• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whats happened to our pvp?

• Thread starter BBurnyeWest
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BBurnyeWest

I have only been pvping for a few short months but even when i started GIMP/minax had anywhere from 6-10 online at anytime and it was impossible to not get a fight. I even experienced the rons come back and i fought them (got owned by them) a few times. Where has everyone gone? why the sudden dissapearance from everyone? We need our pvp back to keep oceania healthy. Even if the big trammie guilds such as POC and EOB learn to pvp a little it would make the game so much better for all of us. Its been pretty slow and im having to resort to fighting khrone/high risk/dimebag etc. With the occasionaly appearance and challenge from held/dain together and a few others. Will SA bring our pvp back or am i just wasting my time here learning pvp in a dead shard?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Always happens during the summer. They'll be back come fall. :)

P

Paradox_

We said this would happen and it did.

We got bored of the same **** all the time, and no outlet to organise ANYTHING to do with PvP, even though it was provent hat PvPers made the majority of this shard.

Watch this thread get deleted btw.

B

BBurnyeWest

Yeah i guess your pretty right paradox, but something needs to happen to spark interest for pvp in everyone again.

P

Paradox_

We tried.

The trammies who hold the power but not the majority of the shard wanted their way, so we all left, and the shard is dead. We said it would happen but they thought they could carry it themselves.

*shrug* noone to blame the state of the shard other than themselves.

watch them come back and say 'it was us it was you blah blah blah' usual boring tripe that gets nowhere.

F

Farscape

We tried.

The trammies who hold the power but not the majority of the shard wanted their way, so we all left, and the shard is dead. We said it would happen but they thought they could carry it themselves.

*shrug* noone to blame the state of the shard other than themselves.

watch them come back and say 'it was us it was you blah blah blah' usual boring tripe that gets nowhere.
Cods Wollop:wall:

G

GET A LIFE ASAP

Paradox is right. UO has become a game for brain dead role playing trams, people like you made it that way. The game is no longer fun for the pvpers, or should I say, the normal people who played this game. It won't be long before you can all run around in fel without fear, dancing and singing and fighting each other with fireworks wands and fishing poles.

Enjoy

F

Fink

Everyone points to tram/duping/hacking/whatever as the death of UO. Nobody ever stops to consider it might just be dying of old age.

Stygian Abyss has sections that are Felucca rules only, the first major addition to the Fel landscape since The Second Age. Imbuing has the potential to significantly lower the entry-level cost of equipping for pvp. SA may increase the population depending on how it's received, meaning more people to fight. Recent global & EM events have included and depended upon Factions and/or pvp, and the current dev team seems to have more focus on pvp than any line-up in the last 6-7 years. No, they're not entirely given over to nothing but pvp development but then they're at least building it into the future of UO, if indeed it has one.

P

Paradox_

Everyone points to tram/duping/hacking/whatever as the death of UO. Nobody ever stops to consider it might just be dying of old age.
No no no NO NO NO!!!

There are shards out there with thousands of players playing OLD UO. With NO NEW CONTENT.

I swear its like talking to a brick wall around here.

F

Fink

No no no NO NO NO!!!

There are shards out there with thousands of players playing OLD UO. With NO NEW CONTENT.

I swear its like talking to a brick wall around here.
Of course they're popular, they're free.

Many thousands playing free browser-based "rpg" games also, but that's not under discussion here either. Besides, I didn't equate "old age" to a lack of new content. If anything it's the new content that cops the blame for why UO is in decline. The bare fact is it simply doesn't have the impact a new title does; the anticipation, the announcements, the cutting edge gameplay that newer games all have and have successfully used to lure players away from older, established games.

I'm referring to Ultima Online as hosted by EA, not any of the free shards. This was the game under discussion, as I understood the thread. I didn't see anyone complaining about freeshards lacking pvp. And if that's the case, go knock yourself out & quit complaining about a game you don't play anyway. Stop trying to change something you clearly feel you have no control over.

For a commercial, paid-for service you can't stagnate. You must continue to develop or people will take their money elsewhere. I still play 1980's arcade games, but I wouldn't pay for them on a coin-op machine.

It's basic economics.

P

Paradox_

Oh, MY GOD.

You really have no clue.

People donate to the shard i.e. subscribe because THEY WANT TO PLAY. Sure they dont have to, and it can be free, but ask anyone of them and if EA had any similar server THEY WOULD PAY. The reason it is free is because THEY CANT CHARGE A MONTHLY FEE.

Once again, brick wall.

