• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do some Replicas cost so much when they wear out ?

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they didn't, 120 scrolls would be some common you'd throw it on the ground as junk.
Agreed. :mf_prop:

Makes people go out to Fel, stimulates PvP, and gives the Teddy Bears something to chance for. Rather everything being handed to them, pretty boring if you ask me.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they didn't, 120 scrolls would be so common you'd throw it on the ground as junk.

I can't see why this would be a bad thing..............

Actually, it would be a wonderfull thing for the game, as I see it.

Why ?

Because it would mean that all, or most players, are on an equal footing (all equally scrolled up) and, therefore, competing with each other ONLY or mostly, thanking to their real (not in game) combat ability and NOT because they are more scrolled in game...............

Of course, there is then also the other story about UO being item heavily based and no longer skill based which is, as I see it, a source of inbalance among players competing with each other. But that, is another story, unfortunately.......

C

Coyt

Some Replicas can cost a whole lot and they are armor which takes damage.

Since their durability is limited, and wears out with repairs, eventually through their use they go..."poof"........

Now, since they wear out, how come they cost so many millions gold points anyways ?
some with many more millions think its a fair price and buy it,
as long an item get sold it must be the right price, or a good price,

personly i dont buy things that make a hole in my goldstack

S

Serine

I can understand, but then please explain to me why I saw on Atlantic on a couple of vendors a Jade Armband [Replica] at something around 90 millions gold.

This Replica spawns regularly though at a reduced drop rate (so cannot be considered a rare), and its modifiers are Hit Chance Increase 10%, Defense Chance Increase 10%, Swing Speed Increase 5%, Poison Resist 20%.

Now, unless I misunderstood something, can't a player who has imbuing skill and resources just imbue a regular bracelet with these 4 modifiers at those intensities for quite a lot less than 90 million gold and get practically the same thing as far as its effectivity in combat goes ?

Or am I understanding something wrong here ?
Jade Armband has SSI and can be Imbued and its alot wanted in the pvp community . People even stand in que to buy theese from traders and paying up to a 100 Mil . And if i am not totaly misstaking its a drop from new champion spawn in the abbyss ? And as new replica there still aint many in game. And after imbue the item is 15 HCI - 15 DCI - 5 SSI and 25 DI/8LMC etc

A

Aristillus

What do you want to do in this game popps? Power scrolls are to hard to get, Replicas are to hard to get, cry...cry...cry. Most people I know like this game because it is challenging. Test Center is that way-----> You will love it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lastly from the sound of it you seem to think replicas aren't good cause they can wear out. That being said I don't really understand why you even care. I mean from the sound of it you won't be buying one even if you could afford one so why all the whining and dribbling nonsense about them when you apparently don't even want them cause they can wear out after YEARS of use.....

Well, I do not think for a split second that what matters is what is important for me.

I think that what matters is what is important for Ultima Online as a game.

The real question is, IMHO, is the current status quo where expensive gear wins fights because of the way combat is dealt with (modifiers bonuses) good for Ultima Online as a game ?

Well, I happen to think that no, the current status quo is not good for the game itself.

Why ?

Because it makes it harder for new players approaching the game the first time to be able to be competitive with existing players unless they have the money and spend it or they have large time to powergame and catch up with existing players.

What I am concerned with, is seeing new players burned out from seeing the task of catching up (competing on par) with existing players, a task either too expensive or too time consuming for their tastes.

I want to see new players come to UO and the more the bettter.

I think graphics is only part of the problems. I think that the difficulties and time required to become truly competitive with existing players also is a big part of the proboems. Yes, even with imbuing and Faction artifacts in the game.

Imbuing and Faction artifacts have been a good move in the right direction, IMHO, but more needs be done to make new players be able to catch up with existing players faster so that they can truly be able to compete on an equal footing in a reasonable time making the game more challenging for everyone regardless from what their gear, weapons or wealth might be.

Ideally, in my view, one's own gear, wealth or weaponry should have a minimal effect on combat outcome. The determining factors should be a player's combat ability, not what one wears or swings or how much gold points one might have to spend to get gear or weapons determinant for combat outcome........

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Age of Shadows came out almost 7 years ago. February 2003.

You are just realizing that UO has since then been an item-based game?

The situation is a lot better now than it was for AoS's first year or two of existence. Why complain now? And why pick Replicas as a target?

Replicas have an important advantage in that they can be obtained from actual gameplay, and characters wit skills only in the 70s and 80s can hunt champs in a group, do decently, get gold, gain skill along the way, find better equipment (from looting corpses), and oh by the way, have a very good chance of getting a Replica of their own....For use, or for sale.

The biggest of many problems with your argument is that it's actually anywhere from 5 to 10 arguments, and when we respond to one you can then sidestep it, shift to another, and pretend that we just aren't getting it.

