• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do you hang on to the classic 2d client

M

mAxius

Why?

what advantages does it offer you?

why did you refuse to try Kingdom reborn client?

why do you refuse to try the enhanced client?

what is needed to get you to move off the classic 2d client?

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2D does the trick in in PvP (main playstyle) and secondly in PvM. I'll switch over to the SA client once I can remap any hotkey I want (incl. Mouse Scroll) and once EA/Mythic has integrated UOA/the other program's utilities into the new client.

I'd also like to be able to record small macros in the SA client.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what advantages does it [Legacy Client] offer you?
  • Works on stone-aged computers (i.e. hardware older than 6 years).
  • People got used to it and don't want to learn something new, no matter how good it is.
  • People don't like the Enhanced Client graphics (it is a matter of taste, and it could have been done much better).

I did try for 3 weeks, but had to give up due to the following reasons:
  • Too many bugs and technical issues, causing disadvantages in game (especially in PvP and PvM).
  • Technical issues forcing me to use the Legacy Client for certain tasks (house deco, house placement and many others).
  • Graphical glitches that just looked wrong (wrong perspectives, wrong proportions etc.)

I've been using the Enhanced Client exclusively since 4 months. It is my favorite client. It can fully replace the Legacy Client plus UOAssist, technically. In fact, it has a lot more features which are VERY useful and handy.

I think the Enhanced Client needs lots of technical and graphical improvements to convince the majority of players. However, there will always be players who will threaten to rather quit UO than having to learn something new, no matter how good it is.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most people have used it for so long in my opinion. They are resistant to change and they do not want to upgrade their computers. Hardcore gaming like Lineage II for example, you have to have a top of the line processor.

G

GFY

Well... I've spent a long time playing this game, I've spent ten years (off and on) learning and improving my game play to the point where I feel at least competent in everything I attempt to do. Now you want me to re-learn a game I've been playing for 10 years? I've seen friends playing the new improved client, they have trouble opening their back packs, can't walk through gates, crash at the worst moments, lose stuff in their containers... and all this is improving?

I understand why uo has to change, the data stream is corrupt with cheats, hackers, and scripters. Since the old client can be hacked with ease there is a definite need for change. But if I have to learn to play my old friend UO all over again, why not just move on and try something else. There's this game called WOW, and I hear it's quite popular.

Lastly I feel that most of the protests are coming from the hackers and cheaters that the game is trying to eliminate. There are people out there that make quite the good living selling uo items and they use the hacks, scripts, and cheats the most. If your making quite a good living playing a game and the game is going to change and take all that away, wouldn't you be quite vocal about stopping the change?

I'll give the new client a try, at some point, but if it's a buggy, laggy, game with lots of crashes, and it has a big learning curve... I'll probably just move on.

B

Beer_Cayse

I was in closed beta and played it on a "stone-aged" (thanks, Hawkeye!) system and a dual-core one with 4 GB RAM and 512MB video.

The graphics - altho better than KR - hurt my eyes after a bit due to fuzziness/lack of definition. SA Enhanced is easier on the system resources than KR and almost par with 2D.

But the graphics turn me off. I've seen better definition to world graphic art in DAoC before Trials of Atlantis was released. NWN and even Icewind Dale are better definition graphics.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the 2d because at this point in time I really don't feel like learning and trying to get used to a new client. If I wanted pretty graphics and stuff like that I probably wouldn't be playing UO.

Xanth de Orlig

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I wanted pretty graphics and stuff like that I probably wouldn't be playing UO.
The nail has been hit on the head as they say ;-)

I tried out the enhanced client fer a bit ... and granted the hotbars were nice, the packs and paperdoll turned me off .. not to mention the difficulty when customizing houses ... which is really, i think, why i still play this game ;-) or at least why i have an ungodly amount of accts open ....

I liked the 2d set up and graphics when i started ... and haven't been enticed to move on yet with anything better ...

T

Torin Galka

Give me map features like UOAM and I would switch to the new client. Until then I don't even have the interest in upgrading my two accounts.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The features that aren't in the 3d client.
Namely
Targeting Reticule (old style, not the new 2d style) allows 18 tile target range, When the target runs off screen it keeps the target when it comes back on screen. New targeting systems don't include the range or keep target features.