F

Fink

People donate to the shard i.e. subscribe because THEY WANT TO PLAY. Sure they dont have to, and it can be free, but ask anyone of them and if EA had any similar server THEY WOULD PAY.
Yes, I'm sure they all pay.. and everyone who ever used shareware eventually paid for a license. Now who's being naive? ;)

The reason it is free is because THEY CANT CHARGE A MONTHLY FEE.
Close. The reason it is free is because they don't charge a monthly fee. Setting up a subscription service is dead easy, just start an account with PayPal & fill in a form. However, they know if they forced the issue the freeloaders (most of the population, I'd wager) would simply go to another shard.

P

Paradox_

Oh, MY GOD AGAIN.

THEY CANT CHARGE FOR IT!!!

So I can copy Windows XP and put it in a box and then resell it for $10?

*bangs head repeatedly against a brick wall*

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the shard in question isnt popular because its free, its popular because its old school uo.

D

Dain

There are 1000's of free servers, many with 1000's of players.

There are quite a few like the ones previously mentioned, old school UO; which people love.

But there are also quality servers with large population that are OSI simulators, never more then a few weeks behind the EA Patch's.

So really, the free servers are an excellent indication of what people want, because there is literally server designed to suit every type of playstyle.

F

Fink

Oh, MY GOD AGAIN.

THEY CANT CHARGE FOR IT!!!

So I can copy Windows XP and put it in a box and then resell it for $10?

*bangs head repeatedly against a brick wall*
Are you really going to argue a moral stance on freeshards? lol..

So it's okay to steal but not to profit from it. And it's okay to solicit "donations" in exchange for stolen goods but not to charge for them. Uhm.. taking something that isn't yours is profiting from theft.

P

Paradox_

Oh sweet jesus.

There have been legal cases over running free shards. They can do it as long as they DONT MAKE A PROFIT OFF OF IT.

The appeal of such a large amount of shards, and new ones cropping up, is because they are based on OLD SCHOOL UO. I see many being created (EVEN IN AUSTRALIA) that are pre-AOS. They do it out of their spare time and dont get paid for it, but they have passion.

The shard is dead, we tried to inject life into it but got turned down because a few little cry babies dont want us to say a bad word. Have fun running around fell with nothing to do except talk to monsters. Have fun with that.

F

Fink

Oh sweet jesus.

There have been legal cases over running free shards. They can do it as long as they DONT MAKE A PROFIT OFF OF IT.
Ahh, so ethics is your angle now. It's not stealing in the same way OJ isn't a murderer. Gotcha :thumbsup:

The shard is dead, we tried to inject life into it but got turned down because a few little cry babies dont want us to say a bad word. Have fun running around fell with nothing to do except talk to monsters. Have fun with that.
That's fine, you tried, you failed, and you're aware of it. According to your own claims, you should be used to losing to trams by now. But do be aware there are plenty of "trams" who don't embrace your playstyle but also don't necessarily oppose pvp either. Not everyone who watered a plant or filled a bulk order is out to castrate you.

To lump everyone non-pvp as a tram/cry baby/rper/carebear/etc is a gross and antagonistic mislabeling, and it behooves you to properly address people if you wish them to take you seriously; not a priority for you, I take it.

If "crybabies" ruined UO for you (the irony..), perhaps your bigotry against everyone else, including your peers in the pvp field, is the cause of your undoing? To paraphrase a pvper & former UOer who actually does have my respect: you crap in your own sandbox then wonder why the other kids don't want to come and play.

P

Paradox_

Nah a more apt analogy is 'the bigger better smarter kids ran the sandbox, the little whiny, noob, uglier, fatter, more ******** group couldnt get a shot because they were unwilling to learn or try to get into the sandbox, so instead called the principal who banned the smarter and better kids to a smaller sandbox, while the crybabies got to play in the sand in peace and enjoy all the new equipment because they sucked up to the teachers and became teachers pets, while the other group got rejected because they were perceived as 'being bullies' when in fact they were just using the sandbox as intended'

go suck up to EA more, they might give you DAEMONS and SUCCUBI next! HEY GUYZ LETZ BE FEMALE DAEMONS N SUCK PPLS LIFE AND FLY LOLZ.

P

Paradox_

And you're comparing Stealing and Murder to 'running a freeshard'? Right mate.

Considering running a freeshard has been deemed OKAY BY A COURT OF LAW as long as it isnt charging a monthly subscription. Thats like saying 'murder is okay if you pay for it' lol some people honestly

F

five oclock

Para..something you keep bringing up...

The shard is dead, we tried to inject life into it but got turned down because a few little cry babies dont want us to say a bad word.