*shrugs* Lots of posters do this, I guess. But my patience with this technique is wearing very thin. Oh well, I have a long ignore list for a reason.

-Galen's player

C

Connor_Graham

Really ?

When I studied math, I learned that reversing the order of the factors does not change the result of their multiplication.

What matters, the way I see it, is the grand total of the modifiers and not the partials for each piece.

Besides, many modifiers are capped anyways and so, exceeding the cap not necessarily is a good thing but can result in just a waste.
You really have no clue what you're talking about Lindsay. You need to just cancel your billing and quit. Take everything out of your various bank boxes before you do that and put it all in your house, then let that fall so you won't have any tempatation to come back. I think you should go play another EA game, Littlest Pet Shop online. I think that's more your speed.

Cya later Miss Lohan. I'm sure we'll hear you've cried about something else tomorrow.

C

Connor_Graham

Well, I do not think for a split second that what matters is what is important for me.

I think that what matters is what is important for Ultima Online as a game.

The real question is, IMHO, is the current status quo where expensive gear wins fights because of the way combat is dealt with (modifiers bonuses) good for Ultima Online as a game ?

Well, I happen to think that no, the current status quo is not good for the game itself.

Why ?

Because it makes it harder for new players approaching the game the first time to be able to be competitive with existing players unless they have the money and spend it or they have large time to powergame and catch up with existing players.

What I am concerned with, is seeing new players burned out from seeing the task of catching up (competing on par) with existing players, a task either too expensive or too time consuming for their tastes.

I want to see new players come to UO and the more the bettter.

I think graphics is only part of the problems. I think that the difficulties and time required to become truly competitive with existing players also is a big part of the proboems. Yes, even with imbuing and Faction artifacts in the game.

Imbuing and Faction artifacts have been a good move in the right direction, IMHO, but more needs be done to make new players be able to catch up with existing players faster so that they can truly be able to compete on an equal footing in a reasonable time making the game more challenging for everyone regardless from what their gear, weapons or wealth might be.

Ideally, in my view, one's own gear, wealth or weaponry should have a minimal effect on combat outcome. The determining factors should be a player's combat ability, not what one wears or swings or how much gold points one might have to spend to get gear or weapons determinant for combat outcome........
This contradicts everything you said previously in this yet another cry me a river thread. One might say that you're a complete waste of perfectly good oxygen.

Yep, one might say that.

I didn't, but one might. :gee:

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I heard there's a Hello Kitty MMORPG. Maybe it will be a better fit for the OP's taste.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
popps
you do know reason we got replicas was to re-balance game right!! It gave regular players a chance at very rare once one of a kind items ems had dropped over years in game. Those which then became heavily duped so became a game of have "dupers and those that dealt with" and have nots the ones that wouldn't deal with them. the developers instead of deleting the dupes gave a way for rest to have the items in away that didn't unbalance the game.

so dont cry, go farm some gold and get or hunt for! New players can play game with out! also why new players got blessed armor with i think 60 resist to compete and grow and can get in older dungeons!!
Once pvp was a end game for bored pvm players not a tournament for youngs 3rd day into game.

why also teen crowd run scripts to get skills to top over learning to play game

Then we got faction crap!

if you wish a game for even pvp based on level WOW if i remember has level

based pvp content! !!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
popps
you do know reason we got replicas was to re-balance game right!! It gave regular players a chance at very rare once one of a kind items ems had dropped over years in game. Those which then became heavily duped so became a game of have "dupers and those that dealt with" and have nots the ones that wouldn't deal with them. the developers instead of deleting the dupes gave a way for rest to have the items in away that didn't unbalance the game.

Yes, but my question is, if the intent is to balance out new and existing players so as to put everyone on an equal footing what is the time frame that this can happen for a new player ?

I mean, let's take an existing player all scrolled up, with soulstones to swap maxed out skills as needed depending on the circumstances, with a suit all modded, perhaps imbued and gold to spare in bank to quickly adjust to the introduction of new, more powerfull items faster than others so as to always stay ahead, so to speak, as compared to others.

Then let's imagine a brand new player who just discovered Ultima Online and comes to the game and tries to make his or her way up and compete against other players.

The question that matters here, IMHO, is how long before this new player can get the training, the equipment, the wealth to make it possible to compete with players who have been playing and stocking up items and wealth for years.

Unless the time to close the gap is reasonable, chances are that the new comer, after trying the game for a while, seeing how existing players can always keep ahead, may find it counter productive to keep playing UO trying to cover a gap which only moves a step forward, but never closes for one reason or another.

And should this happen, this would be detrimental for the game.

