• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why all the WoW talk?

G

For the past few weeks I've noticed World of Warcraft get mentioned on posts daily and then people say how much it sucks. If you guys don't like WoW that's cool. I just don't understand all the hatred towards it. They don't talk about you, why talk about them.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

For the past few weeks I've noticed World of Warcraft get mentioned on posts daily and then people say how much it sucks. If you guys don't like WoW that's cool. I just don't understand all the hatred towards it. They don't talk about you, why talk about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because UO does not have 6 million subsribers (Sorry if figure off, that last figure I heard). WoW does not worry about the 60k subs that UO has. UO worries about how few we have, and how WoW keeps gaining.

I personally dont care about WoW. Nothing good or bad to say about it. I prefer UO as I am still having fun playing it. If I ever get bored of EA and freeshards (Highly unlikely) I might go try out WoW. Doubt it will ever happen though.

I

imported_Skrag

Because the crowd around here has some massive inferiority complex where they think the game has like 2k players left, but if the devs would only patch (insert whatever the wah-wah topic of the week is) then suddenly the game would be bigger than ever. It's ********.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

WoW does not worry about the 60k subs that UO has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to slip in something you can't possibly know as fact.

My guess? 100k, give or take.

One difference between us? I admit it's a guess.

-Galen's player

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a game that most people will have played, of course it's going to be mentioned... what's the big deal? For every post I see with a WoW reference I see 50 "omg why must we talk about WoW" posts from posters who aren't even engaged in the conversation.

Heck I'm more concerned about the thousands of "KR is crap" posts. It's great to criticise but it's even greater to provide some form of intelligent feedback.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is because WoW is so big in the field (and does it REALLY matter if they have 6 million or only 3 million?) that every other game starts off as being "Not WoW."

It's like Linux, Windows, and Mac OS.

Windows is so dominant, that the other 2 start as "not Windows." And only after that, are they considered on their own merits. Their first definition is "we are not Windows."

The first definition of UO or any other MMORPG that isn't WoW is "we are not WoW."

-Galen's player

G

lol its kinda funny to see the debate.

long ago UO was the biggest it even made the book of world records.
but UO,s Devs let evil prevail!

then wow came and took its place.

those of us who left UO and played wow were so angry that it did not replace UO in every way left WoW and returned to UO to teach WoWs Devs a lesson!

In this way the great migration atempts to train the Devs of WoW and UO to comply with the many wishes and demands of its whims what ever they may be as they arise subject to the weather and to any clause that may take precedence to the aforementioned grievance based upon presumption of the u suk greater then i ad infinitum.

In short these forums never cease to entertain

L

Lord_locke

I see more threads like these then I do of WoW posts. One thing I do think is funny though, just about every time someone has some suggestion about 'improving' the game some odd ball starts yelling "we don't need to copy crap from that *insert random name* game and if you squint and turn your head side ways your "idea" is a complete rip off from it!!!!"

It's like more people are starting to think no one could possibly come up with any creative ideas on their own.

On another note, last month WoW hit 10 million subs. There was an announcement about it on their front page even.

G

<blockquote><hr>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SItDfExHiho

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, randy pandas pouring ale down their chests with emoticons overhead, "El Amor" &amp; "El PvP" - I think I will learn Spanish just so I can try that game. Sounds like some Discovery Channel stuff. I could use a little of "las suavemente peludo osos del panda internetos que tienen aventuras y contacto sexual con extraños personas en las noche y las dia" in my life!

B

Babble

Never tried dofus, but it surely looks cute and is free to play with an itemshop.

*mumbles*

Really need to try it one day.

G

Hey, there's an English version...but the 'join' and 'download' links are not working.

Curse you, UO; always making other games servers stop working when I try to check out something new!

Behold the power of EAMythic.

B

Babble

Seems they fail though as POTC worked to download for me the last time

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

WOW? Isnt that this mmorpg educational game for noobs?

[/ QUOTE ]

No just for people who want an easy to play game dependant on game mechanics that Ultima 4 innovated 20+ years ago.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

No just for people who want an easy to play game dependant on game mechanics that Ultima 4 innovated 20+ years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

While Ultima 4 was innovative, it has nothing in common with WoW. The lineage for WoW basically goes:

Dungeons &amp; Dragons --&gt; DikuMUD --&gt; Everquest --&gt; World of Warcraft

Also, don't hate on WoW just because it's successful. It's a much different kind of game from UO (which is why my UO account is still open) but it's the best there is at what it chooses to do.

O

Officerdg

I actually shut off 2 of my UO accounts and started a WOW acct a week ago. Its not that bad a game.

G

I had loved WoW but then came the nerf bat and after a hit with that i felt weak hitting anything, and then they changed PvP to a closed area deal w/ ranks and that was not my thing i just wanted to go out and war.

the instances required hours of time and at high lev you had to have friends to do anything and if you wernt living in the game your friends were gone and if you were in the mix you would be living at black rock forever.

in pick up groups the arogance started flowing like mad the kinds of folks you want to reach through the comp and throttle all that added up to a "hmm i wonder whats up with uo" thought.

but yes your right its not a bad game enjoy but dont close your UO acount youll regret as it you can only get a UO fix from UO.

L

Lugh Simaldinach

Beats me, tried it but didn't like it. WOW looks to me as if it is more for the mindless button pounders you see at the video arcades.

I took a look at the new Gariot game, but didn't get past the price tag.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

Beats me, tried it but didn't like it. WOW looks to me as if it is more for the mindless button pounders you see at the video arcades.

[/ QUOTE ]

like any game there's a little more skill than keyboard face rolling. Unless you were playing as a warlock.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

like any game there's a little more skill than keyboard face rolling. Unless you were playing as a warlock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tab+Dot+Fear = Watch TV