• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why I'm embarrassed to call myself a Catskills Rp'r...

Fabulous Jac

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Firstly, I would like to say thank you to all the decent rp players on Catskills who have made my rp experiences over the years enjoyable. I stay because I love the game and have met some incredible people here.

That being said...I feel like someone needs to say something about a trend that is both embarrassing as well as quite frankly uncalled for in 99% of the situations it is showing up in...

Flutter recently mentioned this trend on a forum post about tavern sitting, where she noted that all conversations seem to point to one overly emphasized topic anymore: sex. I have to agree. All I hear about is stupid things about who's sleeping with whom, how to get into people's pants...and the most embarrassing things involve conversations and behaviors to this extent occurring in front of Devs and EMs.

Seriously...I'm embarrassed to say that I am part of a community that is mostly being known anymore for being based on sex. Knock it off. We aren't all sex crazed lunatics looking for the next new lay, the next sexual conquest, the next bragging session about being *****s. Those that are doing this...you're making the rest of us look bad, and we are sick of it. I know I am not the only one, I speak on behalf of many I have heard complaints from...I am just not afraid to spray you horny beasts with a hose and tell you to go take a walk!

What happened to good rp, rp about things like quests and issues and fun...and not about who's doing the nasty with whom and who stole who's man and blah blah blah! I don't want to hear about your stupid ERP love life...and there aren't many else who do either.

Can we please move on to other things, instead of other STD's?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
To be fair it's only a particular group doing it.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, at least you still have RP to speak of. Very little in Europa:l Or then I look from wrong places.
...Does Catskills still have many actual RP guilds up and running?

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, at least you still have RP to speak of. Very little in Europa:l Or then I look from wrong places.
...Does Catskills still have many actual RP guilds up and running?
We have a few :) Good amount of people as well

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well at least you have RP on Cats. Atlantic RP, if I can even find it has devolved to forum trolling. Or a few select people that only "RP" when the EM is around like the EM's little entourage. Real RP communities died years ago. I miss it.

Fabulous Jac

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
To be fair it's only a particular group doing it.
And I did make sure to point out there there is still viable rp *grins*. I tried very hard not to drop any names except to reference your post, so if it causes you any backlash, tell them Jac did it and I'll make sure to take care of it. I wanted to address an issue as a whole instead of start finger pointing and griefing individuals when really, this is becoming an epidemic.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is new for your shard? It's always been a 'thing' on Europa and I'd say it's not really an issue. It fits certain characters and settings.

Sure, it's bad taste to be doing it at EM events, but in player run establishments who cares? I can leave if I don't like the topic of conversation or actions that are taking place and so can you :) some like it, some don't.

I guess with a lower population it's just more noticeable now than it was 3,6 or 10 years ago. But it's always been there.

I still see plenty of RP around that has nothing to do with this.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That said, my views are from a different shard. It could be far worse and not as avoidable on your shard I suppose.

Fabulous Jac

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
This is new for your shard? It's always been a 'thing' on Europa and I'd say it's not really an issue. It fits certain characters and settings.

Sure, it's bad taste to be doing it at EM events, but in player run establishments who cares? I can leave if I don't like the topic of conversation or actions that are taking place and so can you :) some like it, some don't.

I guess with a lower population it's just more noticeable now than it was 3,6 or 10 years ago. But it's always been there.

I still see plenty of RP around that has nothing to do with this.
New, it is not. Increasing though, that's the problem. And sure, at player run things, its always an option to leave. But when it gets to the point that you can't spend 5 minutes with groups outside your own guild because that's all the conversation ever turns to, that's when it disrupts the community in a greater way. It is a lot more noticeable now. And I agree, it is extremely bad taste at EM events.
I'm not suggesting that whatever anyone chooses to do in their own houses is under scrutiny, I guess this is more just a request for some to exercise restraint and decency and dare I say common courtesy in the public domain. If your char is the sleep around, hang on everyone and make dirty jokes type, cool fine whatever...but is that all there is to your char, with no other depth at all than the list of bed mates? (global "you" being used here, not specifically asking you).

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a lot more problems on Catskills then just this............

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hereby signup to be a part of these ERP groups. Cmon ladies, I got tons of gold.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Roll Play = Acting a story line in the game.
Key word: ACTING
In 97 I was invited to rp on a few shards.. good story lines that gave plenty of room for adaptation and expantion... was great fun...
Somewhere along the way I watched both genders of Rp'ers start to "use" the rp setting for more then just roll play.
3 marrages broke up to infidelity on both sides of the isle..
5 marrages failed do to one side being rolled up in the feelings the rping was making quite plain to all who were inthe group that something was going on that was never intended. (meaning a rl mate was cheating on the other who was purely playing and it didnt go well)
3 Ladys of my aquaintance thou unmarried met and married other players who they were RP'ing with. (only bad note one was with a married man who is counted above as a spouce of a normal player.
1 married lady who coveted every single male and made a fool of her self in game and was clearly not RP'ing.. bu said she was.
Shall I go on??

