• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why Catskills has fewer Power Scrolls for sale as compared to other shards ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saved a few exceptions, usually most Power Scrolls for sale on a shard, particularly if 120s, end up for sale on some vendor in Luna.

Well, having a look at Luna vendors on various shards, I noticed that Catskills is one of the shards with less Power Scrolls up for sale.

Is there a reason for this ?

I could imagine if catskills population was higher than other shards (more people needing scrolls and so less up for sale) but one of the shards with most players, Atlantic, has more powerscrolls up for sale, on average, than Catskills.

And it is not even the scarcity of population either a probable cause because also shards with presumably a lower population than Catskills, end up having more Power Scrolls up for sale.

So, I am unsure what it is, but Catskills seems to have an odd scarcity of Power Scrolls up for sale as compared to other shards.

Anyone has any idea why ?

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
None for sale because Flutter gives them away for free

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps what is your character's name on catskills and what scrolls do you need?

W

woody_cats

i have to agree i have been trying toi get 110 magery or 115 magery for 2 weeks and can not find even spamming tried haven britian and luna

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know the FEW times I do spawns I usually keep the 120's for my guild members if they need them, the 110's I trash and the 115's I use to turn into 120's.

Its not just scrolls in short supply, a lot of misc stuff I look for I have a hard time finding, doom arties, peerless stuff, marties, etc etc. I think a lot of people are just busy with the new content still.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a lot of people are just busy with the new content still.

Well, since the Halloween and Thanksgiving Events are over I imagine you refer to Stygian Abyss ?

Why would Catskills players, as compared to most other shards, play more the Stygian Abyss content?

It still is much unclear why on Catskills there are way, but really way less Power Scrolls up for sale as compared to most other shards.

Particularly, since with Scroll Binders a whole lot more 120s should have become available.

Infact other shards have sometimes hundreds of 120s up for sale.

For example, while on Catskills I only saw in Luna 3 120s (all tailoring, by the way...), on Atlantic in Luna I could see almost 300 Legendary powerscrolls for sale.
On Pacific in Luna almost 200 Legendary Powerscrolls up for sale. On Chesapeake in Luna about 90. On Great Lakes in Luna over 200 Legendary Power Scrolls.
And I could continue......

I find it really, but really odd and strange that the difference is so huge.

On Catskills in Luna only 3 Legendary Powerscrolls and all 3 tailoring ?

This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Not when I compare it to what I can see on other shards.

There must be some logical explaination, but what is it ?

C

CatLord

Because for many years most of the spawning guilds have been giving them around...

Prolly a side effect of having the shard locked down by SX for some years.

The Catskillians refuse to let any guild rule the spawns...

A Revolução Continua...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because for many years most of the spawning guilds have been giving them around...

Prolly a side effect of having the shard locked down by SX for some years.

The Catskillians refuse to let any guild rule the spawns...

A Revolução Continua...

Well, if noone holds monopoly of the spawns then it is a good thing, IMHO.

This means that everyone is allowed to hunt for them and, therefore, MORE scrolls should be available for the entire shard.

Not the contrary.

On the contrary, if a Guild maintains monopoly of the scrolls then they decide if and when have them for sale and, generally speaking, sometimes they are limited in their offer to artificially have their prices skyrocket.

That is actually what I was thinking was going on Catskills. Scrolls be kept in secures and not on vendors to limit the offer and, therefore, have their prices be artificially high.

But for this to happen the spawns need to be locked, closed to all players but a few who hold tight their monopoly.

And according to what you say this is not what is going on in Catskills.

So, I do not understand nor find a logical explaination, still.

C

CatLord

At least 6 different crews spawning 24/7.

Everyone that spawns... shares their scrolls.

105, 110, 115s are being used to make 120s. (scroll binders)

Maybe the scrolls are kept within each circle...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I do not think this as possible.

How many scrolls does a player need ?

There comes a point when all members in a guild have more then plenty and so, sharing them is pointless because they are all covered.

Hence, the more hunted the more should be up for sale since those in the Guilds are already scrolled.

Instead, this is not happening on Catskills but instead, there is plenty scrolls on other shards.

Perhaps Power Scrolls are farmed on Catskills but then are transferred to other shards and that is why we do not see Power Scrolls for sale on Catskills but we see hundreds upon hundreds of scrolls elsewhere ?

