• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where to find the GPs

C

Caelas

I just started playing UO again about a month ago, and before then I didn't play much, so I don't have vast reserves of gold. For someone who only plays maybe two to three hours a night, what's a decent way of raking in the cash for a newer player?

G

GFY

I know a lot of ways to make UO gold. Why don't you post your favorite and most developed character template and I'll tell you a few of my favorite places to hunt for gold.

I've never been much of a crafter item seller, so most of the gold I make in UO is from gold farming

T

T_Amon_from_work

if resource hunting, see if a tailor on your shard would be wanting bulk leather - normal, spined or whatever. I restarted 4 years ago and sold spined by the 1, 5 and 10K commodity deed and paid for my first house in just months.

but let us know what kind of charracter you have available and we can help you ouyt.

C

Caelas

I have an Archer (70s skills) and making a Sampire (60s skills) No really high end characters. I do also have a lumberjack, no fighting skills to speak of. Was thinking of maybe adding mining to him and just resource farm, as boring as that sounds.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Archer could they could farm normal leather from cows, hinds and the like. Also probably spined from lizardmen (Despise 1 - upstairs) and dire wolves (and such).

Get a Butchers War Cleaver and use it like you would a dagger to carve corpses. Hides are carved and cut automatically into your backpack - up to about 340-390 stone weight. All you'd need to do then is open the corpse for any gold.

U

uoBuoY

Collect the current quest's tickets. Players will buy them for about 40gp per point.

G

GFY

Having a miner or lumberjack is fine but you'll probably need some weapon skill to defend yourself from the occasional wondering monster.

You can train up archery skills fairly easily because archers tend not to get up close and personal with their targets. Attack a monster then just stay ahead of it leading it around while stopping to fire at it. (also called kiting)

My favorite place to train an archer (from about 80 or so to 120) is Ice Dungeon. You can fight Arctic Ogre Lords without too much trouble. For arrows you can put fletching on your lumberjack and make your own by killing chickens and chopping wood. When you get a bit more trained up (at least gm in most skills) you can kill harpies for more feathers and gold.

Here's a good Idea for an archer template;

Archery 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Bushido 100
Chivalry 100
Healing 100
Resist 100

This is a good basic template and this doesn't include power scrolls. You should be able to hunt just about anywhere with a good chance of success. You will want to go to peerless, doom, or large bosses in a group, just to be safe.

Good Luck & Good Hunting :thumbsup:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My favorite place to bring a new character with some basic skills is Shame Level 1 for the Earth Elementals (EE). There are no enemies with magic (just EEs and scorpions). You'll probably want your weapon skill in the mid-80s first, however. Also, you need to have a means to cure poison in case the scorpions get you. I've never brought an archer there, but I'm sure it would work well. When you loot the corpse, be sure to collect the gems. You can sell them at any Jeweler. There is one right at the Luna bank. And, you may get lucky and get a virtue armor piece. You probably can sell that at the bank and bring in 100k easy.

-OBSIDIAN-

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never brought an archer there, but I'm sure it would work well. When you loot the corpse, be sure to collect the gems. You can sell them at any Jeweler. -OBSIDIAN-
Earth Elementals are awesome for working your archery from 80 to 100. Just dont let them surround you or get too close, else you are in for some hurting. I agree whole heartedly to take the gems. It will raise the average gold per elemental by over 100gp. A guildmate and I did a very thorough (1000s of Eles) study of the loot with and with out gems for Earth Eles (if my old computer was hooked up, I could get the info from it (if it's still there), but that is a rough estimate of the increase).

Stayin Alive,

BG

E

Eslake

Some good ideas already. :)

But if you need a quick cashflow to get some arrows and bow repair tickets.. Get in to see Melissa. Virtually no one takes the gold and you could easily cart out 10k every time she spawns (between her and the balrons)

Don't rely on it as a steady income of course ;) since they're pulling her plug Friday.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I always recommend to people is fletching. You don't need a lot of skill to do it, just enough lumberjacking to get the wood for the bolts and 20 or so points in bowcrafting. Human jack of all trades will do nicely for that.

Fighting harpies for feathers is great (there's a nice spawn in Ilshenar north of spirituality if you're at least a master warrior).

Then make bolts and sell them in bulk.

Or hunt ratman archers (Ilshenar sacrifice or if you're brave, Sanctuary dungeon) for the arrows to sell.

C

Caelas

Is there any money in daily rares? Fo example, I logged in early this morning and picked up a Tasty Meat Pie and a Closed-Top Barrel. Should I look at pursuing these as money-makers, or just interesting deco items?

C

Caelas

My favorite place to bring a new character with some basic skills is Shame Level 1 for the Earth Elementals (EE). There are no enemies with magic (just EEs and scorpions). You'll probably want your weapon skill in the mid-80s first, however. Also, you need to have a means to cure poison in case the scorpions get you. I've never brought an archer there, but I'm sure it would work well. When you loot the corpse, be sure to collect the gems. You can sell them at any Jeweler. There is one right at the Luna bank. And, you may get lucky and get a virtue armor piece. You probably can sell that at the bank and bring in 100k easy.

-OBSIDIAN-
Vitrue armor piece? From the elementals? I take its a rare drop?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vitrue armor piece? From the elementals? I take its a rare drop?
There's a point system in place for the 10th anniversary. As you fight in anti-virtue dungeons (shame, despise, destard etc.) you gain points. When you gain enough points you get a random 10th anniversary item drop in your pack. I've gotten 2 pair of legs, and a pair of arms, and I don't even hunt that much.

C

Caelas

Does it matter what level of the dungeon? Been farming Shame level 1 for about 2 hours, nothing yet for virtue pieces

C

Caelas

hehe nevermind...2 kills after that last message, the gorget dropped

E

Eslake

It isn't .. exactly .. a points system tho.

You could get an item for the first lizardman you kill.. or you could kill ogre lords every day for a month.

The points of the system are like luck specific to the drops. So every creature you kill increases your chances that the next one will cause you to get an artifact.
(until you do of course, at which point you get reset to 0)

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you like to do? Killing stuff comes to mind. When I was newly returned a few years ago I made 100's of thousands killing ettins in Despise. If you're tougher than that then do Trogs in the Painted Caves, or Titans and Cyclopses in the temple near Ilshenar Honesty. If you like resource gathering and crafting then collect leather and sell it.