• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who's online in Forum?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old forums showed who was currently online at the bottom. Is this going to be coming?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The old forums showed who was currently online at the bottom. Is this going to be coming?
This isn't currently available, but I am trying to garner support for the idea at XenForo.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't currently available, but I am trying to garner support for the idea at XenForo.

Talking about old and new features, of the old system I found handy sometimes the fast visual check with a green or blue dot that a poster was logged on Stratics and also the info of what thread they might have been viewing.

I also liked more the "Preview" button present as default rather than having now to first press "more options" and then "preview". Now I have to do two steps to preview what I am posting while before I would simply post the preview button that was right there to see a preview of what I was posting.....

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
click on the link under the avatar, it will open a box which shows information about the poster, including their current activity. At the time I'm writing this your's says:
popps was last seen:
Viewing forum list, 2 minutes ago

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
click on the link under the avatar, it will open a box which shows information about the poster, including their current activity. At the time I'm writing this your's says:
popps was last seen:
Viewing forum list, 2 minutes ago

Thanks, what I still do not understand, is why it is in past tense (popps "was" XXX minutes ago..).

I mean, if a poster is no longer logged on Stratics than I understand the past tense. But if a poster is logged on Stratics why would the message not be on "present" tense rather than past tense ?
If popps is currently logged and viewing this thread, I would imagine that the link you mentioned should say that popps "is" viewing whatever rather than "was".......

I am also having a problem with the Box you mentioned. The background color, at least on my screen, is such that I cannot read the text unless I highlight it dragging the mouse over it since the highlighting makes the text white and shine over the dark background.
Without the highlighting, the blueish color of the text blends in the dark background and I cannot read it. Is there a way to change that box colors' settings ? How ?

Also, is there a way to have the "Jump to Forum" button displayed as the old system had ?

It was very handy for me if I wasnted to fastly jump to another Forum but I do not see it now available.
And I really would love to have the preview button be there right by the "Post Reply" button rather than having to first press the "more options" one........ I find this 2 steps process quite annoying.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 'jump to' has been replaced by the 'quick navigation' dialogue, accessed by clicking on the little diagonal arrow at the right hand side, top and bottom of the forum. I'm sorry some things have changed. If you would care to leave your suggestions in the thread Syrus started for the purpose I'm sure he'll look at them when he has a moment.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed, having a Who's Online mod would be nice. But part of the reason the new Stratics forum is so fast... is because it doesn't have one. Who's Online mods always slow down a forum, how much... depends on a lot of factors, but including how it is written and configured. Polling the data live uses a lot of CPU cycles on the server, polling cached data isn't as bad but still slows things down and is less accurate (which leads to Popps question).

Thanks, what I still do not understand, is why it is in past tense (popps "was" XXX minutes ago..).
The Doing What system is probably cached, just like Who's Online... Doing What slows down the server and makes it work harder, this slows down the response and the pages being served to user's side (your browser). So by caching that data, it won't be as bad.

As much as I like the Who's Online and Doing What... I prefer the speed of not having them. Just me.

Hope that helps.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 'jump to' has been replaced by the 'quick navigation' dialogue, accessed by clicking on the little diagonal arrow at the right hand side, top and bottom of the forum.
Thanks, is there a way to shorten the list to only display the UO related Forums on Stratics so has to avoid having, once clicked the 'quick navigation' arrow, to have to scroll down all of Stratics Forums in order to get to the Ultima Online related ones ?
What I would like to do is a fast jump to some other UO Forum I might be interested like click arrow, scroll just a few lines among the UO related Stratics' Forums and go there right away.

I'm sorry some things have changed. If you would care to leave your suggestions in the thread Syrus started for the purpose I'm sure he'll look at them when he has a moment.
I am ok with changes, just trying to see if I can keep using some old features which I have gotten used to and that I liked........

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are 'current visitors' and 'recent activity' links in a drop down from 'members' at the top. I don't know of any way to customize the navigation menu, sorry. What I am using most of the time is the 'what's new?' link, also at the top.