• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which tailoring BODs are "junk" BODs?

D

DarkVoid

I've got a large collection of Tailoring BODs and I was wondering which of the smalls are good for turn ins to get more BODs, but which otherwise give rewards most people would consider junk.

I'm after any LBOD and the associated smalls that gives a reasonable chance to get a spined, horned, or barbed runic sewing kit. If there's any other rewards that are considered good to collect and fill larges/smalls for I'd also be after them.

Cheers ...

DarkVoid

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've got a large collection of Tailoring BODs and I was wondering which of the smalls are good for turn ins to get more BODs, but which otherwise give rewards most people would consider junk.

I'm after any LBOD and the associated smalls that gives a reasonable chance to get a spined, horned, or barbed runic sewing kit. If there's any other rewards that are considered good to collect and fill larges/smalls for I'd also be after them.

Cheers ...

DarkVoid
I went through the page that Frarc suggested (in fact, started typing a half-hour before Frarc did), and rewrote it in a form for the table-impaired (I've ran into a few people over the years that run screaming from tables)

The rewards one might find desirable are:

Clothing Bless deeds (since they work on Crimsons, Snake Skin Boots & the ML robes that give 95 luck, they sell for about 200-350k, depending on shard and the urgency of the buyer).

Spined Kits (since the publish in February - before then, they were junk)
Horned Kits
Barbed Kits

You might add 120 Tailor Powerscrolls to this list, temporarily. They were dirt cheap and common, BUT they are now are a high-point-value turn-in for the coming publish, and I'm filling a bunch of larges I'd kept in case someone needed one, just to turn the PS in to the collection for points.

Note that NONE of the smalls by themselves have rewards worth keeping (unlike smith smalls); they give cloth to fill more cloth smalls, and new BODs that are hopefully better than the crap you turned in. At best, the smalls that give the level 5 reward cloth types are worth bothering with, but even most of those fit larges with keeper rewards much better than the cloth.

Here is a list of keeper types (by their LARGE BOD Reward).

Cloth:
All 4-part normal 20 cloth Larges, and their parts: These give Spined kits.
5-part "Town Cryer" set, 20 count Exceptional: Gives Clothing Bless deed

Optional: Suggest looking keeping a few Exceptional larges of the other types (or normals of the town cryer) on hand in a book, for contract work (not actively trying to fill them), if someone wants to buy bear rugs or tapestries. It's harder to get the larges, than the smalls.

Leather:

Footwear: Throw away the regular leather LBODs for the footwear - while they give the same rewards as the cloth BODs, each 1 you fill prevents you from filling FOUR cloth LBODs.

5-part leathers (Studded, Bone): The only guaranteed valuable reward is for the 20 count Exceptional sets, which give a Clothing bless deed. (one might keep 1 or two 10 or 15 count normal studded larges, in the suggested optional book for tapestries & bear rugs)

6-part leathers (male set, female set): The 20-count normal sets give Clothing Bless Deeds. The 10 & 15 count Exceptionals give Horned Kits. The 20-count exceptionals give 120 Tailor Powerscrolls. Remember that the "Studded Bustier" & "Studded Armor" smalls fit the FEMALE 6-part set, not the 5-part studded set.

Spined Leather:

Footwear: the 20-count normals give Spined kits. The rest are junk, or things you can get easier from cloth BODs.

5-parts: 10 part Exceptional is Clothing Bless Deed; 20 part Exceptional is Horned kit - rest are junk.

6-parts: 10 count Normal is Clothing Bless Deed; 20 part Normal is Horned Kit. 20 Part Exceptional is Barbed Kit. 10 & 15 part Exceptional are 120 Powerscrolls, if you want to do them

Horned Leather:

Footwear: The 20 Exceptional Large gives a Clothing Bless Deed.

5-parts: 20 part Normal Clothing Bless Deed; 10 & 15 part Exceptionals are Horned kits. 20 Part Exceptional is 120 Tailor PS.

