• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

who thinks all this occupy whatever Wallstreet/UO whatever ..........

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is a bunch of folks who don't want to work for stuff being real life or in game,
:pie:
I seen a sign locally that really put me off, and i am a person who looks at almost every aspect of something before forming my opinion but the sign said "I have 50k in school loans and no job" the person had a degree in Art History now who in their right mind would rack up 50k in collage in art history expecting to have it apply to real world jobs

MY opinion:coco: is this occupy whatever is a bunch of folks who refuse to learn or want to know what real work is and/or do not want to get their hands dirty

*/endrant/

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am just gonna nudge this a bit... Incoming OT mods!

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just gonna nudge this a bit... Incoming OT mods!
im trying not to be locked down but ot fits fine =):danceb:
I'm not really a fan of the Occupy movement myself.

However Corporate America need serious reigning in.

Take Walmart 99% of the employees in any store are hourly and only make minimum wage. What's worse is they will work them 40 hrs. They work them like fulltime employees yet pay the crap and they have NO benefits.
I despise Walmart.

I'm also sick of companies taking jobs to India or whateveristan where they can pay the the poor souls 20 dollars a week and line their pockets.

I have watch my town of Tulsa, OK bleed jobs we've had Quickset locks move their plant to Mexico, Zebco reels moved there plant to China, American Airlines is moving to Dallas, Wilcom was bought by Level 3 Communication and moved to Denver, and EDS close their operations in Tulsa because Travelocity outsouce its reservations to ARGENTINA.

The jobs that stayed in the US I can live with but the one going overseas **** ME OFF! There are so many people out of work in the Tulsa area its been a strain on the food banks. Its about to get worse as American Airlines will start its move to Dallas next and it is one of the largest employers in Tulsa.

Are you mad yet? Does it break your heart? It damn well should!

Its our country we need to take it back!

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i understand the frustration SOME of these occupy folks are protesting, but the majority are jumping the bandwagon in my crazy thought process, who have made their own bed by the poor choices they made in life, and now do not want to lay in the bed they made for them selfs.

As far as the Walmart part time 40 hour employees, it is their choice to stay with that company, and they could possibly find different employment with benefits, but I do not feel sorry for anyone who CHOOSES to stay working for any company that works someone 40 hours and considers them part time, Walmart is NOT the only company people can work for, it is a choice and if people do not like their own choices it is within their power to change the direction, in most cases, of their choices.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
am I mad, does it break my heart? depends, as far as food, me and my children raise our own chickens, pigs and certain vegetables, we also trade eggs and chickens for different things we want, different veggies, and at times toiletries soap, toothpaste, toilet paper etc. it is not hard but becoming self sufficient which i am teaching my children how to do, is necessary in my mind. I do have a full time job, and we tend our little farm. yes my 11 yo can pluck a chicken for dinner if i ask her to, not many people in today society can ask their 11 yo to do it and it be completed.

I am sorry anyone who puts their mind to it can grow their own veggies, apartments have porches and tomatoes and squash can be grown on a patio, no farm needed.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
am I mad, does it break my heart? depends, as far as food, me and my children raise our own chickens, pigs and certain vegetables, we also trade eggs and chickens for different things we want, different veggies, and at times toiletries soap, toothpaste, toilet paper etc. it is not hard but becoming self sufficient which i am teaching my children how to do, is necessary in my mind. I do have a full time job, and we tend our little farm. yes my 11 yo can pluck a chicken for dinner if i ask her to, not many people in today society can ask their 11 yo to do it and it be completed.

I am sorry anyone who puts their mind to it can grow their own veggies, apartments have porches and tomatoes and squash can be grown on a patio, no farm needed.
I tend to agree with your basic philosophy. Of course there will always be people in our society who definitely require and deserve help -- the handicapped, for example, or those with serious illnesess of one kind or another that may make it impossible for them to work -- but the able-bodied can usually support themselves if they really want to, even in a poor economy. My own parents did it during the Great Depession. (Yes, I'm old.)

I was a single parent for a number of years. I worked full-time and raised my children without outside assistance, but I was never a high earner. My son rose above our limited financial circumstances through hard work and student loans, and is now a very successful attorney in a private firm. My daughter worked part-time while in high school, then went on to university (also through student loans) and is now a teacher. They didn't have handouts and I couldn't afford to pay their tuition, but both of them had the drive to achieve their goals and did so.

I think a great deal of the dissatisfaction we see today stems from a distorted notion that "equality" means having what others have, regardless of what effort may have been put forth to obtain it. There seems to be an ever-growing resentment against the very wealthy, along with an unfortunate tendency to view wealthy people as the enemy. Certainly some individuals may have been unethical on their way to the top -- something I will neither deny or defend -- but I believe the majority of successful people have earned what they have by cultivating their talents and working very hard to achieve their goals. And not all of us can become wealthy. We all have different talents, different personalities and different stress theshholds, etc.; but we all have equal value as unique individuals, however diverse our financial circumstances may be.