Anyways, whatever the problem may be, "if" there is a shard comunity on Catskills I think this should be a priority to address for all players on Catskills, even more so for new players on Catskills.

Power Scrolls are needed to fully play the game and they should never ever be precluded to players.

If Power Scrolls are harder to come by as compared to other shards (and it looks to me this is the case), then perhaps something is being done (or NOT being done) on the Catskills shard that is wrong, and that does not happen on other shards.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps is not actually seeking an answer. He is trying to provoke responses. You're best to ignore him since you have already answered his question.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps is not actually seeking an answer. He is trying to provoke responses. You're best to ignore him since you have already answered his question.

Actually I am looking for an answer, and that is WHY on Catskills the availability of Power Scrolls differs so much as compared to other shards.

So far, the hypotheses given do not explain this.

I was told

This is not consistant with the scarcity of scrolls for the entire shard.

If scrolls are spawned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, there should be hundreds upon hundreds of scrolls available for the Catskills shard.
Especially, when 105s, 110s and 115s are combined into 120s.

Yet, it is not so since on Luna only 3 Legendary scrolls are available and they are all tailoring......

The hypothesis is "Maybe the scrolls are kept within each circle..." ?

Well, given that spawning 24/7 produces thousands of scrolls after a while, clearly, it is more than plenty for the people spawning them for personal use.

Yet, they do not go on vendors............
Not on the Catskills shard, at least, from what I can see in Luna.

I am still looking for an answer which might logically explain this very strange and unpleasant (for the shard) situation.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just because people don't put them on vendors doesn't mean they aren't for sale.

Case and point, I offered to sell you a scroll that you were looking for and you opted not to buy it.

You can never have too many scrolls.. a guild mate or friend will always need something.

Just because you aren't in any 'circles' where scrolls are traded doesn't mean they don't exist.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just because people don't put them on vendors doesn't mean they aren't for sale.

Case and point, I offered to sell you a scroll that you were looking for and you opted not to buy it.

You can never have too many scrolls.. a guild mate or friend will always need something.

Just because you aren't in any 'circles' where scrolls are traded doesn't mean they don't exist.

So you are telling me that it is "normal" that while on Atlantic there is some 300 scrolls up for public sale, or like 200 on Pacific up for public sale on Catskills there is only 3 in Luna and they are all for tailoring ?

This is considered as "healthy" and good for the Catskills shard ?

I am sorry, but I beg to differ.

This is not good for the whole shard because it forces players to have to enter those closed circles if they want to fully enjoy the game which it happens to require 120s.

I cannot agree for the life of me with things happening in closed circles of players. Not for the better healthiness of the shard.

That's at least my opinion about it.

As in regards to your offer, I thanked you explaining that my priority was a scroll which you unfortunately did not have and that I first had to find that one, before being able to consider other ones which I also need.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Maybe the illegal search site you are using isn't accurate. The one I use has pages of legendary scrolls.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe the illegal search site you are using isn't accurate. The one I use has pages of legendary scrolls.

May I ask you a question ?

You do not find an odd difference, for example, on the number of Power Scrolls up for public sale on Catskills as compared to other shards like for example Atlantic or Pacific ?

Whether 3 or 10 or even 20 scrolls, my impression is that Catskills has much less Power Scrolls up for public sale as compared to a number of other shards.

I was trying to understand why.

The Real John

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ooooooo 24/7 o baby.... Is that why every time I scout the spawns theres rarely any one ever doing the spawns. Also you do know this is for catskills not some made up shard no ones heard of. Don't know only you know the truth........

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Perhaps a few reason Popps.

1. Catskills is farmed by other guild transferring them to other shards to sell for more?

2. Catskills is just WAAAY cooler then other shards?

3. Maybe they dont sell all the Powerscrolls in Luna

4. People are selling them to unknown places that I cannot say on stratics

5. People don't spawn so much

6. Catskills is not Atlantic or Pacific and do things there way and not everyone else way?

7. Katherine is eating them all because she thinks they are square snow balls?
hehehehehhe

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3. Many groups have vendors houses outside Luna. Also, Catskills Luna vendors represent a fairly limited number of affiliations across the shard.

I find this point quite interesting and was wondering whether there is any house that has public rune books with rune to active non-Luna vendor houses.

This would not only help those non Luna vendor houses but also players to widen their search for what they may need.

Does anyone know of any such place where one may find rune books to active vending Houses non located in Luna ?

