• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which Faction is Getting Voted Out of Britannia?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me start out by clearly stating I am against the proposed reduction from 4 factions down to 3. Now let me get to the reasons.

The first being that UO has 4 clearly defined factions. Removing any one of them could upset the balance on any number of shards. While the Shadowlords may be dead on Atlantic (which they are curently), there could be 6 shards with it being the most powerful faction. What are you going to say to those shards? "Sorry but your faction is being downsized. We can offer you great opportunities in Minax......".

Next is which faction could be removed? The one everyone points to is Shadowlords because they supposedly died in the events. I wasn't exactly around for that so I don't know if there was some final Shadowlord boss but I haven't heard of it. I am doubtful the Shadowlords have been crushed completely. However putting all that aside, world events have never been tied to the factions. There was no lead up to them being born. Even if the Shadowlords are gone, so is Lord British. Why are the True Britannians still around? When Minax dies is the Minax faction going to disband? The factions are not tied to people, they are about ideas. The Shadowlord philosophy isn't going away from a lore perspective.

Not enough convincing yet? You don't care about history or lore? Okay, lets talk balance. Having 4 factions keeps things in check. If there were only 3 factions then you run into a situation where 2 factions are likely to be ganging up on the 3rd frequently. There is no more opportunity for 2 on 2, it is always 2 on 1. When factions was most active in the early years, temporary truces were frequently formed for whatever reasons. Whether it was to take down another faction or to stay on top.

The assumed reason for this proposed changed is 4 factions is too many. I don't know about every shard but I know what happened on Atlantic. We rarely had 4 very active factions, even when it first launched. Most of the time it was 3 groups. The dormant faction would switch on a rather regular basis. A bunch of people would decide they didn't like their current faction so they would move to the empty one and start building it up. Another would end up falling. How is this going to work with only 3 factions? It doesn't if all 3 are active. There is no where to turn for a fresh start.

What does it hurt if one faction remains perpetually inactive? If there is some importance as to why a faction can not be empty in the new design, then I say that is a bad design. Basing anything on having every faction active and balanced is doomed for failure. Factions is (or used to be) as much about diplomacy and social interaction as it is about game play. The developers cannot account for those aspects.

Even today, well last year, having 4 factions is as important as ever. Our guild spent a lot of time deciding which faction to join. We based our decision mostly on who we didn't want to be in the same faction with. In a three faction system there is a much greater chance you will get stuck playing with people you don't want to.

I don't see any good reason why 4 factions can't continue to exist under a new, revamped system. I have put out a variety of reasons why it should remain this way. I also counter that a system based on 3 balanced factions is doomed from the start.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I kinda wish we could create our own faction.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Isn't that what a guild is? Alliances even? Player towns and such being strongholds? I guess that would only work with the right people...

I fail to recognize why these people consistently try to change the wrong things. Four factions will be fine if they fix the real problems.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone does because no one wants to work with other guilds.. Theres a little to much bad chemistry on all shards to have less factions..

I can't wait for this ****.. People are going to be crying about same faction killing all the god damn time.

:danceb: <--- Devs happy they get paid! Who cares about anything else right?

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't that what a guild is? Alliances even? Player towns and such being strongholds? I guess that would only work with the right people...

I fail to recognize why these people consistently try to change the wrong things. Four factions will be fine if they fix the real problems.
Yeah.. I wish I could be in the room when the Devs were talking about this.

'Hey GUYS! I got an idea. Faction participation is low, their are too many bugs and there isn't that much incentive to participate. But I have Idea. Lets change the point system, remove the balancing system, and give the faction participants artifacts that they can take to trammel and never show face again.'

:loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser: <--- Dev team..

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most likely none will be.

And frankly JC, a lot of your post leads me to believe that you don't read your own guide, which really makes me wonder why I put so much time into editing articles about the event cycle and the fiction.

When the owner of the wiki doesn't read it, who else does?

-Galen's player

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And frankly JC, a lot of your post leads me to believe that you don't read your own guide, which really makes me wonder why I put so much time into editing articles about the event cycle and the fiction.

