• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whoever decided mobs need to be able to disarm should be slapped in the mouth.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is just the worst thing. One of those things that screams I DON'T PLAY THIS GAME I JUST DEVELOP IT. Because on paper it seems like a fine idea. It's just one of the default weapon specials, why not give it to some mobs? There are already mobs with bleed attack and stuff, right? But in practice it's a debuff that increases the hit chance of every mob to 100% and ensures that you explode and die instantly if you're trying to melee more than one thing.

Imagine if disarm wasn't a weapon special and they just invented it recently. Like they just came up one day and made up a spell that reduced weapon skill to 0 so that everything hit you 100% of the time, and then they started giving that spell to random trash mobs because whatever.

Disarm belongs in PVP. In PVM it's just a big DON'T MELEE ME EVER sign.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree to a point. When I first ran my little sampire into the dragon turtle spawn, the disarm mechanic kicked me into the dirt more than once. It is defiantly frustrating, and requires me to focus more.

My biggest complaint with this added feature is the lack of game mechanics (outside of dryads and bards whom should all die in a blazing fire) that effects other classes. It seems the majority of the mob mechanics and the encounters they have added lately have been very specifically against Melee pvm classes. I would like to see the mechanics that make those bazillion greater dragons stand there looking stupid for a few minutes. Or even total anti-casting encounters/mechanics. I am pretty sure a lot of this stemmed from people complaining about sampires, but it has rose to the level of making melee templates almost useless in a lot of the new content. THAT is what I disagree with. Share the love, or in this case, hate equally please =)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find the teleport-you-in-then-wreck-you mechanic far more annoyingly lame than simple disarmament, that at least gives you a message and a chance to get away.

To see what I mean, try any kind of ranged attack against Zippy or one of the Night Terrors in Ter Mur.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just the worst thing. One of those things that screams I DON'T PLAY THIS GAME I JUST DEVELOP IT. Because on paper it seems like a fine idea. It's just one of the default weapon specials, why not give it to some mobs? There are already mobs with bleed attack and stuff, right? But in practice it's a debuff that increases the hit chance of every mob to 100% and ensures that you explode and die instantly if you're trying to melee more than one thing.

Imagine if disarm wasn't a weapon special and they just invented it recently. Like they just came up one day and made up a spell that reduced weapon skill to 0 so that everything hit you 100% of the time, and then they started giving that spell to random trash mobs because whatever.

The worst part is that you can't even BLOCK it. When Zippy was new, I went on my thrower and sampire, both with level 3 mastery, 120 in their weap skill. Thrower had 120 tactics, I was getting Tactics up (and adding Anat) on samp to do more to Zippy with AI. Not ONCE did Disarm fail against either character.

I find the teleport-you-in-then-wreck-you mechanic far more annoyingly lame than simple disarmament, that at least gives you a message and a chance to get away.

To see what I mean, try any kind of ranged attack against Zippy or one of the Night Terrors in Ter Mur.
As do I. Tonight's event on LS was like that with the boss - I kept trying to get away to heal myself while my greater was on it, and it worked for a while, but the damage from the fire fields eventually got to me (and my pet died too) with the constant teleporting that went with it (which was also a pain in the ass at the last Legends event, but at least tonight the area was more wide open.) Had I gone on a sampire tonight, I doubt I have any issues w/it. EM Chimaera, if you ever read this: less teleport-y monsters like the one you used tonight, especially if you do an event in an enclosed area.

Teleport (if ranged) that can go into disarm like Zippy does? Good luck with that, especially if the RNG decides to have it do that triple AI thing. I was fighting HOT the other day in Despise and, like a moron, decided to take on an automaton (Hi @Acid Rain. hahaha) while I was in stat. It ate me alive with a VERY quick 3-hit special attack that dealt 105 damage. While it's fun to kill people with it, it's not so much fun when you're on the receiving end.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Or the absolutely enormous stat debuff the dessicated larvae in the Kotl place apply. Like I just know some developer went "Stat debuff, that sounds like a good thing to give a mob, right?" and didn't think about it any more deeply than that. Because if they had, they'd have thought "Hey I just gave this trivial mob the ability to unequip players armor and dump it to their backpack, that sounds incredibly obnoxious and annoying!"

And yeah they love crapping on melee in a really inept sort of way. Like instead of looking at the dominance of sampires, looking at the circumstances that allow stacking bushido, chivalry, and necromancy into a single template, and then trying to change that situation in a way that brings other templates up to par without making sampires even more godly, they just go "ADD CORRUPTED LIFE AND DISARM SO THEY LOG IN THEIR TAMER INSTEAD LOL" and call it good.