Ok are you talking about the game? or the boards?

For in the game..whats stopping you from doing this?

As for this stratic board shutting down the PVP of the ocean shard...Ummm seriously now..you got to be kidding me...

as for the game in general....its going on 12 years...

where is the dead horse..I must keep beating it...Thank you :D

P

Paradox_

Sigh...
so many stupid people.

We tried - we tried to create harrowers,join factions, do everythign we could to generate in game pvp, and we COULDNT advertise ANYTHING on the boards.

So we tried to get that back, got shut down, so the majority left.

And the game is 12 years old - BUT YOU PEOPLE KEEP MISSING THE POINT THAT IT IS AS STRONG AS EVER ON OTHER SHARDS WHICH ARE BASED ON OLD STYLE UO.

for god sake dont people think.

F

five oclock

Sigh...
so many stupid people.

We tried - we tried to create harrowers,join factions, do everythign we could to generate in game pvp, and we COULDNT advertise ANYTHING on the boards.

And the game is 12 years old - BUT YOU PEOPLE KEEP MISSING THE POINT THAT IT IS AS STRONG AS EVER ON OTHER SHARDS WHICH ARE BASED ON OLD STYLE UO.

for god sake dont people think.
ya know...first off quit saying stupid people... :D thank you very much..

Umm...you didnt create harrys..you popped one and then waited for the ganked fest...
Tried to get what back and how did it get shut down?
what other shards are based on old style UO thats run by EA games?? plz tell me this.
As for advertising on the boards..is there a event thing or something on stratics? that you can post things like this? Hey everyone we are going to do this harry or this champ...care to take a chance at us? come on bring it on.

The pvp thread again was locked for the abusive. NOT on how to help people do better at it. NOT how we are looking for a fight when this harry pops. It was closed for abusive stuff.

Again. You are really not making much sense. There are SO many loop holes in your statements its really not funny anymore.

The good ones left for the real reason they are tired of this game. The cheats the hacks the graphics the unbalance..how EA dont care about the players on either side..shall I go on?

As for the boards..well I think I answered that all ready...

NOW for a free shard..hrm..lets see..its FREE!! Hello! these free shards start charinging..the player base would drop faster than a Beep with a beep...

To finish my friend..I understand your frustration....I understand your passion about this cheesy game...But seriously....go out there and try something new...your insults are just making you look like a kid whos crying for they didnt get there way when so many of there older brothers did...

I do think..often...maybe just maybe you should find something new ;D

F

Fink

My advice would be to go with the ones who left.

Clearly this entire issue is something you feel very passionately about and discussing it with people of dissimilar opinion only seems to aggravate and upset you. Your best bet would be to move onto something new (as five points out and as I mentioned before), something more to your tastes, be that another game entirely or another "version" of UO; perhaps Siege Perilous? I don't condone freeshards but then that's your prerogative & it sounds as if you're leaning that way.

Just make sure it involves less of this: :wall:, more of this: :D

T

The Shadow Hawk

:danceb: Freeshards = FREE!!! UO is like sex! It's better when its free!! :danceb:

..although some may argue the quality of such interactions... :D

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
despite the fact i hate the pancake this song aptly describes the oceania board:

[YOUTUBE]gDBu-hX0Itg[/YOUTUBE]

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok lemme get a few things in before the lock.

harrowers - When? I havent seen you guys do a harrower for quite some time. I think the last harrower i seen you do was not long after you all came back. But then again I dont get on over the weekend, and apparently neither do you guys.

factions - this made me LOL. How did you try to create pvp in factions? Your first faction characters were dismount tamers. All you did was wait for someone to recall in and gank the *** out of them with 2 runebeetles and 2 nightmares. From memory those characters were played fairly religiously for a number of weeks. and what was your guild name? wasnt it OPERATION: DESTROY FACTIONS? That doesnt sound like creating PVP. sounds like destroying PVP.

So really.. dont start the crap about creating PVP.

P

Paradox_

Ok lemme get a few things in before the lock.

harrowers - When? I havent seen you guys do a harrower for quite some time. I think the last harrower i seen you do was not long after you all came back. But then again I dont get on over the weekend, and apparently neither do you guys.

factions - this made me LOL. How did you try to create pvp in factions? Your first faction characters were dismount tamers. All you did was wait for someone to recall in and gank the *** out of them with 2 runebeetles and 2 nightmares. From memory those characters were played fairly religiously for a number of weeks. and what was your guild name? wasnt it OPERATION: DESTROY FACTIONS? That doesnt sound like creating PVP. sounds like destroying PVP.

