• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whispering seems worthless

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK thought that whispering would be nice. I just found out hat the timer only runs while you are in game. That seems a bit pointless.
On another note, The timer starts at the end of the mastery and not at the begining. So on level one it is 10 minutes and then 1 hour wait.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With Lvl 3 Primer, it lasts for 10 minutes and has a 30 minute cooldown, so 1/3 uptime.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With Lvl 3 Primer, it lasts for 10 minutes and has a 30 minute cooldown, so 1/3 uptime.
Yeah well would be nice to have one but the chances of my getting one anytime in the next year or two is pretty slim.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yeah well would be nice to have one but the chances of my getting one anytime in the next year or two is pretty slim.
Is it easy to get a fel champ spawn on great lakes? I was getting level 3 primers pretty regularly from soloing champ spawns, you get 6 per and it seems that either luck or just the fact that its fel gives you a bonus to the level of primers you recieve. Doing illsh champs seemed to rarely give 2s let alone 3s (even though I have gotten 2 level 3 primers from illsh champs at this point).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is it easy to get a fel champ spawn on great lakes? I was getting level 3 primers pretty regularly from soloing champ spawns, you get 6 per and it seems that either luck or just the fact that its fel gives you a bonus to the level of primers you recieve. Doing illsh champs seemed to rarely give 2s let alone 3s (even though I have gotten 2 level 3 primers from illsh champs at this point).
Wouldn't know every time I've ever done a Fel champ it was raided never got a thing. Takes me FAR too long to do one solo... and whenever I mention trying one everyone groans. So I find it pointless. Since I can't go to another shard and get them then well... guessing I'm not getting one. Since I sure as hell am not going to pay 60M for one either.... considering I have 8 or so Tamers on GLs alone honestly not really sure I'll ever get any.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Wouldn't know every time I've ever done a Fel champ it was raided never got a thing. Takes me FAR too long to do one solo... and whenever I mention trying one everyone groans. So I find it pointless. Since I can't go to another shard and get them then well... guessing I'm not getting one. Since I sure as hell am not going to pay 60M for one either.... considering I have 8 or so Tamers on GLs alone honestly not really sure I'll ever get any.
I'm able to get spawns done on atlantic, I dont want to say when and where but It takes me 25 minutes to a baracoon and even shorter to do a neria--i don't bother with any other kind of spawn... yet.

I just copy what corpse does in his videos to get spawns done quickly, except I dont use lumberjacking like he does in this video I use necromancy because the survivability with vampire form is much better (for me) than the extra damage from LJ, his gear is almost perfect so he can get away with it, I found myself dying from not doing as much damage cause I'm not damage capped and I dont have 120 tactics like he does.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm able to get spawns done on atlantic, I dont want to say when and where but It takes me 25 minutes to a baracoon and even shorter to do a neria--i don't bother with any other kind of spawn... yet.

I just copy what corpse does in his videos to get spawns done quickly, except I dont use lumberjacking like he does in this video I use necromancy because the survivability with vampire form is much better (for me) than the extra damage from LJ, his gear is almost perfect so he can get away with it, I found myself dying from not doing as much damage cause I'm not damage capped and I dont have 120 tactics like he does.
Not really seeing myself doing all that just to do a 100 spawns and never once get the primer I want. Kinda like trying to get the Magery 120 or something... 50 spawns later still not getting one just kinda makes it a big ass boring grind. How many 120 wrestling scrolls and Level III Necro or wrestling primers do you need before you just say ... forget this?

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Not really seeing myself doing all that just to do a 100 spawns and never once get the primer I want. Kinda like trying to get the Magery 120 or something... 50 spawns later still not getting one just kinda makes it a big ass boring grind. How many 120 wrestling scrolls and Level III Necro or wrestling primers do you need before you just say ... forget this?
I make a lot of gold from the sots, scrolls and primers I collect. I sold a necro III primer for 2 mil or so a few days ago I can't complain when I get one. If you did a 100 spawns you would be halfway to your level III taming primer just from the gold that spawns on the ground after you kill a champ. I like doing champ spawns, ive found nearly 2 of each kind of level 3 primer at this point. I feel like I get more level 3 primers than 120 scrolls

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I make a lot of gold from the sots, scrolls and primers I collect. I sold a necro III primer for 2 mil or so a few days ago I can't complain when I get one. If you did a 100 spawns you would be halfway to your level III taming primer just from the gold that spawns on the ground after you kill a champ. I like doing champ spawns, ive found nearly 2 of each kind of level 3 primer at this point. I feel like I get more level 3 primers than 120 scrolls
Glad someone get something. If I do champs on other shards that's fine but since I can't transfer the primers seems like a waste of effort.