I cut the devs slack on the amount of stuff they can get done since they have a small team and since UO is a crusty pile of spaghetti code that probably takes five times as long to do anything with as it ought to. But this kind of stuff, where they just don't think something through past a superficial surface level? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game is pretty balanced, if u dont like getting disarmed for a couple seconds go and sacrifice some skills by picking wresling, or eval+anat simple :) the disarm timer isnt a big of a deal anyway, the devs also added a disarm penalty, not sure if it applies for mobs but it is just great for pvp balance

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Game is pretty balanced, if u dont like getting disarmed for a couple seconds go and sacrifice some skills by picking wresling, or eval+anat simple :) the disarm timer isnt a big of a deal anyway, the devs also added a disarm penalty, not sure if it applies for mobs but it is just great for pvp balance
Nobody's putting wrestling on a sampire and nobody is talking about PVP balance, go sit down somewhere.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id like to see more mobs that can disarm, and be disarmed in the future. And mobs that hit hard without disarm abilities and can be disarmed. Mobs should start to have skills like swords instead of wresling

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
Ditto.

I'm also not a fan of the lose-a-swing mechanism implemented to nerf Chivalry and Bushido in Nov 2015 which appears to have been a Bleak-only idea thing.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody's putting wrestling on a sampire and nobody is talking about PVP balance, go sit down somewhere.
Who is nobody? There is always somebody, and thats exactly what a care bear like you should do.

Now cry me a river Mr "i dont want to get disarmed!"

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Id like to see more mobs that can disarm, and be disarmed in the future. And mobs that hit hard without disarm abilities and can be disarmed. Mobs should start to have skills like swords instead of wresling
Go disarm a dread pirate and watch as he beats you and your pets into oblivion, i've seen it, it ain't pretty.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who is nobody? There is always somebody, and thats exactly what a care bear like you should do.

Now cry me a river Mr "i dont want to get disarmed!"
Sampire concept:

Do maximum damage to a mob in order to gain maximum healing from vamperic embrace. How much damage are you going to do with wrestling? Your statement demonstrates that you know very little about pvm so please at least do some research before making uninformed statements.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This game is too easy. We need more challenges. There is nothing wrong with the disarm tactic, in my humble opinion. It sucks. It's annoying when it happens and you die... but that does not make it a bad game mechanic. It adds to the challenge of doing various encounters, such as with Kotl City and the automatons that do this.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sampire concept:

Do maximum damage to a mob in order to gain maximum healing from vamperic embrace. How much damage are you going to do with wrestling? Your statement demonstrates that you know very little about pvm so please at least do some research before making uninformed statements.
Lol so i presume u thought im asking to switch swords with wrestle? My god! Why everytime i mention the word carebears 10 of them jump straigh on me??? Did u just waste 5secs of my precious time explaining how a sampire functions???

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game is too easy. We need more challenges. There is nothing wrong with the disarm tactic, in my humble opinion. It sucks. It's annoying when it happens and you die... but that does not make it a bad game mechanic. It adds to the challenge of doing various encounters, such as with Kotl City and the automatons that do this.
Thank god someone still appreciates the variety of challenges and the game is offering!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol so i presume u thought im asking to switch swords with wrestle? My god! Why everytime i mention the word carebears 10 of them jump straigh on me??? Did u just waste 5secs of my precious time explaining how a sampire functions???
And what pre tell would you replace? Anatomy? Resisting spells? There is zero logical sense to put wrestling on a sampire. As far as your precious time obviously you still don't understand the mechanics with pvm builds anymore than I understand pvp mechanics.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What seems more likely to you: 1) everyone who wants to fight in the area wrecks their templates by adding wrestling simply to not instantly die when they get disarmed or 2) people just stop fighting any monsters that disarm.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What seems more likely to you: 1) everyone who wants to fight in the area wrecks their templates by adding wrestling simply to not instantly die when they get disarmed or 2) people just stop fighting any monsters that disarm.
Option 3:
Stop crying and making silly posts by slapping the devs, and accept the challenge of getting disarmed for 8sec

& as @Smoot mentioned "saving throw" mastery ftw

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was fighting HOT the other day in Despise and, like a moron, decided to take on an automaton (Hi @Acid Rain. hahaha) while I was in stat. It ate me alive with a VERY quick 3-hit special attack that dealt 105 damage.
I haven't laughed that hard in awhile so thanks bro :). I dropped down & gotta give u credit... no hesitation... u attacked right off the bat. Unfortunately for you I had just hit my whispered "All Guard Me" macro seconds before which is why it was so fast to jump on you.:twak:

I have tested them for that special hit and honestly it doesn't hit often at all. In like 5 mins of fighting friends it went off MAYBE twice. Usually it seems once every 5 mins or so. That day it went off on the very first shot which really shocked me. I think you were on the crap side of a damn lucky RNG.:gee:

Devs have always thrown in the shocker here and there. Look at Dreadhorns MASSIVE debuff just to name one. I'm glad to see them being creative with disarms. They do a good job of throwing the shocker up ur b-hole every now and then;).

