• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When SA comes out...

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and we get imbueing,what will you be itching to make? What uber set of armor or uber weapon will you aim for? I know I'll be aiming to make a repeater bow with hld/hla/hit lightning. So what about you?

WizzaX

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to imbue rings and braces?

I will prolly make a crazy leech ornate axe. =D

I have a few weps that have 100 mana leech others have 100 stam and life.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes and I can't wait to see what can be added to the jewlery!

yeah that would be sweet. Bad-ass leecher with as much ssi and hit lightning as possible.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be lookin' to make the most insane bows ever seen. Archery is still and will always be my fav skill in the game for pvp or pvm.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be lookin' to make the most insane bows ever seen. Archery is still and will always be my fav skill in the game for pvp or pvm.
I couldn't agree more. Repeater with insane ssi and hld/hla with maybe hit spell or some mana leech to pop off special after special.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are they coming out with a new and very improved version of 3-d coming out? I would hope they could now that they camr out with warhammer and all.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*thinks*

I'll probably focus on creating ceremonial matching sets (it would be really nice to have "equipable dummies" to be able to display suits on).

Ihave to admit a super-leeching ornate axe sounds sweet but I suspect the high-end components will be out of my reach (or at least rare enough to make it very hard to justify using them myself), so I'm not going to get my hopes up of having a maxed-out item. A lot will also depend on how much turbulence the fabled balance pass creates.

I'm also curious about what stone armor will be like - the hints back in the first round of development were that it was going to be rather game-changing.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing. I hate UO becoming more and more a purely item-based game. I probably will boycott imbueing.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing. I hate UO becoming more and more a purely item-based game. I probably will boycott imbueing.

Get over it. How many more years till the pre-AOS die hards get over it? besides imbuing makes it easier to get what you need...like the old days.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the way you phrased it "becoming more and more" of an item-based game.

I've always hated how some people seem to think that UO was never item-based before AoS; I've always argued that UO was always item-based, it just became moreso after AoS.

However....I must point something out.

Does Imbuing really make UO more item-based? I'd argue no; it's just another means to get items.

For that matter, has any change since AoS made UO more item-based? I'd argue not...If anything the institution of caps made it less so.

But either way....do you really think Imbuing will make UO more item-based? I simply see it as a different means to get items. And now that I think about it....It's really just a modification to an existing way to get items (crafting).

-Galen's player

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anything, I'd say imbuing will make UO less of an item-based game (not enough less, but less).
It should be easier to get higher-end items, which means people will likely be closer together in terms of item intensities.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the way you phrased it "becoming more and more" of an item-based game.

I've always hated how some people seem to think that UO was never item-based before AoS; I've always argued that UO was always item-based, it just became moreso after AoS.

However....I must point something out.

Does Imbuing really make UO more item-based? I'd argue no; it's just another means to get items.

For that matter, has any change since AoS made UO more item-based? I'd argue not...If anything the institution of caps made it less so.

But either way....do you really think Imbuing will make UO more item-based? I simply see it as a different means to get items. And now that I think about it....It's really just a modification to an existing way to get items (crafting).

-Galen's player
Almost every publish and extension that has come out in the past years concerned items, items, items. Even the (quite well done) quests need valuable rewards, because the player-base has changed from a RP community into item addicts. You may claim UO has always been an item-based game. Yes, it has. But during the first years, items didn't play an important role. They were secondary. If you lost them, you just went to your friend, the crafter, who made you new equipment. Today, items are the primary thing. Without getting the new items, you never will be able to compete in PvP or fight the new uber monsters. Without items, you are excluded from 90% of the game content. UO has turned into a game that FORCES people into hunting for new items. Imbuing is yet another enhancement that concerns items. I'd rather see enhancements that concern adventure, better content, dynamic content, riddles, history, bug-fixing, game depth, and communities. All those things that have been neglected since AOS.

That's my point.