Can't do champs on my own shard so... again... left with having to buy one which I'm just not willing to do.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad someone get something. If I do champs on other shards that's fine but since I can't transfer the primers seems like a waste of effort.

Can't do champs on my own shard so... again... left with having to buy one which I'm just not willing to do.
Don't you have a sampire you can use, or someone who does? With a sampire (or an archer/thrower - ranged chars hit much harder than a sampire) & a tamer, the spawns can be done quickly - I've done 2 man Deceit in under 30 minutes. Barracoon can be done in under 20 with a sampire. The thing with spawns is, if you don't want to be raided, you need to do an them in an out of the way location. Easily accessible locations like Despise, Fel Turtle, and certain t2a spawns (i.e. Marble, Damwin, and City of the Dead) are prime targets for a raid.

In the Champs I've done, I've pulled Magery, Spellweaving, Poison, Parry, Chiv, Bushido, and a couple other level 3's; most of them have been from Fel spawns (mixed between Atlantic & LS), but I have pulled a rare few from Tram spawns (a level 3 Parry from Tokuno's.) I sell most of my level 3 primers, since I have no need for them. If it's a skill I need (which is rare on LS, I've eaten most of the ones I need), I eat it right away.

Taming's is DEFINITELY worth it though. Ever see a greater dragon get surrounded by 2 greaters & regular dragons, only for it to take no damage? I have. You could literally get the ENTIRE first floor of Fel Destard (plus everything from level 4 of the champ spawn) aggro'd on a greater and it just cannot die with consume damage up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a Sampire but apparently I suck at using it as I spend more time dead than alive, and with whatever happened to Hit Chance of late I can miss 6 times in a row, which is deadly for a Sampire. Sampire also isn't any good at all in PvP. As for getting raided I've been with folk and we've been raided no matter where we go... or when. GLs has always had a healthy Fel population despite what some claim.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last time i checked, the cooldown begins the moment you activate the ability.
I can say that for level 1 the 1 hour starts at the end of the 10 minutes. So it is use for ten minutes and then once it ends wait an hour.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have a Sampire but apparently I suck at using it as I spend more time dead than alive, and with whatever happened to Hit Chance of late I can miss 6 times in a row, which is deadly for a Sampire. Sampire also isn't any good at all in PvP. As for getting raided I've been with folk and we've been raided no matter where we go... or when. GLs has always had a healthy Fel population despite what some claim.
That's a fact. I was with DragonClan briefly, years ago, and we were always raided. And, oddly, I found a similar situation on Europa despite it being regarded as among the so-called ghost shards.

This is among the reasons why Atlantic players have the reputation of being soft sorts and RMT gold buyers. I've spent entire weekend afternoons at the same champ spawn with my guild there and seeing only the occasional blue. None of these were scouts either. They just wanted to play Ultima Online as a multiplayer game ;)

Thing is, unlike many of the masteries which have so-so benefits, the level 3 Animal Taming Mastery has nearly game changing benefits. As others have noted, Consume Damage has an astonishing benefit. Plus the mastery buffs are not the massive mana hogs at level 3. And - getting back to topic - Whisper has a manageable cool down at level 3 as well. Some of us still farm and train pets after all.

If your tamer is old enough for Shard Shields, I invite you to hook up with my guild on Atlantic and experience champ spawns as a fun, group activity. Get your book, eat it, and head back home if you'd like.