Macros! I haven't tried the new import (thats what kept me from even attempting to try) but I've used my macro's for 10 years don't want to re key them into a new system or find out which ones don't work. I swear the dev's have no idea how the 2d macro's work, its a horrible trek to get them working the same with the new client.

Video Monster 2d client doesn't require me to spend a couple hundred dollars on a video card. currently running an ati 300 with 128 megs of ram. Slow with most games but playing, just can't handle it with UO 3d.

all around similarity Soo many cool features added to the new client, but many of the old features seem to be lacking or work horribly. Targeting, they added cycle both ways yay! but left out the ranges and tracking. Backpacks are the coolest things in UO, what happened to them in the new client. Items are tiny, they don't organize nicely etc etc, and no I don't want that square grid layout. Too many things to count, developers don't "play" the game, I think the new client is super for new players horrid for old "skilled"/"accustom" players.

The little things we all love aren't in the new client :(

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In one sentence: Your statements are mostly incorrect:

Targeting Reticule (old style, not the new 2d style) allows 18 tile target range, When the target runs off screen it keeps the target when it comes back on screen. New targeting systems don't include the range or keep target features.
Health bars do not disappear in Enhanced Client, when targets run off screen. They did in KR though. You can see whether the target is out of range by the color of the circle around it (Legacy Client doesn't offer that).

Macros! I haven't tried the new import (thats what kept me from even attempting to try) but I've used my macro's for 10 years don't want to re key them into a new system or find out which ones don't work. I swear the dev's have no idea how the 2d macro's work, its a horrible trek to get them working the same with the new client.
Enhanced Client macros offer so much more functionality that you really should consider them. Change whole suits with 1 mouseclick in 1 second. Poisoning a blade. Store targets. Repeating macros. And many many more. Take a look before you judge!

Video Monster 2d client doesn't require me to spend a couple hundred dollars on a video card. currently running an ati 300 with 128 megs of ram. Slow with most games but playing, just can't handle it with UO 3d.
It does not require an expensive video card. I have a $50 card with 256 MB, and it runs smooth as glass.

all around similarity Soo many cool features added to the new client, but many of the old features seem to be lacking or work horribly. Targeting, they added cycle both ways yay! but left out the ranges and tracking. Backpacks are the coolest things in UO, what happened to them in the new client. Items are tiny, they don't organize nicely etc etc, and no I don't want that square grid layout. Too many things to count, developers don't "play" the game, I think the new client is super for new players horrid for old "skilled"/"accustom" players.
Targeting, see above. Size of items, adjustable (UI Scale). The only thing I agree about is that the Legacy Backpack was done very poorly and it is a pain in the back to arrange items here. But this will be fixed in the near future.

As I said above: Most people do not WANT to adapt, mostly because of prejudice.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes I use the new client, sometimes I use the old client.

Typically, when I have to deal with a larger group, I switch to the old client due to ... issues (all reported several times. I report the party-bars-gets-stuck-to-my-cursor bug every couple of weeks just to let them know it's still an issue).

If I could run SA out of full screen mode, then I wouldn't use any client but the new one.

The KR client had a couple of game-breaking bugs which were never resolved, so I never stuck with it, despite giving it the ol' college try.

But the main reason many people stick with the old client is that they're used to it. Old dogs, new tricks and all. When you've been doing things one way for 10 years plus, it's difficult to change.

Y

yorky

It works properly

I didnt, only just returned.

I didn't, every 10th or so step the client freezes for between 1 and 30 seconds.

A working Enhanced Client that doesnt freeze up every 10th or so step.

I have a pretty good computer, dual core, 3 gig of ram, 8600GT with 512MBs.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yorky, have you updated your DirectX (which is NOT part of windows update - got to go download the end-user runtime at microsoft) and video drivers?

Every case I've seen with a machine with specs similar to yours, where they complained of such issues, was on machines where one or the other hadn't been updated since the machine ws assembled.

O

ouguru

I started playing in 99 with 2d. I will play in 2d until they quit supporting it then i'm done.
I don't need a new client and just think of all they could have done for the 2d client if they wouldn't have wasted all these resources on all these other clients. Anyone who is looking for graphics in UO is wasting there time. Its more than just eye candy with this game.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Graphically, I prefer the look of the classic client. The enhanced looks very close to the classic graphics, but it looks fuzzy. And the added bonus/convenience UOA provides.

With UOAssist it has a superior macro ability over any of the other clients.

