• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

whats the best way for a non tamer to train up his swampy?

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i want to use a swampy as my mount on a non tamer. it is bonding now and i want to work up its stats. shadow ele?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you go for a shadow ele, I think you'll need another pet tanking against the ele. Otherwise I fear the swampie might get swamped :D (one day I'll resist a bad joke!) Also you need to get the swampie to the same skill as the shadow ele to get the best gains.

I would start your swampie fighting gaman to work melee skills, as they aren't too squishy or too tough. They're easy to get to and they're passive gentle creatures so you won't be overwhelmed with them or their damage. I would try those for as long as you can before looking for new spawns to work with.

The trick to training any pet in UO is to match it to a spawn with similar skill levels. The Hunter's Guide here on Stratics has a very useful advanced search for pet training. Lore your pet, look at the lowest skills first. Go to the advanced search in the Hunter's Guide and down at the bottom you can search by skill levels. Put the lowest skill in there and search - you can set different criteria for sorting the results too. Then it's just common sense because you choose spawns that a swampie could handle i.e., the easy ones. It's best to start easy and go to tougher spawns, rather than go hunting something too powerful and getting your swampie killed The HG will even tell you where to find the spawns you want to try.

If you can, include any small magic casters you can too, then you'll work up magic resist as well as melee skill.

Wenchy

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stone magery on and have a tamer tame u a lowland boura or ruddy boura and use it as a boxingbag i done that a couple times on weaker pets

they come with around 80 in all skills fresh tame so will bring your pet to gm

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good idea as well. i was fooling around in front of my house and put the swampy on a blue healer. i mana vamped the blue healer and can pretty easily keep the swampy alive. at around 50 wrestling the swampy was doing very little damage to the healer.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gregorio outside of Skara Brae, near the Ranger Huts, works real well for low Wrest/Tact training, and is awesome for Anat training. He can't be damaged by pets, and he dishes out real low damage. The Spectral Spellbinders in New Haven are best for Magic Resist training. Just tell your swampy to attack them, then immediately tell him to follow you. Just keep doing that with all the Spectral Spellbinders you see, and you'll have a train of them following your swampy around spamming spells on him. They'll only spam spells that can gain Resist too, so he'll reach GM Resist within an hour of that.