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Option 3:
Stop crying and making silly posts by slapping the devs, and accept the challenge of getting disarmed for 8sec

Saving throw DOES NOT WORK in pvm. People have fought Zippy multiple times, as well as the dinosaurs in the Turtle Spawn. Disarm went off every time, even at level 3 with 120 Tactics and 120 Weap skill (thrower), as I said in my last post; my Sampire should have been able to block attempts with Parry as well, but nope.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saving throw DOES NOT WORK in pvm. People have fought Zippy multiple times, as well as the dinosaurs in the Turtle Spawn. Disarm went off every time, even at level 3 with 120 Tactics and 120 Weap skill (thrower), as I said in my last post; my Sampire should have been able to block attempts with Parry as well, but nope.
Ok thats another thing then ^^ ill test that out myself

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Option 3:

That option is outside of the scenario presented. I was responding to the your, frankly silly, suggestion of adding wrestling to a melee template to deal with the disarming.

My general point being, that it was a silly suggested solution to the problem. Mastery disarm block is a much more reasonable one, except it doesn't work.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll second that. I've done a bunch of Zippy trips as the tank and with 120 mace / 120 tactics or 120 swords / 120 tactics I was getting disarmed quite a bit. I definitely have the weapons mastery active since I use tons of stagger and onslaughts. I'm not sure if there's a message if you do successfully make a save against disarm, though, and I haven't run Zippy without a level 3 weapon mastery running so I'm not sure if I'd get disarmed more without it.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Adding necro casting to a mob adds challenge. It lets the mob AOE, DOT, create summons, reflect damage, and generally gives a player a lot more to think about during the encounter. Move it away from corpses it might animate, be prepared for target-switching when it withers, etc etc.

By comparison, adding disarm to a mob just makes it irritating and cheap. There's no warning, no real counter, and nothing to think about. If you see your weapon pop to your pack and aren't dead instantly, walk off and stand there for a minute. Gosh how exciting. More realistically, you just bring your archer or something and forget about it completely. Same as the stat debuff, same as the corrupted life, it's not a mechanic that adds gameplay, it's just a mechanic that tells you to use a different template.

Like hey I've got it, they should add a monster that shoves your weapon AND armor into your pack if you fight it with a melee character! Think of the challenge! Wh-wh-what? Everyone would just kill it with archers and tamers and nothing would be any different past the character select screen? B-b-but challenge!

Option 3:
So far all you've done is come in and make a rock-stupid suggestion about crapping up a sampire template with wrestling, fail to know that saving throw doesn't work in PVM, and call people "carebears" like you're so much better than everyone despite not knowing anything. Typical obnoxious PVP tryhard.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This game is too easy. We need more challenges. .
I agree, but I don't think nerfing what we have is the way to do it (unless it's actually overpowering). There are already mechanics that can be strong against one template (or several) and weak to others, (IMO) That is the kind of challenge we need in pvm. Unfortunately, the dev team doesn't seem to be very good at balancing the quality of loot with the difficulty of the encounter(s).

We'll end up with something like Cora (decent challenge though)... Anti-group encounter with a loot table slightly higher than a Balron... =X

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That option is outside of the scenario presented. I was responding to the your, frankly silly, suggestion of adding wrestling to a melee template to deal with the disarming.
My suggestion picking wrestling was to wind up some care bears.

Job done!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll second that. I've done a bunch of Zippy trips as the tank and with 120 mace / 120 tactics or 120 swords / 120 tactics I was getting disarmed quite a bit. I definitely have the weapons mastery active since I use tons of stagger and onslaughts. I'm not sure if there's a message if you do successfully make a save against disarm, though, and I haven't run Zippy without a level 3 weapon mastery running so I'm not sure if I'd get disarmed more without it.
I haven't done it often - the last time I tried to disarm someone (testing it on an afk guildmate), I had 5 unsuccessful attempts, each one saying something like "Your disarm attempt has been blocked"

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't done it often - the last time I tried to disarm someone (testing it on an afk guildmate), I had 5 unsuccessful attempts, each one saying something like "Your disarm attempt has been blocked"
Right, but I wonder if your guildmate got a message saying "You blocked the disarm attempt." I don't recall seeing anything like that when a monster tries to disarm me so I wonder if I'm actually blocking anything at all, a small percentage or a large percentage.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd be okay with it if Saving Throw worked at all in PvM. As far as I can tell, it does nothing.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On KOTL outside of the Spawn, the larvae have the best drop rate. Get a hit area effect axe, with mana leech that has whirl wind. You can get an average drop rate of 5 per hour.