When the owner of the wiki doesn't read it, who else does?
I don't understand what you are talking about. Yes, I don't read every page on UOGuide. I don't see what that has to do with this topic.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand what you are talking about. Yes, I don't read every page on UOGuide. I don't see what that has to do with this topic.
lol

Well, here's the quote:

Next is which faction could be removed? The one everyone points to is Shadowlords because they supposedly died in the events. I wasn't exactly around for that so I don't know if there was some final Shadowlord boss but I haven't heard of it. I am doubtful the Shadowlords have been crushed completely. However putting all that aside, world events have never been tied to the factions.
Recognize that? It's you!!!

In this quote, you make multiple incorrect statements, which you would not have made had you checked your own guide first.

The Shadowlords are in fact dead. And a good deal of what's gone on the last year or two have involved "world events" being "tied to factions."

You own one of the most important UO sites of the current era, and yet you don't check it to research your own posts.

Death of the Shadowlords:

Linkage of Factions and world events:

And of course, let's not forget the general article on the event cycle:

http://www.uoguide.com/Warriors_of_Destiny

-Galen's player

S

Salya Sin

Shadowlords... that is the only one that they can get rid of and still keep with the story line. AND... they should. Perhaps another faction can be created to take it's place but with the end of the last arc... there is no reason for there to be anything left even remotely related to the SL's. And seeing as how most factions has NOTHING to do with the storyline... for I doubt TB is truly holding Lord British in their hearts when they attack MIN... any more so than MIN is looking for the great lost queen of evil while upholding her honor?

OH and Nystul... Where did they say CoM at? And why CoM? Link please because they may just kill all the "OMG... please don't take my faction" threads.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Recognize that? It's you!!!

In this quote, you make multiple incorrect statements, which you would not have made had you checked your own guide first.

The Shadowlords are in fact dead. And a good deal of what's gone on the last year or two have involved "world events" being "tied to factions."

You own one of the most important UO sites of the current era, and yet you don't check it to research your own posts.
I read all the links you posted. None of them say that the Shadowlords had been defeated forever. It says that they were fought at the Fire Temple and defeated.

I know that many recent events have been tied directly into factions. What I was speaking of was how factions was not event driven, it was all player driven.

For a story which involved factions, there was very little faction figthing. I only know of two, one being when Clannin was killed in Trinsic. Even though we defended him the outcome was pre-determined. Also the note that, "Where the evil Factions won, the Shadowlords Faction retained the secret room that was part of the Cloak and Dagger event" is not true. The gate was removed on Atlantic even though evil won the day

I and many others appreciate all your contributions to UOGuide. But that really does not have any bearing on this topic.

Z

Zara

CoM is going.

It's already been said.
Okay sometimes I'm a little slow but I haven't seen this said anywhere. Is there one set place where this information is being placed and can you please provide me with a link or directions to go where this was stated. Maybe I'm just missing parts.

Thanks!

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay sometimes I'm a little slow but I haven't seen this said anywhere. Is there one set place where this information is being placed and can you please provide me with a link or directions to go where this was stated. Maybe I'm just missing parts.

Thanks!
By its already been said, he means his friend told him that.... duh zara.

S

Salya Sin

I read all the links you posted. None of them say that the Shadowlords had been defeated forever. It says that they were fought at the Fire Temple and defeated.

I know that many recent events have been tied directly into factions. What I was speaking of was how factions was not event driven, it was all player driven.

For a story which involved factions, there was very little faction figthing. I only know of two, one being when Clannin was killed in Trinsic. Even though we defended him the outcome was pre-determined. Also the note that, "Where the evil Factions won, the Shadowlords Faction retained the secret room that was part of the Cloak and Dagger event" is not true. The gate was removed on Atlantic even though evil won the day

I and many others appreciate all your contributions to UOGuide. But that really does not have any bearing on this topic.

You are correct in that nothing was said about the shadowlords being defeated forever... and as everyone in UO knows... everything and everyone can and often is resurrected.

BUT... how many times can they get away with resurecting the SL's? I mean... seriously... and they did state that this was the end to the story arc with a new one to start after SA (and more so... the holidays). They can not bring the SL's back... that would be dumb. So I hold to that faction being replaced by a new one.

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is actually five color coded factions. TB, SL, COM, MIN, & TRAM. I say lets be drop tram eh.