6-parts: 10 & 15 count Normals are Horned kit; 20 part Normal is 120 Powerscroll. ALL Exceptionals of this type are Barbed Kits.

Barbed Leather:

Footwear: The 10 Exceptional Large gives a Clothing Bless Deed, and the 20 Exceptional gives a Horned Kit.

5-parts: 10 part Normal; Clothing Bless Deed; 20 part normal gives Horned kit. 20 Part Exceptional is Barbed Kit. 10 & 15 Exceptionals give 120 PS, but not really worth it unless you're filling to turn in at Publish 53.

6-parts: 10 & 15 count Normals are 120 Powerscrolls. 20 Count Normal & ALL Exceptionals of this type are Barbed Kits.

How to get a LOT of GOOD BODs with one Tailor and a little effort

With time, luck and a lot of crafting, you can (over 4-8 hours), turn about 100-200 small crappy BODs into about half as many BODs worth keeping, by filling the junk smalls (except for Bone, which you toss), turning them in one at a time and getting new BODs in return, tossing the junk larges and junk Bone you get back, and sorting out the keepers. Repeat as necessary. Each time through, you'll end up with about half as many junk BODs to fill for more BODs, about 30% BODs you'll set aside as keepers, and 10-20% junk you just throw away.

It would look something like this, starting with 200 BODs (though, truthfully, you'll want to do this at closer to 100-150 BODs, as the BODs, even in books, will take up a lot of pack space). Suggest you have at least a beetle, if not multiple packies.

Turn-in Phase - Starting with 200 filled smalls of various junk types.
1. Turn in each, getting 100 assorted cloth (or a pair of sandals, rarely from 20 count exceptional cloth or leather, and any exceptional colored leather you turn in)
2. Immediately after turning in each BOD, request a new one.
3. Look at the new BOD...
3.a. If the BOD is a keeper, stick in a book for unfilled keepers to sort
3.b. If the BOD is an easily filled junk BOD (cloth BODs, regular leather BODs), put into a book of junk to fill while you're here.
3.c. If a Junk BOD that is a large BOD or a Boned small, just drop it on the floor - someone will pick it up.
3.d. All other junk BODs, put into a 3rd book, of smalls to fill for the next time you plan one of these BOD trips.
4. Return to step 1 until you've gone through all the BODs.

Response Phase
5. Use a dye tub to make all the reward cloth you don't want to keep for personal use all one color.
6. Use this cloth to fill the cloth junk BODs from the book in 3.b. above, starting with the exceptional BODs, and the items one cannot buy from an NPC (full apron, Surcoat, Body Sash, Bonnet; note that regular shirts are only available from 1/3 of tailor NPCs).
6.a. Save normal hats (other than Bonnets) for last, as they can be bought off both Tailors and provisioners
6.b. Buy the items to fill any cloth BODs that remain, as well as buying regular leather items off an armorer to fill any normal leather junk BODs.
6.c. If you have the leather in your bank, fill any leftover normal leather smalls and the exceptional regular leather junk you might have (10/15 count studded, and maybe 20 Ex 6-parter smalls); otherwise add them to the book in #3.d. above.
7. At this point, after about 1 minute per BOD filled, you'll have about 40-50% as many BODs filled to turn back in, as you started with at #1, above. Go back to that step, and repeat this sequence of #1-7, until you run out of junk BODs that are easily fillable.

At this point, you'll have turned 200 junk smalls into about 100 keepers, 20-40 junk BODs scattered on the ground, and the rest are colored junk you can fill in your spare time, before next week's trip.

Even a person with 1 Tailor, if they can get a stack of "seed" BODs to start this process, can maintain it at about 50-150 BODs turned in per week for new ones for several months, before totally depleting their stock of even the colored junk, and having to wait a month or two collecting up piles of junk BODs (or buy another 100-200 BODs) to restart (can take only a few days, if they have multiple characters with 0.1 tailor to get mass BODs with). It will, in effect, give them the BOD-collecting power of someone with 4-6 70+ skill BOD runners, for the effort of concentrating one day a week on BODs.