The problem with an item based game and relying combat outcome mostly on modifiers, is that it helps more those who have more time or wealth to get the most and best items. That is, the way I see it, it makes time playing the game an asset and the more time one has played and more items and wealth one has accumulated, the more this plays a relevant role in having the upper hand to win fights.

And, as a side effect, it makes it much harder for new comers to the game to cover that gap in a reasonable time.

Yes, we are better off today as we were before thanking to changes like Faction artifacts, imbuing and, but only up to a point, for Replicas.

Unfortunately, as I see it, the time for a new comer to "catch up" is still considerable even with these changes since wealth still plays a role in getting the best items and this is why I think that perhaps more can be done to help close the gap between existing players and new comers to the game faster.

Personally, I think that something which could greatly help could be gradually shifting the balance of power away from items and modifiers and back onto skills.

Reducing the impact of modifiers towards combat outcomes and increasing the impact of skills in determining who wins a fight could help further reduce the time a new player may need to be on par with existing players.

When talking about increasing the impact of skills, I not necessarily mean only the in game skills but also actual combat skills like combat strategies which might make the difference in combat.

For example, I would like to see more in-combat influence of cheap, side things like potions, special moves which require the use of a clever battle tactics and the like.

All things which everyone can use and learn but which can be made determinant to decide who wins a fight because of a better combat strategy and not of a better suit or more gold to spend.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few thoughts. If everything is easily obtainable, nothing is challenging = boredom sets in and the player stops playing.
While replicas can be nice to have, they are not a necessity. No character of mine is currently in possession of any replica.
Power scrolls in Felucca I do not see as a problem. I have always gotten the ones I needed, as often as not through barter rather than buying with gold.
The problem of newer players competing is a pvp problem only. There is no need of uber gear to fight monsters. The vast majority of newer players begin as pvmers and move to pvp when they feel more competent as players.
My opinion, assuming I'm entitled to one, is summed up by this:

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, but my question is, if the intent is to balance out new and existing players so as to put everyone on an equal footing what is the time frame that this can happen for a new player ?
No, your question is " Why do some Replicas cost so much when they wear out ?" Now about balancing anything, it's about economy, someone kills your argument, instead of going "Oh, I see, thank you." You go "Well how does this effect the new players if they can instant kill Ratmen sooner? Wont that destroy pvp's and what about the dragon unions?!"

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose the op's question already got answered. Though it was questioned by popps, wo asks beginners questions so often, that I can hardly believe that hes actually playing the game longer than me and posting (crap) way more often than me. But he just likes to discuss ... aehm ... no ... he likes to advance his view without any attempt to let his view changed by arguments ... but that is popps. *g*

But somehow back to topic .... Harrower is fel only and the new two abyss-spawns are also.
Getting replicas has a lot to do with luck ... personal luck of an individual player. While some players pay a lot of gold for them, it is in the same way a way to get settled for a newer player. Imagine that a replica could drop into a newbies backpack. *g*
And no ... you dont necessarily need expensive scrolls & equipment to compete at public spawns. Especially now with those game wide chat channels you can gather quick enough players to do a spawn. I was yesterday at one of those spawns and it was fun. I died multiple times on a half trained and very pour equipped char. It was way more interesting than those sleeping dragon spawns during the last tot-event, where 6-8 uber equipped nacro-mages showed up every 15-20 minuten and withered the whole spawn away and no one was dieing.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is freakin unbelievable :popcorn:

And yes it was Popps about a year or two ago who started endless threads about how PS should be in Tram as well as Fel :stretcher:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem of newer players competing is a pvp problem only. There is no need of uber gear to fight monsters. The vast majority of newer players begin as pvmers and move to pvp when they feel more competent as players.

This is very true, but unless the "waiting time" to access PvP is made as reasonable, then the game sits on PvM mostly which, as many correctly point out, eventually grows as boring.

So, PvM is very fine to get used to the game but after sometime, the natural progression of players, at least a good number, should be onto PvP for the better sake and being of the game.

Now, if this does not happen as a very small minority does PvP, then what else can I conclude that something is very wrong with the accessability of players to PvP and balanced competition player vs. player of this game ??

Is this so much a wrong analysis of why we have so few PvPers in the game and how this eventually hurts the game, overall ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, your question is " Why do some Replicas cost so much when they wear out ?" Now about balancing anything, it's about economy, someone kills your argument, instead of going "Oh, I see, thank you." You go "Well how does this effect the new players if they can instant kill Ratmen sooner? Wont that destroy pvp's and what about the dragon unions?!"

But the 2 issues do are connected and quite some !!

What is the difference between new and existing players ?

Saved exceptions, on average I think it is in the amount of wealth and high end items accumulated over the years.

Now, if a new player is short in items and gold, this means that trying to make up a competitive (for PvP) suit and weapons stock is not so easy having limited funds to manage.

