• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's in a name?

• Thread starter Emuishere
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
E

Emuishere

I thought this would be fun. How did everyone come up with the name for their characters in WoW.

For those who know me a little, they know I'm into Egyptology. Hence all my characters have Egyptian names.

Emuishere means kitten.
Omorose means beautiful.

Those are my two mains...

So who's the next contestant?

S

Scyklin

I was actually just using the random name generator and a name popped up with Scy at the front but i didn't like the rest so I changed it a few times and decided on Scyklin.

I'm still the only Scyklin in all of Warcraft to my knowledge so I guess it was a good choice :).

Z

Zephyrum

My druid's name (and the name that everyone in WoW knows me as) of Zephyrum is based on the Greek god of the west wind, Zephyrus. I wanted just "Zephyr", but it was taken, so I thought about it for a while and I was like, "Hey, let's add a 'um' to the end!" And so here I am with the only Zephyrum at this time. Nobody go making a Zephyrum D:

My shaman's name, Synth, is from a Synthesizer. I named her when I couldn't think of any name and was listening to some very unique music, so I started going with music-related names.

And lastly... my rogue Zenth. A horribly lazy and unoriginal combination of Zephyrum and Synth, I just could absolutely not think of a single name at creation :blushing:.

There's my 2 cents ^^

E

Eldorian

Eldorian - Made it up years and years ago when trying to think of a name for a new D&D character. Was watching Back to the Future in the background... so Eldorian is a play on words of the Delorian.

Ale - Used to be Alebeard, but had to change the name when I changed servers since there was already an Alebeard there. Just a fitting name for a dwarf.

Zamaria - Girlfriend came up with the name when I was making a new character and couldn't think of anything. So it stuck.

N

Nyaz

My original name for my tauren Hunter was Gonzo (because it sounded big), and I played with my brother who played a tauren shaman named Ravenfeather.
Then he stopped playing and me and my guild moved to another server, where some annoying level 14 orc was already called "Gonzo".
So, I assumed that Ravenfeather was more of a last name (seeing as my brother had it on the other server...) and used that. Ta-daaah!

Then there's my blood elf mage called Tazmikella, which I stole straight off from one of R.A. Salvatore's books. (Tazmikella and Ilenzhara = The dragon sisters in that employ Jarlaxle and that assassin... whats-his-name, Entreri).

Now I need to figure out a name for my upcoming Death Knight...

I

InkTank

Before EQ started, I knew I was going toplay a dwarf, so I spent a lot of time makig up a name. I ultimately took my name (Barry T Smith) and scrambled up some the letters to get "Ryshat". I like dit and it has bene the name of my dwarf mains in all the games I 've played (EQ, DnD, Warcraft, etc.)

I'm sure there will eventually be a Ryshat running around in the Warhammer Online world at some point.

Ryshat's "half brother" is a gnome and his name is Webee. This is also based off an EQ character who was a halfling druid and was my "traveling" character. His full name was Webee Jammin. So Webee has also made the jump to Warcraft, but he is a gnome rogue who is my bank alt.

Pretty much Webee stays in down and does all the family buisness with the AH and vendors and the bank while Ryshat can run around and adventure.

L

Lag

Back when I was 10/12, I was trying to think of an RPish name for The Elder Scrolls. I re-arranged several common fantasy names, and Lagoin was born. When I went online in Anarchy Online and then WoW, people called me "lag" so my nickname stuck. Likewise, it makes for great conversation.

L

lovecraft

Lovecraft. Name was made to play homage to Writer H.P. Lovecraft.

Bellatric. One of my alts is named after the Bellatrix Estrange from Harry Potter.

Blizza. Name after a spell from the Final Fantasy games.

@ Nyaz: Artemis Entreri, probably one of the best anti-heroes every created.

E

Emuishere

Nice to know there are lots of R.A. Salvatore fans here. The info from this is awesome!!!!

X

xdarthduckiex

My first character was a rogue and I did some serious thinking about the name. I was scrolling throught the random names on the character selection screen when I found a name, but I disliked the whole thing so I left the first three letters, Lor, and after some tweaking I got the name I loved, Lorielle.

I have never been creative with names so I decided to name my priest after a name I actually like, Alexandra, but since it was taken I just changed the letter after X. My shaman got her name, Janaa, from Jaina solo in the Star Wars series, Jaina was already taken unfortunatly. ( I actually wanted the name Tonks from the Harry potter series but it was also taken. )

N

Nyaz

@ Nyaz: Artemis Entreri, probably one of the best anti-heroes every created.
Ah! That's right, that's his name.
However I have to say Jarlaxle has always been sort of my favorite, because of him always having a solution to everything.