D

DarkVoid

With regard to the bone being tossed, is it because it's simply not worth having to fiddle around with two resources at the same time or because there is something wrong with bone BODs that mean they are crap for turning in due to some bug?

How to get a LOT of GOOD BODs with one Tailor and a little effort

With time, luck and a lot of crafting, you can (over 4-8 hours), turn about 100-200 small crappy BODs into about half as many BODs worth keeping, by filling the junk smalls (except for Bone, which you toss), turning them in one at a time and getting new BODs in return, tossing the junk larges and junk Bone you get back, and sorting out the keepers. Repeat as necessary. Each time through, you'll end up with about half as many junk BODs to fill for more BODs, about 30% BODs you'll set aside as keepers, and 10-20% junk you just throw away.
Cheers ...

DarkVoid

L

Luna du Selene

Basara, thank you for the time and effort you've put into your response; it will now be on the desktop as my tailoring BOD guide :thumbup:

Kittie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:thumbup1:Thanks Basara for the info I am gonna try this as well.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Bone BODs I suggest to toss are the Junk" ones with crap rewards (the ones that don't fall under the 5-part BOD descriptions in the "what to keep"), as messing with bone collection will slow you down trying to fill smalls to turn in for more BODs.

So, in this method, you'd keep things like the 20 EX regular leather bone armor pieces, but throw away things like Spined 20 normal Bone.

If you like filling BODs with loot, you can keep normal bone BODs of the regular leather type, and fill them while hunting (say, if you're training a new fighter on skeletons). Similarly, many tailors put their normal leather footwear BODs on their tailor, to fill up with all the footwear they fish up.

One might also keep 1 each of the junk normal-quality junk bone smalls of the special leather types, just to fill them with the items that end up normal quality when trying to fill an exceptional BOD (Even with the best possible talisman, one cannot create most of the Bone armor pieces exceptional 100% of the time)

T

T_Amon_from_work

:thumbup1:Thanks Basara for the info I am gonna try this as well.
Add my thanks to the list as well. As a newly-minted GM Tailor going to 120 ... and with over 2K BODs in the collection, I can focus on the good ones and scrap a lot that are not needed.

E

envinyatar

Many thanks, Basara! I've been using the bone bods for arms lore and tailoring gains but whew do they take alot of bone. Do you think you could scrape something like this together for smith bods?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Already did....

Pasted from one of the other posts....

Blacksmith
0-40: Buy off NPC in New Haven, and take Hesphastus' skill gain quest. Do the same for Mining from Jacob, south of the New Haven Moongate. Get mining to 50 first, to get some ingots to start out with. Note that Selling stuff to NPCs and buying ingots with the proceeds no longer is remotely worth attempting, since they made it where the NPCs won't pay jack for ingots (so people no longer sell ingots to NPCs to lower the prices)

The higher you get your mining, the less ingots you lose smelting, then return to Hesphastus' shop. (note that mining gives gains, regardless of ore type when mining up the ore, but is based on difficulty of ore for gains while smelting the ore to ingots)
Note: Be sure to buy Salvage bag from provisioner - returns 1 extra ingot per smith item smelted

40-50: make Maces, in the New Haven smith shop, using the faster skill gain area.

50-up... Consult the charts in the "Till I have a board again" stickied thread for things you can gain on (especially the link to the list of things and their gain limits, a few replies down in it)...

Suggest the following for lowest ingot consumption
Switch to Cutlasses somewhere in the 50s.
Switch to Krysses somewhere in the mid 60s.
Switch to Shurikens somewhere in the mid 70s.
Switch to Circlets around 90
Switch to Royal Circlets at GM, keep making them until 120.