If you need particular scrolls on Catskills, please post what those are here and I bet someone will have them for you.
As I told Lynk who kindly offered help, at this one time my priority is finding a 120 Archery Power Scroll.
Or, 7 Archery 115s as I have 3 binded together and with 7 more I could make a 120.

So, if anyone is feeling to help and has either a 120 Archery or a 115 Archery please PM me. Thanks.

C

CatLord

We were spawning last night, we will spawn again tonight... if you find us Pops, you are welcomed to share the fun. (we dont kill people at the spawns)

Maybe you get lucky and get your own 120 Archery...

Safe hunting.

PS: did two spawns since server up... good morning Catskills... (now is NAP time)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you were Lazarus, ... now you have a 115 archery.

I am not Lazarus and I need seven 115s to make a 120.........
One more would certainly be a start, but I would need 6 more anyways.

Anyways, I am not Lazarus so.......I still need a 120 or seven 115s...........

C

CatLord

Usually we spawn while the kids are in school/work or we use stealth spawners...

You can run solo spawns on Cats... specially Baracoon/Rikktor/Neira ones...
(just watch how some of our friends do it at Ice...)

I dont think I need to explain why you should have a stealth/tracker/detector/thief/ninja/protector (EP Ring helps)...

About spawning... please be ready to fight for what you want... or at least learn to plan ahead.

Threat vs Reward still applies on Catskills...

I'm sorry for not offering to sell you any scrolls... but that isn't my playstyle.
I wont give anything for free either... I believe people should get their own scrolls.

Good Luck.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry for not offering to sell you any scrolls... but that isn't my playstyle.
I wont give anything for free either... I believe people should get their own scrolls.

Unfortunately, some players only have a limited time to play which means, hardly any powergaming or ability to be there when it may be the best time and so forth....

So, while I can see how soloing anything in the game may be thrilling, it requires quite a lot of time both to train all needed skills or/and to get the items needed to go with the skills so as to be able to solo, at those times of the day when this is eventually possible, some spawns.

Lucky those who have the time, unfortunately, I don't, and I have to cope with whatever little time I can take away from my real life to spend on an online game.

That is why, sometimes, finding an item on a vendor, particularly when it comes to Power Scrolls needed to play at a higher level, is a good thing, and when I say good, I mean for the game itself, not just for the player.

I would imagine that players play the game for entertainment so, having them happy helps the game, having them frustrated hurts the game.

Personally, and among other issues, of course, I think that the scarcity up for public sale of needed items like Power Scrolls on Catskills (or any other shard for that matter), hurts the game because it may frustrate players and some might decide to move on, to other games, perhaps.

Besides, I cannot see the point to spawn 120 Power Scrolls only to put them in secures taking up space. Putting them up for public sale if they are not needed would be beneficial to many other players on the shard, and so help the game.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you spent even 1/3 of the time you spent whining in this thread alone doing a spawn you could probably have a few 115s by now.

L

LyraDarkstar

Not to mention that if you do not have time to do a spawn how can you ever expect to have time to raise archery to 120?

C

CatLord

If you spent even 1/3 of the time you spent whining in this thread alone doing a spawn you could probably have a few 115s by now.
Well said... :next:

Hum, some members asked me to explain in detail what we're doing so here goes.

A:
Due to the fact that some guilds raid and also spawn there was created a civil movement... called the Economical Sanctions.

The procedure is simple... we collect info on the raiding characters and their guilds... and related guilds... looking for their vendors... or related vendors.
Then we share the knowledge among the community and stop buying from those vendors.
Usually each guild is given three chances to stop raiding... and if/when the raided spawners post three pictures of raids with the same players/guild... then the information is mass sent using icq, uoforum private acess and stratics pm...
So far it proved to bring alot of drama... so instead of advertizing it... we are spawning and posting the names/pictures of the raiding players/guilds... then adding their merchants to these Sanctions.

B:
We're also spawning and transfering powerscrolls, replicas and stat scrolls from Drachs... usually once per month... (the Jamie crew...)
But this is slowing down because we're spawning alot more on Catskills...

C:
We give the above to the training members... usually starting with 110s and moving up... but asking everyone to spawn and get their own 120s... it is alot more fun... plus they learn alot about the shard who is who...

Maybe... maybe... that is why Catskills has so little powerscrolls for sale.

... and maybe this was the answer you already knew... if so... please, no more drama.

