• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's for dinner?

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a previous thread I spoke about curry leaf trees and mentioned that I would post something we use them in.

This is a meal my wife makes quite often in our house. On the bottom is Uppma, on the top left is Kadala Curry, and top right is Raita.

These dishes are South Indian comfort foods. Every household might do it slightly different, but they would be easily recognized nonetheless.

Uppma is traditionally made with semolina (it's kind of like cream of wheat), but we often use quinoa instead -the quinoa version is in the pic. It's a very spicy dish with hot dried chilies and other spices. People put leftover vegetables into this dish and is typically stir-fried with coconut oil in a wok. This dish always has curry leaves. Very tasty.

The Kadala Curry in this pic is a dry curry. Often you would see this prepared wet. (more like a soup or stew) Not usually spicy, but it can be... It's simply chickpeas, onions, peppers, chilies, and spices. This dish can have curry leaves, but sometimes it doesn't.

The Raita is plain yogurt with fresh onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, hot green chilis (serranos) and a little salt. You mix it with the uppma. The yogurt is sour and compliments the savory uppma quite nicely. I have seen curry leaves in this dish, but it's unusual.

In India this would be a breakfast. We usually eat it for lunch or dinner.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, we like it spicy, and in Kerala (where my wife is from) it's always prepared very spicy. It is easily made without using so much heat. The Uppma flavor is really in the curry leaves, mustard seeds and ginger. To me, the chilies are just a little extra kick.