If the items cost a lot, take a lot of time to get and last not much, while this may not be a problem for an existing player with stocks of items and wealth in bank, for a new player not being able to use that expensive, hard to get item long enough might be a problem when needing to replace it.

Considering then that a full competitive suit need 6 pieces of armor, 2 of jewellery and extras like apron slot, feet, sash, robe, cloak, one gets the picture what it means getting AND maintaining a PvP competitive outfit......

So, that Replicas are expensive but last short does is connected, IMHO, to issues with newcomers having difficulties covering the gap with existing players as far as PvP is concerned.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so poops tell us

how many hours of play should a new player expect, in your mind to suffer in training, suit gathering to compete in pvp??

C

Connor_Graham

If a newer player can't complete a champ spawn and get their own replicas (which are in no way necessary in either PvM or PvP) they have no busines going to Fel to PvP to begin with. End of discussion.

No one believes your altruistic BS Lindsay. No one. We all know you're just crying (yet again) that something you want costs more than you want to spend and you're too damn lazy to go out and get one for yourself.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is very true, but unless the "waiting time" to access PvP is made as reasonable, then the game sits on PvM mostly which, as many correctly point out, eventually grows as boring.

So, PvM is very fine to get used to the game but after sometime, the natural progression of players, at least a good number, should be onto PvP for the better sake and being of the game.

Now, if this does not happen as a very small minority does PvP, then what else can I conclude that something is very wrong with the accessability of players to PvP and balanced competition player vs. player of this game ??

Is this so much a wrong analysis of why we have so few PvPers in the game and how this eventually hurts the game, overall ?
Good Lord...your logic is so very flawed.

I never even took Logic or Philosophy in college, but from my studies, the premise for a conclusion must be sound, or the conclusion, itself, is likely to be flawed.

Your premise is not sound, popps. If you don't want to go to Fel, then don't. I haven't been to Fel in 10 years, and I have every PS and piece of armor I could want. What I don't have I can buy with gold I made from my vendors.

Please...do us all a huge favor.

Instead of asking the question:

"What Else Can Others Do For Me to Make My Gaming Experience Less Frustrating and More Enjoyable"?

Ask yourself, instead:

"What Else Can I Do To Rise Above My Circumstances and Achieve The Desired Result?"

Until you do that, you will continue to suffer entropy of the activities that can produce the Desired Result, as you are here, pancakes on the boards, instead of out getting what it is that you want.

I will close on this:

Think About What You DO Want, and Do NOT Think About What You Do Not Want.

You Become What You Think About The Most.

Let thoughts of how to legally obtain the items you think are so unobtainable consume you...let it be all you think about... "How Can I? How Can I?, and before you know it, if you look hard for the answers, and work persistently at it, you will achieve it. Or at least be making steady progress towards its achievement.

Which will then give you no time to think about what you were unable to have before, and as long as you do not give up, it will surely be yours.

You may well come back with a verbose reply about how I justy don't understand. I do. Completely.

If you do not come back with a wordy reply, but instead immediately get out there and start running Illsh Champs etc, then you will quickly see how sound my logic might be.

U

UOKaiser

Saved exceptions, on average I think it is in the amount of wealth and high end items accumulated over the years.

Now, if a new player is short in items and gold, this means that trying to make up a competitive (for PvP) suit and weapons stock is not so easy having limited funds to manage.

If the items cost a lot, take a lot of time to get and last not much, while this may not be a problem for an existing player with stocks of items and wealth in bank, for a new player not being able to use that expensive, hard to get item long enough might be a problem when needing to replace it.

Considering then that a full competitive suit need 6 pieces of armor, 2 of jewellery and extras like apron slot, feet, sash, robe, cloak, one gets the picture what it means getting AND maintaining a PvP competitive outfit......

So, that Replicas are expensive but last short does is connected, IMHO, to issues with newcomers having difficulties covering the gap with existing players as far as PvP is concerned.
A new player should never have the same equipment or abilities as a vet player. They need to work for it. This is a RPG not a first person shooter or strategy game.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how many hours of play should a new player expect, in your mind to suffer in training, suit gathering to compete in pvp??

Well, considering a couple of months to train with PvM and then another month or 2 to get used to PvP I think that a newcomer to the game should be able to have access to full scale PvP on a competitive level in about 4 months.

Which is a time frame feasible if the game combat was more relying on skills and combat strategies rather than high end items and modifiers.

And no, I do not see anything wrong in seeing a new comer to the game be up and ready for competitive PvP against players who have been playing for years in 4 months or so. I think it is beneficial for the game and for challenging PvP.

I am worried that longer times could result in new players alienating from the game and moving else where.

