• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) What would you do...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
for the Umbra Hub?

This is for the Umbra Hub as is at the time it is awarded. Every house linked to the Umbra Hub will have an opportunity to remove that tile before this transaction is competed.

I will remove some few personal items before the transfer. Almost all deco will stay and become the property of the winner. I will have these items removed before Oct 12. All of the tiles will stay

All responses must be posted here on Stratics. This contest will end midnight 12/31/2015. Central U.S. Time Zone.

Editing of essays is allowed until the posted end date. I will award the house on or before 1/31/2016.

That is it for disclaimers.

The event will be in the form of an essay.
I. A little about who you are.
Do not post any personal information. No other rules here.
II. What would you do with the Umbra Hub?
There are no other rules on this than required by Stratics.
III. What would you give me for it?
Be creative, gold is boring. Real cash is illegal. Gold is still accepted... just saying.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I hope the Winner will be someone who care and will keep the hub public for many years. I would be sad to see someone take over the hub and then stop playing after a few months.

Becca

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is this for the umbra hub house or the abyss house?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i would truly love to take over the Hub, but I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to give it the time it would deserve. I will continue to help with keeping any rechargeable teletiles filled though. Good luck to all those interested.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
For the Hub East of Umbra.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yeah, Vic. My leisure time is not what it once was. I am hoping some one will want to put some time into this fairly well known public house. Maybe I am wrong. There are several nice public Hubs now. I would love to see what a real builder would do with it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, Vic. My leisure time is not what it once was. I am hoping some one will want to put some time into this fairly well known public house. Maybe I am wrong. There are several nice public Hubs now. I would love to see what a real builder would do with it.
Well, that's a damn shame. The hub is one of the most useful community tools on the shard, I'd hate to see it fall or become private. If I was more active I would happily write you an essay! :(

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You could try. Let me decide if yer a nobody.

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been kicking this around in my head... still on the fence though.... I will continue to consider...

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you said no other rules, however would you consider adding a request that whomever does take over the hub, should they not be able to maintain it, that they would do the same as you are doing? It's well known, an asset to the shard and really should be kept running for the benefit of the shard.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That is indeed my goal. I want it to stay as a public facility with some fresh ideas.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i thought about what i would do, and one thing came to mind: Story night. that and put the rune library i got from an IDOC up. If I i had the time, this is what i would do. The story night would be something that could build community in my opinion, plus they have always been fun (again, my opinion) oh and i'd station Lola there handing out her cookies!!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Wonderful idea, Vic. I have always wanted to run a pub like that. I have not had time like that since Iantown, and I do not see me having time like that until I retire.

I would love to see it used in a better more active way. I used to hustle for locations to link too... It deserves better stewardship.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
30 day bump...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would keep it part of the hub network and then open it up as a bar/meeting place for the shard...la

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That is a fine idea, Rico. I really wanted to make a place like that. I fear I can never re create that feeling of running a tavern in a player run community. I have neither the time or the assistance I used to have. I burned a lot of bridges.

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am surprised you would say that. I guess wisdom really does come with age. My respect for you has increased, not that it means anything at any rate, but it has.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a fine idea, Rico. I really wanted to make a place like that. I fear I can never re create that feeling of running a tavern in a player run community. I have neither the time or the assistance I used to have. I burned a lot of bridges.
Bridges on the forums and playing in game is completely different. We've had our differences on these forums, but that never translated into game time...la

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, so if I take the time to formally write an essay, it'll probably never happen, but it would've been magnificent, you should've seen the opening and closing arguments I wrote for the Gooch trial that never was....

So, I'm someone who uses the Hub fairly often. In conjunction with the other places it connects to, I get around easily, and I would say it's an important part of our shard. I've been reading and re-reading comments and other threads to get some of idea of what we need right now. Here's some ideas of what I could do with the Hub, with the time I have, and how I would go about accomplishing them...

Everyone seems to want a Rune Library. With the addition of these atlases we got for Christmas, I think that could be done without being a huge expanse of runebooks stacked with benches. One of my problems with rune libs is how much space they take up, deco and lockdown wise. So, anyone with a rune library they'd like to share, I'd be willing to go around and copy the runes, put them in the new books (which I hope Sara Dale is going to sell) and dedicate some space to runic means of travel.

Our shard has a lot of other cool places too, and while the Hub could be a bar/pub sort of thing, I think it would be better to try and highlight some of our other destinations. We've got the Coffee House in New Magincia, We've got the Saloon in Luna. We've got the Onsen in Safe Haven. I'm sure there are plenty of others I'm not thinking of. I think we could coordinate some small events at these places every once in awhile, tied in to the Hub in that it's providing easy access to said places. Either by a temporary or permanent teleporter. Same with Vendors, shop owners could have "sales" when they've done a big restock, and have their tele featured in a special spot.

I liked Vic's storytime idea. It's something that could help us get together in GAME instead of just in CHAT. This could be a regularly scheduled thing, or it could be on different days/times. It could also be part of highlighting the different gathering places around the shard. Volunteers would of course be crucial to this type of thing, as there is only so much BS I can dish out (despite the length of this post)

I think the Hub would be a good place to exchange gear we cant use, like Tanivar was talking about. No one seems to be running a vendor that sells loot anymore, and I know I get stuff that is great, but I can't use it, and it just collects dust, or worse, decays in the corpse. I'd be interested in trying to set up a gear exchange, I fully realize that it's something that could be griefed, but I'd be willing to try it.

So that's the core of what I would try to do. I would give the place a redesign probably, to incorporate different new features. I would keep the seasonal décor current. Also, if I ever found myself leaving the game for any reason, or without the time to do things, I would be sure to find an heir to the Hub, rather than let it decay. I haven't let a UO house decay yet, so it wouldn't start here.

I think I'm done... if I think of anything I left out, I'll post it later....