• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] where is best place to mine at 85 skill?

E

Etoh

mining seems so time consuming and fruitless so far... i've been mining randomly around the mountains north of Luna and such but haven't gained any skill and keep mining 99% iron ore only... some copper and shadow, but nothing that would help to increase my current 85 mining skill...

are there other locations specifically that i would be better off mining at, or is everywhere equal in chances of getting higher difficulty ores?

i haven't mined in any dungeons yet... should i? (and only in Trammel)

thanks,
Etoh

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lot of good info here
Professions: the Miner

if i remember correctly (been a long time) smelt your ore 1 piece at a time for best gains especially the higher colored or you can do

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
85 skill can still gain smelting DC, Shadow and copper
DC to 90
Shadow to 95
Copper to 100

it's just that gains are very slow, hence the need to smelt them one ore at a time to get gains.

You can also get gains from digging all the way to 100, even if it's iron being dug. The digging part of mining isn't metal-type based, only the smelting of the ore is metal-type-based (and you occasionally can get mining gains from recycling smith items of metals you aren't 100% to smelt).

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd suggest mining in the twisted weald after being disco'd by a satyr.

E

Etoh

I'd suggest mining in the twisted weald after being disco'd by a satyr.
do you mean when i have musical notes coming out? i noticed when i am there i always can't cast spells because i am "calmed" by someone.. i don't even know who is casting those musical notes on me! is this what you mean by disco'd?

i don't think the satyrs do anything to me... only the changelings pester me (and i assumed the changelings were the ones also making me calm so i can't cast on them when they attack me)

E

Etoh

85 skill can still gain smelting DC, Shadow and copper
DC to 90
Shadow to 95
Copper to 100

it's just that gains are very slow, hence the need to smelt them one ore at a time to get gains.

You can also get gains from digging all the way to 100, even if it's iron being dug. The digging part of mining isn't metal-type based, only the smelting of the ore is metal-type-based (and you occasionally can get mining gains from recycling smith items of metals you aren't 100% to smelt).
oh okay, i guess i thought i would only gain from digging colored ore... i've never tried recycling yet.. but now i will.. mining is so tedious and slow... only a few clicks each spot then move a bit, and repeat... >_<

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do you mean when i have musical notes coming out? i noticed when i am there i always can't cast spells because i am "calmed" by someone.. i don't even know who is casting those musical notes on me! is this what you mean by disco'd?

i don't think the satyrs do anything to me... only the changelings pester me (and i assumed the changelings were the ones also making me calm so i can't cast on them when they attack me)
See here: Satyr Trick - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need so many ingots to train/work on anything (tinkering, blacksmithing, bods, heartwood smithing recipes) that i personally never cared too much about fast mining training. I can always use my ingots faster up than i can mine them.

E

Etoh

You need so many ingots to train/work on anything (tinkering, blacksmithing, bods, heartwood smithing recipes) that i personally never cared too much about fast mining training. I can always use my ingots faster up than i can mine them.
that's true, me too.. always seem to never have enough ingots.

would be nice if they setup npc ingot shops that actually have infinite amounts of ingots (in all colors) for sale...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When you need shadow ore, the (Tokuno)Yomotsu Mine's shadow elementals and (Tram & Fel) Orc Mine's Orc Brutes provide 25 shadow ore a pop - and the Orc Mine even has a functional forge in the middle of the Brute room.

If you are combat-capable, or can get a buddy to go along, the Brutes are really nice. In a 2-person set-up, they party, the combat guy soloes the Brutes, while the miner loots the ore, and smelts while they wait for the next brute to spawn.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would you say the brutes are easier or harder than valorite ore elementals?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
considering they don't reflect your hits back on you, the brutes are easy with an orc slayer (won't even have to use enemy of one). They don't seem to have the powers that the event Brutes had (in the events Brutes were used in, they'd throw OTHER ORCS at you for damage if you used magery or archery, giving you more to fight).