• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why does it cost more to buy Sovereigns in bulk than it does to buy many packs of 500?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean, it's not much more, but it is still a bit more.

I doubt it's an EA thing because Star Wars The Old Republic doesn't have this issue. Price per Cartel Coin falls quite a bit as you buy more at once. Which is how it's worked in every game I know of with an in-game store.

Just another thing we're behind the times with, along with a decent account management system?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, it's not much more, but it is still a bit more.

I doubt it's an EA thing because Star Wars The Old Republic doesn't have this issue. Price per Cartel Coin falls quite a bit as you buy more at once. Which is how it's worked in every game I know of with an in-game store.

Just another thing we're behind the times with, along with a decent account management system?
REVENUE! :D

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously?
It's 1x 49.99 vs. 10x 4.99, so you can "save" whopping 9 cent... big deal, huh?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seriously?
It's 1x 49.99 vs. 10x 4.99, so you can "save" whopping 9 cent... big deal, huh?
From stuff shown in earlier complaints, in some nations, it's not a "whopping 9 cent", but in some cases multiple dollars, because of bad coding in the conversion rates for the different entries. I think I saw one person from Europe posting a picture, where it was something like 10 PERCENT or more cheaper to buy lots of 500s compared to the equivalent single-item purchase, which in Europe where many nations have VAT taxes (and some like Denmark, that calculate additional taxes on taxes already applied from different tax laws, not the base amount), can add up to a LOT of money over time.

Nine cents is minor, compared to that kind of silliness.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone saw 4.99 thinking that 10 times that was 49.99. So I believe craftsman is quite correct. Simple math error.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:facepalm: 9, Nine, IX, whole cents and you think the sky is falling. If you are hurting that bad for 9 cents then why are you even playing a game that costs a lot more than 9 cents. So I guess you are the type of person that would log on 10 times to buy 5000 Sov at the 500 Sov price.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 9 cents, coupled with the no discount for volume purchases, is mostly just because they know they can do anything they want to, and, as was said elsewhere, the seals will still line up to be clubbed. Y'all quit buyin em, quit spending em, and you might get some changes made. But as long as it is business as usual they have no incentive to change anything

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Money is money.

Plus like I said, every game I can think of allows you to buy currency discounted when in bulk.
Well than by all means you go ahead and do 10 separate transactions to save $0.09. And like I said before if $0.09 is going to make or break your UO budget then why are you even playing an online game for or for that matter why are you even paying for the internet so you can PLAY GAMES. Are you the type of person that squeezes a penny so hard it squeals. I also have another question, did it really take you that long to realize that there wasn't really a price difference? You do understand that this has been this way from the beginning of the UO Store and you are just now figuring it out, now that is funny.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hadn't considered buying anything from the UO store before, so yes. And really, getting hung up on the 9 cents while ignoring the part about how bulk purchases should be discounted like every other game with this system?

No wonder the seal clubbing metaphor has caught on here recently.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hadn't considered buying anything from the UO store before, so yes. And really, getting hung up on the 9 cents while ignoring the part about how bulk purchases should be discounted like every other game with this system?

No wonder the seal clubbing metaphor has caught on here recently.
Yes well there are reasons why EA has been voted the WORST Gaming company 2 straight years... And has been in the top 10 on that chart for a LONG time... wasn't by accident.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:facepalm: 9, Nine, IX, whole cents and you think the sky is falling. If you are hurting that bad for 9 cents then why are you even playing a game that costs a lot more than 9 cents. So I guess you are the type of person that would log on 10 times to buy 5000 Sov at the 500 Sov price.
To me it's not so much the price or nine cents. It's about this being yet another example of EA basically looking like schmucks.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes well there are reasons why EA has been voted the WORST Gaming company 2 straight years... And has been in the top 10 on that chart for a LONG time... wasn't by accident.
Like I said, I'm not entirely sure it's EA's fault given SWTOR doesn't have the same issue of stupidity with their currency

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the entirety of UO's run, every legit item shop has been a complete debacle from the word go.