There is nothing wrong with wanting more in life, but I believe each of us should actually expect to earn whatever we wish to acquire. I'm not among the wealthy. I'm retired now and quite content with my small home and small pension. Like you, I take pleasure in raising a few veggies, keeping a few chickens, and living within my means. I honestly don't envy anyone who has more. They worked for it, and as far as I'm concerned, it's theirs. :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is a bunch of folks who don't want to work for stuff being real life or in game,
:pie:
I seen a sign locally that really put me off, and i am a person who looks at almost every aspect of something before forming my opinion but the sign said "I have 50k in school loans and no job" the person had a degree in Art History now who in their right mind would rack up 50k in collage in art history expecting to have it apply to real world jobs

MY opinion:coco: is this occupy whatever is a bunch of folks who refuse to learn or want to know what real work is and/or do not want to get their hands dirty

*/endrant/

Well, my opinion is that a society needs also expert people in the humanities like arts, phylosophy, litterature etc. in order to advance to a higher degree of civilization.

And, it is also my opinion, that the society should not leave these fields of experteese only to wealthy people but to all those who are interested in these cultural fields, be them wealhty or less wealthy............

As I see it, I think mankind has developed way too fast technologically and much less quickly in the humanities........

I'd rather have seen mankind advance first more in the humanities and afterwards also technologically, I think it would mean a better world for all living in it............

T

Ta_Mira

i understand the frustration SOME of these occupy folks are protesting, but the majority are jumping the bandwagon in my crazy thought process, who have made their own bed by the poor choices they made in life, and now do not want to lay in the bed they made for them selfs.

As far as the Walmart part time 40 hour employees, it is their choice to stay with that company, and they could possibly find different employment with benefits, but I do not feel sorry for anyone who CHOOSES to stay working for any company that works someone 40 hours and considers them part time, Walmart is NOT the only company people can work for, it is a choice and if people do not like their own choices it is within their power to change the direction, in most cases, of their choices.
I think you should find out the facts about Wal-mart before making sweeping statements. So let me enlighten you. The real problem isn't being part time and getting full time hours. It is being full time and getting your hours cut. In this economy it is hard to find steady work so Wal-mart knows they have you. They are cutting benefits of full time employees and some of us have been there long enough that we can't just go find another job without taking a huge pay cut. Also some can't leave due to preexisting health conditions that means they can't give up the health insurance.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I don't work for wallmart. That being said I do know labor law. If you work 40 hours a week then you are moved to a full time employee. I know that some people do not want to believe this, but that’s the case. Most of the wallmart part timers work up to 39 hours in the holiday season so they are kept from going for part time to full time. That being said many of the smaller companies do something even worse call per diem. Those workers are essentially wage slaves because they have no benefits no set schedule and are in some ways contractor. Additionally I do know some people that work for wallmart and while those near me are screwed those in the middle of my state do pretty well. Of course that is because wallmart does not pay minimum wage, but hey why let the truth get in the way of a good talking point. I am a veteran and I got my BA in history from a top 100 school. I paid my own way the whole time and I have been unable to get a job in my field and have had to bust hump to find anything. Is that right or fair no, but then what did I expect the colleges are willing to give any moron a degree. All I want to do is save up enough to get a PhD. If that means that I have to work my ass off to save up well then that’s what I have to do. The trash out there in the street, those are the same whiney brats that I have been dealing with since I left HS and let me tell you if they had clue one about working they would not be out there. Because someone is paying to feed them, someone is paying their rent. I would like to see how well they did without someone backing them up. The one thing I could tell you is that they sure wouldn't be out there messing with those trying to work.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not only am I a Veteran, served 13 years 3 months 12 days, AT1 (AW/SW) but also take care of my own and my kids can do the same, i do occupy something and that is my home, granted it is not a mansion nor is it elaborate by any means, but it is comfortable, it is almost paid for and my vehicles are paid for. I do not try to over extend myself and before making a major purchase i think long and hard if we really need it? so what i don't have flat screen televisions in my home but there are televisions in the home and even with televisions they are on maybe a hour a night and that is during the local news, when the kids are not piddling out on the property, they are reading books and that is their choice, i have not forced them to do that, they took it on themselves to read opposed watch a box with little educational purpose. My feelings are that NO ONE is in a endless situation, as far as being locked into a position or job due to health conditions, other jobs exist that pay similarly if not more and take over the insurance premiums. from what i see Walmart takes part of the premium out of ones paycheck, and pays part, making no one tied to Walmart.

