• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which is Better for Sampire?

jgruberman

Visitor
I've recently returned after a long break(hello!) and I had a sampire player years ago. I've been doing some reading on them online and on these forums and trying to get some questions answered with current skill calculations, etc...

Here is my INTENDED build:
Swords 120
Tactics 120
Bushido (100 or 120)
Parrying (??)
Necromancy 100
Chivalry (60?)
Resisting Spells (??)

Now I Have several questions, hoping they are all easy enough to answer... and this is more for my understanding of the skills rather than a "which is better" type of question.

1. What do I gain from 100 - 120 bushido?
  2. I've seen Parrying numbers all over from 60 to 120... why, and how does the number come into play?
  3. Why should Chivalry be this low, and is there a range in which it's most effective?
  4. Why would I want Resist over Anatomy and vice versa? I only really do PvM and at some point will end up with champ spawns or Doom... from what I understand Resist helps against mana draining spells, which is crucial to avoid?
I'm sure if I read up more and more, some of these answers will fall into place... but hoping to get some help from others who have experience in today's "Sampire market". Thanks!

My Template:
120 Swordmanship
120 Bushido
120 Chivalry
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
100 Necromancy
60 Parrying

I've only been in the game 1.5 months and I'm still getting adjusted. I read the sampire bible among other threads and watched quite a few YouTube videos. Since this is my first sampire, I have nothing to compare it to.
120 Swords + 120 Bushido + 60 Parry = 300 skill points for a 10 point mana reduction for special moves. I have thoroughly enjoyed this build, so far. I have 100 resist that I swap off a SS for anatomy depending on what I plan on fighting.

Special Moves:
Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

jgruberman

Visitor
I'm glad you said the last part about Resisting Spells. Without me having to go read up all about it...why would you use Resisting Spells while what times WOULDN'T you be using it? Been wondering this a lot...

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Obviously, resist comes in handy against casters, but not as handy as you might think, provided you have enough mana and/or are willing to use gold to counteract any truly troublesome curses.

Since you're going swords, I will assume that your standard weapons are a Double Axe for WW/DS and Bladed Staff for AI. These are speed 3.25 and 3, respectively. Generally you'll use the Axe against lower stuff, and the Staff against bosses (until you get l3 swords mastery, then you should almost always use the Axe... but again, that's a more advanced question).

As SSI on the suit/buffs is pretty easy to come by these days, I will assume that you can pretty easily get to the point where, when not under any spell effects, you have enough stam to swing both weapons at 1.25.

One way resist can come in handy is against your standard magery debuffs. I believe the debuff equation is 8 + (eval/10) - (resist/10). The strongest casters in the game that I know of have 200 eval, so that's -28 debuff with 0 resist, or -16 with 120 resist. The thing is, even the -28 is totally over come by a Greater Str/Agility pot with 50% EP. Most things, even boss level things top out at 100-120 Eval... meaning as long as you're willing to carry and quaff pots as needed, you needn't worry about this aspect, with the one exception being if you really need the mana from having that extra int.

Resist can lower/prevent being poisoned by the spell, but since you're a vampire this doesn't matter anyway.

Mana Drain can be a problem, and the amount drained is affected by resist, but even still you're going to get it all back in 4 seconds anyway, and against a boss level caster (120 eval) even with 120 resist, you're still going to lose 40 mana, which is likely enough to prevent your next AI anyway. Here too, I don't truly see resist as worth it.

Paralyze duration is reduced by resist - but is rendered moot by simply carrying a trapped box.

Against Mystic casters, of which there are quite few... resist can prevent you from being purged, but even against a really good mystic caster, I'm not sure 100 resist would make a difference, I think you still get purged more or less every time they cast it. Sleep is broken by damage, so again, trapped box. Spell Plague might be useful to have resist, but that depends on how resist really comes into play here. If what is stated on UO Guide is correct, I don't see resist as worth while here...

Necromancy is, IMO, the best use of resist and can really save your life. It will reduce the damage dealt by pain spike (18 vs 30 direct damage when your resist=their SS), reduces Corpse Skin and mind rot duration. Both of which are kinda, 'meh' to me. The real key, though, is blood oath. When blood oath, you do 25% (could be wrong, but this seems pretty close from what I've seen, maybe 20% or 30%, I try not to actually do any damage while blood oathed...) more damage, but take the same back in return. So if you land an AI that would normally do 150 damage, you're going to kill yourself 100% of the time without resist. Per UO Guide "Resisting Spells now reduces a percentage of Blood Oath damage by the following formula: ((Resisting Spells Skill x 10) / 20) + 10 = percentage of damage resisted." So 100 resist looks like it reduces 60% damage, making this a generally survivable event - but you're still going to be out half or so of your HP - so you're still going to be in tough shape.