Enziet

Journeyman
Admit it. Your all just sad because the Dragon Turtle disarmed you and killed you in one hit cause your HP isn't high enough to be an effective melee :p (Macefighter) I was able to survive the disarm just fine. Frankly it's a welcomed feature to me. Especially the monster ability to teleport you to them. I'm already there :D just wailing away on the Turtle... watching all the ranged die in one hit... heheh

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think disarm is fine but annoying. its a little more of a challenge where I cant just sit there and kill whatever.

Last edited:

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This argument explains the whole situation Mr "im gona break my keyboard! I got disarmed!"

i wonder what would u do if trammel didn't exist sit inside your house and place some food ur house sign saying "Peace! dont disarm me pleace!"

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This argument explains the whole situation Mr "im gona break my keyboard! I got disarmed!"

i wonder what would u do if trammel didn't exist sit inside your house and place some food ur house sign saying "Peace! dont disarm me pleace!"
Not a single post you have made in this thread has been helpful or informative. Don't you have an innocent miner to go kill?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran

If Trammel didn't exist I'd play one of the multitude of other PVM games out there, occasionally remembering how UO shut down in disgrace after a few years thanks to unrestricted PK garbage. There's a reason your ilk haven't had anything better to do for the last 15 years than sit around complaining about how empty Felucca is and begging for a retro shard that never comes. It's the same reason every "recapturing the magic of early UO" game that ever came out was an obscure flop. Nobody cares.

But hey keep up this tiresome tryhard routine. I'll bet all the other pro-gamers out there are super impressed at how elite you supposedly are at a forty-year old MMO they've never heard of.

Admit it. Your all just sad because the Dragon Turtle disarmed you and killed you in one hit cause your HP isn't high enough to be an effective melee :p (Macefighter) I was able to survive the disarm just fine. Frankly it's a welcomed feature to me. Especially the monster ability to teleport you to them. I'm already there :D just wailing away on the Turtle... watching all the ranged die in one hit... heheh
Who the hell still does the Dragon Turtle? What, you hoping to cash in selling one of those stupid eggs for 2m or something? Wow, you're so impressive. No, surviving disarm against a single target isn't really the issue.

Seriously, any time you post about how X is annoying, cheap, or whatever, some sadsack gets all excited at the chance to try and buff their self-esteem and has to make a post with no actual content about how THEY don't mind X because THEY'RE so much better.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, any time you post about how X is annoying, cheap, or whatever, some sadsack gets all excited at the chance to try and buff their self-esteem and has to make a post with no actual content about how THEY don't mind X because THEY'RE so much better.
Pretty sure everything that disarms also has the ability to teleport (or run at Paragon speed - can't remember if Virtuebane in Shadowguard can disarm), so you can't even kill with a ranged dexer w/out having to run. But artificial difficulty is still stupid - teleporting idc, but when they can throw disarm into the mix, which makes the encounter unnecessarily long and boring? No thank you. I could overlook the teleport/disarm/whatever other gimmick a boss has IF the loot didn't suck. Sadly, this is the case for Zippy (meh, given how easy he is, not surprised), and the Harrower (considering the summoning condition and that pvp is likely, it really should have better loot...)

While I'm at it, Shadowguard could use a bump in the drop rate of items, in particular the Cameo. It's the only thing that still sells for over 100m out of all the drops, and in all the runs I've done, I've never even SEEN one (for that matter, most of the time, when I do go, I end up getting absolutely nothing in my backpack.)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There is no tram where I play. :/

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no tram where I play. :/
Also no players :/ ..in all seriousness though, I've always wondered why people play siege in its current state. The devs don't care about y'all. Yes there's a small good community, but I mean there's 1000's of people who play the free shards with no tram. If my shard of choice was siege. It wouldn't be for long... what are the reason(s) you play there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what are the reason(s) you play there?
Siege is the only UO shard I would play. Siege's only serious (albeit fairly serious) problem is a lack of players. Tram and insurance ruined the other shards for me pretty much as soon as they were introduced.