If anyone looks hard enough there is a way to get a job that does not put you in a dead end job. sure you may not be in air conditioning while working but it was not until the last 50 years that there have been air conditioned jobs.

**Edited part**, My friend enlightened me that Walmart pays bi weekly, meaning that a pay cycle is 14 days, one can work 40 hours one week and work 39 the next, making the average 39.5 for the week and not meeting the 80 hour minimum or hitting 79 hours in a pay period not making one eligible for full time benefits

T

Ta_Mira

Actually full time hours at Wal-mart is 32 hours or more per week and a part timer can work full time hours for 6 weeks I think before Wal-mart will either make them full time or they cut them back to part time hours. Home office will notify store management who will then cut the persons hours. I have not really heard anyone complain of getting to many hours at the stores I have worked. However I have had full time employees complain because their hours are cut to 32 hours or even below. Oh also if you are one of the real long time employees full time benefits starts at 28 hours.

Preexisting health problems may not be cover by another insurance company. I know people that the only reason they still work there is because of that. However with the way Wal-mart is cutting benefits and raising premimums soon that will no longer be an issue because most who work there can no longer afford the insurance.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take Walmart 99% of the employees in any store are hourly and only make minimum wage. What's worse is they will work them 40 hrs. They work them like fulltime employees yet pay the crap and they have NO benefits.
I despise Walmart.
As a former Walmart employee, guess who's wrong as usual?

Jirel of Joiry!

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's a slightly different problem.
Our parents and their parents before them had it hard. They had to work for the money, the house and everything in it. But if they did, slowly but almost surely they made it - house paid in full, full time secure job, getting kids through college, some savings for the retirement and the retirement as such.

Tha kids who get into the job market have nothing like that - mortgages are 40 years and it's not easy to get a loan, paycheck to paycheck literally, i.e. not paycheck to paycheck and something put away for a rainy day like it used to be - more likely paycheck to paycheck and more C/C debt at the end of the month. Pension? Retirement? What's that? And how far can you go working a few months at a time, no decent contract, no benefits, no job security?

As a society (western) we were supposed to progress - get richer and happier - and we didn't. Young people are facing the Great Depression all over again. And they did nothing wrong, nor did they parents, so wtf?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too many people. We need to get rid of at least 30% of the planet.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aran, I'd like to volunteer you for expiremental brain surgery at the University Oklahoma school of Medicine.

They'll pay you for your time and take care of all the medical expenses involved.

Oh, and you won't feel a thing cause they'll knock you out first.

:D :D :D

I'm sure you'll be much improved after they mess with your brain!

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I appreciate that there is such a diverse group of people that have been struck by a variety of problems, fiscal or workrelated due to the decisions of the few.

Very frustrating to lose your job, or find yourself having racked up a debt due to actions that you have no chance in affecting and possibly no education to foresee.

Regular "Wallmart" worker (lets call him Aran) takes out a mortgage on a house that his bank tells him he can afford. He propably can too.

Said bank then sells Arans long term loan payments for an instant cash injection to (lets call them GoldmanSachs) that they then use in gearing the investment of their mortgage porfolio by purchasing stocks/bonds or endulge in other high risk investments.

Investments fail, bank collapses and Arans mortgage now has to be refinanced through another bank.

Other bank claims that the house is not really worth what the previous bank stated. Due to the inflated market that was driven on high-risk investments and overprized loans the market collapses and leaves property values pummeling. Lets say that Arans house is now only worth 75% of what he paid for it. He's now technically insolvent and as a result he won't be able to get a loan to refinance the house at an established property bank.

Aran is forced to take on loans that cost more and has a higher risk than what he initially was provided to him through the bank that broke.

He has no way of recovering fiscally because his house can't be sold at a value he can afford to lose and is now simply accumulating more debt while waiting for the GoldmanSachs to foreclose on his house.

I don't blame Aran for not understanding the consequenses of bank investments that he wasn't informed about, as I don't blame undereducated or overanxious people that the market mechanics has hit them inadvertedly.

Theyre simply those 99% that can't predict those situations, like me.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why in the world would someone making minimal or minimum wage take out a mortgage on a house to begin with?

I have no sympathy for someone who took out a mortgage even if the bank told them they would give them a loan...la

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is also quite a bit of debt. The baby boom generation came of age during a huge surplus. They spent it all. Now its debt. Debt isn't great for growth so of course things have slowed down. That being said nobody is really looking at how to tackle the issue of loose money so its really not going to get any better. Unless it gets much much much worse.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kill all useless hippies.

And if you find a useful hippie, kill them too, just in case.

F

ForTheCity

I believe majority of the people who are doing occupy don't do it for the right reasons. They just go cause their friends are doing it and they just want to be part of something. idk, but thats my opinion.