S

Salya Sin

But I'm safe in Tram... I can't play in any other faction and believe me... you don't want me to try. It's pathetic!

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yo, I know I am like 2 months late on this, but the only shards that "Evil" (Aka the Crimson Dragons KILLED all the Platinum Dragons) were Oceania & Lake Superior. Check the shards room yourself =) My guild on LS did it, and I was told from an EM we were the first of 2 to do it. [This doesn't include Jap shards, bc IDK anything about those]

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so you all still have your black moongate?

thats cool.

i wonder if anyone else got it.

hell.
im on every shard in factions, ill just go look and report back.

a mission!

oh wait, something shiney......

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no logical reasoning to remove shadowLords or any other faction.

Going from 4 to 3 factions will not make the game more populated, nor will it create 3 active factions. Faction is as its always been, dominated by the horde which change sides every 2nd week. Having three factions still means one will be 'empty', unable to fight for domination.

Being unable to fight for world domination does not render a faction useless. Infact the most fun you can have in the game is playing with your guild in PvP, regardless of the end product is control over the eight towns.

For the new players of UO I guess four or three factions is the same, but for the old timers its about identity. Removing one faction means the removal of the identity of those loyal to the faction, hence removing the reason to pay for their account at all.

put short:
Theres no way Im gonna join another faction if SL is removed.
Regardless of how much I play, I still pay for my account(s), same with many others awaiting the return of factions.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best fights in this game are the 4 way fights when each faction has a sizeable force. If they remove any of the factions I'll be sad.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with all the talk of chaos and order.

and all the talk about the 2 new queens.

makes me wonder if those will play a role in the new factions.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be kinda weird to remove SL...since it's one of the more popular factions.

But what the heck...my number one is minax anyways :)
Even after they've put the fort in the middle of nowhere.
(was better in papua...secretly wishing they would put it back)

N

NickyDishes

Hmmmm lets go from 2, then to 4, then down to three.......ooo yeah what's next 5? Maybe 10.......nah seriously they should leave it alone, and if they are going to drop one...they should have a new one pick up where it left off.....but then i guess youd have everyone trying to join the new one....nm pfft

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THe more factions there are the more fights there are, I'm all for additional factions.

R

ReaperNI

The best fights in this game are the 4 way fights when each faction has a sizeable force. If they remove any of the factions I'll be sad.
LMAO thanks lynk i needed a pick me up when has heat even remotely been a same size fight? I know for a fact you guys hand out special calculators when you sign up for heat ex basic heat math: if the oposing team have 4 poeple how many heat will i need to achieve a proper gank so 4*5= 20 heat members. the fact remains IMO heat is the worst guild in game you either have hackers ( told to me by your own non hacking people) or meat sheilds. you are currently one of the very few guilds to have faction non faction allies which you use in ever which way. 99% of your members run their mouth more then they actully play and always ready to say how great pvpers they are after they kill someone in a famous gank. And posting about how your stealth archer runs spirit speak so you can follow ghosts for res kills give me a great idea of what kinda player you are. Personally i play with honor (look it up) if i kill someone in fel open feild they res up i say nice fight and go about my way. Someone says they laggin hard and comp is acting up i say dont attack me and ill leave you alone. Oh i almost forgot to mention that if you dont mind stop sending your suck pvpers to fel yew only to house hide the whole time its annoying and a waste of my arrows. TYR

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LMAO thanks lynk i needed a pick me up when has heat even remotely been a same size fight? I know for a fact you guys hand out special calculators when you sign up for heat ex basic heat math: if the oposing team have 4 poeple how many heat will i need to achieve a proper gank so 4*5= 20 heat members. the fact remains IMO heat is the worst guild in game you either have hackers ( told to me by your own non hacking people) or meat sheilds. you are currently one of the very few guilds to have faction non faction allies which you use in ever which way. 99% of your members run their mouth more then they actully play and always ready to say how great pvpers they are after they kill someone in a famous gank. And posting about how your stealth archer runs spirit speak so you can follow ghosts for res kills give me a great idea of what kinda player you are. Personally i play with honor (look it up) if i kill someone in fel open feild they res up i say nice fight and go about my way. Someone says they laggin hard and comp is acting up i say dont attack me and ill leave you alone. Oh i almost forgot to mention that if you dont mind stop sending your suck pvpers to fel yew only to house hide the whole time its annoying and a waste of my arrows. TYR
LOL, nice try. Wrong Lynk though chump. I'm not in HOT/HEAT, nor do I even play on Atlantic.