So really.. dont start the crap about creating PVP.
And you guys created PvP by running every time an SSO player was on screen, chugging apples and waited for a mass dismount gank?

Noice.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We did a few harrowers which we OPENLY announced and told your guild (we did this more than once) and I can only recall one time when you guys actually showed up, only to get whiped out once and never come back.

Not only that but we were spawning and telling you about it in prime time constantly and you guys would crash us 1/20 or so times. It was pathetic how afraid of us you guys were.

Initially, yes, the Rons and a few others did try and ruin factions (because it was ****) but eventually we started pvping on our faction mages ect and whenever we fought you guys you WOULD NOT FIGHT US because you were afraid of stat loss. So then we decided just to play reds and fight your faction characters so you wouldn't get statted and you STILL would not fight us.

Honestly, you guys were horrid pvpers who relied on using apples and straight lining to live. In all my time pvping nobody ran more than whatever your guild was called (you changed names weekly), even TC at least would rely on lame chokeholds... you guys on the other hand were pathetic.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We did a few harrowers which we OPENLY announced and told your guild (we did this more than once) and I can only recall one time when you guys actually showed up, only to get whiped out once and never come back.

Not only that but we were spawning and telling you about it in prime time constantly and you guys would crash us 1/20 or so times. It was pathetic how afraid of us you guys were.

Initially, yes, the Rons and a few others did try and ruin factions (because it was ****) but eventually we started pvping on our faction mages ect and whenever we fought you guys you WOULD NOT FIGHT US because you were afraid of stat loss. So then we decided just to play reds and fight your faction characters so you wouldn't get statted and you STILL would not fight us.

Honestly, you guys were horrid pvpers who relied on using apples and straight lining to live. In all my time pvping nobody ran more than whatever your guild was called (you changed names weekly), even TC at least would rely on lame chokeholds... you guys on the other hand were pathetic.

Well as I said, I never seen you do a harrower very often. The last harrower I seen you do was one in fire dungeon not long after you lot started playing again.

With that tamer trick you turned alot of people off of PVP. I had noticed a few newer people giving it a try, until they got dismount ganked by pets constantly, and then shouting explicits... thus leaving just the regulars... Tell me how that is trying to encourage PVP.

Again.. with the apples... hypocrits..

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keen to see what thenow and others think about this video, apparently trash talk doesn't exist in sports:

[YOUTUBE]MjH4MCFjysw[/YOUTUBE]

E

Elwood

About to go to breakfast and saw this so I thought i'd throw my two cents worth in -

@ Held, yeah pet must love youtube, I noticed that too. He has a vid or pic for every situation. No offense pet but you must lead a boring life...

@ Clog, your comments are true, SSO's goal was to destroy factions period. They didn't like factions and just like spoilt brats they put all of their energy into ruining it as they didn't want anyone else playing faction either. Most of AUPK were not fans of factions either but we didn't create characters like dismount tamers and para blow dismount dexxers to destroy it, we were just happy for the extra pvp it created.

@ Pet, I agree we were not as good as the best of SSO (rons, you, cookie, drac) but not all of us have pvped for as long as you guys have or even been fighting together for as long as you guys have. The one major advantage SSO had was the fact that you had the two best field fighters in game, who just happened to be brothers who have played beside each other (quite literally) for a decade. Then you had the best dueller in cookie and two good players in you and drac. Yes, together you were the best in the field but I think that you have an inflated opinion of yourself, you were good yes but you were not the player you think you were. I pvped on a mage less than a quarter of the time you did and I was at the point when you left that I was on par with you.

Bottom line, the rons were your advantage over everyone else. Take them out of the fight and you won about 10% of the fights. We proved this many times.
As for the whole running, potting, apples thing Clog is right, you are all so hypocritical it's not funny

@ Paradox, mate sorry but you were an atrocious pvper who played amongst a core group of good players. Now I agree with you on a lot of things - the lack of PVP, the state of UO, the influence of the trams leading to the demise of this game etc but I don't see how you could even possibly ridcule any of us for our style of play.

@ Anyone, Whoever said that there is no trash talk in professional sport has no ****ing idea. It is rife in most sports, of course some more than others, but trust me it is accepted as part of the game. Sorry to burst the bubble of all the lifeless 'goody two shoes' out there...