If you feel like taking on champs again with your pale samurai, I'd suggest the Swordsmanship mastery. Yes, most pale samurais use the Bushido mastery for the extra mana it gives as a passive ability. But if you're by yourself and you DARE NOT MISS with your next blow in a tough spawn situation, the spell Dead Eye is your lifesaving friend. It's only useful then due to its ludicrously high mana cost. You need to be smiting many things to keep it up.

But, and finally, I'm with you regarding the boredom that sets in doing champ spawns, especially by yourself. I relish the two Ms in MMO and I've never been a particularly good combat gamer. The character I enjoy playing the most in UO is patterned more after Falstaff than after any medieval warrior of legend :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's a fact. I was with DragonClan briefly, years ago, and we were always raided. And, oddly, I found a similar situation on Europa despite it being regarded as among the so-called ghost shards.

This is among the reasons why Atlantic players have the reputation of being soft sorts and RMT gold buyers. I've spent entire weekend afternoons at the same champ spawn with my guild there and seeing only the occasional blue. None of these were scouts either. They just wanted to play Ultima Online as a multiplayer game ;)

Thing is, unlike many of the masteries which have so-so benefits, the level 3 Animal Taming Mastery has nearly game changing benefits. As others have noted, Consume Damage has an astonishing benefit. Plus the mastery buffs are not the massive mana hogs at level 3. And - getting back to topic - Whisper has a manageable cool down at level 3 as well. Some of us still farm and train pets after all.

If your tamer is old enough for Shard Shields, I invite you to hook up with my guild on Atlantic and experience champ spawns as a fun, group activity. Get your book, eat it, and head back home if you'd like.

If you feel like taking on champs again with your pale samurai, I'd suggest the Swordsmanship mastery. Yes, most pale samurais use the Bushido mastery for the extra mana it gives as a passive ability. But if you're by yourself and you DARE NOT MISS with your next blow in a tough spawn situation, the spell Dead Eye is your lifesaving friend. It's only useful then due to its ludicrously high mana cost. You need to be smiting many things to keep it up.

But, and finally, I'm with you regarding the boredom that sets in doing champ spawns, especially by yourself. I relish the two Ms in MMO and I've never been a particularly good combat gamer. The character I enjoy playing the most in UO is patterned more after Falstaff than after any medieval warrior of legend :)
Sadly I have about 8 tamers just on GLs. I have a Tamer on Atl. Though I don't really play there. If you run into some stealthy throwers or dogs... I have to apologize... I know some who enjoy killing parties of folk on Atl spending all day long hunting and killing folk. Anyway GLs is my home... and sadly I can't really do anything in Fel on it. Many years ago it was run by BC(Black Company)... no one else could do anything in Fel without "paying" for it. Some did pay for the "privilege" of their "protection" but I refused. I just went somewhere else. Then BC imploded and DC* was born... made up of a great number of scammers, cheaters, and hackers... People who could ignore any blocks and move 4 screens at a time... used every trick in the book and some not in the book to know where folk were so they could come and stop them... sure other guilds tried to compete.... but couldn't. Though some of them broke off and formed their own other guilds... so they could fight one another since no one else would go anywhere near Fel after the years of rampant cheating going on. Just made it no fun at all. DC* held Fel on GLs up until a year or so ago when the 2 "leaders" decided that UO was dead and DC* imploded. Now there are 3 or 4 groups constantly trying to be the "top" and most of them are made up of former DC* members who still use every cheat and hack out there.

While many argue with me that it doesn't happen it doesn't take long in Fel on GLs to see them cheating. It has soured me to Fel so much that I just don't ever want to go there anymore. I used to enjoy some of the PvP and such... but after putting up with it for awhile and trying to get it stopped by constantly paging on the offenders... and whatnot and seeing NOTHING get done about it I finally gave it up. Most people on GLs won't go anywhere near Fel because of it making teaming up with a group impossible.

