• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wheres the desktop folder?

• Thread starter Kratos Aurion
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

Kratos Aurion

Well I know where it should be.. but it doesn't exist.

I installed the 8th age edition and have all my character macros copied and just want to transfer them over. Does anyone know if making the folder myself will work?

*this also happened when I used the client dl'd from EA.com*

B

BartofCats

its in the my documents folder on your computer now. something about norton antivirus messing up macros.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

What OS are you running?

I know that in XP and Vista, it is now in your Users/whatever your log in is folder/ Documents/ EA Games/Ultima Online or Ultima Online Legacy/User Data. I have no idea where it is in older OSes.

K

Kratos Aurion

Oh I see. I totally missed that change.

And I'm running W7 *woo* pwns the sh$# out of vista but still needs a few bug fixes.

Edit* Oh thanks both of you for the replies :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Oh I see. I totally missed that change.

And I'm running W7 *woo* pwns the sh$# out of vista but still needs a few bug fixes.

Edit* Oh thanks both of you for the replies :)
I have it duel booting on my main desktop, but I found it a little too buggy to rely on as a primary OS.

But I am really looking forward to the final release.

What do you have against Vista (other than the fact that you have to pay for it?)

K

Kratos Aurion

1) not network friendly
2) kernal hacks are easy
3) scripting hacks are easy
4) too many background processes = boggled performance
5) the knock off objectdoc actually runs worse performance wise than the apple/objectdoc versions
6) way to many notifications
7) too many unnecessary changes that make doing specific tasks harder vs making them easier.

From an administrators standpoint, notifications & making specific things harder to get too is far too aggrovating to invest in Vista.

Vista is actually the byproduct of W7. Due to SP3 for XP, microsofts delay on W7 was so far behind that they cut huge amounts from longhorn and renamed it vista and released it. They should have just delayed the release which would have made many people such as myself happier.

Edit*

Vista has due credit as being a gorgeous looking OS but looks can be decieving.

I have it duel booting on my main desktop, but I found it a little too buggy to rely on as a primary OS.
I'm bored of XP honestly. I've been using the W7 beta for quite awhile as my main OS. Haven't had nearly as many issues with it as the released version of Vista as with the W7 beta. Although it does have a few minor bugs, the major bugs aren't particular easy to manipulate. Plus Windows announced the ability to turn off IE8 in W7 so if you're not an IE8 type of user you can later install IE7 or lower to support user wants/needs.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

1) not network friendly
2) kernal hacks are easy
3) scripting hacks are easy
4) too many background processes = boggled performance
5) the knock off objectdoc actually runs worse performance wise than the apple/objectdoc versions
6) way to many notifications
7) too many unnecessary changes that make doing specific tasks harder vs making them easier.

From an administrators standpoint, notifications & making specific things harder to get too is far too aggrovating to invest in Vista.

Vista is actually the byproduct of W7. Due to SP3 for XP, microsofts delay on W7 was so far behind that they cut huge amounts from longhorn and renamed it vista and released it. They should have just delayed the release which would have made many people such as myself happier.

Edit*

Vista has due credit as being a gorgeous looking OS but looks can be decieving.

I'm bored of XP honestly. I've been using the W7 beta for quite awhile as my main OS. Haven't had nearly as many issues with it as the released version of Vista as with the W7 beta. Although it does have a few minor bugs, the major bugs aren't particular easy to manipulate. Plus Windows announced the ability to turn off IE8 in W7 so if you're not an IE8 type of user you can later install IE7 or lower to support user wants/needs.
I am a network admin myself, and we do not deploy it on our network...but that is because my company is Uber-cheap.

As to background processes, many of them can be disabled to no negative net effect, but it does reduce CPU cycles.

I just have not found Vista to be the 'boogey man' that many users claim it to be. It's more or less XP with a fancy coat of paint...and some annoying pop-up messages. But you can turn those off too.

I do not like the fact that it hangs the UO launcher, and gives the Ulitma Online is loading problem, but you can work around that by shutting off the fancy interface...thereby sending yourself back to XP essentially, or you can just perform an action that forces a desktop refresh, like changing rez.

All and all though, I give Vista a B- out of the box, but a solid A after some minor tweaking.

You are right, XP had gotten rather old...and I am looking forward to W7, although it is going to cost me a bundle to upgrade the machines I have that I want to bump up. On the upside though, the other ones get the bump to Vista, so not the worst thing in the world.

K

Kratos Aurion

Well I'm actually an intern assistant administrator. The problems I my self encountered like I mentioned above are too many backdoors. This as you know isn't an issue for us (the know hows) but for average users it is an extreme inconvenience and problem.

Vista was developed to support the "users" community and not the administrators and developers etc. What they ultimately failed to do was add convenience to the OS (they actually made everything a task).

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Vista was developed to support the "users" community and not the administrators and developers etc. What they ultimately failed to do was add convenience to the OS (they actually made everything a task).

I will say this...

...I do not like how things are hidden behind layers of what I call GUI-Fluff. But then again, I like command line interfaces. So I am the wrong person to ask! :D

K

Kratos Aurion

I will say this...

...I do not like how things are hidden behind layers of what I call GUI-Fluff. But then again, I like command line interfaces. So I am the wrong person to ask! :D
I wouldn't expect anything less than a fellow IT pro :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone else notice how you all are describing the Vista/W7 evolution (and rushed release) is scarily similar to how KR got released and SA ended up being the finished product?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Anyone else notice how you all are describing the Vista/W7 evolution (and rushed release) is scarily similar to how KR got released and SA ended up being the finished product?
I can see it, but then again, I prefer command line interfaces (per UO:R)...

...so I am the wrong person to ask...

:sad4:

K

Kratos Aurion

Well..

EAs lack of experience in the MMORPG field contributes to a lot of the problems we face in UO whether it's financial, support, customer service etc.

Microsoft is the lead corporation in OS technology used on the planet. They shouldn't make mistakes like this.

The reason why the comparisons of Vista and W7 can be made is because they are infact, or at one time, were the same product.

Project Longhorn was so far behind schedule that they had to dramatically cut resources and project development which gave us Vista. There are several articles online that describe the amount of content cut from Vista to push out a "finished" [half ass] product.

Now several (2?) years later Microsoft is attempting to redeem its self by releasing the full product and its original development + user feedback features and changes. Basically W7 is the Vista we SHOULD have got but didn't due to Microsoft's extremely poor judgement.

But this isn't Microsofts first mistake. Lets not forget the 98/ME fiasco. The OS didn't even last 2 years before XP was developed and adopted extremely fast in the field.