The 'Link' you're thinking of is JC the Builder.

It is pretty clear that you are being dominated regularly though, sounds like you need to step your game up.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most likely none. I think it was brought up because in the same statement they said they also wanted to move factions out of towns or something like that. No problem for Min and SL, and someone mentioned that they could just make another entrance into the TB base so that its not in town. That just left COM and I don't think anyone has came up with a way of moving or gaining access to it without going through town.

R

ReaperNI

Thought you were my bad. saw that mwocmbei or what ever guy in your signture and i know ive seen that name around town. but yes i always die to pot throwers and 30 on 1 forces

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid I must have missed where a dev suggested that one of the factions might be removed. Can someone point me to this thread please? :confused:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I would not worry about it too much. I did see the statement. a FoF maybe?

It was before the big turnover.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm, well, hopefully they have bigger and better things to do with their time. I don't like it when they start messing with things that are fine as they are. Factions could use some attention, yes, but removing 1 faction isn't on our radar. I hope its fallen off of theirs! The next thing we know they'll say we can no longer fight other factions! LOL

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would not worry about it too much. I did see the statement. a FoF maybe?

It was before the big turnover.
Wouldn't be the first time they said they were planning on doing something and then nothing. Anyone remember them posting that the faction with the most participation in the city invasions would get rewarded. This was when Min or SL captured a town it would start an invasion and if TB or COM captured the town it would end the invasion. Or the Cloak and Dagger story arc where they stated it was for SL only and the rest of the factions would get their event soon. The only event I could only remotely think of that was for the other factions was the very end when the Crimson dragons battled the Platinum dragons and the outcome determined if SL on that shard got to keep their special gate. I don't think we were told about the gate part until the event was over. So until I see any of these changes on production servers, I would take it as just another waste of space on the internet.

October 23, 2009 FOF.

http://uoherald.com/fof/?fofId=178

Is the faction system going to be repaired,remolded or replaced? Will the Order/Chaos....Good V evil be returning?
Our design team is currently taking a good, hard look at Factions and we are currently making plans for a series of updates culminating in a significantly revamped system. Right now in this early phase, we have a lot of ideas on the table. Amongst those are:

1. A complete overhaul of the scoring and ranking system, with an eye towards rewarding healing, stealth, crafting, and other types of participation in addition to racking up kill counts
2. Possibly reducing the number of factions to 3
3. Rebuilding the bases to make them more balanced, including removing bases from areas within guard zones
4. Revamping town capture with an eye towards focusing the fighting, creating more intense battles
5. Adding more ways to use Silver, as well as working to fix various economic issues surrounding Factions
6. Adding more benefits to controlling towns, with an eye towards allowing Factions to have greater influence on the game world

In addition to the above, we have a list of miscellaneous bugs we want to fix.

Please note that we are very early in the design stages on this, and as we delve more deeply into this project our final feature change list will evolve. The above list is the pie in the sky and now we’re seeing how much of it we can (and should) bring down to Earth. We are interested in seeing some more of your Factions-related ideas and requests on the forums.
-Phoenix

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would not be too worried or excited about Faction changes. Since there has been yet another change in UO management, that means PVP gets pushed off yet again.

It is funny how they always say they will focus on PVP after so-so expansion. Then EA shakes up management and the new people in charge decide that PVP will be taken care of after the next expansion. It has been the story of UO's history for 8 years.