Maybe in a couple of years I might be able to get a Primer when the price comes down because the demand will be gone.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't give up all hope. I got my tamer's level 3 primer by myself, doing the dragon turtle spawn in Eodon with whoever happened to be there. It's rare to get a good one there, but it DOES happen.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sadly I have about 8 tamers just on GLs. I have a Tamer on Atl. Though I don't really play there. If you run into some stealthy throwers or dogs... I have to apologize... I know some who enjoy killing parties of folk on Atl spending all day long hunting and killing folk. Anyway GLs is my home... and sadly I can't really do anything in Fel on it. Many years ago it was run by BC(Black Company)... no one else could do anything in Fel without "paying" for it. Some did pay for the "privilege" of their "protection" but I refused. I just went somewhere else. Then BC imploded and DC* was born... made up of a great number of scammers, cheaters, and hackers... People who could ignore any blocks and move 4 screens at a time... used every trick in the book and some not in the book to know where folk were so they could come and stop them... sure other guilds tried to compete.... but couldn't. Though some of them broke off and formed their own other guilds... so they could fight one another since no one else would go anywhere near Fel after the years of rampant cheating going on. Just made it no fun at all. DC* held Fel on GLs up until a year or so ago when the 2 "leaders" decided that UO was dead and DC* imploded. Now there are 3 or 4 groups constantly trying to be the "top" and most of them are made up of former DC* members who still use every cheat and hack out there.

While many argue with me that it doesn't happen it doesn't take long in Fel on GLs to see them cheating. It has soured me to Fel so much that I just don't ever want to go there anymore. I used to enjoy some of the PvP and such... but after putting up with it for awhile and trying to get it stopped by constantly paging on the offenders... and whatnot and seeing NOTHING get done about it I finally gave it up. Most people on GLs won't go anywhere near Fel because of it making teaming up with a group impossible.

Maybe in a couple of years I might be able to get a Primer when the price comes down because the demand will be gone.
If you mean those two gals who ran DC, they were a tough pair and ran a tight ship. I was unaware of any hacks but, as you know, I use the Enhanced Client with Pinco's (I see you posting a lot on his site as well). The classic client cannot be similarly defended. This is the game's dirty little secret. And it may be why your pages go unaddressed, alas.

As the founder of the commercial online game business, Kelton Flinn who created Kesmai, said in the '80s, "The front end is in the hands of the enemy." You didn't call it the client back then. And no online game has paid a higher price to learn that lesson than Ultima Online. To this day lots of players who have moved on to the EC still use the CC when playing in Fel. This information is always passed on with a wink and a nod. I never inquire further.

But to say we were all hackers and cheaters is flatly unfair. But, like jerks, sociopaths, and general encounters with unpleasant people, witnessing incidents that cannot be fair play is disproportionately....memorable ;)

As always, though, Petra has the right of it. You don't have to journey to Felucca to get that book.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you mean those two gals who ran DC, they were a tough pair and ran a tight ship. I was unaware of any hacks but, as you know, I use the Enhanced Client with Pinco's (I see you posting a lot on his site as well). The classic client cannot be similarly defended. This is the game's dirty little secret. And it may be why your pages go unaddressed, alas.

As the founder of the commercial online game business, Kelton Flinn who created Kesmai, said in the '80s, "The front end is in the hands of the enemy." You didn't call it the client back then. And no online game has paid a higher price to learn that lesson than Ultima Online. To this day lots of players who have moved on to the EC still use the CC when playing in Fel. This information is always passed on with a wink and a nod. I never inquire further.

But to say we were all hackers and cheaters is flatly unfair. But, like jerks, sociopaths, and general encounters with unpleasant people, witnessing incidents that cannot be fair play is disproportionately....memorable ;)

As always, though, Petra has the right of it. You don't have to journey to Felucca to get that book.
I am aware of being called a cheat while using the EC. But the EC does NOT allow me to bypass things as if they weren't there. Fly past 100's of items set to block and ignore them... the EC does NOT allow me to cast while moving... the EC does not allow me to jump 2 and 4 screens... nor does it allow me to cause everyone in the CC to crash.

As someone who only uses the EC no matter where I am I can say that I know the power of it as well as it's limitations.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am aware of being called a cheat while using the EC. But the EC does NOT allow me to bypass things as if they weren't there. Fly past 100's of items set to block and ignore them... the EC does NOT allow me to cast while moving... the EC does not allow me to jump 2 and 4 screens... nor does it allow me to cause everyone in the CC to crash.