I didn't refuse to use it. Up until they announced it's demise last week I still had it installed on my PC. It just didn't handle well for me. The graphics were lacking, it was too much of a resource hog, the map looked horrible, it was unstable on my system, and UO classic with UO still out performed it as far as ease of use was concerned.

I don't. I have it installed, and was just using it last night. It's a huge improvement over KR, but still lacks the macro system I get with UOA, and the graphics look fuzzy. It's tolerable for short periods, but I couldn't spend more than an hour playing it.

A client that gives me the crispness of the classic art, and the built in function of UOA. Mainly the ease of recording macro's. But also the vendor agent, the sell agent, the organizer agent, the dress/undress container option, the ability to track my skill changes, etc. The list goes on and on. It's possible EA could do it, but I doubt they will.

R

ratt30

I started playing UO in '98. I actually like the 2D client. I'm not playing this game for the graphics. If I wanted a graphically intensive game I would be playing WoW. I've tried KR and didn't like it. I'll give SA a shot, but I'm probably going to stick with the 2D client until they stop supporting it.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on 2D since 2001. I have got used to it, also I will not leave from it.

About KR & SA - i don't like this trash. Engine, graphics, UI and etc. - sux.

Third dawn - dead
KR - dead
SA - will be dead :next:

V

Vhyle

The 2D client is tried and true, simply put. It functions well, isn't taxing in the least on hardware, and it isn't glitchy as hell like KR is. I tried KR, and yes it looks better, but I prefer function over form, so it loses the race, big-time. In the 30 minutes I played the KR client, I encountered more glitches than I expected. No thanks.

Besides, the 2D client is nostalgic!

I haven't tried the enhanced client yet, because I've yet to purchase SA.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The enhanced client has nothing to do with the expansion. You can run it right now.

K

Kazar

I've been playing for 8 years and have played 2D for 6 of those years. I just like it.

A

Adora

Why?

The 2D client is better. May be subjective, but for me, it is just better. The fact that a lot of the art is better in 2D though is *not* subjective, but is simple truth.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Graphically, I prefer the look of the classic client. The enhanced looks very close to the classic graphics, but it looks fuzzy. And the added bonus/convenience UOA provides.

With UOAssist it has a superior macro ability over any of the other clients.

I didn't refuse to use it. Up until they announced it's demise last week I still had it installed on my PC. It just didn't handle well for me. The graphics were lacking, it was too much of a resource hog, the map looked horrible, it was unstable on my system, and UO classic with UO still out performed it as far as ease of use was concerned.

I don't. I have it installed, and was just using it last night. It's a huge improvement over KR, but still lacks the macro system I get with UOA, and the graphics look fuzzy. It's tolerable for short periods, but I couldn't spend more than an hour playing it.

A client that gives me the crispness of the classic art, and the built in function of UOA. Mainly the ease of recording macro's. But also the vendor agent, the sell agent, the organizer agent, the dress/undress container option, the ability to track my skill changes, etc. The list goes on and on. It's possible EA could do it, but I doubt they will.
Sorry to take your post, but you just said, to a "T" why I won't use the new client all the time.

Give me all the graphics of the old client and the ease of UOA (record macro) and I would use it a lot more and with time only it.

Till then UO Clasic and UOA for the win. 12 yrs and still going.

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried the new client tonight for the first time. I did NOT enjoy it. I was spastic, and confused the entire time.

T

The Illustrious Crow

Although my computer meets the requirements, there must be some kind of hardware incompatibility issue with the enhanced clients (I think with my soundcard). I have never been able to run the 3d, KR, or SA clients without a huge problem with sound and graphics. They run at less than 1 FPS and it's completely unplayable for me.

I may switch to SA if/when I get a new computer, but for now the 2d client is the only thing that works for me.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) use to it
2) any new client will most likely be abondened by EA
3) UOA
4) Need I say more?

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see these threads all over every time a new client pops.
At least this one every other post isn't claiming 2d users all cheat.
I have tried third dawn, betas kr and Sa, Tried Wow,DDO, many other of the new 'kool' games.
Predjudice.. hmm. No
I just dont like having to use 2-5 diff keys and a mouse to walk to the bank,open my pack, and drop something on the ground.
I like 2d because it is simple to use, easy to relearn if you take a break, easy to teach a pal or your kid.(mine is 7 and pvp's. Go figure).
What will make me quit 2d? Take it away.
Of course there goes 13 bucksx4x12 months. See that 600+bucks Ea? gone.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why?