S

snowbunny024

Is the faction system going to be repaired,remolded or replaced? Will the Order/Chaos....Good V evil be returning?
Our design team is currently taking a good, hard look at Factions and we are currently making plans for a series of updates culminating in a significantly revamped system. Right now in this early phase, we have a lot of ideas on the table. Amongst those are:

1. A complete overhaul of the scoring and ranking system, with an eye towards rewarding healing, stealth, crafting, and other types of participation in addition to racking up kill counts
2. Possibly reducing the number of factions to 3
3. Rebuilding the bases to make them more balanced, including removing bases from areas within guard zones
4. Revamping town capture with an eye towards focusing the fighting, creating more intense battles
5. Adding more ways to use Silver, as well as working to fix various economic issues surrounding Factions
6. Adding more benefits to controlling towns, with an eye towards allowing Factions to have greater influence on the game world

Isnt it ture tho? Wizdom that is.... Learn from your mistakes and do it right the next time? Or is that insanity?:party:
It's been many yr's since pvp had been looked at and as for me, If ya keep adding more and more new lands it will and does draw even some of the pvper's away from some old hotspot's. SA rock's cuz ya need to be able to farm for imbueing and etc...
O I almost forgot. UO did try and "bring back players to fel" with, Ya get more resoure's, ok I think that one failed :thumbup1:
But your getting closer if ya just really make it worth it for the players that are still playing UO. I mean given the champ spawns a relook at what PS's really drop when ya have chained 8 Rat's with a Knight of justice, and not get any of the so called "good" PS. But getting 3 or 4 20 stealing is just fine? I hope not! I mean ya the "big" scolls fell atleast 1 per champ then ya had a real goal at getting it, not just a very lean small chance.

And since Im running off at the gum's, let me say this. Factions should have a greater effect on the "in game" then where it's at now? Have a set timer in stages when a faction holds town's for period's of time with increased effect's for that faction and then also the remaining factions a set back of some kind.
Setting more traps then just 16 is needed. Ya try and defend brit with such a wide open area and knowing your traps are out there and yet Not 1 toon can kill themself on it. And its not because they were set out in the wrong spot's. But then again, setting up the same traps in Mnx was always real easy, as well to find. So.....
We want to be heard and soon to be helped !!!

R

ReaperNI

all ill say is they have to romove tb base and com base from guard calling zones tired of fighting off zergs of npc guards only to have 1 or 2 player actully running in calling guards while other steals

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all ill say is they have to romove tb base and com base from guard calling zones tired of fighting off zergs of npc guards only to have 1 or 2 player actully running in calling guards while other steals
Do you even play UO?

S

snowbunny024

Moving the 2 base's, o yeah without question! "sounds like a up and coming new event for new design?"
How bout another race change while were at at? Since my early daze playing D&D, I've enjoyed playing a Dwarf "hint hint":party:

R

ReaperNI

Hey Lynk what does a town sheriff do? yea thats what i thought think about it a lil im sure you can get those wheels turning.Its alright i let that one slide. LMAO TYR

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There have been no guards in the towns now for months......the only way you can get guarded whacked is if your a red, cast a field and hit a guard in the base.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
bit more then a couple months, its been over a year.

it was since the general invasion which started last november no?

R

ReaperNI

Alright come on lets hold hands. ill walk you guys through this. when a faction controls a town they can appoint a town sheriff. (still with me?) the town sheriff can then type out i am sheriff (or something of that nature) and can hire up to 40 guards at a time. these guards are faction guards and can stat you i figured you all knew this and didnt think you guys actully thought i was talking about a the true guards that are around moongates and such.do a lil reading up on factions ! TYR

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ReaperNI said:
The term 'calling guards' is generally accepted as saying "guards" to get someone guard whacked.

In fact, I think you would be hard pressed to find ANYONE who would think that 'calling guards' meant 'being a town sheriff and paying for faction guards'.

This is considered common knowledge to the bulk of the UO community.

Judging from your inability to express a coherent thought, I'm going to go out on a limb and think that 'knowledge' isn't your strong suit (common or not). For this reason I forgive you for being a jackass. As they say, 'you can't fix stupid'.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright come on lets hold hands. ill walk you guys through this. when a faction controls a town they can appoint a town sheriff. (still with me?) the town sheriff can then type out i am sheriff (or something of that nature) and can hire up to 40 guards at a time. these guards are faction guards and can stat you i figured you all knew this and didnt think you guys actully thought i was talking about a the true guards that are around moongates and such.do a lil reading up on factions ! TYR
Nice try to save ur ass on this one but you looked like a fool. That is not what you meant and tell anyone who believed you that I have a bridge in London I would like to sell them.