Uogamecodes.com had a habit of getting hacked or going down for weeks at a time; the Japanese store had a habit of running promotions that were never made available to the rest of the planet (without some serious hoop jumping); Origin seemingly prides itself on f#(king over UO players and generally acting like its run by toddlers; the in-game store (which is still beholden to Origin) is continues to be priced psychotically.

14941976682601735745161.jpg

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Never bought sovs before, but since the animal taming update i figured i would look into buying a mythic token to build a new tamer on atl (from cats). Still have the free 500 sovs given a while back, and only needed to buy the remaining 2k. Then i saw that crap cost $20 for 2k sovs.

What a joke. Thats nearly the same cost as two months of play time. Wish i didnt get the feeling i was getting nickeled and dimed in this game.

And yes - most in game stores offer some kind of discount for buying larger quantities.

Cant wait for the day UO has nothing to do with EA.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know I just keep thinking back to the day when we were told that they were going to "update" the account management... and we got the current account mismanagement site... then..... when we massively outcried... we were told that they were going to do something with it...... never happened...

Then we are told they are going to go to Sovereigns and this was going to improve sales and such through Origin..... NOT.

Everytime I hear something it just seems to be extremely disappointing.

Fortunately I'm not finding the new taming upgrade to be a HUGE disappointment..... I am though really disappointed in the lack of giving us some freaking stable space... it's like it would kill them to give us something....

The fact they want to charge for it really ticked me off and I'm rather glad I'm not alone. I would like to do more with the taming but I'm not going to pay money for slots especially not at $5 for 3 lame slots. 10 maybe... 3 hell no.

I'm already paying over $100 a month for UO.... that's more than my fair share. Free games along with pay once and done games are looking more and more appealing. Especially given that the normal hours I have to play everyone else is in bed... and I end up alone... and bored.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Must be a US thing, if you buy 10x 500 from UK it costs you £42.50 whereas 1x 5k costs £39.99
.we all know Americans are no good at complex tasks like maths though.....:stir:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know I just keep thinking back to the day when we were told that they were going to "update" the account management... and we got the current account mismanagement site... then..... when we massively outcried... we were told that they were going to do something with it...... never happened...

Then we are told they are going to go to Sovereigns and this was going to improve sales and such through Origin..... NOT.

Everytime I hear something it just seems to be extremely disappointing.

Fortunately I'm not finding the new taming upgrade to be a HUGE disappointment..... I am though really disappointed in the lack of giving us some freaking stable space... it's like it would kill them to give us something....

The fact they want to charge for it really ticked me off and I'm rather glad I'm not alone. I would like to do more with the taming but I'm not going to pay money for slots especially not at $5 for 3 lame slots. 10 maybe... 3 hell no.

I'm already paying over $100 a month for UO.... that's more than my fair share. Free games along with pay once and done games are looking more and more appealing. Especially given that the normal hours I have to play everyone else is in bed... and I end up alone... and bored.
Shhh, you're supposed to be placated by the fabulous upcoming 20th anny party.....shhh...that's supposed to keep you quiet until then.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shhh, you're supposed to be placated by the fabulous upcoming 20th anny party.....shhh...that's supposed to keep you quiet until then.
While I do intend to go to said Party... and I am all signed up ready to go reservations all in order seats set... I have no intention of keeping quiet.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

It is not much unless you live in Brazil.
Considering an exchange rate of 3.2 BRL per 1 USD:
500 sovs - 14.90 BRL ~= 4.66 USD
1000 sovs - 39.90 BRL ~= 12.46 USD
2000 sovs - 79.90 BRL ~= 24.97 USD
5000 sovs - 169.90 BRL ~= 53.09 USD

So it costs 6.50 USD less to buy 10 500 sovs than to buy a single 5,000 sovs pack.
And if you are dumb, you would buy 5 1,000 sovs pack for 62.30 USD, paying 9.21 USD more for it!

I cannot fathom how stupid this is.