Look when we allow the element of Real Life to enter game the art of RP'ing is in serious danger. Some dont know how to cut off the RL feelings and be just a actor in the game... This is one of the major factors along with the full out war of bad feelings when arguments break out over stupid stuff that in rl would never happen....

Unfortunatly the moral attitude of rping in UO has dropped so low that we as players have forgot this is not the way RPing goes.
Say something to the offending players, remind them its not allowed in game.
If that fails report it.
Look Bonnie wants Counselors back in game ... this would be something I would aprove of them monitoring and reminding those who continue to misuse the game and the guise of RP'ing. Letting them know of the failure to comply with rules.

Catskills and many other shards are guilty of misuse of RP'ing by a good deal of players.

(psst.... Many of you forget your in game actions are clear as glass. I hate to tell you some stuff can be seen and heard/seen as in text through walls)

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no one wants to date a jersey boy solus.
Listen,

I hail from Britain, not this "jersey" you speak of. I have wealth, I have power, and damn do I look sexy in my armor. My magical aura of sexiness is +10 in every stat, and gives me +20 in my abilities.

Basically, Im fricken amazing. Oh and again did I mention all my gold?

Damn girls, you are lucky i'm here.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does what people do with their own time really bother people that much? It is "their" RP, not yours. How they wish their character to act is their own choice. Unless they are doing things right in front of you, just ignore them and move on. It is not that hard of a thing to do.

Have an issue? Take it up with them privately. ICQ, PM or whatever. Take your pick.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PFFT..........(tea went flying)
Sugar I out own you.
Armor rusts ....
swords get dull ....
and men tend to go senile...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And who says RP and PvP don't have any crossover. All the PvPers are concerned about is the gender of thier opponents and who is doing who's mother or sister.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was at the meeting last night and my personal opinion it was just a group having fun (for the small time I was there). EM 's and Dev's are just normal people also portraying a role. *shrugs* While there is a group of people who do ERP that doesnt mean that's all their characters do. I also have limited experience in RL bars and taverns persay, but sex was one of the biggest subjects. It may pertain to the kid in us that gets a giggle out of a dirty word said and such but its not going to go away. Do I talk about sex and ERP all the time with my characters...? NO.... AS a matter of fact, Calli usually blushes at the word or thought and well as a few others of my chars. I have two chars though that are the complete opposite.... Krysta being my most bold at what shes says or does. I personally think to each his own as long as its not hurting anyone else. However, when you use ERP or any other means to hurt another char.... yes it all has went to far.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not involve myself in that type of role play. My characters naturally engage in sex and it can be part of their character set up --- a flirt, a sex kitten, a prostitute, a dominatrix even --- but that part of it is not something that I act out in game, I have no need to. If my character's role is a prostitute, sex is just assumed. It does not need to be played out.

~ Sue.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience such things can be exaggerated quite wildly, quite easily. Maybe I'd agree with the poster in this particular instance and maybe I wouldn't but, either way, about the worst thing that can happen is that someone posts about it on a thread of general interest like U-Hall. It serves only to hurt the community that needs to work out whatever its own issues are and helps to paint all similar communities with the same brush.

For example right now someone is reading the original post, sympathizing with it, and saying "RPers are perverts with one note personalities." And someone else is reading it and not sympathizing and saying "RPers are petty prudes."

Neither is appropriate, both will happen. Dear God, moderators, please move this to the Catskills forum. It isn't even a generic post about sex in RP which might, might, belong on the White Stag forum.

-Galen's player

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what happens when a room full of nerds finally figure out what sex is.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's what happens when a room full of nerds finally figure out what sex is.
The mere fact that anyone can play this game, let alone post about it, and not realize that he or she is a "nerd" is as baffling as it is depressing. You are not the only one to make this critical error. Far from it.

As baffling and as depressing is that this thread has not yet been moved.

-Galen's player

Tamergirl

Journeyman
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Listen,

I hail from Britain, not this "jersey" you speak of. I have wealth, I have power, and damn do I look sexy in my armor. My magical aura of sexiness is +10 in every stat, and gives me +20 in my abilities.

Basically, Im fricken amazing. Oh and again did I mention all my gold?

Damn girls, you are lucky i'm here.

*snickers* Perhaps they think it of no use ..who can compete with the love thy have for oneself..just sayin :p:heart:

Fabulous Jac

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Wow this got derailed and shows exactly what I was pointing towards quickly...

Since I guess my point got lost in the throng of nonsense that always happens to serious topics (which was, for the record, a request for common courtesy and perhaps dare I say a bit of decency in the PUBLIC spaces ...because *repeats himself* I don't care what you do in your own home...), I'll leave my icq and if anyone feels I'm finger pointing or attacking anyone specifically...you know what to do.