• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When is EA going to ban the hackers?

• Thread starter Archon007
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
A

Archon007

Subject says it all. There is so many hackers on this shard and in this game, when are you (EA) going to get off your asses and do something?

People running faster on foot, then mount.
People casting double flamestrikes.
People casting Flamestrikes faster than Harm.

No wonder the game is diing

A

Archon007

maybe your just laggy...?
No, I ping at 22 I live right next to the server. And I run a computer that runs Warhammer and Age of Conan on Max in big PvP fights without lagging.

W

WooWoo

well then your seeing things because there is absolutly no way to cast a flamestrike as fast as a harm because that casting time is server side not client

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's threads like this that make the dev's dismiss cheating as a myth.

There are 2 kinds of cheating that need to be addressed (in PvP).

Speedhacks
Client Hacks to walk through passable objects

Lord Hunter

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was runing around Hytloth the other day and I swear that a Balron teleported through 2 walls and a door and cast 2 flamestrikes on me at once.

I am 100% positive he was cheating...

Or it was just a silly glitch that happens from time to time, ussualy to me.

Unfortunetly no one really has a way of finding out whos speedhacking and whos not. Years ago I was called a speedhacker and was sent to jail many times becuase of it. The year was 2000 and guess what was just becoming popular? You guesed it highspeed internet. Most players were still runing around on 56k or a really slow DSL line and here I come zooming in on my brand new high speed cable. This was the evolution in PvP where it went from skill, to who had a better connection that determined the winner. Eventually as high speed connections got more popular Skill came back into the picture.

Thus ends our trip down memory lane.

The point being, yes there may be things out there that give people a edge over others in terms of speedhacking and changing how things work on the client side, but we have no way of proving that the person is hacking.(unless they post pictures with obvious third party programs runing in that, and lets hope no one does as that is a very big violation of the RoC.)

So lets keep this thread going without accusing anyone of doing anything?

Oh by the way, the Balron did those things to me as I play on a 56k line. Hes playing on a super high speed cable line at the servers location. No way am I faster then him.

R

RichDC

Lets be completly honest, watching people walk over candelabras/boxes/hay bails...Its pretty GD obvious they are HACKING!

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About the last and only thing I've heard anyone associated with EA/Mythic comment on this subject was that they were looking at doing some things on the programming/dev side of things. Of course they didn't go into details. As far as telling who is running what, that is pretty hard to say with 100% certainty unless of course they post screenshots that show that they are running unapproved programs or have modified their client. Then again seeing people run through things that you know is unpassable is also a pretty big give away. Its probably easier to tell who isn't running anything.

Since the sports analogy was brought up, when a baseball player that averages 20-25 homeruns a year for the last 5 years suddenly starts hitting 40-50, do people suspect somethings up. You betcha, and usually 8 or 9 years later in front of Congress they finally admit what everyone suspected.

Some teams loose not because the other team is better, its because they don't match-up. Just like in UO. Some templates have a hard time fighting certain template while they can pretty much mop the floor with everyone else.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe your just laggy...?
I am, but still...some folks fly around on my screen. Who knows though. Comp gonna get an upgrade in a few months. New MOBO and CPU starters.

btw...Link and Rich. Do you all play Sonoma or just read all the forums?

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You CANNOT cast while moving.....
If someone thinks this is what they are seeing it's actually

STOP & Cast......................Zooom Zooom Zooom................... Target.

It's not CASTING while moving ... it's simply moving fast enough to catch up after having stopped....

*for those umm.. Smarty pants out there... I know you can cast Holy light and some such while moving.. but NOT ANY magery / Necro spells.*

B

Busters

connection does have everything to do with pvp, u can be the best player ever, but if ur con sucks then u will be dead before you know it. Also, yes there are alot of things you can change client side, and alot of people do these days,(passing through objects that were mentioned, adjusting fields, drop walls on houses) which of coarse will make you alot less laggy because it drops how much animation you have and how much your comp must load. there are alot of things that can be done client side that make you faster, but u can never cast a flamestrike as fast as a harm, unless your extremely laggy, then of coarse it would seem that way. EA can stop alot of the client side modifications people do if they wanted to.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They wont start banning hackers until they know for a fact that someone is actually hacking. People have cried wolf so many times on these issues that GM's stopped listening as much as they use to.

Suspicion and hearsay is NOT proof. If they banned over suspicion and hearsay we'd have a lot of innocent players banned.

Lord Hunter

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They wont start banning hackers until they know for a fact that someone is actually hacking. People have cried wolf so many times on these issues that GM's stopped listing as much as they use to.

Suspicion and hearsay is NOT proof. If they banned over suspicion and hearsay we'd have a lot of innocent players banned.
Quote of the day.

Until it can be proven with 100% accuracy that someone is doing something they are not suppose to EA will not be able to do anything about it and they shouldnt do anything about it until they have a 100% chance of getting the right answer. I belive it might have been mentioned that when the next expansion comes out that within that client there will be a lot of things that will make it very hard for people to cheat.

However it is human nature and I am sure someone someday will find a way around it.

I have never seen anyone cast FS while moving and you think in 10 years if there was such a way I would have seen something like that by now.

Chances are the OP at the time of seeing this had a poor connection or a hiccup in his line. It took him a few extra seconds to catch up to everyone else and thus it appeared as if people were casting and moving at the same time.

It does happen, its just not what youd like to think it is. Ask anyone here and they will tell you there is nothing wrong with their connection. =D Reality is every once in awhile we all do but most of us dont notice it as its so small.

Like I said I notice it a lot becuase I play on a 56k line. I know its on my end and not something that someone is doing to their client on their end.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you seen the SA Beta eula?

Great, now you have everyone in suspense, or running around looking to see if they can find the end user license agreement. Ques the Final Jeopardy music.

This FS casting on the run subject was brought up in UHall and the best explanation someone gave was that if you have two computers and both are running UO and you have a char logged in on account A on computer A and then log onto Account B on computer B and run up to char A, you will notice that on computer B your char will already have ran into Char A, but when you look on computer A, your char B is still running up to char A. The conclusion was that on the mages computer they are running, stopping, casting and then running again, but to the other person it looks like they are running, stutter step, cast, and running.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting...I thought Crissay had mentioned something either in a FOF or just responding to a question about hacks/scripts that they were looking into doing something on the programming/dev side of it. It was a while back, and I didn't have the time to find the post.

H

Horizon

...Years ago I was called a speedhacker and was sent to jail many times becuase of it. The year was 2000 and guess what was just becoming popular? You guesed it highspeed internet. Most players were still runing around on 56k or a really slow DSL line and here I come zooming in on my brand new high speed cable. This was the evolution in PvP where it went from skill, to who had a better connection that determined the winner. Eventually as high speed connections got more popular Skill came back into the picture.
Exactly. I remember being one of those that thought you were speed hacking. I eventually got a better comp and a good enough connection to have a reliable ping in the high 20s.

Jagerstadt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ditto. I know that a lot of people that play UO have older computers. And I don't think they realize how much of a difference processing power makes even in a game like UO. Actually, compared to 3D games, UO is much more cpu-heavy, as there is no offloading to the gpu. If you have a beefy computer with fat bandwidth you can practically run circles around people while their comp processes sprites, trees, ground tiles, houses, etc. How you have your network performance optimized can make a world of difference as well.