number one reason I lose track of the person I am pursuing, NOT because they speedhack) ... however, there is just too much going on and not enough clarity on the KR screen to make this realistically possible.

B

BillyDanzig

no

Unless the text is over the character's head, it's not UO.

We don't need WoW style chats here. UO is the best game ever
Im not asking for a Faction CHAT box .. Im asking for a command that uses a faction chat command like the guild chat or alliance chat \ guild chat | alliance chat how about ] to speak to faction members ..
All im trying to get at here is we have a guild chat command \ which speaks to everyone in my guild to get a group of us together to do a spawn or peerless or what ever ..
Would be nice to have a chat command that i can broadcast to using ] which goes out to everyone in my faction to see if we can get together for a peerless or a spawn or ask for help pvping what ever it may be ..