• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is my mage useless?

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm vey old school when it comes to mages, but I've been toying with the following mage:
120 magery
120 eval
120 meditation
120 myticism
120 imbuing
120 resist
and I get utterly destroyed by shame elems...

Why?

1° If I don't run 'Protection', I can't get a single spell off, I'm disrupted all the time, so my magic resist and casting speed are lowered, which is not fun.

2° I can't nuke mobs like I used to years ago: explo, flame strike, finish off with Corp Por are things of the past, so I get mobs on my face and they do 30+ through 70 resists. So I end up healing instead of nuking and barely can keep up.

3° EVs have been crapified so much I have to use mysticism colossus, which means I'm on foot and I feel like a weak tamer at the end of the day (my main is bard/tamer).

I must be doing something wrong.
Please tell me I am!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That will depend on which level that you're farming.
For level 1, you shouldn't be having too much trouble unless you run into too much spawn.
Lure spawn instead of running into the middle of it. Mud pies are only vulnerable to elemental slayer instead of earth elemental slayer.
At level 2, mud elementals are vulnerable to earth elemental slayer, and so are greater earth elementals. Water elementals can be a bit troubling if you walk into too many of them.
All monsters at level 1, 2 and parts of 3 are weak to cold, so make use of that hail storm spell you have at myst against a single target using the proper slayer book and they will fall pretty quick.

Do note that clay golems don't have a slayer associated with them.

Also, regarding your build, I'd replace imbuing with focus for extra mana regeneration, and resist with wrestling for PvM.
Try to pack as much SDI as you can as well. SDI coupled with slayer books is quite mean to them monsters.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
2/6 casting, 45 DCI and -15 mage weapon could help you cast spells.
All you need to do is to cast RC then invis yourself.
I would replaced Imbuing with Focus and Resisting Spells with Spellweaving.
It's easier to do if you can fly (read Gargoyle).

Don't cast high level spells when you are at melee range.