When Ultima Online started in 1997 there was not much an alternative out there but today it is quite different and the competition is very tough.

It would be interesting to see some statistics about new accounts. Not new accounts opened up by existing players but brand new accounts opened by players who never played UO before.

I would like to see on average for how long a brand new player (of those closing the account within the first year of playing UO) keeps the account open before closing it up to move elsewhere to other games.

That would give perhaps some hints on what might be the causes that may have new players decide not to continue their UO journey too early.

Personally, I have a feeling that the reason for leaving UO after trying it out a few months could have something to do with getting bored at PvM but feeling getting competitive at thrilling PvP too long to reach because of the gap with existing PvPers.

Should this be one of the factors, then perhaps doing something more to help close this gap faster, could help new players stick with UO and enjoy its PvP part.

As far as what changes I see more fit, well, as I said, I'd like to see combat resolution gradually shift away from using modifiers (i.e. items) as determining factors in deciding who wins a fight and use more skills instead, as well as combat strategies through clever use of potions and other tactics like special moves.

All things readily usable by everyone and, most importantly, easily obtainable by everyone but which should be cleverly used in combat as a winning strategy.

Also, too address ganking, I would like to see individual ratings be given at log in and when more than one player attacks another player, then the hits from the other attackers are greatly reduced on their targets to lower the effects of ganking as much as possible.

For example, while a 1 vs 1 fight should be left un adjusted by the combat engine, if there is a 2 vs 1 then all hits from the second attacker on the same target should be reduced by 50% at least,
If the attackers are 3 vs 1 then the hits of the second and third attacker should be even further reduced in their efficiency of like at least 70% and so forth.

Bottom line is, ganking should be made a waste of time and deterred as much as possible.

Why ?

Because at least of many players I met in the game ganking was one of the main causes of new players getting fed up with the game and leaving it.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Popps. GEEZy Peezy. Look if you are on Atlantic, come set a vendor at my house. I will teach you how to sell and what to sell. In 2 months youll have plenty of gold and can buy all you need.

Seriously, spend the time you take to respond on the boards and sell. Its not that hard. I will help you.

To answer your question. They are expensive because they are new and in demand.

To really answer your question, you dont need that crap. Yes you need to have a good suit. But plenty of PvPers are good without the top stuff. Its about balance and skill and template.

GEAR. Imbuing baby. Changed it.

And as far as PvP its all about ganking and numbers. The goal is to kill the guy. However, you slice it. Numbers are good in battle.

U

UOKaiser

Popps. GEEZy Peezy. Look if you are on Atlantic, come set a vendor at my house. I will teach you how to sell and what to sell. In 2 months youll have plenty of gold and can buy all you need.

Seriously, spend the time you take to respond on the boards and sell. Its not that hard. I will help you.

To answer your question. They are expensive because they are new and in demand.

To really answer your question, you dont need that crap. Yes you need to have a good suit. But plenty of PvPers are good without the top stuff. Its about balance and skill and template.

GEAR. Imbuing baby. Changed it.

And as far as PvP its all about ganking and numbers. The goal is to kill the guy. However, you slice it. Numbers are good in battle.
If ya take him up on his offer i'll give each of ya a few mil also to get started. He'll teach you how to use the gold to make gold.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a newer player can't complete a champ spawn and get their own replicas (which are in no way necessary in either PvM or PvP) they have no busines going to Fel to PvP to begin with. End of discussion.

I totally disagree since it harms the game, overall, IMHO.

As of now, when modifiers decide for the most part who wins a fight, a player willing to engage in competitive PvP (not PvM) still faces, even after the changes, a long journey before being able to stand and face the challenge with good chances to win.

Even with faction artifacts, imbuing and replicas the endevour to be competitive at PvP is still a long ladder to climb as I see it and it might deter some new comers to the game to keep playing the game.

As I see it, this is a game, something for spare time, to spend time on when there are no things more important to do. I think that if a new player sees that in order to be competitive they have to spend too much time on the game at the expense of other things in their real lives more important, they might decide to close the account and move on.

So, making competitive PvP easier and faster to be reached, I think, could help keep more new players with the game and thus increase the resources of the game to add more new content.

If my arguments do not sound logical or make no sense, please explain why. Thanks.

R

RavenWinterHawk

As of now, when modifiers decide for the most part who wins a fight, a player willing to engage in competitive PvP (not PvM) still faces, even after the changes, a long journey before being able to stand and face the challenge with good chances to win.

Even with faction artifacts, imbuing and replicas the endevour to be competitive at PvP is still a long ladder to climb as I see it and it might deter some new comers to the game to keep playing the game.

As I see it, this is a game, something for spare time, to spend time on when there are no things more important to do. I think that if a new player sees that in order to be competitive they have to spend too much time on the game at the expense of other things in their real lives more important, they might decide to close the account and move on.