The thing is, all of these are countered one way or another... generally speaking, you could cast remove curse with chiv, though with only 60, this might not be terribly effective, or you can eat an enchanted apple. Blood oath is trickiest, but you can simply keep an eye out (or mod the EC... I think this is legal) and disarm, so you can run off and get it cleared up - with either remove curse or an apple.

Given the ease of counteracting nearly every negative scenario, I am simply not sure that resist is really worth it in any PVM scenario.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm in the process of (finally) building my first proper sampire and I love it. Dread Horn and Paroxymus dropped like flies, really the only thing that I've had trouble with so far was a paragon ancient wyrm.
120 Fencing
120 Tactics
120 Bushido (in training)
120 Chiv
GM Parry
GM Anatomy
GM Necro
(using a legendary bracelet with a ton of skills plus clean up talisman)

Higher Bushido does a few things: fewer hits to reach 100% damage modifier from perfection and better chance to parry. Evasion is also affected by bushido, parry and anatomy level.
You'll want resist against necro casters. I was fighting night terrors and it was going wonderfully until I got hit with blood oath and one hit killed myself.
85ish chiv plus 18k karma provides a good damage modifier from EoO and you won't fizzle. I like 120 for full 85% damage modifier and stronger heals/cures when you need them.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Resisting Spells is very handy in a crowd of casters.

(You are unable to cast when they span ManaDrain/Paralize)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience you will want resisting spells when you fight in gauntlet/doom or you do champ spawns with casters.
Usually this means that you are fairly safe to do baracoon, rikkitor spawn without resisting spells.

Having 100 resisting spells seems to work for me.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Here's the thing about even having 100 resist and Blood Oath. It still might not be enough. I just got blood oathed 1 tick before an AI, and my reaction time wasn't fast enough. Lets assume that Blood Oath does 20% more damage. So my max hit against the Blackthorn Necromancer captain I am currently fighting is doing 212 from the sword and another 45ish from the lightning (one with 0 resist but 50k hp). 20% more is 255 + 55 = 310. Even with 100 resist you're still taking 126 damage - maybe you survive that, maybe not if your mana is corrupted then you're dead from that damage. Whatever hits you next is likely to cause a dirtnap. So it still all requires tabbing out, or removing weapon, or being lucky to do a min damage hit instead of max- even with 100 resist.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
  1. What do I gain from 100 - 120 bushido?
  2. I've seen Parrying numbers all over from 60 to 120... why, and how does the number come into play?
  3. Why should Chivalry be this low, and is there a range in which it's most effective?
  4. Why would I want Resist over Anatomy and vice versa? I only really do PvM and at some point will end up with champ spawns or Doom... from what I understand Resist helps against mana draining spells, which is crucial to avoid?
1. Reduces the number of steps for reaching Perfection damage boost, increases the amount healed by Confidence.
2. Some people build with using Counter Attack in mind and have noted that higher Parry and low DCI gives more frequent Counter Attacks.
3. Chivalry affects a number of things, however, you can get away with it as low as 60-70. I'm unconvinced it's worth having at higher levels, a lot of people seem to be relying on it lately for the Divine Fury SSI boost, I don't personally as you can cap SSI without it.
4. Go with Anatomy, even with both on stones you'd rarely bother with Resist.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Lord Taliesin

What's your equipment?
100 di/45 hci/35 dci/150 str/150 hp/148 dex/186 stam/25 int/90 mana/5ssi/53lmc
5ssi town bonus/level 3 bushido mastery
75/75/70/70/75
Spear 50 di/50 hld/50 hsl/68 hll/96 hml (reforged)
The ring is 20 chiv/15 parry/15 anat/8 dex/8 int/15 hci/3 mr
Soldiers Medal/CC/Folded Steel/Conjurers Garb/Detective Boots/Corgul Sash
Several legendary artifacts and two reforged/imbued studded pieces

I chain AI for about 170-180, could go higher with a swords weapon but with above stats I can be cursed and still have a decent stam buffer to swing at max. Currently toying with playing in protection and reforged a Kama with 70 hit area for spawns.

@Tuan My reaction time is terrible in my old age, so I'm probably dead from Blood Oath no matter what!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Get rid of all woodland armour pieces and replace them with studded pieces as possible for LMC bonus and a bit more stamina protection.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the thing about even having 100 resist and Blood Oath. It still might not be enough. I just got blood oathed 1 tick before an AI, and my reaction time wasn't fast enough. Lets assume that Blood Oath does 20% more damage. So my max hit against the Blackthorn Necromancer captain I am currently fighting is doing 212 from the sword and another 45ish from the lightning (one with 0 resist but 50k hp). 20% more is 255 + 55 = 310. Even with 100 resist you're still taking 126 damage - maybe you survive that, maybe not if your mana is corrupted then you're dead from that damage. Whatever hits you next is likely to cause a dirtnap. So it still all requires tabbing out, or removing weapon, or being lucky to do a min damage hit instead of max- even with 100 resist.
Look for the red animation, and when you hear the sound woooush sound..you pop evade, and u take 0 damage, i admit it does take some practice. but thats how i deal with BO in doom.
There really arent any reason to tab out or disarm yourself..assuming u do have parry/bush.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You need to run LMC, period. I notice in the spreadsheet that you're running with 0 LMC.