Edit
Example: During the Invasion back in 2001 there were NO rewards for the players. The community just gathered, worked on strategies, and fought back the undead intruders together. Today, people are complaining about the drops of Conjurer's Trinkets from Skeletal Liches being too rare. They complain about Rewards from spring cleaning being not powerful enough. They want more and more powerful items. They even whine for raising the skill caps. What for? What challenge is this game with all this uber stuff? Other games have failed long-term because they were a leveling treadmill or forcing you into item-hunting. I don't want UO to make the same mistakes and fail.

M

Marcus Blackwell

You should change the first word in the title to "If"

Agree with you there with the news of more job cuts and also project cuts makes me wonder if SA will get canned this time or delayed again.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree with you there with the news of more job cuts and also project cuts makes me wonder if SA will get canned this time or delayed again.
Stop that - just stop. *makes futile attempt to stem the seasonal outbreak of paranoia sweeping UHall*

M

Marcus Blackwell

Stop that - just stop. *makes futile attempt to stem the seasonal outbreak of paranoia sweeping UHall*

Hehe..Im just saying with EAs track record with SA wouldnt be surprised if SA was one of the projects put on the back burner.. Im hoping it wont though. Im excited about the new skills it offers especially imbuing so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we see SA this year or in the near future.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When SA comes out...

...and we get imbueing,what will you be itching to make?

Melee:
Armor: Mediocre gap filler pieces that can be easily made.
Weapons: None

Archer:
Armor: Pieces to compliment my arties with lots of +mana, MR, HCI, SR, LMC and gap filler +resists.
Weapons: None

Mage or Tamer: The sky is the limit. But I don't use these templates much so we'll see.

A

Anon McDougle

"Other games have failed long-term because they were a leveling treadmill or forcing you into item-hunting. I don't want UO to make the same mistakes and fail"

dont use the items not use them at all fight only with GM made gear if you want to you can choose too !!! i have a char that dont use magic none never because i choose too i can play him for weeks having a blast never board !!

B

BadManiac

Armor, finally! Three sets.
Mage: all 70, 100LRC, max MR, max SDI, max FC/FCR, medable
Warrior: all 70, max DI, max HPR, max HCI, max DCI
Tamer: all 70, 1200+ luck, max DCI, max FC/FCR, medable

Been trying for years and with 100+ million gold to buy these suits, without success. So hopefully with imbuing I'll finally be able to finish my chars.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My current plan calls for me to not use any imbued items, or replicas. I specifically like the idea of a suit that lasts forever.

It's gonna be a handicap for me though, definitely. I'm already handicapped by not having any of the Faction items, for the same reason.

I have no crafter(s) of my own and thus must rely upon other players.

-Galen's player

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not sure what I'm going to do WITH Embueing, but I will DEFINITELY be persuing it as I think it will add a FUN aspect to crafting.

Right now, I'm saving a few sets of the new colored armor (especially darker colors as I find them) for that purpose as well as some runic hammers.

K

kennykilleduo

Get over it. How many more years till the pre-AOS die hards get over it? besides imbuing makes it easier to get what you need...like the old days.

Items based is what killed UO ( or should I say put the 8th nail , or killed the 8th life of the cat) ...

:coco:

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Melt it all down and Pray for a ring to replace my mages current ring. (10sdi 3fcr 3lmc 15lrc) while its not a bad ring, I have yet to find anything better in all my years of endless hunting.

I would like to see a similar ring with the lrc replaced with 15 fire resist.

F

Fink

The One Ring To Pwn Them All.

Some of my personal plans - ie: things I intend to make for myself - will depend on what they do with +skill items as I still have a few jewelled-up characters. Also I'll be making myself some decent suits.. nothing uber, just pieces I've never been able to find at less than ridiculous prices. Just a little MR here, LMC there, not even maxed properties, just enough to improve my gear a little. Mostly I want oddball pieces that the runic crafters never make; eg: leaf tunic, dragon scale breastplate, etc.

Other than that, I'm simply hoping there will be some sort of trade/market for Imbued items rather than everyone switching to their crafter to suit themselves. Not really likely unless there's a fair proportion of people who don't/won't train the skill, can't be buggered unravelling crap, or haven't the time to invest.