"Oh, we appear to be stuck in here. Nevermind, I have a portable hole here in my hat! *poof* Ta-daaah! Oh, and did I mention I can conjure throwing knives from my bracelet?"

W

wtfisit123

I'm not rly sure why i called my main Deadshoot. I think its just cause it's a name u can remember, and u can call me Dead. My other name which i take much pride in is the name of my guild, The Nethergarde Bros. It was going to be bretheren, but it didn't fit, and by now i am glad it didn't cause i realize how much worse that woulda been, but The Nethergarde Bros is a real good name to remember and not that hard. I always like the "Nethergarde", a faction of the alliance in the blasted lands and hellfire peninsula (not reputation-obtainable). And its The Nethergarde "Bros" because me and my best friend Ronge (in-game main name) made it and i consider him as a brother almost. So i guess now i would like to have the name as The Nethergarde Brotherhood. Our nickname would be TNGB and we always stood up for what is right and logical, not what is easy. Our tabard isn't one of those damned repetative black-red, black-green, black-black, BLACK tabards, its a blue and white with a torquoise lining and i think that pretty much beats the "black" tabards.

L

lovecraft

Ah! That's right, that's his name.
However I have to say Jarlaxle has always been sort of my favorite, because of him always having a solution to everything.

"Oh, we appear to be stuck in here. Nevermind, I have a portable hole here in my hat! *poof* Ta-daaah! Oh, and did I mention I can conjure throwing knives from my bracelet?"
LOL

A

autarctic

Lets see the name I use i made up years ago. Autarctic Aut meaning Self and arctic because I am a freak and I love everything to do with the cold and ice and snow and freezing, and everything that goes with it.

the rest of my names are all in some form of that theme of Ice and snow and cold. they vary but they all carry the same theme and I try to use the main ones i use all the time

level 70 toon names

Autarctic(Warlock on one realm Mage on another)
Gelid(my rogue)
Zultic(my warrior alt- i wanted a troll name in for this guy so i took ZUL and took TIC from Arctic)
my DKs saved name on my realm is Rimerost(Rime and Frost) i like the way it looked so I am sticking with it

As you can see I am a bit of a freak i got others but those are the ones I play and my Deathknights name which i guess you all can guess what spec he will be aye?:coco:

L

Lag

Not a freak, just an obssession. Welcome :)

Also. Mmmm, Primeroast...I mean rimerost.
:D

V

vladbblhrth

my original name was vladamir, and if you armoried my name at the time i made my char you would have found only 1 person by that name...that was a long time ago, waaaaay before the armory sadly, but i had one vladamir on all 5 servers that were available at the time i made my acct =D and when i made my pally i had to think of something creative, but nothing came to mind. so i thought of what pallies did, they bubble hearth, so vladbblhrth was born

E

Eldorian

my original name was vladamir, and if you armoried my name at the time i made my char you would have found only 1 person by that name...that was a long time ago, waaaaay before the armory sadly, but i had one vladamir on all 5 servers that were available at the time i made my acct =D and when i made my pally i had to think of something creative, but nothing came to mind. so i thought of what pallies did, they bubble hearth, so vladbblhrth was born
Rofl on the name... I get it now. When I first saw it I thought maybe you were some chinese gold spammer :p

L

Lalixir

The character I play now is Elixir... Lalixir stemmed from that.

I was planning on rolling a priest on Barthilas before it was opened as they gave a months notice so I was thinking about how I'd name my character. So one day I'm sitting around with nothing to do so I dust off my copy of FF7 and decide to go fight the Midgar Zolem (big snake thing) with two people dead and no equipment.

I found myself out of every kind of potion to heal myself and was left with one restorative item... The all powerful Full Hp/Mp Elixir. I thought to myself... That will be my priests name.

Was awesome when they announced alchemy professions :p. Gives me an edge on the other alchemist's on trade chat.

D

Devilengine

I agonize over what to name my toons. Most of them are plays on something significant or some obscure deity or demon or whatever.

C

Caelas

I might raise an eyebrow on this...

My first character was Mordn. I got his name...well, from the random name generator. I think the name was longer, but I shortened it down and tossed an N on it. Why? No clue. :)

Sharpio...I had a sharpie on my desk. Sharpio sounded better.

Zyphoid...ah, that is from the body part Zyphoid Process. Plus I thought it sounded cool.

F

Fojos

I just thought of my names on the spot. Fojos I came up with like 8 years ago, and Taudark when I made it in WoW. :p

Elm

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used Kindsir for my Priest as i thought it would look cool seeing quests naming me a kindsir :)

Used Cenobiarch which means Dark Pope for my Warlock, again it seems fitting.
Cymiryc for my druid... just wanted a Welsh sounding name for a tree hugger.