It has been my constant companion for 12 years. I will NOT be forced onto any other!

It does all I ask or need.

It sucked.

2D aint broke so I wont mess with it.

Not one Darned Thing!!!

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using an old computer that can't run the new client, my good computer broke and I'm not going to spend $$ on a new one right now just for a game. Though I look forward to the day when I can try the new client.

P

Phacioco

Well, I won't ever play another client as the 2d client. In fact, I have not even seen the new client. Didn't know there were two new clients (Kingdom Reborn and Enhanced?). Nevertheless, the graphics could a hundred times better than in the 2D Client - I won't change.

The main reason: I love the old client. I dearly love it! It reminds of the old times, it reminds me of being a teenager and playing Ultima 6, it reminds me of being a young adult while playing Ultima 7, it reminds me of the old Ultima Online times, shortly said: it reminds of a better time :) And yes: I like living in the past (that would have been the reason for me studying classical archaeology, I think :).

So, I understand the necessity of an new client, to attach new people. But I have not a single reason to change! I am 100 % content with the old client and I can't imagine a finer graphics, or a graphics that would have been made with more love than that of the 2d client.

Sorry, for my poor english.

W

WayneofAtlantic

Why?

Call me old fashion but if it's not 2d it ain't UO to me, and I never would have cancelled my account if the word was that they were not going to offer the 2d client when KR went live.

The advantages to me were huge. In KR everything looked blurry in the outside world. In 2d everything is crisp and sharp in contrast and that trumped any new graphics coming out for my old aging eyes.

I did try KR. Hated it.

Haven't tried the new client because I haven't upgraded yet. Plan to.

As stated previously, to me if its not 2d it ain't UO.

T

Tazar

Call me old fashion but if it's not 2d it ain't UO to me, and I never would have cancelled my account if the word was that they were not going to offer the 2d client when KR went live.

The advantages to me were huge. In KR everything looked blurry in the outside world. In 2d everything is crisp and sharp in contrast and that trumped any new graphics coming out for my old aging eyes.

I did try KR. Hated it.

Haven't tried the new client because I haven't upgraded yet. Plan to.

As stated previously, to me if its not 2d it ain't UO.
The client and the expansion are not related. You can try the new client at any time without upgrading.

I know many die-hard 2D'ers that are giving the new client a hard look - and they seem to like what they see so far!

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure you do Taz and I am not one of them. Until they give me an option to have all my precious art the same as its always been I JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS, er um I mean Crappy art... the original artists rocked the socks off of who ever they got working now and it makes me I'll looking at what happened to my poor dragons and such.

M

MeganSmiles

I use the 2d because at this point in time I really don't feel like learning and trying to get used to a new client. If I wanted pretty graphics and stuff like that I probably wouldn't be playing UO.
Could not have said it better. If they could come up with something that didn't look so terrible and wasn't so full of glitches, I would be tempted to switch but so far, not so good with the new clients.

Paps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I myself like the look of 2-d. Allways have. hen it first came out there were many games allready with 3-d looks that were better than UO. Changing its look too dramatcaly will not draw in more people than it will push away.
I remember when KR was rolled out and nicknamed it "Kingdom Rebugged"
it was a horrid client and imo still is.The SA client looks like crap imo as did KR. The rollout of SA was a huge improvement over the KR however i will not be using it. I like the look of 2-d and if a client doesnt offer that look then its not UO. [the old 3-d client i played a bit but i rember it moved items in pack when i`d switch back to 2-d]
If EA wants 2-d users to change clients i think they would have to
1.-make it LOOK like 2-d [no way around this people,,get over it]
2.-make it work with uao or have it built into the client [ALL the same features]
3.-make it work with auto-map or have it built into the client [ALL the same features]
4.-make it work with older computers [not a resource hog]
5.-make it non buggy in its rollout [SA release = acceptable,KR release = unacceptable]
============================================================
about the only thing as far as looks go with 2-d it would be nice if many of the monsters that look the same but are merely colored different [ev/poison ellys] would look different but in the 2-d style.
I`m not sure about this but i wonder how smoother if at all the game would run if the clients were seperated by server,,as in an all 2-d server and all SA client servers. Not sure if all the servers have to handle is locations or not but i`m going on the thought of dealing with 2 different clients on lord knows how many O.S. could be affecting server side lag.
I myself have a bandwidth limit on my isp so huge patches and lots of info transferred are completely out of the question for me.Plus changing isp is NOT an option [if you feel like spending the half million $ to run cable to my area then you can talk] even on 2-d i barely stay within my bandwidth limits and thats without sharing any music files or watching any youtube,ect.
So if EA were to pull the 2-d plug they indeed would lose me as a paying customer.[and no,i don`t make a living off of UO or run cheats to pvp]