So, making competitive PvP easier and faster to be reached, I think, could help keep more new players with the game and thus increase the resources of the game to add more new content.

If my arguments do not sound logical or make no sense, please explain why. Thanks.
Popps
Here is an idea. Make a stealth hide type smoke bomb player. Go into PvP with nothing but the ability to cast and shoot a bow. Nude. Hide all that.

When you see a low life bar. BLAMO jump them with a spell channeling bow and a flamestrike. There you go.

PvP is not decided solely by mods. If you think that is the ONLY way its decided. I see why you are so concerned about arties and relics.

Come and vend. Its free and I see youll get a gift of gold to get started too.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may well come back with a verbose reply about how I justy don't understand. I do. Completely.

The thing is, honestly, that my argument is really not about me but about what I think would be better for the game (make PvP more readily accessable to new players).

Oddily, I can't seem to get my argument through..........

S

slaveone

I seriously hope thats a joke. Cause buddy your posts NEVER sound logical and NEVER make sense they are just ranty whines which i find hard to understand why they aren't moved to speils and rants immediately after they are posted!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is, honestly, that my argument is really not about me but about what I think would be better for the game (make PvP more readily accessable to new players).

PvP in fel with players who have played for a long time should NOT be readily accessible to new players. How do you expect new players to be able to compete in PvP with experienced players? This game is easy enough as it is without having EVERYTHING so easily obtainable.

But of course, you do not need to be in fel to PvP, new players can easily group together and guild up and fight one another anywhere.

Also from what I have been reading you are NOT a PvPer and thus have no idea how to bring new players to PvP. Let the real PvPers here take over the debate. They know what it takes and how to get the new players into the field.

And lastly, congrats on derailing your own thread! lol

C

Connor_Graham

And no, I do not see anything wrong in seeing a new comer to the game be up and ready for competitive PvP against players who have been playing for years in 4 months or so. I think it is beneficial for the game and for challenging PvP.
And right there is your problem. You are the only person ever in the history of UO, including the Devs, the bean counters, the producer, even the 16 yr old nerd standing behind the counter at Gamestop selling old copies of the 9th anniversary edition, that feels this extremely unrealistic way. No game ever created will have you playing on equal footing with another player that's got years under their belt.

Get over yourself Ms Lohan, and wake up from Lala land. That noise you hear is reality calling and wondering what happened to you.

C

Connor_Graham

You disagree that a new player should actually have some skill at playing their character before taking on the most skilled players in the game? What alternate reality do you live in? You do realize that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny aren't real don't you? You really need to face reality and quit trying to bring your fantasy world into ours.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also from what I have been reading you are NOT a PvPer and thus have no idea how to bring new players to PvP. Let the real PvPers here take over the debate. They know what it takes and how to get the new players into the field.

The issue here is NOT how to make PvP better for those currently engaged into it.

If this was the issue than you are right, experienced PvPers should be those debating the issue.

But the issue is another. It is that to make it so that new players do NOT leave the game after trying it out bored by PvM but not attracted by PvP because of a number of reasons.

So, I doubt that those who do PvP can understand the reasons of those who do not PvP because they PvP while the key question is why not more people engage into PvP.

And this, is a question that only those who have problems with PvP the way it is, can discuss. This, "if" the goal is to attract more players, especially new players, to PvP.

Or, at least, that's my view about it.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What popps is saying: "Make good items obtainable with little effort so that new players can access PvP more easily."

What he actually means: "Make good items obtainable without any effort at all so I can grab a bunch of them and move on from skeletons to liches."

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You disagree that a new player should actually have some skill at playing their character before taking on the most skilled players in the game? What alternate reality do you live in? You do realize that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny aren't real don't you? You really need to face reality and quit trying to bring your fantasy world into ours.

Not skills, "items"......

I disagree entirely with having combat outcomes be so heavily determined by modifiers.

If we were talking about combat skills, combat strategies then I would be all in favour of it. Because those can be learned in a reasonable time and attain to one's own ability at combat.

Unfortunately, it is modifiers which most often decides who wins a fight and these, open up the pandora box of powergaming and wealth accumulation.

This, I entirely disagree with.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What popps is saying: "Make good items obtainable with little effort so that new players can access PvP more easily."

What he actually means: "Make good items obtainable without any effort at all so I can grab a bunch of them and move on from skeletons to liches."

Do not worry about me, I have what I need in the game and even more.

Really, why is it that if one tries to discuss about bettering the game in the end it has to sound as one may have a personal agenda ?

I have none other than trying to see more players, new players in Ultima Online.

My ideas may be wrong and not help increase the number of new players in the game, but they have nothing at all to do with what I personally want for myself in the game.