As someone who only uses the EC no matter where I am I can say that I know the power of it as well as it's limitations.
My point was that you cannot cheat with the EC. Perhaps I used too many words...*blush*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My point was that you cannot cheat with the EC. Perhaps I used too many words...*blush*
Well no one has made a cheat program for it yet. I stress YET. Though I agree. I've never really been one for cheating. IMO if you have to cheat to "win" you lose. It's just rather discouraging.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's time to speak plainly.

Everyone has responded to you with commiseration, helpful suggestions and even direct offers of aid. You have invariably responded with more negativity or outright bile. Perhaps the holidays don't agree with you? I can understand that. But I must encourage you to adjust your tone and your attitude to something consistent with the spirit of the responses you've received.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's time to speak plainly.

Everyone has responded to you with commiseration, helpful suggestions and even direct offers of aid. You have invariably responded with more negativity or outright bile. Perhaps the holidays don't agree with you? I can understand that. But I must encourage you to adjust your tone and your attitude to something consistent with the spirit of the responses you've received.
Exactly. I have a sampire (well, I'm working his non-melee skills when I'm in the mood to, since I have no weapons) on Atlantic, as well as one on Lake Superior. I wouldn't publicly ask about Fel Champ Spawns, obviously, but it's fairly easy to do them, if you know where to go. Same with my tamers and Shadowguard. On LS: afaik, most people don't bother with it, so the # of people I can do it with are obviously limited. For Shadowguard on Atlantic, I can just say "doing 'insert room here', need some help" or something similar in gen and people will help out.

I don't know what Malag is like on GL, but perhaps the problem starts at home?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think a large part of my problem with finding folk to do things with me on GL comes from my work schedule which is graveyards weekends. So weekday midnight to 5am... its nearly impossible to find folk to do things with. Most people are in bed except the extreme folk who often like to raid more than hunt. Very few folk are on when I am... during prime time I'm usually busy with either the Tuesday EM event or RP things. I'm always at MOA auction on Thursdays to support friends. Mondays are often filled with RP things and Wed night during prime time I work... So that leaves me with late night all night solo. And I don't play an MMO to solo. If I wanted to play solo then I play Diablo III. Weekends I literally have about 1 or 2 hours max between waking and eating before preparing for work so I generally don't like to get involved in things like the roof since that can take hours.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dead Eye isn't useful at all if you have 45% HCI (which almost all Sampires have). You'll always have at least a 5% miss chance against anything. Onslaught on the other hand, is flat out awesome. It lowers the opponent's Resist by 20% for 6 seconds at Lvl 3 Swords Mastery. Which Resist is lowered, depends on the damage type of your weapon. With Onslaught, Double Strike can do more damage than AI against a lot of foes. It's effect stacks with Disco and Corpse Skin (for Fire and Poison Resist). Onslaught is a lot more useful than the +15 Mana from Bushido Mastery.

Last edited:

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Dead Eye isn't useful at all if you have 45% HCI (which almost all Sampires have). You'll always have at least a 5% miss chance against anything. Onslaught on the other hand, is flat out awesome. It lowers the opponent's Resist by 20% for 6 seconds at Lvl 3 Swords Mastery. Which Resist is lowered, depends on the damage type of your weapon. With Onslaught, Double Strike can do more damage than AI against a lot of foes. It's effect stacks with Disco and Corpse Skin (for Fire and Poison Resist). Onslaught is a lot more useful than the +15 Mana from Bushido Mastery.
Fair point and a good one.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Okay I gave Onslaught a try. Against individual foes, yes, it's impressive. At spawns I'd rather have the mana because mostly I'm simply whirlwinding mobs of things and like the added mana for spamming specials. Against bosses I'm using either double-strike or armor ignore. Were I more fond of soloing things perhaps I'd feel otherwise.

Then again, there's that Japanese player, Corpse, who uses Onslaught very effectively in his video of him soloing Chief Paroxysmus....but he's an exceptional player! His video of him using the Fencing mastery to solo Travesty is...well...brilliant, and not just for the mastery. But I digress ;)