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've seen friends playing the new improved client, they have trouble opening their back packs, can't walk through gates, crash at the worst moments, lose stuff in their containers... and all this is improving?
I was fortunate in a way, I was away from UO for almost two years, and when I came back I figured the break was a good opportunity to try something new, because I was rusty with the 2D client as well. I'm glad I did.

I've had some issues with stability, and graphical glitches, and I have some movement issues due to some stupidity on the part of the enhanced client's design, but overall, it is much better than the 2D client.

It is more stable, especially when you run it in full screen mode. There are things you can do with it that you simply can't with the 2D client. I'll list a few.

1. Instant dress and equip. You can make macros that will instantly redress you with your full suit. It isn't like UOA where you redress one piece at a time, it is like what happens when you loot your corpse, it is instant. And if you have forgotten to change one piece in the macro, or left a piece behind, the macro won't get hung up and leave you half dressed. If you don't have a piece on you, it will simply ignore it and dress you with what you have on you. This is a bit of a two edged sword, but for the most part it is a good thing.

2. You move faster. As long as your ping isn't horrible movement is faster. You can move at top speed without the use of a cheat, and you are less affected by lag, and you move through obstacles in every direction without getting stuck (in the 2D client this only happens along one axis of movement). This advantage cannot be overstated in pvp.

3. Did I mention it is more stable? Since I switched to full screen I have yet to crash. I used to dread certain sounds in the 2D client, because it very often was the precursor to a crash (pet death sounds, and death sounds in general). I still cringe when I hear those sounds, but that is just from my years of playing the 2D client.

4. You have a fully up to date map on all facets and in every area.

5. Healers show themselves on your map automatically when you are dead, as does your corpse after you have been resurrected.

6. The UOA macro functionality has some advantages and can do some things that the Enhanced Client macro functionality can't do, but the Enhanced Client macro functionality can do some things that the UOA macro functionality can't, so it's a bit of a wash. You can actually insert one line scripts into macros.

7. Full widescreen screen support. The game play area is fully zoomable, and you can resize it to your hearts content.

8. Right click to loot items off corpses. No more clicking and dragging.

9. A much more powerful and flexible targeting system.

10. Moddable UI. I love mods. Well there are mods available now for the enhanced client. Different icons, different looks for your desktop. If you have the time and skills you can mod it to your hearts content, and if you don't, there are some very nice mods out there that should suit just about any mood when it comes to appearances and others that improve the functionality and usefulness of the UI.

These are just the advantages I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. The KR client looked great for the most part, but it was buggy and unstable. This is not the KR client. I gave up on the KR client and continued to use the 2D client, but if I was ever forced to go back to the 2D client now, there would be a very painful process of adjustment, and my game would be negatively affected.

There is another thing. If you are used to the 2D client, there is enough familiarity in the graphics and options that the enhanced client actually feels like the same game. The KR client was so different that it didn't feel like UO to me. One of the biggest bugaboos for me with the KR client was that you couldn't arrange items in containers, vendors especially, in the KR client so they could be viewed in the 2D client. The enhanced client doesn't have this problem. The legacy container mode works as it should and you will see the contents of containers in legacy mode the same as you would see them in the 2D client.

R

RollinTheTweed

I'll stick with 2d until UO's end, and if they do away with 2d for good before it's end - I'll quit with 2d. Anything outside of UO's 2d is an abortion, it doesn't look like UO, and doesn't have the feel of UO.

It's not that I don't like 3dish games, but if I wanted to play them I'd play a 3d game that was meant to be 3d, UO is just plain ugly when not running the classic look.