T

thenow

Just to address Elwood's comment about trash talk in sports(no need to reply to other points as the points have already been made). To repeat myself again, yes trash talk does happen but it is NOT 'accepted'.Some sports have it more then others, some of US sports have it the worse. So, yeah, follow that way of playing a game if you want. And to repeat myself even more, theres a difference between trashtalk and calling someone racial, sexist or any other statemen that will LAND you a heavy fine and time off you chosen sport

P

Paradox_

seriously why do u even speak thenow? just go away

lol elwood, i took 4 apples every time i reregged and would have 50+ from ur corpses after fights. i would only apple if it was a gank. every time OPK was fighting EVEN NUMBERS you will pissbolt and to the elwood run and leave your team to get slaughtered, so dont get high and mighty on yourself.

S

siyeng0

theres a difference between trashtalk and calling someone racial
I have no problem with being called racial. Not even if the person gets my race wrong. But thank you for telling me that it's punishable by a fine; next time someone asks if I'm Jewish, I am taking them to court.

S

siyeng0

theres a difference between trashtalk and calling someone racial, sexist or any other statemen that will LAND you a heavy fine and time off you chosen sport
What, so calling someone sexist is a fineable offence now? Hot damn! This is awesome, we're going to have to start calling people chauvinist or misogynistic instead, and you know how I love extraneous polysyllabics!

Speaking of big words, do you actually know how to use this language, or do you formulate your sentences by stabbing a Japanese dictionary with a pin, typing up the string of words by slapping your keyboard with a tennis racquet, and then running the resulting word salad through Babelfish? Because seriously...

P

Paradox_

he is writing a book remember, lets not judge this aspiring artist.

S

siyeng0

he is writing a book remember, lets not judge this aspiring artist.
...really? He's seriously writing a book?

That's-

...well, I certainly-

...we can only hope that-

*sarcasm failure* Oh, I give up, there are no words.

E

Elwood

Just to address Elwood's comment about trash talk in sports(no need to reply to other points as the points have already been made). To repeat myself again, yes trash talk does happen but it is NOT 'accepted'.
I played Rugby League all my life from a kid right through to the top level. During that time I got to know some AFL, cricket and soccer players and from EXPERIENCE I can tell you that in all of these team sports trashtalk is common place.

Some sports have it more then others, some of US sports have it the worse.
I tried and tried to understand what you were trying to say here but it was giving me a headache so I stopped, sorry.

theres a difference between trashtalk and calling someone racial, sexist or any other statemen that will LAND you a heavy fine and time off you chosen sport
Um, yes we know that dude. There is also a difference between professional sport (or any level of sport for that matter) and an online computer game.
We have been talking about UO here, which is a computer game, and we are talking about 'trash talk'. Everyone knows that racial insults in sport (and in many other parts of life) will land you in hot water. Did you think you were telling us something new here?

Oh and I can't remember the last sportsperson who was fined and/or suspended for a sexist comment, refresh my memory.

E

Elwood

lol elwood, i took 4 apples every time i reregged and would have 50+ from ur corpses after fights. i would only apple if it was a gank.
Are you trying to say that you never chewed an apple in a 1v1 situation in the field??? Come on man please, you might as well tell me that you have x ray vision and can fly. All i'm saying is that you and your guild members, who whinge about running/pots/apples, would use them just as much as us.

It was like when you used to cry about dismounts yet the rons each had a stealth tamer that they would play, pet, cookie and ash played a dismount archer at times (I can't remember whether you or heron had one) not to mention that you all used a bardiche on your dexxers for para blow / dismounts.

every time OPK was fighting EVEN NUMBERS you will pissbolt and to the elwood run and leave your team to get slaughtered, so dont get high and mighty on yourself.
Mate the 'elwood run' comments were started by the Rons and it was when I first started pvping on a mage. Yeah I was a noob who used to wear a shield and didn't even pot. Yeah, I used to run a lot to try and stay alive through bleed/poison (often unsuccessfully). However in a relatively short period (12 months or so) I improved heaps. Not the best on the shard by any means but I did pretty good. Now you have been pvping with some of the best players on the shard for what? 6-8 years and yet you remain woeful. Why?

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the whole running, potting, apples thing Clog is right, you are all so hypocritical it's not funny
Glad to know that i'm not the only one thinking this. Ive counted numerous times where someone from SSO has appled 1v1 when i got strangle on them.. And chugged pots too..

P

Paradox_

Glad to know that i'm not the only one thinking this. Ive counted numerous times where someone from SSO has appled 1v1 when i got strangle on them.. And chugged pots too..
LOL

Hitler: The jews suck lol lets kill them all
Rommel: lol im glad im not the only one thinking this, so it must be true. lets go gas them

Status
Not open for further replies.