L

Lord Roland

Curious myself as to why you seem unable to find any 120 scrolls for sale. I myself actually have 12 120 scrolls on my vendor right now INSIDE Luna's walls. I know several other vendors with several 120 scrolls. Seems to me you only are looking at one or 2 vendors and calling it quits on searching for them. Like Flutter said above, try using a searching site and maybe you will see that Catskills in fact has several 120 scrolls for sale. (57 for sale at the time of this post)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just found the "fact" that our shard only had 3 120 scrolls in all of luna terribly hard to believe. So I took a look around. What did I find? Well, plenty of legendary powerscrolls of various skills. I counted over 50 scrolls on various vendors. Granted there was no archery included in them that I noticed, but archery is in high demand, so I'm not surprised in that respect.

So Popps, I don't know where you're getting your information, but it appears flawed. The Catskills scroll supply appears to be in fine shape. Maybe next time instead of restating the same "question" over and over, you might want to read some of the answers your given, and do some actual research on your own. Good luck finding your archery scroll.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How all is relative.....

What I see as legitimate complaint (and a concern for the better being of a shard I play...), that of a shard where, as compared to other shards, there looks to be an unusual scarcity of Power Scrolls up for public sale, others see it as whining.....

I did not ask for nothing free, I was merely trying to find out the causes for what I consider an oddity of the Catskills shard when I look at other shards with plenty (by the hundreds) of 120 Power Scrolls up for public sale.

How can this be seen as whining beats me............

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to mention that if you do not have time to do a spawn how can you ever expect to have time to raise archery to 120?

Without using the Power Scroll I cannot even "start" trying to raise the skill........

Besides, it is easier to raise a skill in the random little time I can play (can hunt anything anywhere) rather than being able to commit X time needed for a Peerless of a Champion hunt which require a specific time because if one has to quit before finishing it all the effort is lost.

But no Power Scroll means not even the ability to start trying raising the skill one decimal at a time........

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How all is relative.....

What I see as legitimate complaint (and a concern for the better being of a shard I play...), that of a shard where, as compared to other shards, there looks to be an unusual scarcity of Power Scrolls up for public sale, others see it as whining.....

How can this be seen as whining beats me............
The thing is it is not a legitimate complaint, there are plenty of scrolls for sale. You are either too lazy or you're having too much fun trolling a thread.

I honestly don't believe you are as dumb as you pretend. I think you are an excellent forum troll - capable of drawing myself into your trolls (and I know its coming). I tip my hat.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The thing is it is not a legitimate complaint, there are plenty of scrolls for sale. You are either too lazy or you're having too much fun trolling a thread.

I honestly don't believe you are as dumb as you pretend. I think you are an excellent forum troll - capable of drawing myself into your trolls (and I know its coming). I tip my hat.
Don't lie, you're not wearing a hat.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
57 for sale at the time of this post

Well, even considering that figure, 57 that is, it still is far from the hundreds that some other shards see up for sale. Like the about 300 on Atlantic or the above 200 on Pacific, for example.

Sure, the population on Catskills might be lower, but not "that" much lower and, besides, a lower population means less competition for spawning AND, less players buying the spawned scrolls = more scrolls sitting unsold, on vendors.........

Hence, I would expect a shard like Catskills to have a LOT more Power Scrolls up for sale, publicly, than it has, even considering a 57 figure.........

But it doesn't, and I thought there could have been some logical explaination to this shortage of sorts.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you still need it I have a +20 archery lying around that I would sell.
I have no clue as to what going rates are anymore though.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't seen a lot of PS's or other scrolls for sale on cats since the spring cleaning. With the recent introduction of the scroll binders combining them is worth storing and not selling scrolls.

Aside from the mechanical use of scrolls there are a lot of larger guilds on Cats and many are tucked away for guild use or kept for friends/family. The lack of sales on Cats has more to do with the demographic of the shard than any conspiracy or nonsense.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Right, but saying that I tip my eye patch doesn't really mean the same thing, plus no one wants to see whats behind my eye patch.
No, but I'd like to take a peek under that fig leaf.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will personally deliver FOR FREE every 120 in this game to you popps if you meet me at a certain place at a certain time in fel. Pretty please. I want to thank you personally for the time you put into "improving" our shard by pointing out it's problems as you see it. Don't be surprised by the line of folks ready to shake your hand and give you their Catskills MVP award. Corp Por!

Oh yeah, 75 120's for sale in Luna right now. I have my "gift pack" ready!!