I can't figure out why I have such a hard time to get this understood.

I will say it again, I have NO personal need nor agenda. I just am looking at what could help bring new players to UO AND keep them with the game. End of the story.

U

UOKaiser

Really, why is it that if one tries to discuss about bettering the game in the end it has to sound as one may have a personal agenda ?

I have none other than trying to see more players, new players in Ultima Online.

My ideas may be wrong and not help increase the number of new players in the game, but they have nothing at all to do with what I personally want for myself in the game.

I will say it again, I have NO personal need nor agenda. I just am looking at what could help bring new players to UO AND keep them with the game. End of the story.
This is a item game thats all there is to it. You can't reverse the clock 8 years. The Diablo craze made it like that. The players enjoy collecting items and different equipment to customize there characters. Even before the craze hit full steam people whent crazy over supremly accurate silver vanquishing whatevers and people value gm items more than no gm armor. We just had less items during that time. But items are extremly important and allways have being. No turning back. Original ultimas were full of item collecting for a better item, spaceships,robots,etc.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you look for connections hard enough you can start any post about HCI and end up discussing the Queen of England as I'm pretty sure SOMEONE is British, thus related to England, who's related to the queen. You're derailing your own thread just to discuss something you've already derailed billions of times.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new player should never have the same equipment or abilities as a vet player. They need to work for it. This is a RPG not a first person shooter or strategy game.
I definitely agree with this sentiment...anything in life worth having is worth working for.

/Signed /Signed

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

PvP isn't the big draw you are trying to make it out to be. It is extremely exciting, and an absolute rush to PvP, but not all players enjoy Non-Consensual PvP, Popps. I don't. I have three accounts, and I NEVER PvP in Fel...not ever. I am sure I am not the only player like that, either.

So, trying to be altruistic about making sure that Replicas are available to every player for 5 gp to save the game because then EVERYONE will PvP is just not gonna fly. It is not valid.

You are exhibiting the opposite of a virtue in these posts, Popps. You act as if this is all "for the good of the game"...it is because you seem to Covet that which others have that you do not. You seem to covet and show no desire to go get it yourself. You seem to covet and show no motivation to figure out how you can rise above your current circumstances to achieve the desired result.

That's really all there is to it. Raven and UOKaiser have offered to set you up and show you how to make a UO Fortune as a real Merchant. If you don't do it, you are an absolute fool. They are both brilliant Merchants (I do just so so...) and they could teach you everything you need to never have to make another post like this ever again. You can have everything your little UO Heart Desires. But you are gonna have to work for it. There is no free ride. Nor should there be, IMO.

Or, you could just continue to do what you do...come on the boards protesting the "unfairness" of it all, and put your fingers in your ears and cry "Nuh Uh" when offered absolute proof and logic of claims to the contrary.

The reason you are unable to get your "altruistic" point across is that we all see clearly the motivation.

Unfortunately, until you open your mind to the fact that it is Your Thoughts that are holding you back, and not the game, no one will be able to help you.

You have the key...but there is a price to pay...here is a little food for thought from Mr. Peart:

It's not how fast you can go
The force goes into the flow
If you pick up the beat
You can forget about the heat
More than just survival
More than just a flash
More than just a dotted line
More than just a dash

It's a test of ultimate will
The heartbreak climb uphill
Got to pick up the pace
If you want to stay in the race
More than just blind ambition
More than just simple greed
More than just a finish line
Must feed this burning need
In the long run...

[Chorus:]
From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes
One moment's high, and glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades in the summer sky

Your meters may overload
You can rest at the side of the road
You can miss a stride
But nobody gets a free ride

More than high performance
More than just a spark
More than just the bottom line
Or a lucky shot in the dark
In the long run...

[Chorus]

You can do a lot in a lifetime
If you don't burn out too fast
You can make the most of the distance
First you need endurance
First you've got to last...
If you devote 1/10th of the time you currently spend complaining about all of the inequities in UO to actually learning and doing the things you need to do to get what you want, Popps, I can assure you, you will have it before you know it.

You may even get it before you know it...who knows.

:party:

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got tired of reading this thread by the beginning of page 3.

When is popps going to finally be banned for trolling?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The issue here is NOT how to make PvP better for those currently engaged into it.

If this was the issue than you are right, experienced PvPers should be those debating the issue.

But the issue is another. It is that to make it so that new players do NOT leave the game after trying it out bored by PvM but not attracted by PvP because of a number of reasons.

So, I doubt that those who do PvP can understand the reasons of those who do not PvP because they PvP while the key question is why not more people engage into PvP.

And this, is a question that only those who have problems with PvP the way it is, can discuss. This, "if" the goal is to attract more players, especially new players, to PvP.