Hopefully the non-PoF-able nature of Imbued items will mean there's some sort of turnover, eventually. Basically I'd love to be a go-to guy for Imbuing, much like I was for repairs and gear back when the brit forge was the place to go for such things.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Other games have failed long-term because they were a leveling treadmill or forcing you into item-hunting. I don't want UO to make the same mistakes and fail"

dont use the items not use them at all fight only with GM made gear if you want to you can choose too !!! i have a char that dont use magic none never because i choose too i can play him for weeks having a blast never board !!
I already am doing that. My main character only uses simple gm-made armor and no insurance. However, it does not make sense if you're the only one doing it, especially in PvP or guild wars.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The very first thing that I'll be imbuing with the intention of keeping it is...

A suit of matching armor so I'm not forced to rely on a robe to hide my 4 different types of armor in one suit (chain (fey) leggings, plate (gorget and heart of lion), leather sleeves and ninja (stormgrip) gloves.

Edit:

And I hope...
Hats.

P

peanutbutter

i'm scared....

what's the chance of destroying the item you're imbuing?

A

Anon McDougle

I already am doing that. My main character only uses simple gm-made armor and no insurance. However, it does not make sense if you're the only one doing it, especially in PvP or guild wars.
Not to bash you or start a new/beat to death argument but there are hundreds no thouands that want this (or so they say) yet everyone eats the pixel candy as fast as they hand it out.

this may sound shocking but they (EA etc) give us what we want

P

peanutbutter

0% - you can lose materials on a failure but not the item.
well, that's lame.

wow.

i can see the reset / roll back already.

don't get me wrong... i'm a crafter and i'm looking forward to IMB... but if people do manage to put 100% leeches and stuff on repeating crossbows or katanas that were never meant to have those mods, we're gonna see another server reset and mass item delete like we saw right after ML came out.

P

peanutbutter

Not to bash you or start a new/beat to death argument but there are hundreds no thouands that want this (or so they say) yet everyone eats the pixel candy as fast as they hand it out.

this may sound shocking but they (EA etc) give us what we want
right on.

if people didn't want new items - or if they wanted a "revert" to the "good old days", you wouldn't have all been grinding to get as many trinkets as you could over the past month-n-a-half.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hunh? You do realize that the leeching % displayed on an item is not the intensity, right? It's the intensity weighted by the speed of the weapon - so you'll never get "100% mana leeching" on a fast weapon.

S

Sarphus

Remember, a weapons balance pass is coming with or before SA.

Ornates may not be disproportionally powerful like they are now.

Before you dispute that comment, a simple look at the delay and base dmg on ornate axes reveals that it's roughly 10 DPS higher than anything else.

I don't know what I'll be imbuing when SA comes out. I'm going to have to make that judgement call after I see what happens with the balance pass

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember, a weapons balance pass is coming with or before SA.

Ornates may not be disproportionally powerful like they are now.

Before you dispute that comment, a simple look at the delay and base dmg on ornate axes reveals that it's roughly 10 DPS higher than anything else.

I don't know what I'll be imbuing when SA comes out. I'm going to have to make that judgement call after I see what happens with the balance pass
I don't see them as often as I would have guessed. Maybe it's the specials.

Even if they balance them though, I'm betting they will remain good weapons. For example, the katana....Best all-around weapon in UO pre-AoS, and still used today, though less so.

-Galen's player

S

Sarphus

well, that's lame.

wow.

don't get me wrong... i'm a crafter and i'm looking forward to IMB... but if people do manage to put 100% leeches and stuff on repeating crossbows or katanas that were never meant to have those mods, we're gonna see another server reset and mass item delete like we saw right after ML came out.

That's not the full story...

You can't destroy an item by imbuing it. You also can't imbue an item that's been enhanced. People will want high-mod items that have been enhanced, so you will need to imbue max-mod items until you successfully enhance one. Each one will need to be powdered before it is imbued too, so you will be burning through PoF on each attempt as well.