L

LSRemy

i must agree with with the above poster on how if it "is not 2D it is not UO". I share the same sentiments. There is something magical about that 2D look that is unlike anything else. IMO it just doesn't look right in 3D, it looks like any other regular game out there, when it is not. The 2D look gives it a classic, nostaligic look that is priceless and irreplaceable. Consider it to be my security blanket if you will. :thumbsup:

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried the other clients. Don't like 'em... don't like the graphics, style, or interface. I love using UOAM, UOAssist, etc. I have my main desktop computer that runs Age of Conan at max settings with no lag but the newer UO clients still run like crap, run choppy and laggy. I don't feel that I should be required to tweak settings to run a 12 year old game smoothly on such a system.

My laptop runs the 2d client like butter. Any other UO client runs so badly it's not even funny. Laptop is WinXP Pro, 4GB RAM, 512MB video. I shouldn't have to make any changes or tweaks to run a 12 year old game, and I'm not going to.

I like the 2d client. It's the client I've always used. I've played off and on since beta. If I wanted something else, I wouldn't be playing UO. I don't play UO for the pretty graphics... I play it because it's the most complex and developed MMORPG in existence. For pretty graphics, I play Age of Conan.

J

jfkeach

THE only reason I am stuck on 2d, is that the 3d versions, including new Enhanced client, make me physically ill. I get motion sickness from the screen. That is one reason UO is the only computer game I play. It still has 2d.

I have a xbox 360, and I can't play anything on it. When my daughter wants to play, I go watch tv somewhere else, cant sit and watch her do it.

M

maroite

If I could run SA out of full screen mode, then I wouldn't use any client but the new one.
Is this just a problem you're having? I run the SA EC in windowed mode just fine... :x

2D does the trick in in PvP (main playstyle) and secondly in PvM. I'll switch over to the SA client once I can remap any hotkey I want (incl. Mouse Scroll) and once EA/Mythic has integrated UOA/the other program's utilities into the new client.

I'd also like to be able to record small macros in the SA client.
Huh? You CAN do more with hot keys in the EC than you can in the 2D client... Make sure the "Push Enter to Talk" setting is on, and you can literally map hotkeys to any key on your keyboard without getting the gibberish hotkey spam typing.

I have hotkeys mapped to "u" "l" "w" "f" and many other plain letter keys. Note, that I am not using ctrl or alt to access them.

IF 2D had a "Push Enter to Talk" option, I might actually use it more, because I could hot key my keys the way I want. I can not stand having to push ctrl + <another key> or alt + <another key>

I see these threads all over every time a new client pops.
At least this one every other post isn't claiming 2d users all cheat.
I have tried third dawn, betas kr and Sa, Tried Wow,DDO, many other of the new 'kool' games.
Predjudice.. hmm. No
I just dont like having to use 2-5 diff keys and a mouse to walk to the bank,open my pack, and drop something on the ground.
I like 2d because it is simple to use, easy to relearn if you take a break, easy to teach a pal or your kid.(mine is 7 and pvp's. Go figure).
What will make me quit 2d? Take it away.
Of course there goes 13 bucksx4x12 months. See that 600+bucks Ea? gone.
?? I got to the bank using my mouse. I say "bank" and my bank opens. No clue what you were trying to do, but the game for the most part plays exactly the same way.

Also, do the kid a favor and make them learn the new client, as its interface is pretty much standard among games now, and teaching them the old client would only be hurting their progress as no game I know of uses that interface BUT UO 2D.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
THE only reason I am stuck on 2d, is that the 3d versions, including new Enhanced client, make me physically ill. I get motion sickness from the screen. That is one reason UO is the only computer game I play. It still has 2d.

I have a xbox 360, and I can't play anything on it. When my daughter wants to play, I go watch tv somewhere else, cant sit and watch her do it.
You aren't the only person that has this problem. Certain full screen 3D games will do this to me, but luckily I was able to play through it, and it eventually went away. The 3D versions of UO never affected me that way though.