There are some things in there that simply don't make sense. How do you have a bracelet with 15 SSI? I've never seen one with more than 10. If that isn't a typo, I suspect you could get several billion for that bracelet if you sold it...

What are your stats that you're running +26 dex, +35 stamina, AND 60 SSI. With 60 SSI (actually 55 is sufficient) you can swing the double axe at 1.25 with 120 stamina.

What does the axe look like in total? Looks like 30 SSI and 40 DI... what else?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Look for the red animation, and when you hear the sound woooush sound..you pop evade, and u take 0 damage, i admit it does take some practice. but thats how i deal with BO in doom.
There really arent any reason to tab out or disarm yourself..assuming u do have parry/bush.
I don't have bushido, so no evade. Never heard this trick before...

jgruberman

Visitor
You need to run LMC, period. I notice in the spreadsheet that you're running with 0 LMC.

There are some things in there that simply don't make sense. How do you have a bracelet with 15 SSI? I've never seen one with more than 10. If that isn't a typo, I suspect you could get several billion for that bracelet if you sold it...

What are your stats that you're running +26 dex, +35 stamina, AND 60 SSI. With 60 SSI (actually 55 is sufficient) you can swing the double axe at 1.25 with 120 stamina.

What does the axe look like in total? Looks like 30 SSI and 40 DI... what else?
  • I just double checked and it's 5 SSI, 15 DCI.
  • I have 126 hit points, 70 mana, and 183 stamina, so I don't think I need max SSI... not sure that swing speed calc on uoguide is correct... it says I only need 35 SSI with a double axe.
  • The rest of the double axe is: 50 HSL, 62 HLL, 62 HML, 30 SSI, 40 DI - I need a new one though, as the durability is getting down there... (seeking crafters on Atl!)

jgruberman

Visitor
Get rid of all woodland armour pieces and replace them with studded pieces as possible for LMC bonus and a bit more stamina protection.
I will work on this when I can find an imbuer on ATL and the money to pay them. I have the materials though, so maybe someone will work for free if I provide mats :)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will work on this when I can find an imbuer on ATL and the money to pay them. I have the materials though, so maybe someone will work for free if I provide mats :)
If i were you, i would base the suit around 1 or 2 major/greater/legendary arty with godlike resist, and some usefull mods like +8 stam, 8-10 lmc.
Thise are fairly cheap to get, just use ingame search. And dont buy any antique armor parts they break too fast.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As was mentioned above lmc is a must have. Studded/hide/bone gives an additional 3% over the 40% item cap with some stamina protection, metal armor gives additional 1% lmc with more stamina protection.
The UOGuide ssi calc isn't accurate, use the knucklehead calculator.

jgruberman

Visitor
If i were you, i would base the suit around 1 or 2 major/greater/legendary arty with godlike resist, and some usefull mods like +8 stam, 8-10 lmc.
Thise are fairly cheap to get, just use ingame search. And dont buy any antique armor parts they break too fast.
Do you have an example of arties to base around? I'm open to redoing the entire suit if it's crap(such as upgrading to studded), but just need to know how to go about it.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have an example of arties to base around? I'm open to redoing the entire suit if it's crap(such as upgrading to studded), but just need to know how to go about it.
I made this suit for my samp along time ago. Here are the calcs, easiere to just show u.

Head/Earrings(Garg) Slot: 18 / 04 / 07 / 17 / 06, Total: 52
Chest Slot: 12 / 19 / 13 / 08 / 12, Total: 64
Arms Slot: 13 / 18 / 09 / 10 / 13, Total: 63
Gloves/Kilt(Garg) Slot: 11 / 18 / 10 / 13 / 12, Total: 64
Legs Slot: 13 / 19 / 13 / 09 / 12, Total: 66
Neck Slot: 20 / 18 / 17 / 18 / 17, Total: 90
Ring Slot: -- / -- / -- / -- / --, Total: 0
Bracelet Slot: -- / -- / -- / -- / --, Total: 0
Offhand (Shield) Slot: -- / -- / -- / -- / --, Total: 0
Misc #1 Slot: -- / -- / -- / -- / --, Total: 0
Misc #2 Slot: -- / -- / -- / -- / --, Total: 0
------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Resists: 87 / 96 / 69 / 75 / 72

This suit uses prismatic lenses, but u could use M&S instead.
What you should note here, is that iv'e used a Major artifact gorget and not all imbued item.
You should also note that only 4 imbuing slots has been used for resist (fire)

In theory you can use fx. crimson, 3x imbued items (because u need the +5 hpi, they are too expencive to get on "legendaries")

Anyways if you have more questions, fire away :)