After all this, it's still an item that eventually will wear out, because you can't use PoF on an imbued item.

I really doubt imbuing will break suilt-building. I think it will cause a high demand for PoF, though. People are going to burn through a TON of PoF trying to build that one item that completes their suit. Then when they're successful, that one item will be wearing out, so they will have to work toward creating the next one.

I'll re-iterate... the way you make a maxed out item will be to do things in this order.

Acquire the base item
Powder the item up to 255 durability with PoF
Imbue the mods the way you want them
Try to enhance the item

Enhancing scales its success rate based on the total mods on an item, so people will be breaking max mod items a lot before they actually enhance one.

I think the imbuing system is genius...

S

Sarphus

oh I think ornates will still be good. I just think they won't be disproportionately good like they are now.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I don't want UO to make the same mistakes and fail.

Given how long UO has been running...and I imagine it has several more years before the final curtain is drawn, I would say it is now impossible to say it failed...even if it ends tomorrow.

P

peanutbutter

hunh? You do realize that the leeching % displayed on an item is not the intensity, right? It's the intensity weighted by the speed of the weapon - so you'll never get "100% mana leeching" on a fast weapon.
i should read up on how the ingredients work for imbuing then. i thought some other people above were getting excited that they were going to put 100% leech on their repeaters.

so, to clarify (for them and me) let's say you unravel all the ingredients you need for 100% intensity mana leech. then, you apply it to the repeating crossbow. what will the property be? should be 50%, right? cause that's (at this time) the maximum intensity you can get on a max speed weapon (in that damage range).

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's my understanding - caps should work just like using a runic.

(this assumes that there are no bugs that slip through)

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will reiterate, since apparently it needs to be done, that I hope that tinkered items such as nunchaku and skinning/butcher knives (these need runics, btw) and long-forgotten items (black staves, bear/wolf/deer masks???) make the cut this time around for imbuing *and* enhancing...

Hello, Leurocian? Haallllooooo???

B

BadManiac

Actually what I'm mostly hoping for with SA is a 100% lower LAG cost suit... >.<

S

Satanatra

By let everyone get all the sweetest gear, the devs are actually returning the game to a skill/player based state. How? The easier it is to get to the caps, the more people have essentially the same armor (although individual pieces will vary), and therefore combat will once again depend on the player's skill...

Give everyone the most insane items possible, but keep the caps tight. This will please both types of players: those addicted to eye-candy; those who want balance.

S

Splup

Well, playing since 2000, seen Pub 16, AoS, SE, ML... I have the best hopes but I'm preparing myself to see totally unfair instakill temps in PvP for 3-6 months.

D

Der Rock

By let everyone get all the sweetest gear, the devs are actually returning the game to a skill/player based state. How? The easier it is to get to the caps, the more people have essentially the same armor (although individual pieces will vary), and therefore combat will once again depend on the player's skill...
Give everyone the most insane items possible, but keep the caps tight. This will please both types of players: those addicted to eye-candy; those who want balance.

if all is even,what then?
what you say is like: all waer gm armor and rusty dagger(like in the golden age)
only on a higher level.

then the only people who win are the scripter,the gangs,the best connection again.
then yes, we will have the return of the golden age.

yes, give everyone his own Excalibur or Balmung (REPLICA)
destroy all wishes and dreams in a phantasie RP game and what remain is a simple
jump´n run game :(

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In theory, you are right! Let us only hope the caps will remain tight! You already seen those players asking for higher skill caps, better mods on items etc. Let's hope the Devs will not listen to them.

However, will the powerful items really be available to everyone? Or only to power-gamers who do champ spawns in Felucca or elsewhere? How will new players fit into all this?

Also, let us remember you could (and should) make monsters more powerful to withstand all the item madness. Or will the Devs just create more dangerous dungeons, and leave the old dungeon crap unchanged? And how about PvP? Can players equipped with simple GM armor be killed with a single hit? If so, why does this kind of armor even exist? What about those players who do not wish to join into the item-hunting-madness?