L

Lord Gabriel

The main reason I went back to the 2d client was that KR kept crashing on me, keep in mind this is a machine I can play WoW on with graphics at max and have no crash/lag issues. So that was a big pain when doing spawns etc... to have random crashes. Another big issue was the way bags are used in the KR client, I am not a huge fan of everything being in its own "box" I prefer the way 2d handles it. I also am attached especially to my pets on my tamer, they just look better in 2s imho.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The main reason I went back to the 2d client was that KR kept crashing on me, keep in mind this is a machine I can play WoW on with graphics at max and have no crash/lag issues. So that was a big pain when doing spawns etc... to have random crashes. Another big issue was the way bags are used in the KR client, I am not a huge fan of everything being in its own "box" I prefer the way 2d handles it. I also am attached especially to my pets on my tamer, they just look better in 2s imho.
This isn't the KR client, this is the enhanced client. It is more stable than the 2D client, and you can configure it to use the exact same containers as the 2D client, in the same way. But I'm with you on the pets. For the most part the critters still look better in the 2D client. The animals, like horses, bears and wolves, look terrific in the enhanced client, but dragons still look better in the 2D client.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't the KR client, this is the enhanced client. It is more stable than the 2D client, and you can configure it to use the exact same containers as the 2D client, in the same way. But I'm with you on the pets. For the most part the critters still look better in the 2D client. The animals, like horses, bears and wolves, look terrific in the enhanced client, but dragons still look better in the 2D client.
I, too, prefer the Enhanced Client, but I have to disagree:
The EC is far from stable, it regularly lags and then crashes when you have multiple area spells on your screen, for example when fighting creatures like the Slasher of Veils.
You can configure the client using Legacy Containers, but they are not really usable. You cannot precisely place items into the Legacy Container, and the contents of this container look blurred.
I personally prefer the EC creature artwork, with some exceptions. For example, compare the size of reptile creatures: Wyrm is bigger than Dragon. Dargons are too small. Ancient Wyrm is way too small. Drakes look like little lizards.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything about the EC client on my computer is slow, to include the mouse moving around, character moving, moving windows.

I need to wait to get a new computer before I switch.

Oh, and I am just used to the classic client and how it works/looks.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer the enhanced client.

I like the new sysyem that allows me to just hit one button to pull off a macro.

I screw myself up sometimes when trying to talk. I forget to hit enter first most of the time and fire off macroes by accident a lot but I'm improving :)

There's just two things I want bad in the enhanced client.

1. A UO RUDDER program that'll work with the enhanced client's sytem.

2. coordinates shown on the small map.

The only time I use the classic client now is when I am using a boat.

#1&2 would bring me into enhanced mode 100% of the time.

I

Ivorythorn

I play on 2D since 2001. I have got used to it, also I will not leave from it.

About KR & SA - i don't like this trash. Engine, graphics, UI and etc. - sux.

Third dawn - dead
KR - dead
SA - will be dead :next:
Nope, the Enhanced Client will be around for a long time. Many people like it, and think it's better than the classic client, with UOA and UOAM, but you are entitled to your opinion.

J

jkman

Cuz my computer can't process 3d that well. The character models also looked a lot better in 2d.

S

SUPRsalad

1. Because we aren't all rich-kids with nice computers.
2. Because 3d graphics are dumb looking.
3. Because the 2d client is nostalgic for most of us who have played a long time.
4. Because a different client is like playing a different game.
5. Because lame 3d graphics remind me of the 90's.
6. Because 2d is awesome. It doesn't need to have 'awesome' graphics to be a great game.
remember Zelda? Remember mega-man? If someone told me they were going to re-make all my favorite NES games with a new 'awesome' 3d rendering, I'd tell them they have no soul, and that 3d rendering is no match for nostalgia.

In other words, we play 2d because WE LIKE IT! EA's failed attempt at increasing player base FAILS because if people wanted to play a game that looked like that, they WOULD.. Theres a plethora of them.

Quit with this.. Honestly, if they just spent half the energy it took to make that ******** client, on making the 2d client better, their existing player base would be MUCH happier. . . (but they never asked us.. they just went ahead and blew 1.2 million$)

EA needs to forget about getting more players.. It won't happen. They need to take care of the players that they have, before we ALL end up on a free-shard.. (like most already have) Or, another game altogether.

Okay, just to be a sport, I'll stop condecending you now, and entertain the idea of just trying the client..

Just answer me this one question:

Can you set 'last target' and 'target self' to mousewheel up, and mousewheel down?'

If the answer to this question is 'no', you can forget about it..

edit: You want to 'fix' UO? fix 2d. Implement some of these 'cool' features that the 3d offers. i.e. crafting gumps, enter-to-talk etc..
THEN, they should go ahead and just SELL UO to a company that gives a **** about what their loyal players want.. Not the over-head agenda of the EA executives..
THEN, they should buy UOautomap from whoever owns it, and start supporting it..
Done deal.. You might not see a huge increase in player base, but at least you won't see 10 year vets throwing in the towel..