Or, at least, that's my view about it.
Did you even read my post or just skim through it?

I never said anything about making PvP better for those who already PvP. I said simply:

Let the real PvPers here take over the debate. They know what it takes and how to get the new players into the field.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you even read my post or just skim through it?

I never said anything about making PvP better for those who already PvP. I said simply:

Let the real PvPers here take over the debate. They know what it takes and how to get the new players into the field.

I am sorry, but I have difficulties in understanding how those who enjoy PvP and currently play the game PvPing, can understand the reasons of those who leave the game because PvP is not appealing to them (after they get bored with PvM)...

I mean, if I like the apple pie how could I understand the reasons of someone who hates the apple pie ?

It appears difficult to me that I could imagine ways on making the apple pie more appealing to those who do not like it when I already like it as it is and my reasons for liking it perhaps differ from the reasons of those not liking it.

I think it is up to those who have problems with the apple pie to say what ingredients should be added and changes be made so that more of the non-likers of the apple pie get to like and enjoy it......

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry, but I have difficulties in understanding how those who enjoy PvP and currently play the game PvPing, can understand the reasons of those who leave the game because PvP is not appealing to them (after they get bored with PvM)...

I mean, if I like the apple pie how could I understand the reasons of someone who hates the apple pie ?

It appears difficult to me that I could imagine ways on making the apple pie more appealing to those who do not like it when I already like it as it is and my reasons for liking it perhaps differ from the reasons of those not liking it.

I think it is up to those who have problems with the apple pie to say what ingredients should be added and changes be made so that more of the non-likers of the apple pie get to like and enjoy it......
No, you're wrong, are you familiar with Database design? Probably not, you have a specific person, the Analyst who goes around seeing what people do at their jobs, what they need done, what they require of the new Information System as well as let it meet the owners expectations.

Database designs FAIL if the analyst listens to every concern or new feature someone wants in it...

All you do is complain about something, then talk about how it affects new players when your complaining fails, then talk about PvP balance when you have no idea what PvP balance is. If UO listened to you, it would fail just like a database. You seem to have a problem with EVERYTHING in this game, if you're still playing this game, do yourself (and us) a favor and quit as you obviously dislike more than you like. If you don't play this game anymore then, in all honesty, why are you even complaining and giving suggestions? It makes no sense and frankly would have no legs to stand on.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Popps, I don't think the problem is that people misunderstand you, more that we just don't see the world in the same way you do.

If the game content is made easy enough that a few months of play has you competing with 10+ year veterans, don't you realise that it then becomes terribly boring and easy for the veterans at the same time? You might bring in a few new players but I think you'd lose a lot of vets out the other end. Some of us don't play for easy, we love UO for the challenge.

This is a very item orientated game, and I don't agree with that, but getting started in PvP isn't all about paying for items. I don't have uber gear, but it sure won't stop me fighting when I want to. It's not even all about being in Fel - there are PvP opportunities between guilds eg in RP wars for example. You can find some groups who only fight with GM crafted armour in RP, so the whole attitude that you need to spend many millions on uber items is silly.

There are also those things called guilds, where enthusiastic PvPer beginners will find other players who won't just help them with their skills and template, they'll help with equipment too. They'll probably be best off joining a more general purpose guild as many PvPer guilds like to see that you can fight, but that's not always the case.

We even have a nice chat feature in game where a new player can ask if anyone knows of a guild or group that might help them.

A new player can achieve an awful lot if they apply themselves and have enthusiasm to learn a new game. And it helps if they try to get along with other players.

Wenchy

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So you want PvP to be designed around those who don't like PvP so they can like it and then completely ignore those who DO PvP and like it? Yet that could easily ruin it for those who DO like PvP because you don't want to listen to them.

Before we move on...what was the original topic here? Getting new players to be able to compete in PvP with those who have been at it for a long time, right? Then before that it was trying to comprehend why people pay so much for replicas?

How about we just move on to your next complaint here, lmao.

:popcorn:

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone plays UO to PvP, in my time, I have done PvM, Order/Chaos, Factions, PK, Thief, Crafting, and ALL WITHOUT REPLICAS or GOOD/GREAT ITEMS, sure I have a few minor arties or a few of the low end major arties, I can still compete, in anything, even with just basics gear.

There is so many things you can do in this game, without even going near PvP, and I think you should not insult the skill or determination of new players because of your own short comings, I know a lot of new players that can compete with the best of them, can earn their own replica's or arties easily, and its all down to them applying themselves, and the community of UO that help new players.

YOU DO NOT NEED REPLICAS or ARTIES in any playstyle, they help, BUT are NOT REQUIRED.

So Popps whats the moan for tomorrow, going to be, everyone of your arguements have been shot down again and again, time to either quit for good, or move on to your next moan.