L

Lorelei

Do you have a good chart on what to keep and what to toss for smithy bods?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Smith BODs are a bit more complicated than tailor, due to there being a much broader point system (the points for a Barbed Kit in the tailor system wouldn't give you a hammer worth keeping in the smith system), and the 8 colored metal types. My suggestion is to consult Tower of Roses, for now. I DID have a spreadsheet showing my keepers and rejects, but can't find it right now.

S

Seismic

Basara, you said:

"Footwear: Throw away the regular leather LBODs for the footwear - while they give the same rewards as the cloth BODs, each 1 you fill prevents you from filling FOUR cloth LBODs."

So I should keep the regular, cloth LBODs for footwear??

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depends...

If you want to get some lesser rewards (especially tapestries and bear rugs), you might want to heep some of the cloth larges that give them.

Otherwise, just fill the smalls and turn them back in small for more BODs. This is especially true for the 10 normal & 15 normal cloth or regular leather, as leather footwear or cloth outfit 4-parters, the larges give junk for rewards (stretched hide deeds).

Unless I'm doing a tracking survey (which I do on mass turn-ins for new BODs, right now, collecting evidence on something being wrong with the normal/exceptional ratio), I immediately drop the cloth larges that aren't the ones in my list above to keep - and I toss them after I make my tabulation from the surveys. On the other hand, instead of tossing down, I make a deliberate effort to destroy (garbage cans, or just not accepting) 20 normal large regular footwear BODs, because filling it for ONE Spined Kit would use BODs I could use to complete FOUR cloth BODs, each for a Spined Kit. 4 is greater than one.

C

Calla Lily

Wow. I left the game 3 1/2 years ago and came back last November. I had no idea we can turn in filled BoDs for new ones! So glad I read this thread... Thanks for the info! :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're at least the second recent returnee (recent as in, since the change was put in early last year) in less than 24 hours to find out from me directly or through here. Imaginee how many people out there don't read stratics or publish notes and still don't know...

B

Blackadder

I have just returned to the game and didnt know this until i read this thread.
Many thanks finaly got the last small to fill my 20 exc big today for my first runic:bowdown:
Sounds sad doesnt it, excited at getting a runic about 4 years after they come out :sad4:
Still thanks for the info.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For my Bod Obsession err. collection... I used the tower or roses format and added colors, red toss, green small turn in and blue large turn in.

http://oev.hilands.com/library-tailorbods.html
http://oev.hilands.com/library-smithbods.html

I organize my bods in groups by material (iron, shadow, barbed etc). 1 vendor/container for a group of bods.
For my tailor bods I organize my books this way:
7 cloth books (for 20 piece exceptional 5 piece suit for clothing bless deeds, each item for that set has its own book.
1 cloth book for junk turn in 10 piece small things like bandana and skull caps
1 book for studded leather (5 piece)
1 book for boned leather (5 piece)
1 book for leather (6 piece male)
1 book for leather (6 piece female)
1 large bod book
1 shoes.

Smith I do similar
1 book ring
1 book chain
1 book plate
1 book large bods
1 book small bod turn in (usually powder, sometimes I have two books per color 1 for powder one for the rest).

I do one container for weapons if they have a powder of fort chance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here is my setup

Inside the chests, I put 3 backpacks dyed as close to the metal color as possible (4 in the iron color). These are for the types (ring, chain, plate... and weapons for iron). I keep the single non-combinables in a box by my forge, with the ingots (not shown).

When setting it up, I put 6 markers (for 10, 15 & 20 counts, normal & exceptional - reusing old runes, renamed) in each bag (except for the weapons bag). I checked the charts, and if the large didn't give a good reward, I pulled out the marker for that type/count. If the entire thing emptied, I pulled the backpack as well. I then replaced each remaining marker with a BOD book named for the material, count and quality.

Weapons, I have one book for the 2-part exceptional weapons (all 3 types can give powder, and at two smalls each I only need one book), and one for the 20-count normal fencing.

I pretty much did the same for the tailor BODs, but in dyed boxes in the bottom left corner of the floor.